GMI Drives: Kia Stinger 330Si - Page 3

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GMI Drives: Kia Stinger 330Si

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 734 Posts

Re: GMI Drives: Kia Stinger 330Si

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    What kind of car? My 2011 Kia Optima I had and the 2006 Miata I currently have has a little button on the door handle that unlocks the door. My Honda CRV unlocks when you put your hand on the door handle. I have never had to take the fob out of my pocket on any of them.
    OK, I found the button, it does open the door.
    Just got a call from Mazda that they're installing the new tranny today so I guess it won't matter much longer.
    31,000 miles. New transmission. Not happy about it but glad I got it in a few months before the 5 yr warranty ran out

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1993 Holden Calais VPII
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnout Czar View Post
    Seems like all you get these days for rentals are Kia's and Hyundai's. They are real **** boxes. I can't imagine the stinger being much different. You Aussies have fallen a far way if this is the stuff you think qualifies as a good car.
    The Stinger is very different from much of the Kia range.

Also, all Hyundais and Kias have suspension work done in Australia to suit our tastes.

Another important point is that in the US, cars are cheap AF. To remain competitive, your base models are below ours in a number of key measures. As an example, your previous Malibu poverty pack was not offered here, and your mid spec sold as our base model didn't even make an impact on the segment. The highest spec model even less so. Both manufacturers offer exceptional warranty coverage, so the **** boxes you are referring to have been specced and tuned to market expectations and viability.

In short, you've made your bed and now must sleep in it.
    Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

Hidden Content

Follow me on Hidden Content
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! Hidden Content

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikmak For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (05-23-2018),V-Car (05-23-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,235 Times in 1,753 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Seems like all you get these days for rentals are Kia's and Hyundai's. They are real **** boxes. I can't imagine the stinger being much different. You Aussies have fallen a far way if this is the stuff you think qualifies as a good car.
    Shows just how far GM have fallen then! The Hyundai/Kia models we get in Europe are better than the equivalent Opel/Vauxhalls and way better than the Chevrolet *** boxes sent to Europe.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruperts Trooper For This Useful Post:

V-Car (05-23-2018)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,622 Times in 3,630 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by mikmak View Post
    The Stinger is very different from much of the Kia range.

Also, all Hyundais and Kias have suspension work done in Australia to suit our tastes.

Another important point is that in the US, cars are cheap AF. To remain competitive, your base models are below ours in a number of key measures. As an example, your previous Malibu poverty pack was not offered here, and your mid spec sold as our base model didn't even make an impact on the segment. The highest spec model even less so. Both manufacturers offer exceptional warranty coverage, so the **** boxes you are referring to have been specced and tuned to market expectations and viability.

In short, you've made your bed and now must sleep in it.
    I've owned four cheap chinese crapboxes, my d-i-l is on her second Sorento. I also owned several Americano cars in the meantime, and the Pontiac, Chrysler, and Dodge all had ISSUES.
    All required multiple dealer visits, and in two cases the problems were never resolved.

The KIAs? One Sorento auto trannie that had had its arse worked off doing runabout duties up and down the hills of SF for 70,000 miles. Replaced under warranty for a $25 bridge fee.

Yes, real ****boxes.

Believe what you like, boys. Wishing it was so does not make it so.
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 05-23-2018 at 11:42 AM.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Life is hard; it’s harder if you’re stupid--John Wayne

In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.
    Education is not the learning of facts, it’s rather the training of the mind to think--Albert Einstein

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

Ruperts Trooper (05-23-2018),V-Car (05-23-2018)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

I guess Fiat doesn't bring over the Dodge Charger to Aussie Land? You guys always loved the big V8's. I would take a Hemi Charger over Kia junk for my 50 grand.

Thanks
    My Ride

2017 Soul &, Titanium

Education is not the learning of facts, it’s rather the training of the mind to think--Albert Einstein

Thanks
    My Ride
    1993 Holden Calais VPII

Quote Originally Posted by joey View Post
    I guess Fiat doesn't bring over the Dodge Charger to Aussie Land? You guys always loved the big V8's. I would take a Hemi Charger over Kia junk for my 50 grand.
    I would love Chrysler to bring the Charger over here. But they haven't. And yes we still love V8s but there aren't any.

