2019 Chevrolet Silverado High Country 4x4 Crew Cab: Pros And Cons - Page 10

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Chevrolet Silverado High Country 4x4 Crew Cab: Pros And Cons

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,905 Times in 1,891 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Re: 2019 Chevrolet Silverado High Country 4x4 Crew Cab: Pros And Cons

Quote Originally Posted by vanshmack View Post
    IMHO, the GM interior actually photographs better than it looks in person. There's a blockiness to the dash that was very unappealing and decidedly downscale in a truck that prices out near $50k...at least, that was the sticker on the one we looked at. We'd have been much more receptive to the Silverado had it used the Tahoe/Yukon interior and seats.
    I will vouch for that as it is also seen that way by me from all of my usual Sunday looky-lu excursions, IMO that is

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

vanshmack (04-01-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Let's face it. Since the late 80's, GM innovated more than the rest. Countless firsts, like IFS.... the best, and the others copied eventually. 90's.... best interiors, best engines, best cab options, ieee. 3rd door, 4 door, etc.... Then in the 2000's the others started catching up, mostly copying GM. IMO, the mid 2000's is when GM changed their strategy. Interesting that at the same time I started questioning their engineering and their products. I still bought though. Lots.
    Who has innovated lately? No question, Ford and Ram have. So they're all pretty darn close now in what the do and offer. Pick your poison.

For me, I drove my first ever f150 5.0-10sp and thought it ran better than my past 4 gm 6.2's. No one will believe me, so be it. the 6.2 is still the heavy towing king, but I don't do that anymore. I'm an old ex-racer, so how they run is what I like or don't. There is so much tech in these things now, no one will be owning 10+ year old trucks anymore, a major blow to the consumer. Is this all worth 3-5mpg in the long run, you be the judge.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,349 Posts

GM must make changes for 2020 or the Silverado is going to be the #3 seller in the segment.

Not sure if an "All New" interior is possible by 2020, GM really doesn't have to update the interiors in all trim levels since the current interior(s) can be used on lower trim levels going forward.

The LT/SLE interior is competitive with RAM's Bighorn trim (which is a high sales volume trim for RAM) so it can continue to be used for those trims and expanded for use in on Custom/Custom Trailboss, especially the seating.

The LTZ/SLT trims should get the current High Country/Denali trim for the dash boards and add some of the optional High Country/Denali features but need to retain the 40/20/40 Bench option.

The real updates are needed for the RST/Trail Boss/High Country and Elevation/Denali/AT4/Denali Ultimate trims where the RST/Elevation get unique interiors, Trailboss and AT4 get their own interiors like the RAM Rebel and Power Wagon do with similar but some unique features to differentiate Trail Boss and AT4.

High Country trim has to be updated and moved up a level from LTZ, same for Denali that must match the F-150 Platinum and RAM Limited levels with the Denali Ultimate interior being a "step up" from both.

Other improvements must be with powertrains being upgraded and features added
    1. 8-Speed Automatic standard on WT/Custom/Sierra with 4.3L V6 and 5.3L V8
    2. 10 Speed Automatic standard on LT/Trailboss/RST/LTZ/High Country and SLE/SLT/AT4/Denali on 2.7L, 3.0TD, 5.3L and 6.2L.
    3. Electric Locking front and rear Differentials standard on AT4 / Optional on Trailboss.
    4. 6.2L available on 2WD models and optional (at minimum) on RST/Trailboss and Elevation/SLE trims
    5. More "Trail Control" features added as standard on AT4 and optional on Trailboss
    6. Add 3.73 Gear option on AT4 and Trailboss as well as MAX Tow packages
    7. Optional 30+ gallon gas tank on all trims/cabs
    8. E-Assist as option on WT/Custom/Sierra (to match RAM base E-Torque)
    9. Strong Hybrid/Voltec Powertrain
    10. RST Sport package using new Tahoe/Yukon IRS suspension with Denali gaining a Denali Sport trim that offers Air Suspension option.
    11. Double Cab added to Denali trim for buyers wanting longer bed.
    12. MAX Tow Package available on all trim levels above WT/Custom/Sierra.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SierraGS For This Useful Post:

rjpoog1989 (03-31-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member NoStopN's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 1,424 Posts
    My Ride
    '19 Ram 1500, '69 GMC 2500

Quote Originally Posted by Envoy4Life View Post
    A) The Chevy only needs regular fuel, so it has that advantage, but as far as what was tested, the Ram is more efficient.

