2019 Chevrolet Silverado High Country 4x4 Crew Cab: Pros And Cons - Page 3

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Chevrolet Silverado High Country 4x4 Crew Cab: Pros And Cons

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,500 Times in 1,087 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Re: 2019 Chevrolet Silverado High Country 4x4 Crew Cab: Pros And Cons

the 12" per the VID above is "better" for direct access to climate controls then the "OLD" 8.4 in the 4th gen ram
    there is a mode button on the drivers side that pops a popup mode select and all others are "hard" buttons along the bezzle

I am a "truck buyer" I have OWNED a lot of them and do NOT like cars as much as trucks

BUT I DO NOT want/buy the TOP of the LINE versions and AM OK with a "truck" interior

I OWN a SLT RAM and as soon as I saw the "custom" Silverado I wanted it but the 5.3L and 6 speed is a FULL STOP NO DEAL for me a cost+ for the 10 speed and I would LOOK

when I bought my RAM the 8 speed was a COST plus option available across the board and that was a "MUST HAVE" option and I bought my truck WITH it

as for interiors I find the GM ones OK and worse/better then the OTHER options a XLT ford is a "plastic fantastic" sea of grey N black the tradesmen does NOT even offer 2 tone door cards

the TOP of the LINE trucks I agree the GM's are WAY behind the pack

I was at the local boat show and a tundra 1794? and the new Silverado high country was there to paw over the TOY looks MUCH NICER with MATERIAL and PALLET choices as LONG as you don't look down to low
    the high country looked like a LT2 at best

IMHO GM needs to get away from the "stair step" mentality and OFFER the 10 speed and the DFM 5.3L on the "high value" truck series / make the 10 speed STANDARD on the "HIGH VOLUME" with the 6.2L as a cost plus OPTION
    and add more contrast and "material" to the interior

I am interested to see 3 way tests of the RAM laramie / F150 / Silverado WITH the 3.0L Diesels as that SHOULD level the power train between the 3 / I expect the Silverado to raise to the TOP except for the interior complaints

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to richmond2000 For This Useful Post:

AMERICA 123 (03-28-2019),SierraGS (03-30-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,446 Times in 3,744 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Cadillac CTS Performance

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post
    Ram doesn't even offer a premium engine choice. You get the same 5.7 in a work truck as you get in a Limited Longhorn, same HP and TQ numbers too. In fact, Ram only offers two engine choices, and neither one is even close to class leading. I wonder why they don't offer the 6.4 Hemi in the 1/2 tons, it should be capable of numbers close to the 6.2 and will at least give buyers a choice.
    Ram offers the 5.7L Hemi with the eTorque system.

https://www.ramtrucks.com/ram-1500/capability.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ram
    5.7L HEMI® V8 ENGINE WITH ETORQUE

The available 5.7L HEMI® V8 engine with eTorque Mild Hybrid System blends performance-enhancing and fuel-saving technologies like variable valve timing and cylinder deactivation with the muscular addition of a supplemental 130 pound-feet of torque. The result: Best-in-Class V8 towing of up to 12,750 pounds, with Best-in-Class available V8 4x4 combined fuel economy and an unsurpassed available V8 4x4 highway driving range.
    It adds 130 lb-ft, which boosts output to 390 HP and 540 TQ, which is more torque than any gas engine in the LD class. It also pushes towing capacity to 12,750, which is way more than the GM 5.3 twins. It also helps fuel economy, bumping it up to 17/22 instead of the standard 15/21.

And most importantly, Ram offers it in every single truck and trim they sell, unlike GM's stupid idea to restrict the 6.2L V8 to top trims only.
    Last edited by Envoy4Life; 03-26-2019 at 12:39 PM.
    Current:

2016 Cadillac CTS4 2.0T Performance

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Envoy4Life For This Useful Post:

AMERICA 123 (03-28-2019),RedSkyBlackDream (03-28-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,960 Times in 2,284 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by jzchev28 View Post
    The usual band wagon Silverado trashers are here I see, many of whom aren't even truck buyers. The new Silverado is a fantastic truck and it looks badass, I really don't care if it has 40" touchscreen or what you people think is a fancy interior. I can't wait to test out the new LD diesel and find out if that will be my next truck.
    Not a truck buyer?? Face it, the Silverado, while nice, is in a solid 3rd place right now. It just is. Let me know when I can get my 33 gallon tank so I dont have to stop every 200 miles to get fuel.

