GMI Drives: Holden Insignia VXR - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GMI Drives: Holden Insignia VXR

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 PontiacBixler's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 Pontiac G6 GT Coupe

Re: GMI Drives: Holden Insignia VXR

Would have made a killer Pontiac G6 GXP...
    What is happening to the GM that grew up with for these many decades? If I could I would institute a hostile take over and kick the entire board and executives out and fill the positions with creative minds under the age of 35.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Cajun G8's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 Chevrolet SS

Quote Originally Posted by PontiacBixler View Post
    Would have made a killer Pontiac G6 GXP...
    For sure, even though it was originally intended to be the next Saturn Aura!
    Current: 2015 Chevrolet SS
    Current: 2014 Chevrolet Sonic LTZ sedan
    Former: 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche LTZ
    Former: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Giulietta QV, Cruze SRi Z

Quote Originally Posted by mikmak View Post
    Pretty much what you said already. Buick is producing some nice cars.

They're really nice.

Nice guys finish last.

I'm a Vectra fan. A JSII GL Olympic Edition 5M 2.2 sedan was my previous car and when I passed it on, it had done 285,000kms. over 200,000 of them were under my demanding size 13 feet. It was a handy car to punt around and to learn about limitations, feedback and control. I almost followed up with a ZC but had more babies so needed a wagon.

It's kind of ironic that the ZC was killed off because the price of a CDXI was .....about 50k! And that was too close to an SS.

This is the same problem that the Insignia has.

The boggle is that everyone with 50 k burning a hole in their pocket will compare the two. Even my original review was a comparison against a VF SSV that went for 17 minutes. It also had shoddy editing and too many swear words so I cut this version with a sole focus on the product itself.

In isolation it's a well sorted, slightly ornery luxo slingshot laden with technology, big brakes and snug recaro seats.

In comparison to the SSV V8 it's underpowered, low on torque, slow off the line and not roomy enough.

By the look of your history though, I'm pretty confident that you would LOVE the Insignia. Take one for a drive. It doesn't cost anything. I'd like to hear your thoughts on it.

The Insignia is about more than the engine IMO, though I'm not familiar with the full spec of the Regal. Does it come with Brembos (they make a massive difference), HiPerStrut, Flexride and the Haldex eLSD pairing?
    I seriously loved my JSII Vectra 2.0 hatch. It was slightly pimped by the dealer for putting on a stand at a Perth motor show; lowered, 17s, skirts, rear spoiler and the front air dam (complete with fogs) from the CD model. The mods to the suspension and the low profile tyres stiffened the ride but it was never uncomfortable. It had pretty good in-gear acceleration for a 100kW/185Nm four, was a relaxed cruiser, economical and just ate up the kms without drama. I always thought this model was the most attractive of all the Vectras, with clean lines, subtle curves and quite tight tapering towards the rear. It was my most favourite of my cars, until I traded it for a late 2005 build ZC Vectra CDXi, with the 3.2V6 and 5 spd auto.

Mate, that was a sublime car. Not as sharp a handler as the JSII, but still well sorted front to rear. Steering was quicker than the JSII, perhaps a little lighter at parking speeds but it weighted up well at speed. I never expereienced any torque steer, even with 300nm going through the front wheels. The ride was disciplined, compliant and supremely comfortable. The Aisin transmission was a smooth and quick shifter. I loved the tap-shift gate and mostly used that for downshifts when overtaking - maybe dropping down one gear too many just to get that V6 growl.

Those Vectras are still in my heart and mind. So yeah, I'd probably love the 'Sig. Better go and drive one then. I'll tell them you sent me Mick

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rdwa76 For This Useful Post:

mikmak (04-28-2016)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Piece of **** Subie Liberty

Haha. Have at it! Keep in mind that it's not the quietest car on the road. But for me that's part of the charm. You can hear and feel what is going on. Also, the paddle shifters work well in this and it will hold gears how ever you tell it to, so don't blame it when you go in to a corner and forget to downshift. I may have done that once or twice. Likewise exiting a corner and still in second 200 m down the road. If you find the shifts too harsh, just leave it in normal mode. That is by far the most comfortable set up. I typically leave it in sport, unless I need an alibi, in which case I press the VXR button and punish my self.
    Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

Hidden Content

Follow me on Hidden Content
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! Hidden Content

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

The Insignia is about more than the engine IMO, though I'm not familiar with the full spec of the Regal. Does it come with Brembos (they make a massive difference), HiPerStrut, Flexride and the Haldex eLSD pairing?
    Ah, well my point was more that you're right, but that the Buick doesn't receive that last component: engine. While this 2.8T isn't perfect, it at least provides the character that'd make a Regal GS more charming.

Regals do have everything about which you inquired, except that Active 4x4 is optional. The GS comes in a trio of formats: sedan FWD/manual, sedan FWD/automatic, sedan AWD/automatic. Really, the main difference between Buick's version versus OPC/VXR versions is the engine, that and AWD is optional. Granted I don't know that a VXR is much quicker than an Aurion 3.5L setting aside AWD traction differences, but in NA markets a 259 horsepower 2.0T just isn't sufficient in a performance version, even if it costs much less compared to VXR/OPC versions. By comparison, a Regal GS with AWD starts at 37,000 USD while a 2017 Fusion Sport (325 horsepower 2.7TT with AWD) will start at ~34,000 USD. That said, your point is completely accurate that these aren't sedans centered on power, so I fully expect a Regal GS AWD will have better dynamics on some level. I don't mean to just make it about output, just that Buick could've been more competitive by having a superior engine choice. I would like to have more confidence that Opel will have another OPC version to continue this lineage globally, but I wouldn't be surprised somehow if they didn't. Just seems to be the trend among such sedans.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rdwa76 View Post
    I am sorely tempted, although I have to wonder where the Insignia badge will be in 18 months time when the new Commodore hits the streets. Will I be the custodian of yet another mid-size orphan from Holden? (Yes......guilty as charged with UC Torana, then-current JD Camira and Vectras JSII & ZC. I suppose the the thing they all had in common was me!)
    The Insignia has already joined the Holden orphanage. No more imports. It was a very expensive marketing exercise (actually more like a fantasy), Holden ended up losing a fortune, and sold f/all anyway.

