2020 Chevrolet Corvette Order Guide Reveals LT2 Engine, Z51 Performance Package - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Chevrolet Corvette Order Guide Reveals LT2 Engine, Z51 Performance Package

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Greg Burr's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2017 Ford Mustang Pony

Re: 2020 Chevrolet Corvette Order Guide Reveals LT2 Engine, Z51 Performance Package

Quote Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
    Is there any possibility that GM will sell C7 and C8 models as new vehicles simultaneously once the latter is released? Perhaps with C7 as "Stingray Classic" or "Stingray Limited"?
    I sure hope that the C7 continues on as configured, with updates of course. The C8 will be way too expensive

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,544 Times in 1,014 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

Re: 2020 Chevrolet Corvette Order Guide Reveals LT2 Engine, Z51 Performance Package

C7 z51 with mrc, dct npp should cost 69500

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevrolet SS PBM

Sounds like the LT2 is what the LT1 could have been. Always thought that 455/460 HP was very conservative.
    "The car's brilliant and ... a great surprise, pleasant surprise for all Corvette lovers everywhere ... a huge shock to our competitors ... because I don't think anybody was expecting something that good. What pleases me the most about it was that ... I can say this is the first car that's come out, that was done since I left.

-- Bob Lutz, former vice chairman and head of global product development at GM

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,544 Times in 1,014 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

Quote Originally Posted by unkillsam View Post
    Sounds like the LT2 is what the LT1 could have been. Always thought that 455/460 HP was very conservative.
    I did too although the claim to fame for the 2014 LT1 was that it mimiced the hp and torque curve of the famous LS7 up to 4500 rpms.

Its a great engine yet I agree a hp boost to 500 hp diring a mid cycle refresh would have supported greater sales in the later part of c7 life cycle.

Corvette engineers suggested more hp in the standard stingray to the tune of say500 hp up from 460 hp would not have improved acceleration....i dont know if that statement is true or not...supposedly the torque curve was so steep it was better than having a different cam to manage 40 extra hp...

Hopefully the c8 hits 500 hp....with the LT 2...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JBsZ06 For This Useful Post:

unkillsam (03-28-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,772 Times in 1,057 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by unkillsam View Post
    GM Performance Parts sells an LT1 crate engine with ported heads and a high lift cam 535hp 470 tq

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JimmyDiablo For This Useful Post:

unkillsam (03-28-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Coming from a Corvette and Camaro family, where my Mom owns a 2016 Stingray 2LT Z51 and my Uncle owns a 1974 Stingray 4 speed and a 2013 427 convertible, and we are all active in a few clubs, I can ASSURE you that NO ONE is happy about the direction of this new Corvette.

GM is going to alienate and seriously anger the devoted fanbase of Corvette customers they've generated over 60 years. The formula of a front engine V8 and rear wheel drive with an option for a true 3 pedal manual transmission IS Corvette. Anything else is NOT Corvette, and should not have the name or the racing flags on it.

Unless GM's goal is to tell every long time Corvette owner to go truck themselves. Which seems to be the case here. We don't want a car that is a Ferrari or Lamborghini clone. No rear engine. That's not Corvette.

This is gut wrenching. GM better have plans to keep a version of the REAL Corvette in production along with this thing. It really has me nervous.

Thanks

I'll bet this is all for a MCE C7. Which is not a bad thing to keep around. We shall see.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to yamahr1 For This Useful Post:

AutoCrazy (03-27-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

They better keep C7 in production as long as possible if there's no manual option in 2020 Vette. Soon the only remaining performance cars with stick will be mustang, camaro, subaru impreza (ugly so I don't care much). Most of the manual-equipped cars here in Europe are ****ty basic transportation devices I am not willing to drive. Some are bearable for daily commuting but...they are mostly not offered with automatic so they don't make any sense to me.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 CaptainDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,289 Times in 695 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fastbal1 View Post
    ....The formula of a front engine V8 and rear wheel drive with an option for a true 3 pedal manual transmission IS Corvette. Anything else is NOT Corvette, and should not have the name or the racing flags on it.....
    Nonsense. A Corvette is about performance, not how you make that performance.

The original Corvette didn't even offer a V8. While the manual trans USED to be the only "real" path to performance (and the vast majority of cars I've owned have been manuals) that is simply no longer true. Even the manual trans take rate for Corvettes has fallen way off. My SS has a manual trans, but I'm sure that it will be my last manual trans car.

