GMI Review: MY2010 3.6 SIDI Calais V Sportwagon

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GMI Review: MY2010 3.6 SIDI Calais V Sportwagon

GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Piece of **** Subie Liberty

GMI Review: MY2010 3.6 SIDI Calais V Sportwagon

GMI Review: Calais V Sportwagon

The Grand Tourer

Chances are, if you love cars, you love a road trip. Is there finally an option that your passengers will love too? GMI takes the Holden Calais V Sportwagon through Australia's southern state of Victoria to find out.
    GMInsidenews.com
    12 July 2010

Michael McWilliams
    mikmak
    Australia Correspondent

One thing that I always dread about holidays is the logistics. Add my family to the equation and organising specific times and locations becomes exponentially more difficult. Schedules are relegated to mere guides, locations are rarely more defined than a post [zip] code, and, if you can get all of them to arrive at said post code within the same hour….. well I’m not sure what would happen because it is yet to actually occur. This particular holiday would take us to the beautiful Latrobe valley, through the Dandenong Ranges to a family wedding (with 10 types of dessert!), across Port Phillip Bay, along the Great Ocean Road, up through the Otway Ranges, and then back to the state’s capital city of Melbourne. There are eight different destinations over ten nights, six of which are along roads that I’ve never seen before, and, there are two kids under 6 that need to be entertained along the way, including air travel and on the buses. I know what you are thinking: “that sounds like fun”.

Inner City

Picking up the Calais V Sportwagon certainly started out promising. The cream leather interior is a distinct lift over the black on black of the Calais sedan we tested earlier in the year. The lighter interior surfaces are far more inviting, seemingly letting the world in and adding an air of comfort to the typically excellent accomodation I have become accustomed to in all the VE iterations. The full colour LCD screen provided excellent vision from the rearview camera, and overall, it was a very nice place to be.

For the back seat passengers, the Calais V Sportwagon also came with an overhead DVD player, (with wireless headphones no less) and door pockets which would soon be filled with chup-a-chup sticks, chomp wrappers, and possibly, carrots (depending on the level of restraint I could muster in the coming mountain ranges).

I found it rather odd, however, and dissapointing considering the unfamiliarity of my planned routes, that GPS is still an option on what is supposed to be the tip top of the VE food chain (absence of 2 extra cylinders aside). Last time I drove in Melbourne was in an old Toyota Land Cruiser, with a get-out-of-my-way bull bar. The presence of which, afforded me courtesy from fellow travellers, unlikely to be as forthcoming to the less imposing Sportwagon. When you don't exactly know where you are going, it's nice to have that little bit of extra confidence, especially when undertaking hook turns and dicing with the inner city trams.

The luggage area also posed some questions I'm not used to answering. Road trips in my own VZ wagon, rarely require much consideration with regard to space. There was enough room for all the suitcases and additional clothing required for [what I consider to be] antarctic type weather conditions, however, I hadn't played Tetris in quite some time. Cue the annoying bleeping [the tetris soundtrack, not my profainities]. Everything fit eventually, but, if it had have been a camping trip, a roof pod or trailer would be essential equipment. The other option would be to add the optional cargo screen to take advantage of the wagon roof line, but the trade off is rearward vision.

On the Out Skirts

When you compare the Calais V to the Berlina which crossed our paths last year, the most obvious difference is the brightwork along the lower flanks, as well as the larger rolling stock [245/45/R18]. It sits a little lower than the Berlina, and overall, the result of the smaller touches add up to a very attractive package. One fellow traveller I met along the way (a Chevy guy and former '57 Bel Air owner no less!) commented that they [Holden] had "really hit the nail on the head", favouring the smoother flow of the Sportwagon, over the more mainstream sedan.

A few stops later, the rear end also came in for some admiration, one observer concluding that it must be a V8, because it has "big twin exhausts" at the back. He was only about 12 years old, so instead of bursting his bubble, I reaffirmed his assumption with a V8-like departure (at least to the untrained ear).

