GM Inside News Forum banner

(Autoblog) 2019 Chevrolet Silverado Review: Testing the Double Cab & 2.7-Liter Turbo

4K views 33 replies 22 participants last post by  germeezy1 
#1 ·
(Autoblog) 2019 Chevrolet Silverado Review: Testing the Double Cab & 2.7-Liter Turbo

Autoblog
April 9th, 2019

It's typical for manufacturers to present top-dollar, high-powered trucks for media evaluation, so it's refreshing to see a mid-grade choice like this 2019 Chevy Silverado LT pass through our garage. Extended cabs in particular are rare, as are the longer bed lengths they're attached to. This really did feel like the sort of truck the majority of buyers would take home, as opposed to this. However, the real question will be how much of that majority chooses the four-cylinder engine option. Saying "no" seems likely to be the knee-jerk reaction for many truck buyers, but given its stronger power and fuel economy (however negligible it might be), it's certainly more appealing than a base V6. But when compared to a Ford turbo V6 or a Ram mild-hybrid V8 for similar money, it's a much tougher sell.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/04/09/2019-chevrolet-silverado-review-double-cab-turbo-four/

#3 ·
Re: (Autoblog) 2019 Chevrolet Silverado Review: Testing the Double Cab & 2.7-Liter Tu

Ford's 2.7L V6 turbo engine delivers superior performance, refinement, and fuel economy in the F-150 at a similar price point as GM's 2.7L I4 turbo engine in the Silverado and Sierra.

#6 ·
Re: (Autoblog) 2019 Chevrolet Silverado Review: Testing the Double Cab & 2.7-Liter Tu

From this small sample size, it sure seems like a 48-volt mild hybrid system is a better way of achieving superior fuel economy without sacrificing capability than a giant turbocharged four-cylinder.
I'm not a truck owner, what are you "giving up" buying the 4 cylinder? Sounds like it has the power and you gain some mpg's. Doesn't the engine have a lot of power down low (as I recall reading) so you can pull stumps, etc? So what is given up other than being able to say "I have a V8"?

#14 ·

I'm not a truck owner, what are you "giving up" buying the 4 cylinder? Sounds like it has the power and you gain some mpg's. Doesn't the engine have a lot of power down low (as I recall reading) so you can pull stumps, etc? So what is given up other than being able to say "I have a V8"?
As mentioned in the article, subjective aspects are critical to many pickup truck buyers, especially as they relate to engine sound and smoothness. Some pony car customers are the same way - to them, a Camaro/Mustang/Challenger isn't "real" unless it has that V8 engine note, regardless of objective performance metrics.

Ford has done a great job marketing turbo V6 engines to pickup truck customers accustomed to a V8. It remains to be seen if GM can pull that off with the 2.7L 4-cylinder turbo in the Silverado and Sierra.

#7 ·

This says everything you need to know about the state of the new T1s:

Article said:
That's a problem, because besides packing a more appealing engine, the Ram is just a far nicer truck. It's not just a matter of the new Ram being superlative, it's the Silverado being disappointing. Although the quality of materials isn't notably worse, the Silverado's design is ugly, slab-like and dour. It gives off a low-rent vibe despite heated leather seating and plenty of other niceties. The Ram also has a more natural, crossover-like driving position, a multitude of clever storage solutions, and the superior ride. Much of the same can be said in comparison to a Ford F-150 Lariat, which when comparably equipped and packed with its 2.7-liter turbo V6, would be about $1,000 more than our four-cylinder Silverado.
And quite frankly, they were being generous, especially about the material bit. These new trucks are simply not good enough, in any facet.

Ugly, overpriced, poor interior, poor ride quality, and questionable crash safety.

#13 ·

This says everything you need to know about the state of the new T1s:

And quite frankly, they were being generous, especially about the material bit. These new trucks are simply not good enough, in any facet.

Ugly, overpriced, poor interior, poor ride quality, and questionable crash safety.
You just hate. Ride is second to Ram's air ride and drive-ability is superior to all full sized by what I've read. Still not the truck I want but closer.

#11 ·

I still like it and I still want one, kinda. I was looking/comparing with the Ram prices (wont buy a Ford) on the very low end, just one step above the work trim. I am ok with that bland interior as I don't want any sunroofs or fancy stuff. I would even get the 4cyl, I don't put it to work much. I don't want the normal Tcase, give me the crippled one, it will work for me and what I have to do with it. Get me the V6, as I said, I don't tow much, but for crying out loud, 6 speed? Seriously, GM? So many things I have to oversee with Chevy to get a low trim the way I want it, might as well give up. F^%CK YOU, GM, for pushing this high prices schema sh1t you do.

