GM Inside News Forum banner

1 Rumor + 1 Rumor = Chevy Trailblazer?

5K views 49 replies 29 participants last post by  CaptainDan 
#1 ·
>>Rumor #1, The Vehicle:

Motor1
May 17, 2019

Rumors suggest the SUV could return to the U.S. market.

Just about a month ago, Chevrolet revealed an updated version of its Traiblazer SUV for the Chinese market. The facelift brought a major design refresh but a new set of spy shots hints the automaker is already working on the successor of the model. Unfortunately, this highly camouflaged prototype is not showing a lot and, in fact, it might be a just mule that is not wearing the production body for the model.

The rugged SUV will be based on the same architecture that also underpins the Colorado and Canyon. Not much else is known at the moment, but from the spy photos, we can see it will be considerably larger than the current model and will probably offer a more off-road adapted suspension.

>>Rumor #2, The production plant:

The rugged SUV will be based on the same architecture that also underpins the Colorado and Canyon.

>>The Colorado and Canyon are manufactured in the Wentzille, MO production plant. GM has proposed a one billion dollar expansion of that plant (for reasons not stated).

SLPD
May 2, 2019

General Motors officials are expected to meet with Missouri Gov. Mike Parson on Thursday to discuss a $1 billion expansion project at the company’s Wentzville assembly plant.

Although details of the expansion were not immediately available, GM is expected to request a package of incentives from the state to help pay for job training and retooling at the light truck and van manufacturing facility, situated about 40 miles from St. Louis in St. Charles County.

See less See more
#7 ·
I wouldn't say "playing catchup again" like GM is always behind. Lincoln is playing catchup to Cadillac, the Blazer is more or less in a new segment, it took Ford long enough to field a Colorado competitor, etc..

To the question of bringing back the Trailblazer, I'd take a wait and see approach as to how the Explorer does.

#5 ·
They brought back the midsize truck before anyone else. Very smart move. Most people want CUV/Suv that are unibody not body on frame and they are lighter and more refined. So because GM is now possibly following ford with the return of Trailblazer you said they are Shadow of it former self. Far from it. GM is making money not making cars that people just like but don't buy. They are company and it first objective is to make a profit. The market is so crazy, its smart with them not to try anything to fancy right now and improve on current products. Have you seen the interior shots of the 2020 Acadia it looks nicely updated.

#6 ·
The 2019 Acadia interior is exactly the same, except the removed the shifter, moved the cupholders and heated seat buttons, and added push buttons for the gear selector, taking room away from the cubby under the radio/HVAC. I have a '19 and I love it, but I am not happy about the loss of the shifter on the center console. I also am not in love with the 2020 grille. It looks too big for the car.

#9 ·
No thank you Very little, My wife decided on a 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited and I am leaning to the 2020 Lincoln Aviator to replace my 2017 GMC Yukon Denali XL. Our kids have grown, they have their own rides, so time to downsize. And sorry Chevy, Buick and Cadillac, other then your Full Size SUV's, you have nothing that I am interested in, your Middle entry SUV'S are all DULL and UNINSPIRING.

#20 · (Edited)
Reactions: joey
#23 ·
Forget body on frame vehicles. Very few go off roading. The market is moving and body on frame is not needed.

Who will make hot rod soft road awd cuv will own the market for hot rod version and more boring stablemates...

Imo body on frame hard off roaders are limited sales items except for jeep wranglers which is a niche for ither manufacturers...

Better off going for sports car like four door all weather attack vehicles for the street.

Thats what people are really clamoring for in the next few years...

#24 ·
This is a strong SUV and CUV market. There are enough buyers for both and still make money.

Add in that there is a global market to also help the body on frame sales just as there has been for the mid size truck architecture.

They will do well with this and will pick up that group of buyers between the Tahoe and the unibody crowd they are missing.

This is a much smaller risk and higher profit venture than introducing a new small sedan.

The key right now is ATP not volume. A model like this would have a much better ATP than a Small car sold in one market.

#25 ·
Isnt the Trailblazer coming back as a small Trax replacement? What the heck is GM doing?

Reactions: joey
#30 ·
Since the Tahoe has become a strictly Chevy's Cadillac and airport livery standby, Chevy literally has no off road oriented SUV. Kinda pathetic the people who gave us the Blazer have literally nothing like a '69 Blazer today.

Do a "Carryall" type Blazer and make it a Colorado pickup with the back of the cab cut out and a steel roof over a rubber lined rear storage area - or even the Colo's steel bed on the base model - that can haul dirty things and be hosed out, and not a damned third seat. Be greedy and all profit-y Miss Mary, and make people get the zillion other, cheaper to make largish awd CUVs you sell, or the $60K Tahoe for three rows.

Making the second seat roomier with reclining seats is better than putting in a tiny third jump seat. Put a middle jump seat in front and call it a six seater if you have to, but for the sake of Christ, spare us another 3 row 'segment leader' - make your own dayum segment - like the '69 Blazer.

#31 ·
I just found a story on the other GM site that usually has their info more right than all the speculation here, saying that this is most likely a power train mule with again most likely a diesel in it. Add to that a modest front end tweak and no changes underneath to the chassis. Ya all can go over there and read it "Chevrolet Trailblazer Prototype Caught Testing In Spain" is the story from the 18th of May-today. This is the one these guys block links to.

#37 ·
It could be. Also there may not be an answer.

The market has changed much. The development cost are so high now that projects are taken on more not so much as how to match other brands but are based on the return on investment.

The mid size trucks really were a risk. Not many thought there would be money in the segment but in time it did prove profitable to GM.

As for SUV markets it has been taken over by the FWD based models for the most part as the Body on Frame models today sell nothing like they used to sell. The Ford move is a Risk that may or not pay off.

I hope GM moves to the Body on Frame smaller SUV but I can also see the argument against it.

Companies can not afford to spend billions with little return.with programs for Electric and other low income programs they need every dollar from the ICE models to pay for everything.

Just like the car why invest in a car when a similar model can return more money on investment.

It may not be a popular move to those who prefer the less profitable models but in a contracting market those who make more money per unit sold will win in the end.

While some hold up the 4 Runner as an example they tend to forget if not for global sales we would not have it here based on the American sales numbers.

As for what GM does we will just have to wait. Som3 say yes others say no. We have yet to see any Mules here so nothing is sure till we see more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.