It was a common theme during our time together, whether it be family, friends or strangers, that the Sportwagon drew more looks and admiration than I had expected. Yes I like it, but even those not normally drawn to wagons, where more than willing to compliment. The only dectractor was my uncle, whom asserted that the now dead and gone Toyota Avalon was the best large car ever made in Australia. It would seem that the chrome strips and bigs boots mostly do the aesthetic job, at least compared to the relative annonimty you get from the Berlina.

Heading For the Hills

After a day at the museum, the final destination of our second night in frozen wasteland.... sorry, Victoria, would be in Erica, near the picturesque olde gold mining town of Walhalla. We had already negotiated endless peak traffic in the city, then hours of flat, highway drudgery to get to the foot of the Latrobe Valley. After the eyelids of my fellow travellers, whom were now plump and content from the fine Italian cuisine of La Porchetta's in Warragul, had finally decended, so too had the distant dull grey orb [which Victorians laughably assured me was the sun].

The central display indicated an outside temp of 6 degrees celcius, but both sides of the Dual zone climate read a much more agreeable 24. I had previously driven this road only once and that was by day. Now, with street lights a distant memory, it was proper country dark. As I held both dimmer switches to activate the night driving mode, the central display dissappeared along with the tacho, and the cabin seemed to vanish, as the projector headlights penetrated the cold night air and the fog lights added 170 degrees of short range peripheral clarity. Every tree, every detail of winding damp, lit up like a stage. Hitting the high beams added to the theatrical lighting, the scenery appearing locked in a perpetual state of rock show crescendo. At the end of a long day of travel, this simple feature [night driving mode] and the comprehensive array of lights, added a distinct level of focus and confidence to my previously weary eyes. I arrived at Silvertop Cottages reassuringly alert. Which was handy because I still had to unpack the luggage...

All Terrain

As you might expect, we covered an amazing array of sufaces, from mirror smooth tollways, regional coarse chip two-lane highways and country lanes, to the bumpy, tram laden inner city. The weather varied from sunny but brisk, to miserable grey drizzle, ensuring that when the black top swapped places with dirt, ESP had it's work cut out for it.

We have already tested every suspension setting of the VE Range, and for me, the Calais V Sportwagon sits, dynamically, exactly where you would expect: at the very top.

Not as aggressively sprung as the SV6 Ute, but with superior body control to the Berlina Sportwagon (and far better than the Calais sedan), the Calais V is confidence inspiring without upsetting the apple cart…. or the navigator. After all, it was a family holiday. We weren’t here to just satisfy me. Okay, I lied. Like trying not to laugh in court, some things are beyond the control of mere mortals.

Descending the winding and bumpy road into Latrobe Valley, I tried so very hard, to restrain my enthusiasm, and consider my passengers. Once again that barely visible grey orb shone just enough to enlighten the undulations of the surface, freshly dampened by the morning’s drizzle.

After a few kilometers, my braking became less and less evident, until corners, were no longer preceded by the big pedal at all. I even ignored, or pretended not to notice, the squirming from the front passenger seat. The 245 18 inch Bridestone Potenza’s were performing above and beyond, working in concert with the wide track and low stance, urging a little more commitment. The only struggle with control, was mine alone and completely internal. The Sportwagon was well within it’s capabilities.

It wasn’t until I rounded a 100kph, right hand sweeper, that both my wife and ESP lodged protest. Both were triggered by a very momentary tail end slip, caused by a rather large dip mid corner. It was but a tiny blip on the RADAR, but ultimately enough to warrant warnings of a verbal kind. Lucky the Latrobe Valley has nice scenery. My restraint arrived too late however, to save said navigators jacket from the return of junior mak’s lunch.

Power To The People

After dispatching with Victoria's country east, we crossed Port Phillip Bay via the ferry from Sorrento, arriving at the start of the Great Ocean Road. The Great Ocean Road was built as a living memorial to Victorians who served in World War One, with initial funding coming from the Returned Services League (RSL) and local communities. Originally pegged out in 1919, you can really appreciate the toil and danger required to establish such a route, especially once you reach the other end of the journey.