B) That's why the new trucks suck. They do nothing better than the competition, yet GM thinks they are able to charge a premium for them. It won't work.
    A) Technically, the 2019 Ram owner's manual says the engine can use fuel between 87-89 octane. They recommend 89 for the best performance & FE. I have only used 87 in my truck & have not felt like I was missing any major HP/torque.
    B) Even worse is if someone could only budget for the entry model truck. A V6 with some electric motor help or just a V6? The electric motor helps with both FE & acceleration. Once you compare the EPA numbers, that eTorque option looks pretty damn good.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post
    Ram doesn't even offer a premium engine choice. You get the same 5.7 in a work truck as you get in a Limited Longhorn, same HP and TQ numbers too. In fact, Ram only offers two engine choices, and neither one is even close to class leading. I wonder why they don't offer the 6.4 Hemi in the 1/2 tons, it should be capable of numbers close to the 6.2 and will at least give buyers a choice.
    Only advertisers & bench racers care about outright numbers. The whole truck has to combine all of its attributes to be the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Kex1969 View Post
    The Ram did well on the interior, but go checkout 5thgenrams.com and see the plagues of electrical issues those trucks are having...lipstick on a pig.
    I'm on a different Ram truck forum that is more for all Rams, not specifically focused on just the 2019-up trucks. But so far, I'm not seeing a mass pile of complaints about electrical gremlins.

Quote Originally Posted by jzchev28 View Post
    That's a pretty lame response, if you think I've never owned a Cadillac you are mistaken. If you think I don't compliment other brands you are mistaken. For a mod you think you'd check things like that, heck even earlier today I had something nice to say about a Ford...
    That would require that the mods follow you around looking at your every post to catch you throwing out a compliment. We can't do that. We're busy living in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by TruckMan View Post
    How large is the HUD in the Ram?
    Ask the 2019 Ram owners how they will ever survive without a video game plastered onto their windshield.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisNJ View Post
    Then I drive a recent Ram and then a recent Ford, and I switched. No more GM's in my driveway. Why am I still on this site?, haha.... habit I guess.
    Probably still here like many of us. GM will release new products. If there is one we take an interest in, we have a sandbox full of other eyes & opinions that may point out something that we glanced over. Somehow, someway, being here makes us all better consumers, even if the fanboys continue to fanboy.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post
    I am confused at your FE statement; do you not care about TFL's real world testing where the Ram fails to come close to EPA's estimates? Or is because the website claims "up to 22 MPG" it gives them a pass to get 17MPG? Not trying to bicker as I agree with your list (for the most part) I'm just curious to the statement.
    No matter the engine that you buy in a truck, a full size truck is not a fuel economic vehicle. Period. The 6 cylinder diesel half-tons are the best option, not the TT V6, not the turbo 4. It's a basic principle of energy. I was even surprised to see what my computer was estimating for FE of my Ram.

Now that I have 3/8 of a tank left, the mileage estimate has slipped to 18.3 MPG. I've been watching this particular tank of fuel, just out of curiosity. Idling will kill FE quicker than we like to admit. This is one of the advantages of a turbo 4 or TT6. Fewer cylinders, fewer spark plugs to ignite the fuel. But when you have to make those smaller engines work to accelerate, they get thirsty or they get up to speed slowly. As much as I hate auto start/stop, I can say that it has it's place.

Quote Originally Posted by Envoy4Life View Post
    You may want to read this review about the basic Ram Tradesman interior:

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/ram/...t-test-review/
    I had that article come up in my feed last week & read what a "professional" had to say about it. He had a similar opinion as myself. For being a base model truck, FCA has put in some really good stuff for the price of admission. Since you have people reading, maybe some of them need to re-read my thread when I bought my Ram: https://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/...iveway-289729/ I'd advise reading the whole thing, since I went to an auto show a month later that had the 2019 T1xx trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by jzchev28 View Post
    In 5 years when your 12" screen stops working due to Chrysler's poor reliability at least you'll have your leather dash to look at, yippie! There is a lot more to a truck than a dash, and the Silverado is amazing at being a usable truck. Stop acting like the only reason to buy one is brand loyalty, it's not.
    In 5 years, I still won't have the 12" screen. Hell, I might not even have the 5" screen. Also, the Ram is amazing at being used as a truck. And I'm another buyer who didn't keep brand loyalty.