#12 ·

I still like it and I still want one, kinda. I was looking/comparing with the Ram prices (wont buy a Ford) on the very low end, just one step above the work trim. I am ok with that bland interior as I don't want any sunroofs or fancy stuff. I would even get the 4cyl, I don't put it to work much. I don't want the normal Tcase, give me the crippled one, it will work for me and what I have to do with it. Get me the V6, as I said, I don't tow much, but for crying out loud, 6 speed? Seriously, GM? So many things I have to oversee with Chevy to get a low trim the way I want it, might as well give up. F^%CK YOU, GM, for pushing this high prices schema sh1t you do.
It’s called the autonomous,electric tax, GM wants YOU to pay for their development!

#16 ·

I rode tested a 2019 Double Cab Silverado 1500 WT before buying the 2018 .
My take.
It drove nice. But so did my 2015 I was trading in.
I asked the salesman if it was the same V6 and trans that was in my 2015 WT 1500.
He told me yes.
At that point , I'm already convinced its the same chassis with new sheetmetal.
The interior?
The flooring looks like hard plastic compared to the softer rubber on the 2018.
The missing standard features compared to a WT 2018.
Like cruise? Sunglass stowage ? Lumbar adjust on drivers seat?
I'm sure I'm in the minority buying a WT, but when I buy a new truck every 3 years, I want certain things.
Raising the price and taking things away isn't going to keep me coming back.

#20 ·

I rode tested a 2019 Double Cab Silverado 1500 WT before buying the 2018 .
My take.
It drove nice. But so did my 2015 I was trading in.
I asked the salesman if it was the same V6 and trans that was in my 2015 WT 1500.
He told me yes.
At that point , I'm already convinced its the same chassis with new sheetmetal.
The interior?
The flooring looks like hard plastic compared to the softer rubber on the 2018.
The missing standard features compared to a WT 2018.
Like cruise? Sunglass stowage ? Lumbar adjust on drivers seat?
I'm sure I'm in the minority buying a WT, but when I buy a new truck every 3 years, I want certain things.
Raising the price and taking things away isn't going to keep me coming back.
This is EXACTLY why Chevy is getting destroyed.

#19 · (Edited)

I think what annoys people so much about the Chevy is that they put so much effort into making a weird/ugly looking truck (I actually like it quite a bit), while they didn't pay enough attention to the substance. They just left tons of room for RAM to swoop in and innovate, and they are REALLY going to be hurting with the all-new 2021 F-150 which even goes Hybrid and All Electric with a RAM-style 12" infotainment system among a TON of other amenities like adaptive steering and IRS. Now they are going to be further submerged by Ford and RAM.

I think the success story will ultimately come down to GMC, and the new Full-Size SUVs.

But GM just keeps missing the boat on the full-size trucks, I don't get it. This is not a dumb or incompetent company. But it's a company that needs to do a much better job standing out.

#22 ·

I think what annoys people so much about the Chevy is that they put so much effort into making a weird/ugly looking truck (I actually like it quite a bit), while they didn't pay enough attention to the substance. They just left tons of room for RAM to swoop in and innovate, and they are REALLY going to be hurting with the all-new 2021 F-150 which even goes Hybrid and All Electric with a RAM-style 12" infotainment system among a TON of other amenities like adaptive steering and IRS. Now they are going to be further submerged by Ford and RAM.

I think the success story will ultimately come down to GMC, and the new Full-Size SUVs.

But GM just keeps missing the boat on the full-size trucks, I don't get it. This is not a dumb or incompetent company. But it's a company that needs to do a much better job standing out.
Makes you wonder if it's all deliberate; I think it safe to say that at least some of it is.

My 2018 has shortcomings, a few more than the 2019, but better in other areas, I knew that up-front and accepted it, along with the almost 30% discount I recieved.

I suspect GM's Q1 earning are going to blow the doors off expectations, this is good for executives, but not good for buyers and I suspect nothing but a short-term pop for shareholders, just like quarters past.

#34 ·

I wouldn't care if GM offered a twin turbo 6.2 V8 with 40 mpg city the rest of the truck is pure, and unadulterated trash.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.