GMI Drives: Holden ZB Calais Tourer V6 (video)

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: GMI Drives: Holden ZB Calais Tourer V6 (video)

GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1993 Holden Calais VPII

GMI Drives: Holden ZB Calais Tourer V6 (video)

Brand New: Part Two
    V6 Country Cat

Michael McWilliams
    Australian Correspondent
    GMInsidenews.com

25 June 2018

Hits:
    V6 Growl
    Great space
    Great country style handling
    Modern looks
    Conservative but nice cabin

Misses:
    Spacesaver
    No economy gain over VF
    Transmission tuned for low down torque, but V6 tuned for yanks high rpm max torque

INSTAGALLERY: #V6CountryCat
    Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

Hidden Content

Follow me on Hidden Content
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! Hidden Content

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mikmak For This Useful Post:

chinamonty (06-25-2018)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Walking
    Thanks

Re: GMI Drives: Holden ZB Calais Tourer V6 (video)

[QUOTE=mikmak;7062623]Brand New: Part Two
    V6 Country Cat

Michael McWilliams
    Australian Correspondent
    GMInsidenews.com

25 June 2018

Hits:
    V6 Growl
    Great space
    Great country style handling
    Modern looks
    Conservative but nice cabin

Misses:
    Spacesaver
    No economy gain over VF
    Transmission tuned for low down torque, but V6 tuned for yanks high rpm max torque

hi, ive driven the ZB commodore myself, it was a rental from Avis in Perth Western Australia, i was sort of excited to drive the car as i was given the keys, firstly i am a Holden Fan, only ever owned Holden Cars, I'm 197cm tall and 120 kg in weight, i currently own a full size VY commodore as a family car and i drive a YE Calibra as a daily.

Back to the ZB drive, the car is much smaller than the previous VF Commodore, i had the 2 litre turbo, i was shocked when i climbed into the car, putting the seat all the way down gave me good head room but putting the seat back so my legs were in a comfortable driving position for me caused an issue, the seat belt wasn't in contact with my body, the B pillar is fwd of the rear most position of the seat, in a crash there would be considerable distance moved before the seat belt started to restrain. the seats pans aren't as deep as the previous model so its uncomfortable when driving for a long distance, we tend to drive long distances in Australia.

the car has two cup holder in the front of the centre console, these are under a little sliding door, if you have a GPS or something plugged into the 12volt plug, you only can use one cup holder, there is supposed to be bottle holders in the door trims but standard water bottles don't fit, maybe german water bottles are smaller.

the cabin is narrow and the centre console is tall, as a result its actually a cramped feeling when compared to my YE Calibra, which is a small coupe. the engine was quite spritely in traffic but once on the open road i was dissapointed with its lack of push. i tried Nailing it from a set of traffic lights, it accelerated well but lacked the squat on launch and the constant push of the previous Commodore, i was impressed with the engine just ticking over at 1300 rpm when driving at 110 kmh, great for economy, but nailing the throttle at this speed resulted in momentary confusion for the engine and transmission till it figured out what to do, from then it was a harsh noisy effort without much else. the VF commodore V6 has a significant push in the back from this speed. then there is the stop start feature which gets very confused in stop start peak hour traffic, turn it off and its a much smoother ride.

its a capable car on a straight smooth road. just like every other car is. throwing the car into corners didn't give any thrills or confidence with the car.

i was also shocked at the A pillar wind noise at 110 kmh. my VY Commodore doesn't have this noise and it has 325000km on the clock. there is also shocking road noise from the tyres, total lack of sound insulation in the back.

The very small rear window is just a little oval in the centre of mirror surrounded by the rear window pillars, side mirrors are small which reduces what you can see behind you.

then just for fun i tried to sit in the back seat behind the drivers seat, i couldn't get in the car. i can in a VF Commodore.

my overall feeling about the car is its a nice 4 seat car but it doesn't have the heart or soul of a Commodore, would i, a Holden fan buy this car? No, its way to expensive for what you get, it sits in as the most expensive car in its Category and the other cars in the category are winners of numerous awards. think hyundai i45, Toyota Camry, Mazda 6,

I will upgrade my VY Commodore but i will buy a Second hand VF Commodore, so much better to drive, so much more car than the current ZB 4 wheels and seat

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HoldenV8 For This Useful Post:

AceRimmer (06-27-2018),AusCalais (06-26-2018),chinamonty (06-25-2018),hq308 (06-25-2018),V-Car (06-25-2018)

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

One of the few times I've read about someone complaining about the corp. GM V6 and how it's tuned. I agree.
    My wife, me, and my daughter all tried to buy GM from a very good local dealer and all of us were disappointed on how they 'felt'. Wife and daughter both saying 'it doesn't go unless you floor it'. Now I know better why they tune it the way the do, MPG!!!!!! We don't care. Wife bought a E350, daughter bought a V6 charger, and I got a 300 V8. ohh, well.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    HQ Holden 1974 Saffron Metalic

I love your choice of music Mikmak, "I like your old stuff better than your new stuff"
    Current rides
    2004 VZ SV6
    2005 VZ Commodore Wagon HFV6
    1974 HQ Holden 308 V8

Hidden Content

9. The Following User Says Thank You to hq308 For This Useful Post:

mikmak (08-08-2018)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,430 Times in 3,127 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Equinox V6| 2013 Traverse

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisNJ View Post
    One of the few times I've read about someone complaining about the corp. GM V6 and how it's tuned. I agree.
    My wife, me, and my daughter all tried to buy GM from a very good local dealer and all of us were disappointed on how they 'felt'. Wife and daughter both saying 'it doesn't go unless you floor it'. Now I know better why they tune it the way the do, MPG!!!!!! We don't care. Wife bought a E350, daughter bought a V6 charger, and I got a 300 V8. ohh, well.
    9 speed and 10 speed fixed the low end go..

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

Finally saw a new Commodore on the road last evening. It is hardly a standout design.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,902 Times in 1,243 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    9 speed and 10 speed fixed the low end go..
    The Holden ZB has the 9 speed across the board so clearly this is a falsehood
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

13. The Following User Says Thank You to VS Ute 5Litre For This Useful Post:

nota (07-12-2018)

GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1993 Holden Calais VPII

I've found myself looking these up on Carsales....

Just saying
    Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

Hidden Content

Follow me on Hidden Content
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! Hidden Content

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mikmak For This Useful Post:

mbukukanyau (08-08-2018)

16. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information