GMI Drives: Holden Cascada 1.6 Turbo

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GMI Drives: Holden Cascada 1.6 Turbo

GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Piece of **** Subie Liberty

GMI Drives: Holden Cascada 1.6 Turbo

The Topless Lion

Mick McWilliams
    GMInsidenews.com
    Australia Correspondent

05 January 2016

Daily grind getting you down? Get your top off!
    If you're new to the whole topless shebang, here's the Holden Cascada ready and willing to help you along your way.

A 1.6 turbo package with a healthy dose of style and comfort, the Cascada is GMs truly global convertible. It even comes in Left AND Right Hand drive.....

We dig it:
    One of the best styled mid size convertibles
    Quick and easy roof action
    Great seats
    Rorty little turbo
    42k starting price

Needs Work:
    Multitude of buttons required to operate the non-touch screen
    Manual adjustment on seats (for this spec)
    Rear blindspot is segment typical but still annoying

More pics on Instagram: #TOPLESSLION
    Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

Hidden Content

Follow me on Hidden Content
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! Hidden Content

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mikmak For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (01-04-2016),isszy (01-04-2016),kmacleod (01-05-2016),Toto (01-04-2016),Ute (01-04-2016)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

Re: GMI Drives: Holden Cascada 1.6 Turbo

But no matter how good a vehicle it is it only comes in boring colours! There is not a bright colour available or even a red!
    Summit White is a no cost option! The other colours - Nitrate Silver, Deep Sky Blue, Phantom grey and Carbon Flash Black are all "available at extra cost".
    I hope they sell but really is this encouraging people to buy a supposedly 'fun car'.

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

You do not need to stop to take down and fold up the roof...

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride

That's true but it's the safest way.... particularly if it is a loner, and I'm not going to advise on how fast you can do it! Read the manual and make your best judgement.

Also, I can open and close it in an underground car park, but I'm not telling you which one.

Hidden Content

Thanks

Fortunately there are much more attractive wheel options here.

Pretty good I suppose, but I'd SO spring for a new Camaro convertible instead.

Thanks
    My Ride
    VF SV6, GC8 WRX, Audi A3 Cab

Nice review Mick.

Having recently bought the competition, it was interesting to hear your views. Due to the fact that Holden did not seem interested in selling me one in June (the first ones had just arrived), the Cascada was never really an option for us.

A few counterpoints:

Having lived with a MY15 A3 convertible for 6 months now, I find the look of the Cascada bloated and a bit boat like in comparison. If you are having trouble picking the Golf from the A3, you are most likely looking at a MY13 A3 or earlier - the later models have a significantly longer boot.

I also find the interior of the Cascada more fussy - too many knobs. I like the Audi better. Having said that I prefer my Commodore over both of them.

You motivated me to check the roof time on the Audi - 22 seconds both down and up - so the Cascada wins there.

It sounds like the Cascada has a more grunty note than the Audi and more sporty response and handling. The A3 drives like a Camry around town, but does not get a lot more exciting when pushed. Mind you, I'm comparing it to an SV6, a WRX and a Lancer Ralliart so it does not have the sporty pretense they all have

You didn't mention fuel economy, but the Audi does pretty well here. Even when driven by my notoriously lead footed wife, the 1.4L TFSI petrol still gets 6.5l/100km around town.

There are a few things Audi do better than Holden to encourage customer loyalty - like a personally handwritten Christmas card from the saleswoman who sold her the car, and a quarterly glossy magazine mailed to your home. They are playing catchup in the servicing area though - the dealer we bought it from has realised the value of fixed price servicing but Audi as a whole have no fixed services.
    Hidden Content
    2014 VF Holden Commodore SV6 sedan
    Manual, sunroof, satnav, 1600kg tow bar, side track stripes, sports armour, 19" SSV wheels
    2015 Audi A3 Attraction Cabriolet
    Black/black, Auto, Technik pack
    1998 Subaru Impreza WRX sedan
    Manual, upgraded turbo & APS intercooler, 3" exhaust, slotted rotors, 18" wheels, tow bar, Koni shocks, APS ECU upgrade
    2012 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
    Grey/Black leather, satnav, camera, SST Auto AWD 2.0L Turbo

10. The Following User Says Thank You to isszy For This Useful Post:

mikmak (01-04-2016)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by yamahr1 View Post
    Fortunately there are much more attractive wheel options here.

