The 2022 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Will Pack a Screaming NA V-8 Engine - Page 3

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The 2022 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Will Pack a Screaming NA V-8 Engine

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: The 2022 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Will Pack a Screaming NA V-8 Engine

Some are not happy with the origin of the V8 in the Corvette. It's okay and I respect their right to want to respect tradition.

I can imagine, however, their reaction when Chevrolet offers a Corvette equipped with a 100 kWh battery, electric all-wheel drive and a 4-speed manual transmission on the rear axle.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,144 Times in 2,647 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by YesImOld View Post
    Some are not happy with the origin of the V8 in the Corvette. It's okay and I respect their right to want to respect tradition.

I can imagine, however, their reaction when Chevrolet offers a Corvette equipped with a 100 kWh battery, electric all-wheel drive and a 4-speed manual transmission on the rear axle.
    Well I'm confused, why would an AWD BEV Corvette have a four speed manual transmission?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,493 Times in 851 Posts

While I find the Corvette to be amazing. It is starting to get to the point that if I wanted one of the zoomier levels of performance I can't afford it and if that's the case then I don't want it and then I loose interest.....I never thought I'd loose interest in new Corvettes,but it seem to be happening ever so slowly.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels
    This is going to go the same way as the Camaro, the base level performance is going to be more than enough for most buyers, the really hardcore buyers will get their models but really not necessary for most buyers.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,989 Times in 1,556 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
    And then all the V8 fans go why does the FPC sound so bad?
    And then you gotta explain that the FPC makes firing order and sound like two four cylinders.
    GT350 didn't sound like 2 4cyl engines... especially the GT350R in "piss off your neighbors mode" sounded absolutely viscous. I have zero doubt that a FPC Z will sound just as good, if not better
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

Thanks
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    GT350 didn't sound like 2 4cyl engines... especially the GT350R in "piss off your neighbors mode" sounded absolutely viscous. I have zero doubt that a FPC Z will sound just as good, if not better
    I like the sound and to me, it does sound more like two angry four cylinders together than a cross plane V8
    the reason I pointed the sound out is because but I know that others who don't understand why it's different
    will bitch and moan.

I remember watching an old IROC-Z with a flat plane Chevy strut it stuff and thinking
    what a high pitch snarl had, just like the GT350.

Thanks
    My Ride
    See Sig

Quote Originally Posted by Cobaltss_King View Post
    I find it hard to believe that there won't be a GS model. Though the Z51 package is quite capable this time around. We also could see a upgrade to the Z51 instead.
    IIRC there were also rumors of no GS for C7 generation. GS traditionally (C6 & C7 models, so back ~15 years) comes after Z06 to keep the lineup fresh, using a Z06 derived wide-body with some small/cheap changes. It has suspension/brakes/aero improvements from the Z-cars with some tweaks to integrate the overall package, using the base engine. I wouldn't expect to hear about a GS until a few years after the Z06 hype has died down. I also wouldn't expect the C6 and C7 GS equation to change much for C8, but it would be awesome if it got its own higher output N/A engine vs. the base cars.

Quote Originally Posted by unkillsam View Post
    So the C4 Corvette ZR1 was not a Corvette?
    Well GM did impose the 4.4" bore spacing, so there is a very slight tie haha

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    I hate it when we become slaves to the past, for example a Corvette needing a certain type of engine to be a Corvette. A Corvette is a concept, a concept about driving experience and exciting looks, not what type of engine it is. You lose sight of the passion of driving once you become a slave to the past, where an engine type becomes more important than the driving experience. Technology changes therefore the mechanicals need to change, as long as they deliver that promise of good looks and fun to drive. A Corvette (Camaro too) doesn't have to have a V8, it has to have a lot of power.
    I agree for the most part, however power characteristics/delivery could also be argued to be part of the Corvette experience. Many Corvettes are used as DDs, and the low end torque is appreciated. A smaller displacement TT engine using modern turbos, controls, etc. can definitely deliver in the low end torque department, but some of those engines lack the higher RPM pull of a high performance N/A engine like the LT2 (let alone the real revver engines like a 5.2L Voodoo). The rumored 5.5L DOHC FPC engine would likely have a lot less low end grunt than the LT2 in the base C8, but have the performance revvy nature and high RPM power. So maybe that works in a Z06 track special, and the base LT2 still appeals to those used to the OHV power delivery. At the end of the day, if GM chooses to call it a Corvette, it's a Corvette. GM never seems to have issues selling the models that have departures from heritage like losing pop up head lights and round tail lights, so it's likely they'll be okay here too, as long as they keep the performance, overall experience, and looks, as you said.

Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
    I think that there was at least one exclusive Cadillac engine.....
    TT 4.2 V8
    TT 3.0 V6
    TT 3.6 V6

Happy to be proven wrong but,
    GM did spend money on exclusive engines for Cadillac that you just couldn't get in a Buick or Chevy or a GMC...
    And while you're right that all come from GM powertrain, GM loves to cloister its most interesting engines
    away behind walls of high priced exclusivity. No such pretentious behavior from Ford with its EB V6s.
    Agreed.

Also it doesn't seem likely that the Corvette DOHC engine will share much with the Blackwing aside from being DOHC and V8. The leaked CAD shows that the Corvette engine will not be "hot-V", so turbos outside the V will drive heads to be different. Sounds like the rumored displacements will probably need a different bore and bore spacing (Blackwing bore spacing can't support much more, and it already is a long stroke engine), so now you have a different block and pistons. If some or all the versions in Corvette have FPC, now you've got a different crank. Different power and RPM targets probably mean different valve sizes are required, so the valvetrain is now different too. So anyway I think a lot of people jump to assume a Blackwing relationship with any GM DOHC V8, and there may be some knowledge sharing and certain parts that can be shared, but I think it would be a stretch to assume they are the same architecture at this point until we know more. Can't wait!
    Current:
    2000 Corvette Convertible MN6 - Summer DD (CAI, LS6 intake mani, cam, valve springs, 25% UD Pulley, LT headers/X-pipe, C5Z06 Ti catback, C6Z51 anti-sway bars w/ custom heim joint end links, C6Z51 dampers, LG tunnel plate, Nitto NT05s)
    2013 Chevrolet Tahoe LT Z71
    1995 BMW M3 5 spd - Track toy - SOLD
    1998 Honda VFR800FI
    2005 Fleetwood Prowler 28' Travel Trailer
    Wife:
    2020 Equinox LT AWD

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cphelps For This Useful Post:

JBsZ06 (09-13-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels
    About a year ago, I read something about the C8 R race version for Le Mans requirements
    were something like 300 road versions to homologated the engine, maybe limited number
    and exclusivity....the irony is that just like the Ford GT, the road engine will have more power.
    Last year, the racing 5.5 Corvette engine was limited to ~500 HP and 480 lb ft..

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 1,081 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Red c8 corvette z51 fe4

Quote Originally Posted by Cphelps View Post
    IIRC there were also rumors of no GS for C7 generation. GS traditionally (C6 & C7 models, so back ~15 years) comes after Z06 to keep the lineup fresh, using a Z06 derived wide-body with some small/cheap changes. It has suspension/brakes/aero improvements from the Z-cars with some tweaks to integrate the overall package, using the base engine. I wouldn't expect to hear about a GS until a few years after the Z06 hype has died down. I also wouldn't expect the C6 and C7 GS equation to change much for C8, but it would be awesome if it got its own higher output N/A engine vs. the base cars.

Well GM did impose the 4.4" bore spacing, so there is a very slight tie haha

I agree for the most part, however power characteristics/delivery could also be argued to be part of the Corvette experience. Many Corvettes are used as DDs, and the low end torque is appreciated. A smaller displacement TT engine using modern turbos, controls, etc. can definitely deliver in the low end torque department, but some of those engines lack the higher RPM pull of a high performance N/A engine like the LT2 (let alone the real revver engines like a 5.2L Voodoo). The rumored 5.5L DOHC FPC engine would likely have a lot less low end grunt than the LT2 in the base C8, but have the performance revvy nature and high RPM power. So maybe that works in a Z06 track special, and the base LT2 still appeals to those used to the OHV power delivery. At the end of the day, if GM chooses to call it a Corvette, it's a Corvette. GM never seems to have issues selling the models that have departures from heritage like losing pop up head lights and round tail lights, so it's likely they'll be okay here too, as long as they keep the performance, overall experience, and looks, as you said.