And secondarily, if a new Corvette appeals to all former Corvette owners, than you've designed a boring failure. It needs to be a leader, not just a continuation of an old formula.
    Last edited by CaptainDan; 03-27-2019 at 07:09 AM.
    '16 Chevy SS
    a 4 door Camaro

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainDan View Post

The original Corvette didn't even offer a V8. While the manual trans USED to be the only "real" path to performance (and the vast majority of cars I've owned have been manuals) that is simply no longer true. Even the manual trans take rate for Corvettes has fallen way off. My SS has a manual trans, but I'm sure that it will be my last manual trans car.

And secondarily, if a new Corvette appeals to all former Corvette owners, than you've designed a boring failure. It needs to be a leader, not just a continuation of an old formula.
    The reason there was no V8 for the first 2 years is because Chevy did not yet have the OHV V8 available to them. It was only with Oldsmobile and Cadillac until 1955.

Ask Ford how their concept of turning the Mustang into what became the Probe worked out for them. Lots of hate mail. Guess what - 30 years later it's still front engine, rear drive, with a manual.

I've already written to GM and will continue to do so. This is absolutely unacceptable, and for someone like you who really has no clue about the Corvette community to state otherwise, your opinion doesn't count or matter.

This is something we take very seriously. You need to talk to people in the Corvette community. GM is angering a LOT of people, and will LOSE customers over this. I can tell you that for certain.

GM is f'ing this up.
    Last edited by fastbal1; 03-27-2019 at 07:20 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrambler View Post
    They better keep C7 in production as long as possible if there's no manual option in 2020 Vette. Soon the only remaining performance cars with stick will be mustang, camaro, subaru impreza (ugly so I don't care much). Most of the manual-equipped cars here in Europe are ****ty basic transportation devices I am not willing to drive. Some are bearable for daily commuting but...they are mostly not offered with automatic so they don't make any sense to me.
    That's because basic transportation devices are the only place manuals make sense anymore. You want performance? A manual transmission just doesn't lie in that path anymore.
    '16 Chevy SS
    a 4 door Camaro

Thanks

You really have no clue. You are ok with alienating and angering people apparently. Ask Ford how their concept of turning the Mustang into what became the Probe worked out for them. Guess what - 30 years later it's still front engine, rear drive, with a manual.

I've already written to GM and will continue to do so. This is absolutely unacceptable, and for someone like you who really has no clue about the Corvette community to state otherwise, your opinion doesn't count or matter.

This is something we take very seriously. You need to talk to people in the Corvette community.
    People laugh and point at me when I talk to myself.

Get a clue dude. Corvette people whined and complained at EVERY Corvette redesign. I mean, I get it, we enthusiasts are passionate about our cars. But we Corvette owners always want BETTER Corvettes. If not, if you want an old one, they're available. But you don't have to drag down the future cars by demanding stagnation.

And you'll find that a Mustang is generally NOT a manual trans, and offers non-V8s. Actually ALWAYS have. I worked at Ford during that "Probe as the new Mustang" debacle. Yeah, the Probe was no kind of performance car at all. Glad they never went through with that. Not that the following Fox-based Mustangs were much good either (it's embarrassing to say, but I owned 3 of them)
    '16 Chevy SS
    a 4 door Camaro

18. The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainDan For This Useful Post:

vortec22 (04-02-2019)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,078 Times in 551 Posts

The reason there was no V8 for the first 2 years is because Chevy did not yet have the OHV V8 available to them. It was only with Oldsmobile and Cadillac until 1955.

Ask Ford how their concept of turning the Mustang into what became the Probe worked out for them. Lots of hate mail. Guess what - 30 years later it's still front engine, rear drive, with a manual.

This is something we take very seriously. You need to talk to people in the Corvette community. GM is angering a LOT of people, and will LOSE customers over this. I can tell you that for certain.

GM is f'ing this up.
    So little is known about the direction yet you're so fired up.

You lost me at - your opinion doesn't count or matter. Perhaps you need to get over yourself before you'll ever get over these changes.

I do wonder, did you also write them hate mail when they ditched the round taillights?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,772 Times in 1,057 Posts

GM is f'ing this up.
    Deaf, Blind, and Stupid is no way to go through life.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,182 Times in 2,406 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

That's because basic transportation devices are the only place manuals make sense anymore. You want performance? A manual transmission just doesn't lie in that path anymore.
    Once again, it's not about performance. There was even a thread on corvette forum and about 13% of people even raced their Corvette. It's about the feel of being in control and having that with your car. It can literally change a car. Just throwing away 21% of your customers to go after 13%? Sadness.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bballr4567 For This Useful Post:

fastbal1 (03-27-2019),Scrambler (03-27-2019)

23. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information