2021 Chevrolet Tahoe First Drive - Bigger, bolder, better

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2021 Chevrolet Tahoe First Drive - Bigger, bolder, better

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,110 Times in 1,030 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

2021 Chevrolet Tahoe First Drive - Bigger, bolder, better

2021 Chevrolet Tahoe First Drive | Bigger, bolder, better
    The Tahoe is a real contender as the best big SUV
    JOEL STOCKSDALE
    Aug 10th 2020
    autoblog.com

The 2021 Chevrolet Tahoe is the first full redesign of Chevy’s full-size SUV since the 2015 model year, and it’s a major one. It has a completely new independent rear suspension, a larger body, a new diesel engine option and many new features. The major overhaul is a bid to stay competitive against its archrival, the Ford Expedition, which received its own full redesign a couple years ago. To see how the changes have affected Chevy’s big SUV, we spent some time in a pre-production Z71 example and found it to be a well-packaged SUV with a greatly improved interior, but the driving experience is a bit of a mixed-bag.

The Tahoe has a few different engine and suspension options available. The standard engine is a 5.3-liter V8 making 355 horsepower and 383 pound-feet of torque, and at the moment, it’s the only engine available on all but the High Country trim level. That gets a 6.2-liter V8 making 420 hp and 460 lb-ft of torque. That's the same output as the previous model's optional 6.2, but both engines now come with the Dynamic Fuel Management cylinder deactivation that can shut off any cylinder in any order the computer wants as opposed to simply switching off a set bank of cylinders. Both engines also now come with a 10-speed automatic transmission.

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE
    "La vita č come un albero di Natale..c'č sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nadepalma For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (08-10-2020),b4z (08-11-2020),BlackGTP (08-10-2020),buildacariwant (08-10-2020),Cobaltss_King (08-10-2020),DequindreToo (08-10-2020),EJD1984 (08-11-2020),eklauss (08-11-2020),Vagon11 (08-10-2020)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Re: 2021 Chevrolet Tahoe First Drive - Bigger, bolder, better

More than a solid review.

The IRS investment will pay off, and then some. The Expedition is a really solid, attractive product, and GM needed to bring a better game to the playing field. It looks like they delivered.

Surprising that the fuel economy didn't improve much at all, but hopefully there is some sort of mild-hybridization (or other solution) on the horizon. After all, GM makes massive money on these products. While gas is cheap and plentiful now, all it would take is a protracted spike for these products to suddenly seem over-indulgent and excessive for most consumers. No one has a crystal ball, but if energy markets become volatile, it would be better to insulate against such a scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by autoblog.com
    There's little to dissuade from the civility inside the radically remade interior. The rounded shape of the main dash is elegant and has a nice little cowl over the top for added visual interest. On higher trims, the dash is wrapped in nice simulated leather. It's all a sharp contrast to the lumpy, dreary Silverado interior, and indeed GM should be credited with giving the Tahoe (and GMC Yukon) a unique interior design from its pickup siblings. Ford just pressed copy and paste from F-150 to Expedition.
    The last comment on Ford's F-150/Expedition interior being virtually the same is true --- for now anyway. If the rumors are true, than the "lumpy, dreary" Silverado/Sierra interior is going to be soon replaced by the Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon interior.

So that praise to GM is obviously nice, but it may be short lived.
    Last edited by nadepalma; 08-10-2020 at 11:19 AM.
    "La vita č come un albero di Natale..c'č sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nadepalma For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (08-10-2020),BlackGTP (08-10-2020),mbukukanyau (08-12-2020),Scrambler (08-13-2020)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2003 Cadillac Escalade

As my family and its lifestyle allow only these kinds of vehicles in my own car market, the third row in both Suburban and Tahoe have become too small for my larger kids. The upgrade of the third row is well regarded here and they can't wait to replace our Suburban with a new one--when we are ready
    2018 Chevy Tahoe
    2017 Chevy Suburban
    2003 Cadillac Escalade -- 200K miles and still rollin' (current ride)
    Past Rides:
    2014 Buick Verano (Lease)
    2011 Cadillac CTS 3.0 (Lease)
    1998 Camaro Z28 -- RIP 1/2016

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 9,892 Times in 4,818 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by nadepalma View Post
    More than a solid review.

The IRS investment will pay off, and then some. The Expedition is a really solid, attractive product, and GM needed to bring a better game to the playing field. It looks like they delivered.

Surprising that the fuel economy didn't improve much at all, but hopefully there is some sort of mild-hybridization (or other solution) on the horizon. After all, GM makes massive money on these products. While gas is cheap and plentiful now, all it would take is a protracted spike for these products to suddenly seem over-indulgent and excessive for most consumers. No one has a crystal ball, but if energy markets become volatile, it would be better to insulate against such a scenario.

The last comment on Ford's F-150/Expedition interior being virtually the same is true --- for now anyway. If the rumors are true, than the "lumpy, dreary" Silverado/Sierra interior is going to be soon replaced by the Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon interior.

So that praise to GM is obviously nice, but it may be short lived.
    I assume the increased length and IRS and other luxuries added a decent amount of weight that took away the benefits of what I assume is a lighter frame and 10 speed efficiencies and cylinder deactivation. Still, I was expecting to see an improvement.

Overall a sweet looking ride. That Z71 looks awesome.