Confronted with one of the most beautiful and iconic coastlines in the country, I was once again subjected to a level of temptation I found hard to resist. Cue additional verbal reminders. The scenery was, as promised, utterly spectacular and so too were the roads. Much of the coastal windings are not of particular high quality, as a combination of difficult access and high traffic, contribute to the age of spot repairs spanning decades. All of which however, is compensated for with a never ending assortment of on and off camber corners fighting with the views for your undying attention.

Along the blind corners and climb and fall of the road, the 210kW 3.6 SIDI partnered perfectly with the Sportwagon's premium suspension setup, never outplaying itself or overpowering the dampers. The transmission also remained compliant, selecting the right ratio for the right gradient and level of enthusiasm, which was handy when sucking the paint off the doors of tour buses. Overtaking opportunities are few and far between, so having the confidence to know when you can take advantage is an obvious high priority.

The Final Call

The next few days passed so quickly, that before we knew it, the 12 (9?) Apostles, Loch Ard Gorge, the Otway Flyer and all the towns and spectacles between, were behind us. The road back to Melbourne was designed to get you there as fast as possible (within posted limits of course) and was accordingly forgettable. For those that are interested, I used 11.6l/100km [20USMPG] along the Great Ocean road, which is mostly posted at 60 km/h and winding roads with the occassional roadworks forcing you to idle for upto 20 minutes. In the city the sportwagon drank the same, though upto 12.4 and as per other 3.6 SIDI VE's sat at around 8.3 [28 USMPG]on the highways, fully laden.

The only dissapointments were the absence of GPS on the top of the range vehicle, the occasional scrape from the nose when going down the driveway at Silvertop cottages, and a self tapping screw poking through the front right Potenza.

This was about loving the road trip and ultimately the score card rest on whether we came home smiling or swearing off the thought of another road trip anytime in the near future. I know everyone had plenty of space, and the comfort was clearly demonstrated by intermittent naps (though not from me thankfully). The biggest indicator however, especially from the kids, was that after 10 days and around 2000 kilometres, we never turned on the DVD player.

Not even once. This truly is a Grand Tourer.

Last edited by mikmak; 05-24-2016 at 06:47 PM.
    Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

Hidden Content

Follow me on Hidden Content
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Mondeo TDCI 2013

Re: GMI Review: 3.6 SIDI Calais V Sportwagon

Well done Mik another good review. Unless u are trying to fit in a fridge there always seems to be enough room in the back.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Very cool.. The interior is that same familar one we know but seems just a bit more refined.. something about it just makes it pop more.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 RedVee8's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 VF Calais "Heron White"

Very good MikMak.

I was wondering about the luggage area, though it seems roughly the same as the Captiva (3rd row down).

That would be by 1st choice in the Commodore range (although the V8 would be nice) as a 'real' car. The HSVs etc are for my dreams.

Glad you enjoyed it!
    Current Holdens.
    VH Commodore Vacationer 253 V8; AH Astra CDX 1.8; VF Calais 3.6V6
    plus U12 Nissan Pintara SuperHatch.
    Previous Holdens.
    69 HT Kingswood 186; 75 HJ Premier 202; 77 TC Gemini; 85 JD Camira SL/E 1.8i; CG06 Captiva LX 3.2V6, CG09 Captiva LX 3.2V6, 2012 VEII Commodore SV6 3.6sidi.

Keep Holden On.

Hidden Content
    St George Illawarra, Ibanez AEB10E-BK, Feider PBass, Challenger Bass
    4StringsGood

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,445 Times in 1,526 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

SS 6 speed cause its the only way i can get a manual in a sportwagon

Annoying that i have to wait for them to be affordable second hand to get a manual in a newish wagon

Thanks

28 mpg for a 'full size' wagon? Well, that kind of blows that whole rwd is ineffecient so we're not doing it in NA arguement out of the water, doesn't it?
    Current rides: 2014 GMC Terrain, 2011 Dodge Durango.
    Past rides: 2013 Buick Verano, 2006 GTO, 2005 Vibe (best car I've ever owned), 2006 Odyssey (the worst vehicle I've ever owned), 2005 Envoy, 2002 Wrangler, 2002 S10, 2000 Sierra C1500, 1997 Sierra K1500 (2nd best car I've ever owned), 1996 Stratus, 1996 SW1 Saturn, 1994 Toyota Pickup (4x4 - 2nd worst car I've ever owned), 1992 Dakota, 1988 GMC Suburban, 1987 S10 Blazer, 1985 Scrambler, 1980 Tercel

GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Piece of **** Subie Liberty

Quote Originally Posted by RedVee8 View Post
    Very good MikMak.