Lots of transmission problems, even in the non-eTorque units, though I'm not sure why, as I believe the 8-speed ZF box is carryover.
    On the 2019s? I haven't heard of them being any more unreliable than the outgoing model. It is a carryover trans.

Performance: Ram > Silverado. 5.7 in the Ram was much more stout than the 5.3 in the Chevy and delivered its power much more smoothly. The 5.3 in the 2018 Silvy felt especially strained. Unfortunately, the 6.2 was not available in a vehicle in the price point we were trying to hit, so it wasn't an option. And I've always loved the LS/LT series over engines.
    After owning 2 trucks, 1 SUV, & 1 muscle car with derivatives of the LS family, I'm pretty damned die-hard about them. But, the Hemi is showing that the LS/LT family isn't the only good pushrod design.

That's what I mean about "this is GMI." You think you're some expert in the car industry, but you're nothing more than just another internet car enthusiast. You don't know jack more than anybody else on this site. At least I own a truck. Two actually.
    Would you like to be the pot or the kettle in this analogy? You have had many comments that you spoke as if they were fact, when clearly they were your own opinion.

My opinion is childish? Whatever, my friend, but until GM puts a decent interior into its trucks and corrects at least SOME of the other things that I pointed out in my previous post, they won't be getting my business anytime soon. And I'm sure I'm not the only one.
    Was it this thread or the Feb. sales thread where he brought up the rear seatback storage in the GM trucks? Either way, that idea gets blocked (literally) if someone has small children that use a child seat. The RamBins in the floor can still be used. It's not just one little advantage where Ram has gained marketshare. They have done so with many small advantages in design & options combined with an aggressive pricing plan.
    Hidden Content

I love you, Dad. 8/25/57-3/28/11

Hidden Content

9. The Following User Says Thank You to NoStopN For This Useful Post:

vanshmack (04-01-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 TruckMan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,411 Times in 1,172 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Sierra Denali 6.2L

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    OH... So you aren't going to respond to the fact that you just guessed that the Ram doesn't have wireless charging OR a larger console that doesn't force you to spend extra for an organization tray?? It "appears" to be much larger. Lmao. The Ram has 148 liters of interior storage. Silverado has 70. Keep shooting and you'll eventually hit something.

You didn't even know if the Ram had it but you were slamming it anyway. Man up and admit that it's not one thing the GM twins are missing, it's multiple.
    I "guessed" because I hadn't heard anything about it. Now I just looked it - wireless charging only in the Limited Trim. Otherwise you can get a one as an accessory - for a $250 extra charge!!!! Oh the humanity!!!

And FYI, the organization tray in the GM twins is optional because you have other options to chose from - organization tray, hanging file, or locking vault. How many options does the Ram offer? And are they free?

I can "man up" and admit that the GM trucks are missing several things, but so are all the Trucks. Not one of them are perfect. They're all good. A second place interior isn't the end of the world as you're making it out to be.

Can you admit that GM did some things right and that it has some nice features? I already said the Ram has a nicer interior - especially for the high end trims. But how many real trucks users buy a truck for it's fancy interior?

Quote Originally Posted by NoStopN View Post
    Ask the 2019 Ram owners how they will ever survive without a video game plastered onto their windshield.
    The same way everybody has survived without a 12" screen plastered to their dash? My point was that Ram gets credit for the 4" larger screen, but everybody ignores the fact that GM has a larger IC screen (8") and has a 15" HUD. Just trying to provide a counter point.

But when people are biased, that's what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by NoStopN View Post
    Would you like to be the pot or the kettle in this analogy? You have had many comments that you spoke as if they were fact, when clearly they were your own opinion.
    So? This whole thread is full of people's opinions being floated as fact. I'm just trying to provide some sanity to the crazy outrage.
    GMI Site Rules: 11. "Trolling", or making posts with the sole intention of creating problems on the forums is obviously against the forum guidelines. We define trolling as a member that appears to have the sole purpose of posting just to spite the majority of the site or cause flame wars in threads they participate in. PLEASE respect differing opinions on the site at all times!