I mean, I'm not shopping for a new truck at all. Nope. Not me. Nothing to see here because I dont buy trucks so therefor I cant possibly even talk about it.

Pontiacgt got called out because he is wrong. Flat wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Envoy4Life View Post
    And most importantly, Ram offers it in every single truck and trim they sell, unlike GM's stupid idea to restrict the 6.2L V8 to top trims only.
    Dont forget about the standard eTorque for the V6 either.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bballr4567 For This Useful Post:

AMERICA 123 (03-28-2019),Envoy4Life (03-26-2019),RedSkyBlackDream (03-28-2019)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

The eTorgue from reviews is not anything at all they say they can barely feel it and its probably not worth it. The Rams huge dash screen is ugly and I will say again if it goes out which it will good bye to your hvac controls and pretty much anything. Remember the FCA is basically Fiat. Not very reliable in the electronics or other things. Besides sitting in the new Ram I sat in the new Silverado and its very nice, great seating position and its very easy to use the controls with out looking down from the road. The big screens are joke and not needed. Just like the new explorer it looks so stupid I would be embarrassed to own it, pretty soon its going be these causing accidents and not people texting.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to pontiacgt02 For This Useful Post:

eklauss (03-26-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,960 Times in 2,284 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by pontiacgt02 View Post
    Sure.sure.sure.sure
    Yea....sure. We will just take your word for it.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8 fastrehotrods's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 723 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Ram Sport 4X4

Quote Originally Posted by pontiacgt02 View Post
    The eTorgue from reviews is not anything at all they say they can barely feel it and its probably not worth it. The Rams huge dash screen is ugly and I will say again if it goes out which it will good bye to your hvac controls and pretty much anything. Remember the FCA is basically Fiat. Not very reliable in the electronics or other things. Besides sitting in the new Ram I sat in the new Silverado and its very nice, great seating position and its very easy to use the controls with out looking down from the road. The big screens are joke and not needed. Just like the new explorer it looks so stupid I would be embarrassed to own it, pretty soon its going be these causing accidents and not people texting.
    Blah, blah, blah, a lot of words for someone who never sat in a Ram (or you're blind, and didn't see the HVAC control buttons). It seems to me the only people who can't shut up about the big screens are the ones from the makes without it. It seems the Ram people just look at it as an option. People like you keep going on and on and on about how unneeded it is, and keep trying to justify why GM doesn't offer it. You know what's cool about the 12" touch screen? It's an O P T I O N. Together now... OPTION. You know what those are right? That's that thing where you can specify what type of stuff you want on your truck. Like if you don't want the 12" screen in your Ram, you can opt down to the 8.4, which is what I would do personally. But in your GMC Sierra Denali, if your 8" screen seems a bit on the small size (since it is smaller than the smaller Ram screen), you are SOL because GM doesn't give you any options! I can go on about this, but I can let the last few months sales number speak for themselves. I think Silverado was down ~20%, and Ram was up about 20%? I guess most actual buyers don't share your sentiments.

And ooohhhh, Fiat, so what? I'm happier with products as of lately now that these brands are owned by Fiat actually. It appears that SRT, Ram, Jeep, etc are still allowed to do their own things here locally, and they're still building product here, so who cares who owns them? I'm much happier with the direction FCA is headed under Italian ownership than I am with GM being owned here. Challenger is doing awesome, along with Charger (widebody is dropping soon). Ram is better than ever, Jeep Wrangler is killing it, Gladiator is coming out, seems that they're doing quite well today for a company that was on life support 15 years ago.
    The Stable: 2014 Ram Sport 4x4 with 18" Method Racing MR310's wrapped in 35's, 71 Firebird Formula 455 Ridetech equipped, 57 Ford Custom 300, 66 GTO 4 speed, 67 Camaro LT1/T56, 70 El Camino, 71 Camaro future LSX, 82 Z28, 63 Thunderbird, 75 Pontiac Astre GT 406, 65 Dart 318, 87 S10 Blazer, 88 Silverado, 58 Edsel Pacer, 64 Volvo 544. Past: 98 Trans Am 6 speed-432 rwhp, 71 Chevelle SS 454, 71 Camaro 350/4 speed, 66 Mustang 393/T5, 86 GMC Jimmy