I was wondering about the luggage area, though it seems roughly the same as the Captiva (3rd row down).

That would be by 1st choice in the Commodore range (although the V8 would be nice) as a 'real' car. The HSVs etc are for my dreams.

Glad you enjoyed it!
    Calais V would be quite a stretch for me at the moment, but I definitely rate the 3.6 SIDI very highly. My little brother ....actually his wife picks up a Black SV6 Sportwagon tomorrow, which would be my choice if not for how low the front end is. A great all round vehicle and a very satisfying drive.
    Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

Hidden Content

Follow me on Hidden Content
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! Hidden Content

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

I liked your review. Well written.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

CAFE is a huge waste of engineering time and resources. 28 mpg is sufficient fuel economy.
    How about getting industries other than the car industry to improve their efficiency?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikmak View Post

Was your check engine light on the entire time? [EDIT] Never mind, the engine isn't on. Duh!

Quote Originally Posted by EcL1pZ View Post
    Very cool.. The interior is that same familar one we know but seems just a bit more refined.. something about it just makes it pop more.
    Agreed. I love my G8, but I really like the cream leather look of this wagon. It remind me of our '99 Olds Intrigue (loved that car!). Also, I wish our G8 dashes always displayed the average mpg & speed.
    Last edited by walkerna; 07-12-2010 at 08:22 AM. Reason: answered my own stupid question
    Current Ride:
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Previous Rides:
    2006 Pontiac G6 GTP (Coupe)
    1992 GMC Conversion Van

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Don't let my wife see this. She'll make me sell the Equinox and make us move to Australia to get one.

Pity we can't get one in the States. I know I would have bought this over an Equinox if it were available.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

It's interesting you should post this. I just got back from a little weekend "getaway" myself in my G8/GT. I would have loved to have had a wagon version of my GT(just a little more room). But here in NA, GM forces us to buy the CTS. That is what they are giving us. Make us pay $15000 more for a car with no V-8. And before all you kool-aid GM drinkers say "what about the CTS-V?", I said a CTS. And it only comes with V-6's. Nowhere near as good a car as a Commodore with a V-8.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

We need that here as a CHEVELLE Wagon model as part of a Chevelle line of premium Chevrolet's!!!-------(((NOW!!))

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 camaro_freak's Avatar
    Thanks

If you bring it, they will come. Please bring this wagon here now!

for the record GM... I need a new car, I've got money for a deposit, and I am leaning towards a wagon for my family needs.

I can't afford a CTS wagon so I guess I'll have to go elsewhere to get what I need

I don't want an SUCKUV or a CUV - I want a wagon!
    Hidden Content
    Check out my blog at: Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Hitman1970's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Regal Turbo PG1 Cr Red Tc

MikmAk,

Great review. If wagons don't sell in large enough numbers for homegrown models how about GM sends about 5,000 of this already developed beauty over here with the cops cars for the finicky few?
    Current: 12 Buick Regal Turbo Premium I Group (Crystal Red/Cashmere with sunroof) and 09 Saturn Outlook XR

Previous: 09 Pontiac G8 GT (09-12), 06 Buick LaCrosse CXS (06-09), 05 Ford Freestyle SEL (05-09) 02 Hyundai Elantra GT (01-06), 00 VW Jetta (00-05), 85 Mercedes 350 SEL (99-01), 84 BMW 316 (98-99), 90 Mitsubishi Mirage(91-98), 79 Chrysler LeBaron (88-90), 73 Dodge Dart Swinger (87-88).

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information