I'm surprised Holden still keep Insignias in their press fleet.

Same with the current Astra.

Next!

BTW, I hear the Gliwice plant are ready to start production of the new Holden Astra.
    Last edited by GolfBravo; 04-29-2016 at 08:19 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by GolfBravo View Post
    I am sorely tempted, although I have to wonder where the Insignia badge will be in 18 months time when the new Commodore hits the streets. Will I be the custodian of yet another mid-size orphan from Holden? (Yes......guilty as charged with UC Torana, then-current JD Camira and Vectras JSII & ZC. I suppose the the thing they all had in common was me!)
    The Insignia has already joined the Holden orphanage. No more imports. It was a very expensive marketing exercise (actually more like a fantasy), Holden ended up losing a fortune, and sold f/all anyway.

Next!

BTW, I hear the Gliwice plant are ready to start production of the new Holden Astra.
    I'm surprised they splashed so much cash but barely a cent on advertising. I don't think it's on the fleet anymore.

I didn't realise they had ended imports. That's a shame but I'm not sure they knew what to do with it. Even worse, those sale numbers will justify not bringing in a performance variant next time.

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Giulietta QV, Cruze SRi Z

I'm surprised they splashed so much cash but barely a cent on advertising. I don't think it's on the fleet anymore.

I didn't realise they had ended imports. That's a shame but I'm not sure they knew what to do with it. Even worse, those sale numbers will justify not bringing in a performance variant next time.
    Well that's confirmed it. I am a serial killer.

All I was doing was thinking seriously about the Insignia. Honest. The drive is booked this week.

And I've killed it. Another mid-size Holden bites the dust. Because. Of. Me.

And the Astra? Yep, Owned a 2009 SRi 2.2 (schmick little one, that one).

And a 2014 Cruze SRiZ 1.6T.

Do you think Holden is gonna send the cops over to dig up my floorboards and look for any other evidence related to the death of its mid-sizers (and small cars, too by the looks of things). I mean I would gladly have ended the Epica and annihilated the Apollo but I never even turned a key in either.

Is it my fault Holden is ending manufacturing?????

Thanks
    My Ride

It's a tragedy. Then again maybe mid sizers just don't suit their customer base.

Actually midsizers in general are bombing right now.

Hidden Content

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

Well that's confirmed it. I am a serial killer.

All I was doing was thinking seriously about the Insignia. Honest. The drive is booked this week.

And I've killed it. Another mid-size Holden bites the dust. Because. Of. Me.

And the Astra? Yep, Owned a 2009 SRi 2.2 (schmick little one, that one).

And a 2014 Cruze SRiZ 1.6T.

Do you think Holden is gonna send the cops over to dig up my floorboards and look for any other evidence related to the death of its mid-sizers (and small cars, too by the looks of things). I mean I would gladly have ended the Epica and annihilated the Apollo but I never even turned a key in either.

Is it my fault Holden is ending manufacturing?????
    There isn't a GTR-X under those floorboards is there? I'll be right over if there is.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Holden S2 LX Captiva diesel

Quote Originally Posted by GolfBravo View Post

Next!

I was told they took them off the press fleet in sydney but i when I went to pick up a Cruze and there was something wrong with it they managed to find a VXR Insignia for me to take instead. Did like driving it most people that rode in it liked it as well but all of them laughed when I told them the price specially a couple of them that own VF SS commodores.
    I notice they are now offering its little brother the VXR Astra for for $37,990 drive away now, really loved that car despite it looking old on the inside.
    Look out im on twitter @kts350
    3 on the Tree Hidden Content size="4">http://kts350.wix.com/3onthetree

Thanks
    My Ride

I think the VXR Astra should have been pushed a little harder, but how do you advertise performance in Australia without getting banned? Hence we get a bunch of drones buzzing around somewhat aimlessly.

Hidden Content

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mikmak For This Useful Post:

kts350 (05-03-2016)

Thanks
    My Ride
    Holden S2 LX Captiva diesel

I think the VXR Astra should have been pushed a little harder, but how do you advertise performance in Australia without getting banned? Hence we get a bunch of drones buzzing around somewhat aimlessly.
    Yep stupid laws.
    Cracker of a car has more grip then I have talent,
    Look out im on twitter @kts350
    3 on the Tree Hidden Content size="4">http://kts350.wix.com/3onthetree

18. The Following User Says Thank You to kts350 For This Useful Post:

mikmak (09-05-2016)

Thanks
    My Ride

Bump! For Posterity.

Hidden Content

20. The Following User Says Thank You to mikmak For This Useful Post:

AusCalais (02-28-2018)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,536 Times in 1,913 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by VS Ute 5Litre View Post
    My Pet hate

The indicator stalk is on the wrong bloody side !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It's a Vauxhall, Brits got used to the RHD indicators on the wrong side 50 years ago - changing the Griffin to a Lion was all Holden could afford as changing the stalk would have been a Holden-only specification.

22. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information