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,440 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

I "guessed" because I hadn't heard anything about it. Now I just looked it - wireless charging only in the Limited Trim. Otherwise you can get a one as an accessory - for a $250 extra charge!!!! Oh the humanity!!!
    No, it's optional down to the Laramie which starts at $45,725 for a 4X2 Quad Cab. To get wireless charging on the Silverado? Yea, that's an LTZ only "option" that forces you into a price of $50,575. *

*Those prices are with the 5.7 and 5.3.

And FYI, the organization tray in the GM twins is optional because you have other options to chose from - organization tray, hanging file, or locking vault. How many options does the Ram offer? And are they free?
    Ram doesn't need to offer the options because the center console is twice as large as the Silverado.

I can "man up" and admit that the GM trucks are missing several things, but so are all the Trucks. Not one of them are perfect. They're all good. A second place interior isn't the end of the world as you're making it out to be.
    It's not second place though. Yes, the lower trim F150s are just as bad but the higher end trims are VERY nice.

Can you admit that GM did some things right and that it has some nice features? I already said the Ram has a nicer interior - especially for the high end trims. But how many real trucks users buy a truck for it's fancy interior?
    I have. Multiple times. I love the AT4. I love the larger bed that is also easier to enter this year. I appreciate the door mounted mirrors. I love the 5.3.

The same way everybody has survived without a 12" screen plastered to their dash? My point was that Ram gets credit for the 4" larger screen, but everybody ignores the fact that GM has a larger IC screen (8") and has a 15" HUD. Just trying to provide a counter point.
    What good does the HUD do if it's only on one trim? That makes that LTZ I quoted above a $50,575 truck now. Where is the value there?

So? This whole thread is full of people's opinions being floated as fact. I'm just trying to provide some sanity to the crazy outrage.
    The outrage is at the fact that you cant see what people are saying. Yes, the Silverado IS nice but it debuted and was immediately behind the Ram. The new F150 is going to be here very soon and you dont think they'll be ahead of the Silverado in all trims? It's a very, very slippery slope that GM has rested on with the T1 trucks.
    Last edited by bballr4567; 04-01-2019 at 01:21 PM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 TruckMan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,411 Times in 1,172 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Sierra Denali 6.2L

Ram doesn't need to offer the options because the center console is twice as large as the Silverado.
    This comment illustrates my point perfectly. You, like some of the Ford fans around here, are completely blinded by your opinion and are not receptive to other solutions. You think that the things you value are important to everybody and every customer, but they're not. I like the HUD more than the large screen. I like the organizer and locking vault more than an large, open, unorganized box. But you can't see other people's perspective. I'm not saying that those features aren't important to some buyers, just that not everybody values those more than other features. And they certainly don't make the GM trucks horrible as you're alluding to. Like vansmack illustrated, you have to evaluate the full package. And even for him, the new Ram didn't win. He bought an older used one.

The outrage is at the fact that you cant see what people are saying. Yes, the Silverado IS nice but it debuted and was immediately behind the Ram. The new F150 is going to be here very soon and you dont think they'll be ahead of the Silverado in all trims? It's a very, very slippery slope that GM has rested on with the T1 trucks.
    I think you're the one that's not listening. Ram did a great job on their interior, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's overall a better truck than the GM twins. That's only one aspect of the vehicle. Ram didn't do hardly anything to the exterior. That's going to turn some customers away. GM took a different approach. Only time will tell which strategy is better. And who knows, maybe GM will put the new SUV interior into the top trims when it debuts next year. They share platforms so it shouldn't be that difficult to pull off.
    GMI Site Rules: 11. "Trolling", or making posts with the sole intention of creating problems on the forums is obviously against the forum guidelines. We define trolling as a member that appears to have the sole purpose of posting just to spite the majority of the site or cause flame wars in threads they participate in. PLEASE respect differing opinions on the site at all times!

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,440 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

This comment illustrates my point perfectly. You, like some of the Ford fans around here, are completely blinded by your opinion and are not receptive to other solutions. You think that the things you value are important to everybody and every customer, but they're not. I like the HUD more than the large screen. I like the organizer and locking vault more than an large, open, unorganized box. But you can't see other people's perspective. I'm not saying that those features aren't important to some buyers, just that not everybody values those more than other features. And they certainly don't make the GM trucks horrible as you're alluding to. Like vansmack illustrated, you have to evaluate the full package. And even for him, the new Ram didn't win. He bought an older used one.
    Have you actually seen the inside of a Ram console? It's not some wide open space. I said it doesn't need to option it because it already has it available! There is nothing extra to pay. It's already baked into the price and given to the customers.