As for junk, nobody else in Australia, let me say that again NOBODY else in Australia offered a 7 years unlimited km warranty until Kia had. If your products are junk, you can't afford to offer that kind of warranty, especially in a country that is as big as the US but 10th the population. Many people do big ks just to visit their relatives. Chrysler warranty for the 300c in Australia is 3 years/100,000kms. Hardly confidence inspiring.

Hidden Content

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mikmak For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (05-24-2018)

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Holden Commodore VE SV6

How did you find the headroom and space in the back?

I sat in one at the Perth Motor Pavillion.
    It was a nice car, but the back was bit squishy and anyone over 5,7 kept hitting their heads on the roof.
    TBH, I felt that it was more of a 4 seater than a 5.
    Current Garage:

- 1998 Holden VT Commodore 50th Anniversary Wagon
    - 2000 Holden Jackaroo SE V6
    - 2001 Holden Jackaroo SE TD
    - 2012 Holden VEII Commodore SV6 (Ex-WAPOL TE 205)
    - 2013 Toyota HiAce 3.0TD (Telstra Spec)
    - 1985 Mercedes Benz O305

RIP Holden 1948 - 2017

Thanks
    My Ride
    1993 Holden Calais VPII

Yep, Optima has better rear headroom. So too the Sonata and Camry #RHEADROOM. Calais/Commodore liftback is quite tight though not quite Stinger tight.

Hidden Content

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 984 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

Excellent write up and review. Thank you for such a fine effort.

I’m personally not interested in a Kia stinger but your review kept me on the edge of my seat with interest.

I look forward to future articles ..

Hope you had fun.

JB

17. The Following User Says Thank You to JBsZ06 For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (05-28-2018)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by mikmak View Post
    I would love Chrysler to bring the Charger over here. But they haven't. And yes we still love V8s but there aren't any.

As for junk, nobody else in Australia, let me say that again NOBODY else in Australia offered a 7 years unlimited km warranty until Kia had. If your products are junk, you can't afford to offer that kind of warranty, especially in a country that is as big as the US but 10th the population. Many people do big ks just to visit their relatives. Chrysler warranty for the 300c in Australia is 3 years/100,000kms. Hardly confidence inspiring.
    FORD is cashing in on the popularity of the Mustang.

It has jacked up the price for the second time in two years — this time by up to almost $9000 — even though the improving exchange rate with the US dollar should see prices come down.

The starting price of the updated Mustang due on sale mid-year will jump from $45,990 to $49,990 for the four-cylinder coupe (up $4000), the V8 coupe starts from $62,990 instead of $57,490 (up $5500) and the V8 convertible goes from $65,900 to $74,800 (up $8800).

The Mustang V8 coupe auto goes up by $6000, in part due to its new 10-speed transmission.
    Ford is even charging Mustang fanatics $650 for black or white bonnet stripes.

Ford initially forecast it would sell just 1000 Mustangs in Australia each year; in 2018 the Mustang was the top selling sports-car with more than 9000 reported as sold, an all-time record.

The Mustang tally was more than five times higher than its nearest sports-car rival, the Toyota 86.

Despite the arrival of a new model, the Mustang is unlikely to top 9000 sales this year because the 2017 tally included orders carried over from the year before.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/in...d581da0443b230

By Patrick Rall G+ Apr 8 2016 - 4:19pm
    Next Gen Dodge Challenger Could Be Sold in Australia
    Mopar lovers in Australia have been pleading with the Chrysler Group for a right hand drive Dodge Challenger to compete with the Ford Mustang and the rumored arrival of the Chevrolet Camaro, and based on new reports, the future is looking brighter than ever for a proper Mopar muscle car to be sold Down Under – just not during this generation.

https://www.torquenews.com/106/next-...sold-australia

DECEMBER 7, 201711:03PM
    Chevrolet is locked and loaded for a major push into Australia next year, starting in April with the Silverado pick-up, which promises heavyweight hauling and towing ability.