For comparison, the Mustang 2.3 I4 vert in Oz is 55k. A 5.0 is 67k so there is a significant cost difference there. They are very much in a different segment as would the Camaro be if it was made in RHD.

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Thuthmosis View Post
    You do not need to stop to take down and fold up the roof...
    In the interests of longevity, we try to only raise or lower the roof when stopped.
    Hidden Content
    Manual, sunroof, satnav, 1600kg tow bar, side track stripes, sports armour, 19" SSV wheels
    Manual, upgraded turbo & APS intercooler, 3" exhaust, slotted rotors, 18" wheels, tow bar, Koni shocks, APS ECU upgrade

13. The Following User Says Thank You to isszy For This Useful Post:

mikmak (01-04-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,055 Times in 1,673 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

Quote Originally Posted by yamahr1 View Post
    No one tries to drive a Camaro year round out here in Podunk.
    The weather's actually been pretty good but all the pony cars have disappeared.
    Last edited by eaton53; 01-05-2016 at 05:21 AM.
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by isszy View Post
    Nice review Mick.

Having recently bought the competition, it was interesting to hear your views. Due to the fact that Holden did not seem interested in selling me one in June (the first ones had just arrived), the Cascada was never really an option for us.

A few counterpoints:

Having lived with a MY15 A3 convertible for 6 months now, I find the look of the Cascada bloated and a bit boat like in comparison. If you are having trouble picking the Golf from the A3, you are most likely looking at a MY13 A3 or earlier - the later models have a significantly longer boot.

I also find the interior of the Cascada more fussy - too many knobs. I like the Audi better. Having said that I prefer my Commodore over both of them.

You motivated me to check the roof time on the Audi - 22 seconds both down and up - so the Cascada wins there.

It sounds like the Cascada has a more grunty note than the Audi and more sporty response and handling. The A3 drives like a Camry around town, but does not get a lot more exciting when pushed. Mind you, I'm comparing it to an SV6, a WRX and a Lancer Ralliart so it does not have the sporty pretense they all have

You didn't mention fuel economy, but the Audi does pretty well here. Even when driven by my notoriously lead footed wife, the 1.4L TFSI petrol still gets 6.5l/100km around town.

There are a few things Audi do better than Holden to encourage customer loyalty - like a personally handwritten Christmas card from the saleswoman who sold her the car, and a quarterly glossy magazine mailed to your home. They are playing catchup in the servicing area though - the dealer we bought it from has realised the value of fixed price servicing but Audi as a whole have no fixed services.
    That does look much better. The snub tail golf and older Audi look like little boxes on wheels.

WRT fuel economy the Cascada is in the 7-8 l/100km range but a little thirstier around town. As with everything it depends on how you drive it. I am getting reasonably adept at driving economically.

On the handling front, it takes a little extra to balance but there's definitely fun to be had with the Cascada. I've read a few reviews and heard a few people saying there isn't enough power in the 1.6 but I think a 2.0 turbo would over power the front end and make it a little clumsy. As it is, it is on the soft side but perfect for weekend hills and sweeping roads, though not so convincing on fast changes in direction.

In the video I was actually matching speed with a local farmer in a VS ute who was giving it everything. The Cascada just charged along without getting too crazy.

