GMI Drives: Holden Cascada 1.6 Turbo - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GMI Drives: Holden Cascada 1.6 Turbo

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

Re: GMI Drives: Holden Cascada 1.6 Turbo

It sounds like having a flip top box is not worth the hassle! At least you can the Audi in red.
    Last edited by chinamonty; 01-04-2016 at 09:30 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    VF SV6, GC8 WRX, Audi A3 Cab

Quote Originally Posted by chinamonty View Post
    It sounds like having a flip top box is not worth the hassle! At least you can the Audi in red.
    Funny you should say that. I don't drive it a lot (middle aged men in convertibles...) but I took it down to my parents in Frankston at the start of December looking forward to having the roof off. My 13 year old son complained (not for the first time) that it was too hot and wanted the roof back on and the aircon turned up...
    Hidden Content
    2014 VF Holden Commodore SV6 sedan
    Manual, sunroof, satnav, 1600kg tow bar, side track stripes, sports armour, 19" SSV wheels
    2015 Audi A3 Attraction Cabriolet
    Black/black, Auto, Technik pack
    1998 Subaru Impreza WRX sedan
    Manual, upgraded turbo & APS intercooler, 3" exhaust, slotted rotors, 18" wheels, tow bar, Koni shocks, APS ECU upgrade
    2012 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
    Grey/Black leather, satnav, camera, SST Auto AWD 2.0L Turbo

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by mikmak View Post
    IIRC it was the breakaway blocks on the TS which casued the most head aches. Essentially it was an engineered hunk of plastic that was supposed to give if the lid hooks didn't release from the windscreen frame during a retraction. They were a couple of grand for a pair. Some guy in oz made his own business out of being a local source.

A co-worker of mine had the same issue and paid someone to fabricate a replacement which cost less than ordering the part in from the UK.
    Every time someone uses IIRC I have to Google it - for some reason it is one TLA (FLA ?) that does not stick in my head...
    Hidden Content
    Manual, sunroof, satnav, 1600kg tow bar, side track stripes, sports armour, 19" SSV wheels
    Manual, upgraded turbo & APS intercooler, 3" exhaust, slotted rotors, 18" wheels, tow bar, Koni shocks, APS ECU upgrade

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1993 Holden Calais VPII

You old.

Just like me.
    Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

Hidden Content

Follow me on Hidden Content
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! Hidden Content

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mikmak For This Useful Post:

kts350 (01-05-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by isszy View Post
    The market that the Cascada is trying to sell into is dominated by the Audi A3 and BMW 1/2 series. These are a good $10K more expensive. The Mini and Renault Megane are about $7K cheaper, and the VW is about the same price.

We bought a demo A3 for around the same price as a new Cascada.

A week before Christmas Mrs AusCalais and me wandered into the local Holden 'dealership' to have a look at a Cascada... the response: "Oh we sold the one we had... come back after Christmas we might have another then"

This is on top of the let's look at an Astra TwinTop in the showroom at ~4:50pm one afternoon about 3 years ago to be told: "we're closing soon, can you come back tomorrow?"

Which in turn was on top of the the Zafira test drive circa2003 on a Saturday at around midday where we waited for 30 minutes for it to return, only to be told when it came back: "I'm sorry but a staff member has to take it home and it won't be back for the rest of the weekend".

This time around Mrs AusCalais looked me square in the eye and said: "I will never step foot in this place again.... and don't ever talk to me about a Holden again."

The Audi dealer has a different view of the world ... the A3 drives very nicely... that 1.4T COD is one grunty donk.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2010 Charger AWD & 2003 Dakota

I'm glad Buick is getting it stateside to help with it's stodgy image. That said, I think the Audi interiors are cleaner and prettier and I the Cascada seems to lack a bit of the wow factor.
    Hidden Content
    1954 Oldsmobile Rocket F-88.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member Toto's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Opel Corsa GSI

I understand your point about the speedo, however the fact that after 25 years of no speeding fines, my wife is down to her last 3 points on her licence suggests she is not holding back when she drives. I have done a GPS check and 100km/h is about 97Km/h - about the same as my Commodore.
    That's right, at low speed it should be no problem at all, but it's different at higher speed. For my Corsa Opel claims a top speed of 210 km/h, GPS show 213 km/h and speedo says 215 km/h. Speedo on friends Audi A3 driving behind me: 235 km/h. VAG magic.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Toto For This Useful Post:

GolfBravo (01-06-2016),isszy (01-05-2016),mikmak (01-05-2016),RedVee8 (01-07-2016)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Toto View Post
    That's right, at low speed it should be no problem at all, but it's different at higher speed. For my Corsa Opel claims a top speed of 210 km/h, GPS show 213 km/h and speedo says 215 km/h. Speedo on friends Audi A3 driving behind me: 235 km/h. VAG magic.
    I'd love to be able to prove I have that problem. Our Nanny state laws would mean that driving at anything like that speed would have our car impounded and possibly crushed, loss of licence for probably 12 months and most likely thousands of dollars in fines.