But damn - base price of $55k!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

eklauss (08-11-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    I assume the increased length and IRS and other luxuries added a decent amount of weight that took away the benefits of what I assume is a lighter frame and 10 speed efficiencies and cylinder deactivation. Still, I was expecting to see an improvement.

Overall a sweet looking ride. That Z71 looks awesome.

I think you're right on all counts. Plus, any additional "connectivity" always brings along with it additional weight (wiring, sensors, tc). If their electronic architecture saw any advancements, it's possible it may have also been a contributing (though, likely limited) factor.

In terms of pricing, you ain't kidding! I saw one at a local Chevy dealership and stopped. It was a "High Country" example and the sticker was $80K!!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nadepalma For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (08-10-2020),eklauss (08-11-2020)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    CTS-Vagon/11/BD/VetGS/19/white

I think you're right on all counts. Plus, any additional "connectivity" always brings along with it additional weight (wiring, sensors, tc). If their electronic architecture saw any advancements, it's possible it may have also been a contributing (though, likely limited) factor.

In terms of pricing, you ain't kidding! I saw one at a local Chevy dealership and stopped. It was a "High Country" example and the sticker was $80K!!
    Well, as the article points out, the base tahoe is slightly more than the expedition base and the loaded tahoe is slightly less than the loaded expedition. Sounds like pricing is about where you'd expect.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,124 Times in 3,940 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

People that want Tahoes simply will not cross shop. There is no replacing that V8 for some people.

CJH
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,034 Posts
    My Ride
    Audi S4, Merc GL

These have taken a big step forward. They have fixed all of my major complaints. I like the design, better packaging, nicer interiors and air suspension. I just don't like the pricing at the top end, where I would buy something else.

Surprising that the fuel economy didn't improve much at all, but hopefully there is some sort of mild-hybridization (or other solution) on the horizon. After all, GM makes massive money on these products.
    Larger + IRS = Heavier. Not much of a surprise, really.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    They haven't been "cheap" for a long time.

And it has about a $50/60K interior. I quite like the new Tahoe & 'Burban, but not at $80k. That's silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagon11 View Post
    Well, as the article points out, the base tahoe is slightly more than the expedition base and the loaded tahoe is slightly less than the loaded expedition. Sounds like pricing is about where you'd expect.
    Remember, Ford doesn't have a Yukon Denali, so they jack up the Expy Platinum pricing to bridge the gap. Really makes even less sense with GM, especially considering Denali has a nicer interior.
    Last edited by CJH; 08-11-2020 at 06:00 PM. Reason: grammar
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by CJH Hidden Content
    Don't be loyal to a company, be loyal to good product and service.
    Past Rides:
    Audi A6 4.2L
    QX80 - @Big Salvage Yard in the Sky
    Audi S4 2.7TT
    Durango Limited Hemi 5.7L
    Ford Explorer 5.0L
    Pontiac Grand AM 3.4L
    Chevy Corsica 3.0L
    Toyota Tercel "Turdcel"
    Ford LTD Station Wagon 5.0L "Blue Thunder"

b4z
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Pontiac GTO, 19 F150 2.7

im VERY disappointed to hear there are shakes and shudders in the body. hopefully thats the panoramic models not the hardtops. was hoping for a stiffer structure than our '18. BTW 22s are not a good fit for a tahoe. too much negative impact on ride quality, acceleration, braking and around town mpg.

b4z
    Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by GMOwner View Post
    As my family and its lifestyle allow only these kinds of vehicles in my own car market, the third row in both Suburban and Tahoe have become too small for my larger kids. The upgrade of the third row is well regarded here and they can't wait to replace our Suburban with a new one--when we are ready
    yes. past tahoes have not really had a lot of room inside and the third row has been a joke.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to b4z For This Useful Post:

CJH (08-13-2020)

b4z
    Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    People that want Tahoes simply will not cross shop. There is no replacing that V8 for some people.
    i think you are correct in your assessment of the intended buyer. but if you put some of those tahoe intenders in an ecoboost most would change their mind. our f150 2.7L will run rings around our 5.3 tahoe AND the seats are more comfortable.

b4z
    Thanks
    My Ride

During the Great Recession GM dropped any thought of gaining market share and went after per unit profit. in 2011 Chevy stopped with the huge incentives(especially at the end of the calendar year AND the model year) on Tahoe. The huge discounts advertised at $14K off mostly disappeared. Sales dropped but GM started making more money on each one AND resale improved. Chevy has been protecting its Tahoe business and profit, and that has never more true under Barra.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by b4z View Post
    i think you are correct in your assessment of the intended buyer. but if you put some of those tahoe intenders in an ecoboost most would change their mind. our f150 2.7L will run rings around our 5.3 tahoe AND the seats are more comfortable.
    Sounds like you had a chance to see and evaluate the new Tahoe. Tell us your experience

Thanks
    My Ride

For me personally the most dissapointing thing about this new generation of Tahoe and Suburban is the fact that Chevrolet did not give the Z71 package any locking Diff.
    Its like a no brainer! It should have mechanical locking diff in the back and electronic in the front. What is wrong with people at GM? Just charge more and give the people what they deserve.
    This is America. Locking diffs are a right

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (08-12-2020),CJH (08-13-2020)

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Yeah, that would have been a no-brainer. I don't know, they weren't thinking about this thoroughly. I just hope they'd be able to improve on their next design.

24. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information