Hidden Content

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mikmak For This Useful Post:

isszy (01-04-2016)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by mikmak View Post
    For comparison, the Mustang 2.3 I4 vert in Oz is 55k. A 5.0 is 67k so there is a significant cost difference there. They are very much in a different segment as would the Camaro be if it was made in RHD.
    The market that the Cascada is trying to sell into is dominated by the Audi A3 and BMW 1/2 series. These are a good $10K more expensive. The Mini and Renault Megane are about $7K cheaper, and the VW is about the same price.

We bought a demo A3 for around the same price as a new Cascada.
    Hidden Content

18. The Following User Says Thank You to isszy For This Useful Post:

mikmak (01-04-2016)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member BBDOS CV8's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Holden Monaro (Barbados)

Quote Originally Posted by isszy View Post
    Nice review Mick.

A few counterpoints:

Errrgghhh! Not the 1.4/DSG combo? Does the engine use oil? Does the gearbox display any inclination not to shift cleanly? if so, I'd strongly advise not keeping it past warranty. Cheap A3s abound secondhand as do Golfs for a good reason. I hope you're running the 504/507 oil and 98 octane, if it develops any fault they'll can the warranty otherwise. Before they did warranty and rebuilt the Missus' Mark VI Golf (third new piston part number, fourth new DI part number in only five years on the market for this motor) they analysed oil and fuel samples and presumably read the ECU to make sure we'd used the kosher stuff - it took eight days to get VW Oz to agree to rebuild the motor. The service manager said 'we've done a few of these......' My missus had been complaining of a noise I presumed was the DSG swapping between gears accelerating in a 45km/h corner the car was taking in about 4th - I wasn't with her until after it was rebuilt - it was pinging it's head off! In very mild conditions! No wonder it melted a piston! Every service, VW had reflashed the ECU.

As the Audi I think has a few more herbs it'd be wise to keep tabs on it. The missus' car was taking a full cup of oil every tankfill @ ~ 800km; 'within spec'. In fact, 750ml per 1000km is 'within spec'. If I had a Holden six doing that'd I'd presume it needed rings and bearings!

It also isn't as economical as you think: we've followed many Audis and Golfs, Tiguans and Polos tenaciously clinging to the middle lane on highways at 93km/h, which is exactly what the missus' car used to do at an indicated 100 (verified on GPS). At indicated 110, we were doing 104 and being tailgated by grannies in Corollas. Again, 'within spec, no can fix' according to the dealer. When you actually drive at the speed limit, the car isn't quite so economical. A real 110 chewed fuel on a trip in good conditions driving NSW-Vic in the 7-8l/100km range, whick looks bad against a simple Cruze 1.4 manual in the 5-6 range at the same speeds. Heavier car, less sophisticated motor running cat's piss ULP. When you add significant quantities of expensive $20 a litre oil to 98 RON costs, the economy becomes a bit less awesome.

When we got the car back at 53,000km with rebuilt motor (exploded 1 month inside warranty, it took 3.5 weeks to get it back......), the gearbox started to misbehave shifting in a straight line. Fortunately we had the Bimmer on the way, and the car was gone within weeks. It took the BMW dealer months to move it. Shortly after we traded it and while overseas, the whole VW DSG/limp-home/death in the Burnley thing happened and secondhand values fell like a stone. We got stitched on the trade by $1-2K but the new car arrived the week we went to Chicago and we didn't want to come home to sell to tyrekickers, the dealer copped kharma for it.

One of my bandmates had a leased Polo diesel that kept going into limp-home mode, often when he was turning in front of oncoming traffic. Went back to dealers six-seven times couldn't fix. He spent a lot of time at 40km/h. The lease company took it back off him, and got their money back off VW.
    Last edited by BBDOS CV8; 01-04-2016 at 08:23 PM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Ambalanche's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 600 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Sonoma Red GMC Sierra SLT