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fastrehotrods For This Useful Post:

AMERICA 123 (03-28-2019),Extreme4x4 (03-26-2019),RedSkyBlackDream (03-28-2019),rjpoog1989 (03-26-2019),sdotjeezy (03-26-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fastrehotrods View Post
    Blah, blah, blah, a lot of words for someone who never sat in a Ram (or you're blind, and didn't see the HVAC control buttons). It seems to me the only people who can't shut up about the big screens are the ones from the makes without it. It seems the Ram people just look at it as an option. People like you keep going on and on and on about how unneeded it is, and keep trying to justify why GM doesn't offer it. You know what's cool about the 12" touch screen? It's an O P T I O N. Together now... OPTION. You know what those are right? That's that thing where you can specify what type of stuff you want on your truck. Like if you don't want the 12" screen in your Ram, you can opt down to the 8.4, which is what I would do personally. But in your GMC Sierra Denali, if your 8" screen seems a bit on the small size (since it is smaller than the smaller Ram screen), you are SOL because GM doesn't give you any options! I can go on about this, but I can let the last few months sales number speak for themselves. I think Silverado was down ~20%, and Ram was up about 20%? I guess most actual buyers don't share your sentiments.

And ooohhhh, Fiat, so what? I'm happier with products as of lately now that these brands are owned by Fiat actually. It appears that SRT, Ram, Jeep, etc are still allowed to do their own things here locally, and they're still building product here, so who cares who owns them? I'm much happier with the direction FCA is headed under Italian ownership than I am with GM being owned here. Challenger is doing awesome, along with Charger (widebody is dropping soon). Ram is better than ever, Jeep Wrangler is killing it, Gladiator is coming out, seems that they're doing quite well today for a company that was on life support 15 years ago.
    #micdrop
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '17 Nissan Versa Note

Hidden Content

15. The Following User Says Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

RedSkyBlackDream (03-28-2019)

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fastrehotrods View Post

very good point Re: options, fastrehotrod.
    I would add that FCA's options are pick and chose, almost regardless of trim.
    I've owned GM for 30 years and I guess I got used to dodging the trim game to sorta get what I wanted. I never liked it though, but I kept buying. I finally said enough when I couldn't get a CT6 without AWD with a bigger engine. Can I order it? No. That was my tipping point (that's all you can find in all cars on the lot in the NE). I reluctantly went to look at a 300 V8 RWD and drove the owners car and loved it. Then came getting one. None around, obviously cause everyone wants AWD and V6's. So they said, you can order it any way you want. What??????
    It was very refreshing to get it exactly like I wanted, no roof, RWD-only, V8, C interior (almost, just the seats are Sport because of the S trim), etc... So a perfect car for me, the way I wanted it. Same thing with my wife who got a Grand Cherokee. Same for my daughter who got a cheapy charger she could afford. Love the fact she's in a much bigger car than most.
    The sad part is we were all in GM for 30 years, and now have 3 FCA's and 2 F150's in my family. Still have a couple old beater K2500's for the farm, but you can fix those yourself still.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,446 Times in 3,744 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Cadillac CTS Performance

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    Not a truck buyer?? Face it, the Silverado, while nice, is in a solid 3rd place right now. It just is. Let me know when I can get my 33 gallon tank so I dont have to stop every 200 miles to get fuel.

I mean, I'm not shopping for a new truck at all. Nope. Not me. Nothing to see here because I dont buy trucks so therefor I cant possibly even talk about it.
    The most ironic part is that he says that, all while humping other various cars in the GM portfolio (like Cadillac) that he isn't a buyer for, in seemingly every single thread.