And having a speedo that indicates a lower speed than actual by any amount is risky, as 2 km/h over the speed limit will attract a $180 fine and 1 demerit point.
    Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member BBDOS CV8's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Holden Monaro (Barbados)

No issue with oil consumption at this stage. I check regularly and after 16,000km does not use a drop. All services will be done on time by Audi so any issues they will have to take responsibility for.

No issue with shifting, but did get a clutch replaced under warranty as it made a noise under light load. My understanding is that the VW and Audi gearboxes are related but not the same. The Audi one has less problems. Audi also warrant the car on 95, although we always use 98.

I understand your point about the speedo, however the fact that after 25 years of no speeding fines, my wife is down to her last 3 points on her licence suggests she is not holding back when she drives. I have done a GPS check and 100km/h is about 97Km/h - about the same as my Commodore.

Our plan is either to turn it over after three years or buy the extended warranty if we decide to keep it longer. We own it outright, so we can decide when we think it fits. I want to keep it in warranty for the roof mechanism as much as anything else. I have a friend who bought a TS Astra with a problem with the roof which cost $4K to fix, so I can only imagine what these fully automatic units would cost. Hence why we always stop before raising or lowering the roof.
    The extended warranty is just an insurance scheme - it's difficult to actually claim on it as as third party is involved. Bear in mind the DSG costs 8 grand and although they're rebuildable dealers don't.

Nup year-year, the drivelines are identical; just checked. The only difference is, they've done away with the Twincharge-style motor of the missus' car - no more 118Kw super/turbocharged motor. It now has a turbo-only (which is why 95 is OK), rated the same Kw as the same year Golf MK VII and equivalent Skoda - both have cylinder deactivation. I think they've also done away with the camchain from the older motor in favour of a cambelt with 90K change interval IIRC from reading the Mark VII release info.

What VAG is doing now, is our DSG was 'sealed for life' - it was allegedly service-free with a synthetic lube. Now VAG is using mineral oils and changing it at 30K intervals. The DSG issues seem to be when the gears and bearing loses flakes of metal, the swarf sticks to the magnetic sensors controlling the shift function. That makes them misbehave.

The missus' car was unpredictable taking off from a standstill with the wheels turned - so if you were turning across traffic, it would sometimes just hesitate a split second which seemed like forever. Othertimes it'd bound off the mark like a gazelle at a touch of throttle, alarming in the wet even with the eLSD. It took all her confidence away. It would growl and bang going around tight corners at low speeds, or just lug the motor like you're pulling 5th at 20km/h and hunt around looking for a gear with engine revs going up and down. Give me the 8 HP in the BMW anytime. It's restored her confidence as it's immediate response and so smooth you don't know what gear you're in. It holds gears in corners, seems to read your mind when you want it to hang onto a gear between corners and holds speed going downhill by downshifting so you don't drift up over the speed limit.

The BMW has had two issues in three years: 1 small vacuum hose at the back of the engine perished (known issue, replaced with upgraded part at second service) and last week, the engine threw a check light. Dealer had the car overnight, it turned out a solenoid part of the emissions system was faulty. At first changing it didn't solve the issue alone and they were talking pulling the turbo off, but a ECU reset has. The car didn't stop, but required engine stop and start to clear the checklight a couple of minutes into a drive probably when the thermostat opened. The dealer always gives a replacement car if they have the car for more than a day. We had one booked last week, but the solenoid issue was resolved next day.

Even the charges - as she owns the car which is atypical, they offered her a fleet 3-year service deal for $900 upfront and it covers major and minor service items. That's cheaper per service than her Astra and 60% of the price of the Golf and although the car has a service indicator with OCM it's not needed servicing inside 1 year/15,000km so far. It uses a modicum of oil - after a month, it takes half a cup to top mark on the stick. It's 5/30 and any decent modern synth is fine to use.

It uses 8l/100km in her gridlock Port Melbourne commute, but it's also a 1.6 turbo with 130-odd Kw and would blitz the Golf 118. Put the trans in sport mode, SOTP, it feels like your SV6 would be fair game..... It's got 7.5/8" x 18" wheels and grippy tyres, plenty grip and RWD and BMW tunes it to let it hang the tail out a bit. It's a bullet and great fun to drive. It's probably as quick even with less power than the OPC Astra, because it gets all it's power down and 50:50 weight means it handles even sharper.