Do you see at 4:42? It's real fast. Yea, that spot is for hanging files as well.

When did I say that the GM twins were horrible? Stop putting words in my mouth. Go find me that. Until then, stop. I've not once said it. At all. Hell, you even quoted me as saying the Silverado is nice!!! LMAO.

This is where, once again, you just arent paying attention. On the Ram, as many others have said, you have the option to actually option up the truck you want. You are not stuck with the 12" screen. Not even close. However, seeing how you are hung up on the 12" screen, it's an option on the Laramie and it still comes in almost $3k cheaper than an LTZ with just the charging pad option.

And yes, Van, bought a used truck because to option out one new like he got would be in the $50s, he got it for $32k (IIRC) so he saved a ton of money and still got more available options than a new GM truck.

I think you're the one that's not listening. Ram did a great job on their interior, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's overall a better truck than the GM twins. That's only one aspect of the vehicle. Ram didn't do hardly anything to the exterior. That's going to turn some customers away. GM took a different approach. Only time will tell which strategy is better. And who knows, maybe GM will put the new SUV interior into the top trims when it debuts next year. They share platforms so it shouldn't be that difficult to pull off.
    I can only hope so.

I'm not going to comment on the exterior because if you think they hardly didnt do anything then I guess that's the truth. Never mind the fact it's all 100% new.

You took everything I said and instead of actually comprehending it, you went on a little rant about me not listening yet, I broke down everyone of your argument points and backed up my argument.
    Last edited by bballr4567; 04-01-2019 at 01:22 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to bballr4567 For This Useful Post:

69gtsdart (04-01-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

It isn't a better truck than the GM twins....or the F150 for that matter. Ram rides nice and has a phenomenal interior. Thats where its advantages end, has it outclassed anyone else in any other way? In real world truck use power is king, Ram is far behind here (although adequate or just "good enough" but as a Ram owner I find it lacks compared to a Turbo Ford or 6.2 GM) It's also behind on transmissions, engine choices, styling (subjective I know but let's be honest, it's pretty bland). In the segment each truck holds its own advantages, they're all great trucks in their own right.

Time for a critique. GM needs to re-do the interiors yesterday. Let's go back to the 900 era where you could order up a "luxury" dash and a "work truck" dash, or at the very least offer the SUV interior in the high trim pickups. On that note, let's hope the new full size SUV's don't share a single item with the trucks interiors. Offer the same fancy shocks on the HC that the Denali offers to get the ride dialed in to luxury car specs, and offer more high end options. No excuses GM, you have the best pickup powertrain in the business, a well sorted chassis, leading F/E #'s out of the biggest V8's, and in my opinion great looks. Now fix that danged interior!

GMI Staff Member Premium Member NoStopN's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 1,424 Posts
    My Ride
    '19 Ram 1500, '69 GMC 2500

A) I can "man up" and admit that the GM trucks are missing several things, but so are all the Trucks. Not one of them are perfect. They're all good. A second place interior isn't the end of the world as you're making it out to be. Can you admit that GM did some things right and that it has some nice features? I already said the Ram has a nicer interior - especially for the high end trims. But how many real trucks users buy a truck for it's fancy interior?

B) The same way everybody has survived without a 12" screen plastered to their dash? My point was that Ram gets credit for the 4" larger screen, but everybody ignores the fact that GM has a larger IC screen (8") and has a 15" HUD. Just trying to provide a counter point.

C) So? This whole thread is full of people's opinions being floated as fact. I'm just trying to provide some sanity to the crazy outrage.
    A) I think we can all man up & say that our opinions point to each person's set of requirements. As I said in my thread about my purchase, one of my criteria was a new truck, not a newly built truck that looked the same as that truck from 3 years ago. I like my GMCs & was interested in a 2019 Sierra. But, a brand new body style truck was only 1 of my requirements. Once all the advantages were tallied, the Ram was at the top of the heap.
    B) Some people don't need console dividers or even the largest console in the class. Some people don't need the 12" screen (I don't), so they aren't focused on that. Some people don't need the HUD (I don't).
    C) This thread is actually illustrating just how much we like our GM vehicles. We like what GM has presented, but we don't love them (Silverado/Sierra). And we all know that a major vehicle purchase is based on emotion. If we're going to sink years worth of payments (or thousands of $$ at once), we want to love our purchase. Most of the detractors here are basically expressing that they don't love the Silverado enough to spend years & years on payments for one.