By his own standards, he shouldn't be participating in Cadillac threads, or anything outside of LD pickup threads. Lol.

Yup, good call. Nice feature to have standard for sure.
    Current:

2016 Cadillac CTS4 2.0T Performance

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Envoy4Life For This Useful Post:

RedSkyBlackDream (03-28-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,133 Times in 2,086 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

Seriously though, this review has as much value as Cadillac's cupboard full of awards,
    the only opinions that matter are those people in the market to buy a new truck.
    Are they as critical as reviewers or do they look past certain things because it's a Silverado?

I have a feeling that vehicles that sell in these types of numbers do so because of returning
    buyers and much less, conquest buyers . If that's indeed true, then those buyers are not
    comparing the 2019 Silverado to F150 or Ram but actually to their older trade in truck.
    and that a huge perception difference.....

Thanks
    My Ride
    GMC Sierra/2014/Summit White

GM really messed up these trucks. There’s really nothing that makes me want one. The diesel sounds promising, but it seems they’d have been further ahead to invest in interior design. A lot of fiat bashing in this thread, but it seems they are making vehicles people really want. Same with Ford.
    Daily Driver:
    2014 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT RS / Crystal Red Tint
    - 3.6 V6 / 6MT

Wife’s Ride:
    2017 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk / Jetset Blue
    - 2.4l tigershark / 9AT

Weekend Warrior:
    2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT / Summit White
    - 6.2 Ecotec III / 6 AT
    - Crew Cab / Standard Bed
    - 2 inch coil spacers / Zone AAL / BfGoodrich All-Terrain KO2 / Ranch Sierra Cap

21. The Following User Says Thank You to rjpoog1989 For This Useful Post:

AMERICA 123 (03-28-2019)

Banned
    Thanks

Just change the interior

09W
    Thanks

Ram offers the 5.7L Hemi with the eTorque system. It adds 130 lb-ft, which boosts output to 390 HP and 540 TQ, which is more torque than any gas engine in the LD class.
    It also pushes towing capacity to 12,750, which is way more than the GM 5.3 twins.
    You put the upgraded 5.7 Hemi eTorque, Ram's top engine tune, against the non-top engine tune at Chevy. The 6.2L is rated up to 12,100 lbs towing, which again; is not 'way less' than the Ram in the least.

Sure, it'd be nice if the 6.2L had wider availability than just the LTZ & HC, but have exclusive features on higher trims is why there ARE higher trims.
    Ram makes you pay for the Laramie Limited to get the luxo-interior, and I don't find that 'stupid' either. No one is writing long scented love letters about this Ram interior :
    https://www.tfltruck.com/2018/08/201...sman-interior/

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member jzchev28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,088 Times in 1,098 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Silverado Z71 Blue Topaz
    Not a truck buyer?? Face it, the Silverado, while nice, is in a solid 3rd place right now. It just is. Let me know when I can get my 33 gallon tank so I dont have to stop every 200 miles to get fuel. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

The most ironic part is that he says that, all while humping other various cars in the GM portfolio (like Cadillac) that he isn't a buyer for, in seemingly every single thread.

By his own standards, he shouldn't be participating in Cadillac threads, or anything outside of LD pickup threads. Lol.

Yup, good call. Nice feature to have standard for sure.
    That's a pretty lame response, if you think I've never owned a Cadillac you are mistaken. If you think I don't compliment other brands you are mistaken. For a mod you think you'd check things like that, heck even earlier today I had something nice to say about a Ford...

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 TruckMan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,177 Times in 1,103 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Sierra Denali 6.2L
    How large is the HUD in the Ram?
    GMI Site Rules: 11. "Trolling", or making posts with the sole intention of creating problems on the forums is obviously against the forum guidelines. We define trolling as a member that appears to have the sole purpose of posting just to spite the majority of the site or cause flame wars in threads they participate in. PLEASE respect differing opinions on the site at all times!

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TruckMan For This Useful Post:

jzchev28 (03-28-2019),SierraGS (03-30-2019)

27. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information