Apart from the steering wheel which for some reason has gone all faded/blotchy on the leather (could be nail varnish?), at three years the car is spotless and still looks new with a cursory wash. The VW was showing little stone chips all over the car, with white undercoat showing.
    Last edited by BBDOS CV8; 01-06-2016 at 06:00 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Holden S2 LX Captiva diesel

That does look much better. The snub tail golf and older Audi look like little boxes on wheels.
    WRT fuel economy the Cascada is in the 7-8 l/100km range but a little thirstier around town. As with everything it depends on how you drive it. I am getting reasonably adept at driving economically.
    On the handling front, it takes a little extra to balance but there's definitely fun to be had with the Cascada. I've read a few reviews and heard a few people saying there isn't enough power in the 1.6 but I think a 2.0 turbo would over power the front end and make it a little clumsy. As it is, it is on the soft side but perfect for weekend hills and sweeping roads, though not so convincing on fast changes in direction.
    In the video I was actually matching speed with a local farmer in a VS ute who was giving it everything. The Cascada just charged along without getting too crazy.
    The biggest let down for me when I had it to review was the out dated instrument panel and how the mylink is fiddly without the touch screen, alot of people i took for a drive freaked at the amount of buttons. But all of them did comment on how smooth it rode, I averaged 11L/100km for my commute for week and saw 6's on the freeway.
    I did have a ball driving it around just thought it was let down on by the dash and mylink big reason why I wouldn't buy one.
    Look out im on twitter @kts350
    3 on the Tree Hidden Content size="4">http://kts350.wix.com/3onthetree

Thanks
    My Ride
    1993 Holden Calais VPII

Quote Originally Posted by kts350 View Post
    The biggest let down for me when I had it to review was the out dated instrument panel and how the mylink is fiddly without the touch screen, alot of people i took for a drive freaked at the amount of buttons. But all of them did comment on how smooth it rode, I averaged 11L/100km for my commute for week and saw 6's on the freeway.
    I did have a ball driving it around just thought it was let down on by the dash and mylink big reason why I wouldn't buy one.
    I thought the same thing initially, but the placement of the screen is too far away to reach the screen anyway. I also found that using the dial to input addresses worked quite well and required less attention because you scrolled with a wheel. That works better (with familiarity) than balancing your hand to poke a small icon on a screen. Not quite as efficient for the larger tasks though.

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    Holden S2 LX Captiva diesel

I thought the same thing initially, but the placement of the screen is too far away to reach the screen anyway. I also found that using the dial to input addresses worked quite well and required less attention because you scrolled with a wheel. That works better (with familiarity) than balancing your hand to poke a small icon on a screen. Not quite as efficient for the larger tasks though.
    For stuff like using pandora it was ok, but using the st nav and another things requiring more input I basically got pissed off with it and didn't use them at all.
    Look out im on twitter @kts350
    3 on the Tree Hidden Content size="4">http://kts350.wix.com/3onthetree

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

I'd love to be able to prove I have that problem. Our Nanny state laws would mean that driving at anything like that speed would have our car impounded and possibly crushed, loss of licence for probably 12 months and most likely thousands of dollars in fines.

And having a speedo that indicates a lower speed than actual by any amount is risky, as 2 km/h over the speed limit will attract a $180 fine and 1 demerit point.
    A speedo is allowed by law to indicate a higher speed than you going by a specified margin depending on the type of vehicle (ie mopeds have a different one to cars). It is illegal to have a speedo that reads lower than you are going and the speedo should be a warranty replacement.
    From the ADR18/03
    INSTRUMENTATION ADR 18/03
    As at Det No. 2 of 2004 Page 15 of 15
    ADR 18/03
    Annex 3
    TEST OF SPEEDOMETER ACCURACY
    FOR CONFORMITY OF PRODUCTION
    1. Test conditions
    The test conditions shall be as set out in
    paragraphs 5.2.1. to 5.2.6. of this Regulation.
    2. Requirements
    The production shall be deemed to conform to this Regulation if the following
    relationship between the speed indicated on the display of the speedometer (V1) and the
    actual speed (V2) is observed:
    In the case of vehicles of categories M and N:
    0 ≤ (V1 – V2)≤ 0.1 V2 + 6 km/h;

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chinamonty For This Useful Post:

isszy (01-06-2016),mikmak (01-06-2016)

Thanks
    My Ride
    1993 Holden Calais VPII

So by VAG providing glaring false speed indications, they are actually saving you money in fines AND reducing traffic accidents (because we all know that speed kills). How INNOVATIVE

Hidden Content

20. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information