A) This comment illustrates my point perfectly. You, like some of the Ford fans around here, are completely blinded by your opinion and are not receptive to other solutions. You think that the things you value are important to everybody and every customer, but they're not. I like the HUD more than the large screen. I like the organizer and locking vault more than an large, open, unorganized box. But you can't see other people's perspective. I'm not saying that those features aren't important to some buyers, just that not everybody values those more than other features. And they certainly don't make the GM trucks horrible as you're alluding to. Like vansmack illustrated, you have to evaluate the full package. And even for him, the new Ram didn't win. He bought an older used one.

B) I think you're the one that's not listening. Ram did a great job on their interior, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's overall a better truck than the GM twins. That's only one aspect of the vehicle. Ram didn't do hardly anything to the exterior. That's going to turn some customers away. GM took a different approach. Only time will tell which strategy is better. And who knows, maybe GM will put the new SUV interior into the top trims when it debuts next year. They share platforms so it shouldn't be that difficult to pull off.
    A) As mentioned before, he is stressing a counterpoint showing that other brands have issued a solution of their own that solves a buyer's request. You like the hanging folders (Ram can do that) & locking vault (RamBins have dealer ordered locks available), but those aren't at the top of his list of needs or wants. You point out that Vansmack chose a truck based upon the sum of its parts. But, you're trying to get people to see that one or 2 items make the truck a must buy if they were in the market to buy a full size truck. Purchases just don't work that way.
    B) Let's work backwards here. If GM made the decision to put the SUV interiors into the trucks (even if just for Denali & HC), it won't look like the current interiors. So, I wouldn't recommend comparing pictures of the current SUV interiors to the T1xx truck interiors. Just sayin'. As for Ram not changing much of the exterior, I think you're grasping at straws there. This is the rental vehicle I was given during my truck's first visit to the dealership.

This looks like a 2018 (no "Classic" badge on the door) Ram. That truck has a pronounced hood rise with the dropped fenders. The new truck has reduced the drop with all of that drop on the hood. The fenders are even with the edge of the hood. There is only so much that can be done with truck styling, but Ram retained enough of the design to look familiar (like a Ram) while trying to evolve the design.
    Hidden Content

I love you, Dad. 8/25/57-3/28/11

Hidden Content

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NoStopN For This Useful Post:

69gtsdart (04-01-2019),richmond2000 (04-02-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,805 Times in 4,643 Posts
    My Ride
    2018 GMC Sierra Crew 6 1/2'

I'm really enjoying this from the sidelines, but this one caught me up.................

"how many real trucks users"

What percentage is that?

Better way to phrase this might be; "how many real truck buyers" - you of all people, owning a couple Denali's can relate, no?

Quote Originally Posted by ranchman View Post
    It isn't a better truck than the GM twins....or the F150 for that matter. Ram rides nice and has a phenomenal interior. Thats where its advantages end, has it outclassed anyone else in any other way? In real world truck use power is king, Ram is far behind here (although adequate or just "good enough" but as a Ram owner I find it lacks compared to a Turbo Ford or 6.2 GM) It's also behind on transmissions, engine choices, styling (subjective I know but let's be honest, it's pretty bland). In the segment each truck holds its own advantages, they're all great trucks in their own right.
    6.2L is <5% and not available in lower trims; meaning most GM's have the 5.3L/8-Speed or less..................
    Current: Hidden Content Hidden Content

Past: '17 Cruze; '15 F150; '14 Volt; '13 MKX; '13 Silverado; '13 Fusion; '11 Ram; '10 Commander; '08 Sierra; '07 Rendezvous; '05 Ram; '04 Grand Cherokee; '03 F150; '01 Silverado; '00 Jimmy; '99 Sierra; '97 Ram; '96 Mustang GT; '96 Jimmy; '90 Escort GT; '89 Ranger; '84 Omni; '76 Malibu; '78 LeMans; '85 Escort; '82 Lynx; '75 Sierra

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Ed753 For This Useful Post:

69gtsdart (04-01-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

It is impressive, to say the least, to see the long-timers here on this forum taking sides with the competition. And this is only one voice of the consumers, the real passionate ones.
    One of the lessons GM will learn soon is that brand loyalty is pretty much dead when it comes to the bottom line.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to canadian.bacon For This Useful Post:

rjpoog1989 (04-02-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,623 Times in 1,162 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Quote Originally Posted by ranchman View Post

