Small hatchback shopping - Page 4

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Small hatchback shopping

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 GTO, 2013 VOLT

Re: Small hatchback shopping

Quote Originally Posted by Ed753 View Post
    Hard to believe this was 20 years ago!?

Sill looking for drivers I see.
    Goldman Sachs , AIG , Wells Fargo, Berkshire Hathaway , UAW, & SEIU.......Todays organized crime mobs

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,603 Times in 3,624 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by TORRED1 View Post
    Sill looking for drivers I see.
    Still looking for Diego's updated road test feedback! Diego! Come back!
    2017 Soul &, Wolf Grey

We choose to go to the Moon in this decade, and do the other things...not because they are easy, but because they are hard; because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept. John Kennedy

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

Administrator
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1970 Olds 4-4-2
    Busy weekend, so will have to update later. Was expecting to have something by now but experienced a few hiccups thanks to dealers.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Diego For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (06-18-2017)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Diego View Post
    Busy weekend, so will have to update later. Was expecting to have something by now but experienced a few hiccups thanks to dealers.
    Funny--not really--how dealers and sales people are often the greatest impediment to a vehicle purchase. Skynet/Carnet is coming.
    2017 Soul &, Wolf Grey

We choose to go to the Moon in this decade, and do the other things...not because they are easy, but because they are hard; because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept. John Kennedy

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (06-18-2017),richmond2000 (06-18-2017)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,655 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    Funny--not really--how dealers and sales people are often the greatest impediment to a vehicle purchase. Skynet/Carnet is coming.
    From my recent experience I have to agree with you Neanderthal. Salesman was pretty much alright but the rest of it was sort of a PITA really.

Administrator
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1970 Olds 4-4-2

Alright, here's how it went down:

My wife has been hung up on the Mazda 3 (even though her mind changes like the wind), so we went to work out a deal. Unfortunately, the lease price for a Grand Touring or even a Touring 2.5 was not competitive with what we could get for a VW Golf Wolfsburg.

We had chatted with two VW dealership, with one that had shown us a car with stick, but we didn't like the white/beige combo. I new where there was a blue/beige one around 2 hours away, but I wasn't motivated to make the drive. As luck would have it, I got a call from a dealership about halfway who could get it.

On Sat, I dropped off my wife at home (she had to work) and I drove down to work on some numbers. However, the numbers they quoted me via text were not the same as what I was quoted in person. Why? Because the "text" price was assuming we had 800+ credit rating. Lame, right? Additionally, my wife has a corporation, so there's tax purposes in structuring our lease a certain way, so we had to plan this right. My idea was to use my name on the lease (plus her corporation), as I have slightly better credit than her (enough to push us to a better tier).

So we went from $233+taxes/month and $3900+ drive-away (from a $2500 downpayment) to $233+taxes and $2500 drive-away. As my wife was not with me, we could only let it simmer.

On Sun, I told them they needed to do better. They did better, although not what I wanted, but my wife and I had agreed if they got close, we'd seal the deal.....except she denied it as we drove to the dealership. Along the way she asked, "Are you happy?" I told her I wouldn't be happy until I signed the paperwork (foreshadow alert!).

They didn't have the car when we arrived at the dealership because it was still en route from the other dealership (which ended up being the port of San Diego), but we had drama because my wife was concerned her corporation's and my name on the lease and she wouldn't be able to deduct it from her taxes; on my end, I'm the Secretary of her corporation, so there shouldn't be a problem. The IRS was closed on Sunday, obviously, so all we could do is chat with accountant and lawyer friends for their opinions.

Then we met with the finance guy, which is where the trouble began....no, he didn't hoodwink us, but it seems VW's bank requires that "recently issued SSN must submit 10 year perm Residence card." Well, my wife is an immigrant, and she hasn't been in the US for 10 years yet, but she's not on the lease, so it's moot. However, she took the information as an affront and didn't know what to do. At some point, she pretty much said, "I'm going to our car. I don't want to buy this. I want to get out of here."

So for an hour, I'm dealing with this. In the interest of brevity at this point, I left without a new car, with a contract voided (on my end), and with little conversation on the ride home.

I'm livid. :-(

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Diego For This Useful Post:

Ed753 (06-20-2017)

Thanks
    My Ride

Appreciate the war story, Diego. Oh, the joys of car shopping!

Mazda doesn't seem so keen on leasing, because their deals seem about as poor as anyone in town. My Maz sales guy was OK, but when I needed to ditch the car a couple of months in because of aches and pains, he got quite forgetful, as did his managers.
    Then I got an email about a "4 pm appointment Thursday" which nobody had talked to or emailed me about. That was about the time I was at the Buick/GMC dealer driving the Terrain I leased the next day. Xin loi, Maz-mofoze!
    This is one of many reasons why I won't be sorry to see computer terminals and walking bots manning car dealerships.

The local VW dealership was oddly non-carnutty. Bunch of socially inept guys sitting at their desks with their noses buried in their devices. Customer? What customer?
    The sales girl, girl not woman, who hleped me out knew absolutely, utterly nothing about the cars, or probably anything else.

If she'd start chewing gum and smacking it while asking, "So ya wanna drive out in that car today?" it would probably help.

My one recent VW deal was in 1999 when the new Golf TDis were out. I found one in St. Louis, I was in the Little Rock area. I closed the deal by phone, we agreed on tentative prices. I had a '98 Concorde with low miles, I drove up there one morning--past George Kell's Chibby dealership out in the middle of nowhere--we signed, I pulled my gadgets out of the Concorde, plugged them into the Golf, and headed for home. Back before dark.

But as I said, the greatest impediment to buying a car seems to be the "sales" staff. Or in your case, the fi-guy. Most of the fi-guys I've dealt with over the years seemed pretty squared away.

I have no idea if all banks require that ID/SS# stuff but it wouldn't surprise me if they did. That could be statutory.

Looking forward to hearing more of your adventures, Diego! The hunt is on!
    2017 Soul &, Wolf Grey

Administrator
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1970 Olds 4-4-2

All I can say is that I'm glad she's visiting friends 3000 miles away through the weekend because I want to be alone.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Diego For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (06-20-2017)

Administrator
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1970 Olds 4-4-2

I hope she's happy....

Honda dealerships were consistently the worst, FWIW.
    Attached Images Attached Images

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Diego For This Useful Post:

Al63240 (07-07-2017),Ed753 (07-07-2017),Neanderthal (07-07-2017)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Diego View Post
    I hope she's happy....

Honda dealerships were consistently the worst, FWIW.
    Kewl. Red sports car!
    2017 Soul &, Wolf Grey

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information