That car needs a redesign yesterday!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Ambalanche For This Useful Post:

ultimate_ed (01-05-2016)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by BBDOS CV8 View Post
    Errrgghhh! Not the 1.4/DSG combo? Does the engine use oil? Does the gearbox display any inclination not to shift cleanly? if so, I'd strongly advise not keeping it past warranty. Cheap A3s abound secondhand as do Golfs for a good reason. I hope you're running the 504/507 oil and 98 octane, if it develops any fault they'll can the warranty otherwise. Before they did warranty and rebuilt the Missus' Mark VI Golf (third new piston part number, fourth new DI part number in only five years on the market for this motor) they analysed oil and fuel samples and presumably read the ECU to make sure we'd used the kosher stuff - it took eight days to get VW Oz to agree to rebuild the motor. The service manager said 'we've done a few of these......' My missus had been complaining of a noise I presumed was the DSG swapping between gears accelerating in a 45km/h corner the car was taking in about 4th - I wasn't with her until after it was rebuilt - it was pinging it's head off! In very mild conditions! No wonder it melted a piston! Every service, VW had reflashed the ECU.

As the Audi I think has a few more herbs it'd be wise to keep tabs on it. The missus' car was taking a full cup of oil every tankfill @ ~ 800km; 'within spec'. In fact, 750ml per 1000km is 'within spec'. If I had a Holden six doing that'd I'd presume it needed rings and bearings!

It also isn't as economical as you think: we've followed many Audis and Golfs, Tiguans and Polos tenaciously clinging to the middle lane on highways at 93km/h, which is exactly what the missus' car used to do at an indicated 100 (verified on GPS). At indicated 110, we were doing 104 and being tailgated by grannies in Corollas. Again, 'within spec, no can fix' according to the dealer. When you actually drive at the speed limit, the car isn't quite so economical. A real 110 chewed fuel on a trip in good conditions driving NSW-Vic in the 7-8l/100km range, whick looks bad against a simple Cruze 1.4 manual in the 5-6 range at the same speeds. Heavier car, less sophisticated motor running cat's piss ULP. When you add significant quantities of expensive $20 a litre oil to 98 RON costs, the economy becomes a bit less awesome.

When we got the car back at 53,000km with rebuilt motor (exploded 1 month inside warranty, it took 3.5 weeks to get it back......), the gearbox started to misbehave shifting in a straight line. Fortunately we had the Bimmer on the way, and the car was gone within weeks. It took the BMW dealer months to move it. Shortly after we traded it, the whole VW gearbox/death in the Burnley thing happened and secondhand values fell like a stone. We got stitched on the trade by $1-2K but the new car arrived the week we went to Chicago and we didn't want to come home to sell to tyrekickers, the dealer copped kharma for it.
    No issue with oil consumption at this stage. I check regularly and after 16,000km does not use a drop. All services will be done on time by Audi so any issues they will have to take responsibility for.

No issue with shifting, but did get a clutch replaced under warranty as it made a noise under light load. My understanding is that the VW and Audi gearboxes are related but not the same. The Audi one has less problems. Audi also warrant the car on 95, although we always use 98.

I understand your point about the speedo, however the fact that after 25 years of no speeding fines, my wife is down to her last 3 points on her licence suggests she is not holding back when she drives. I have done a GPS check and 100km/h is about 97Km/h - about the same as my Commodore.

Our plan is either to turn it over after three years or buy the extended warranty if we decide to keep it longer. We own it outright, so we can decide when we think it fits. I want to keep it in warranty for the roof mechanism as much as anything else. I have a friend who bought a TS Astra with a problem with the roof which cost $4K to fix, so I can only imagine what these fully automatic units would cost. Hence why we always stop before raising or lowering the roof.
    Last edited by isszy; 01-04-2016 at 09:00 PM.
    Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride

IIRC it was the breakaway blocks on the TS which casued the most head aches. Essentially it was an engineered hunk of plastic that was supposed to give if the lid hooks didn't release from the windscreen frame during a retraction. They were a couple of grand for a pair. Some guy in oz made his own business out of being a local source.

A co-worker of mine had the same issue and paid someone to fabricate a replacement which cost less than ordering the part in from the UK.

Hidden Content

24. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information