Time for a critique. GM needs to re-do the interiors yesterday. Let's go back to the 900 era where you could order up a "luxury" dash and a "work truck" dash, or at the very least offer the SUV interior in the high trim pickups. On that note, let's hope the new full size SUV's don't share a single item with the trucks interiors. Offer the same fancy shocks on the HC that the Denali offers to get the ride dialed in to luxury car specs, and offer more high end options. No excuses GM, you have the best pickup powertrain in the business, a well sorted chassis, leading F/E #'s out of the biggest V8's, and in my opinion great looks. Now fix that danged interior!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed753 View Post
    I'm really enjoying this from the sidelines, but this one caught me up.................

"how many real trucks users"

What percentage is that?

Better way to phrase this might be; "how many real truck buyers" - you of all people, owning a couple Denali's can relate, no?

6.2L is <5% and not available in lower trims; meaning most GM's have the 5.3L/8-Speed or less..................
    IMHO for me that sums up the "BIG ISSUE" with the GM twins
    yes they CAN MAKE a leader of the pack BUT purposely HOLD BACK making the high volume models WORSE then the COMPARABLE COMPETITION

a 355 bhp 5.3L and the 8 speed as FAR from "best" compared to the ECOBOOSTs OR the 5.7HEMI ZF8 and gets WORSE once you look to the "high VALUE" lines with the "OLD" AFM 5.3 and 6 speed whereas RAM + FORD offer the bigger engines as a cost plus options AND they come with the "premium" transmissions

I want to see a 3 way comparo once the 3.0 Diesels are available across the board as they are "matched" quite close and all come with the "best" transmission offered and on similar MID trim trucks
    so should be as close as possible to being MATCHED

23. The Following User Says Thank You to richmond2000 For This Useful Post:

SierraGS (04-06-2019)

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 556 Posts
    My Ride
    '18 Dodge Charger SXT Blacktop

GM killing the 5.3 would be a huge mistake IMO. I personally don't like the EcoBoost motors as they don't get near the claimed miles per gallon and I've seen more than a few with turbo issues and leaking coolant as they near 100k miles (not that GM trucks don't suffer their own issues). They should just give the 5.3 the 10 speed transmission like the 6.2 does and also offer the latter with lower end trim levels. That would quell a lot of complaints.

Still can't easily fix that interior though. The bad thing is how much lower quality it is versus the K2 truck which had a bland interior design but the materials were top notch (easily best in the segment). I don't know if GM didn't anticipate RAM leapfrogging the competition on the interior or just didn't care. Quite frankly knowing how they operate I feel it's the latter.
    2018 Dodge Charger SXT Blacktop (Plum Crazy Purple)

25. The Following User Says Thank You to ryannel2003 For This Useful Post:

SierraGS (04-06-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,805 Times in 4,643 Posts
    My Ride
    2018 GMC Sierra Crew 6 1/2'

Quote Originally Posted by ryannel2003 View Post
    Still can't easily fix that interior though. The bad thing is how much lower quality it is versus the K2 truck which had a bland interior design but the materials were top notch (easily best in the segment). I don't know if GM didn't anticipate RAM leapfrogging the competition on the interior or just didn't care. Quite frankly knowing how they operate I feel it's the latter.
    Listen to what you said; it wasn't that GM didn't anticipate Ram leapfrogging............... "The bad thing is how much lower quality it is versus the K2 truck"

Do you think GM expected everyone to go backwards, and GM was hoping to "go backwards less" to maintain an interior at/near the top?

No other way to explain it; this was a calculated error.
    Current: Hidden Content Hidden Content

Past: '17 Cruze; '15 F150; '14 Volt; '13 MKX; '13 Silverado; '13 Fusion; '11 Ram; '10 Commander; '08 Sierra; '07 Rendezvous; '05 Ram; '04 Grand Cherokee; '03 F150; '01 Silverado; '00 Jimmy; '99 Sierra; '97 Ram; '96 Mustang GT; '96 Jimmy; '90 Escort GT; '89 Ranger; '84 Omni; '76 Malibu; '78 LeMans; '85 Escort; '82 Lynx; '75 Sierra

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Ed753 For This Useful Post:

ryannel2003 (04-06-2019)

28. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread Information