Agreed.

Also it doesn't seem likely that the Corvette DOHC engine will share much with the Blackwing aside from being DOHC and V8. The leaked CAD shows that the Corvette engine will not be "hot-V", so turbos outside the V will drive heads to be different. Sounds like the rumored displacements will probably need a different bore and bore spacing (Blackwing bore spacing can't support much more, and it already is a long stroke engine), so now you have a different block and pistons. If some or all the versions in Corvette have FPC, now you've got a different crank. Different power and RPM targets probably mean different valve sizes are required, so the valvetrain is now different too. So anyway I think a lot of people jump to assume a Blackwing relationship with any GM DOHC V8, and there may be some knowledge sharing and certain parts that can be shared, but I think it would be a stretch to assume they are the same architecture at this point until we know more. Can't wait!

Interesting analysis on bore and stroke of blackwing and while I agree the hit vee twin tirbo set up will be replaced with a more traditional twin turbo layout in the c8 z06...

Im not quite sure a 3.9 liter version of the blackwing wouldnt easily match ferraris 3.9 bore and stroke

86 x 88 for the ferrari 3.9 versus cadillacs 86 x 90 mm bore and stroke on the 4.2 twin turbo blackwing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_F154_engine

Seems adjusting stroke for the reasons you mentioned would be quite simple for the corvette team.

I dont know the answer to the question being raised.

I just feel meeting performance, emissions and fuel effociency tests the twin turbo layout is better suited for performance vehicles these days.

Its really the emissions and fuel efficiency of forced induction that leads the charge even for extremely high performance vehicles.

Naturally asporated motors could easily meet the performance critera requirements..lits the fuel efficiency and emissions that puts a strain on using naturally aspirated even for GM. The masters of naturally aspirated designed powerplants.

Id be surprised to see the z06 with a naturally aspirated powerplant in this day and age reaching power levels required for supercar killer status. JMO
    2008 black c6 corvette z51 m6 on black c7 z51 19/20s and 2018 Bright red alfa stelvio ti sport on 20 s with sport seats

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,308 Times in 4,035 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by JBsZ06 View Post
    Interesting analysis on bore and stroke of blackwing and while I agree the hit vee twin tirbo set up will be replaced with a more traditional twin turbo layout in the c8 z06...

Im not quite sure a 3.9 liter version of the blackwing wouldnt easily match ferraris 3.9 bore and stroke

86 x 88 for the ferrari 3.9 versus cadillacs 86 x 90 mm bore and stroke on the 4.2 twin turbo blackwing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_F154_engine

Seems adjusting stroke for the reasons you mentioned would be quite simple for the corvette team.

I dont know the answer to the question being raised.

I just feel meeting performance, emissions and fuel effociency tests the twin turbo layout is better suited for performance vehicles these days.

Its really the emissions and fuel efficiency of forced induction that leads the charge even for extremely high performance vehicles.

Naturally asporated motors could easily meet the performance critera requirements..lits the fuel efficiency and emissions that puts a strain on using naturally aspirated even for GM. The masters of naturally aspirated designed powerplants.

Id be surprised to see the z06 with a naturally aspirated powerplant in this day and age reaching power levels required for supercar killer status. JMO
    Very good insights, for me without an engineering background, I have always wondered why they didn’t build upon the LS motor in the C6, perhaps increase compression ratios and wring out more power, up to 550, perhaps, and keep the same architecture as well as Tradition of OHV character.

The 2012, 2013 Z06 Centennial edition still remains for me the quintessential, Z06, Manual, Naturally aspirated, less weight than its Ferrari contemporary, and an absolute beast at the track. Even today, that thing will take down a lot of unsuspecting super cars.

Perhaps update it with a DCT.. but keep the Lotus Formula.. lesscweight, track focus..

Yup, and I would throw in a/28 spool valves from multi matic..for the ultimate track weapon...

I think the GS could have accomplished the sales targets of Corvette without diluting the Z06 brand.

Once there was an automatic.. and more weight.. throw in the unfinished track readiness of the C7 Z06, the brand is somewhat tarnished...
    Last edited by mbukukanyau; 09-13-2020 at 11:48 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

JBsZ06 (09-13-2020)

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

other places are refuting that it will use twin turbos.

16. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information