The V8 Camaro coupe will land in July to resume its longstanding muscle car rivalry with the Ford Mustang.

The Chevrolet program is a Holden Special Vehicles project, backed by Holden, to do right-hand drive conversions and production work at a bigger new headquarters at Clayton, Victoria.

The two newcomers will retain Chevrolet badges but will be sold through HSV Holden dealers. The Camaro SS, with more speed and power than the Mustang, should start at about $85,000.

The initial sales target for the Camaro is about 1000 cars and, for the Silverado, slightly fewer. The pick-up’s diesel engines endow massive towing and hauling capacity, the larger of the two producing 1234Nm.

Harland says he sees no conflict of interest between HSV’s Chevrolet work and the similar conversion and production carried out by another division of the Walkinshaw empire on the RAM truck.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/in...c35acb75c54190
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

YEH
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    I'll be interested in how it sells. As you said, any manufacturer can build something like this, but I suspect the sales volume isn't there to justify it.

The Stinger thus far is selling pretty well.

Sold 1,761 here last month.

In its 5 largest markets (US, Korea, EU, Australia and Canada) did over 3,200 in sales last month (and some markets, like Canada, are still waiting for the 2.0T powertrain).

The Stinger outsold the Lexus IS in the EU and in the German-speaking and Scandinavian markets, the Stinger outsells the entire Lexus RWD car lineup, if not both Lexus and Infiniti RWD models.

In the EU markets w/ higher CO2 taxes, the V6 Stinger costs as much as a Panamera.

Sales there should increase when Kia adds the hybrid variant; a hybrid w/ the upcoming, new 2.5TT (300+ HP) should be plenty of power for most.

In Australia, 78% of Stinger buyers opt for the most expensive GT variant and 82% going for the V6.

And 35% of buyers V6 buyers are opting to add the dealer-fit bimodal sports exhaust, a $2659.99 option, pushing the price to nearly AU$63k.

The Stinger certainly isn't perfect.

Aside from the US-spec being decontented versus the EU, Canadian and Australian versions, Kia certainly could tweak the suspension and ramp up the sport in the sport+ mode (and/or offer a GT-S variant).

Even tho the Stinger was developed to be a Gran Tourer, they could have added a more hard-core mode/variant for those looking for it (w/o having to go the after-market route).

The G70 has those attributes; while some of it can be attributed to the G70's shorter wheelbase and lighter weight, it also was given a more track-focused bent in development.

Here's a great comparison btwn the Stinger GT AWD and 'Stang GT.

Really like Throttle House reviews as are more enthusiast-oriented (Thomas is a Time Attack driver).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdsxfTJiTVw

Here's his review of the G70 AWD w/ references/comparisons to the Stinger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ysDqRN5IZ8

Actually, will find more Toyotas and Nissans on rental lots.

And funny, most H/K models are ranked higher than their Toyota and Nissan counterparts by Car & Driver.
    Last edited by YEH; 06-10-2018 at 04:26 AM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to YEH For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (06-10-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,235 Times in 1,753 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by YEH View Post
    In the EU markets w/ higher CO2 taxes, the V6 Stinger costs as much as a Panamera.

That must be a strange effect of local taxes in the country used for comparison - in the UK, the Stinger V6 is £41,000 while the Panamera is from £68,000 - both cars getting standard 20% VAT and higher first year rate of annual taxation (included in OTR prices)
    Last edited by Ruperts Trooper; 06-10-2018 at 05:12 AM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruperts Trooper For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (06-10-2018)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar asrapid1's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 587 Posts

In my country cheapest model of KIA Stinger cost around 55000 €. (2.0 T). The most expensive one 3.3 V6 T (without any additional equipment) cost around 78 000 E. Cheapest Porsche Panamera Cost around 110-120 000€ (final price is not put on pages for my country so it could be more.).

24. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information