GMI Drives: Acadia vs Kluger vs Pathfinder - V6 Battleships - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GMI Drives: Acadia vs Kluger vs Pathfinder - V6 Battleships

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    15 ATS Performance AWD

Re: GMI Drives: Acadia vs Kluger vs Pathfinder - V6 Battleships

Quote Originally Posted by VS Ute 5Litre View Post
    Thousands of Toyota customers with 20 plus year old Landcruisers really cant be wrong as far as longevity and things still working

Customers don't want bargain basement interior quality they want it to look nice and be functional

Looking at the interior of Equinox and Acadia in particular they are functional but they look very very plain
    Yes but that is in Australia. With respect, Australians are a boring lot so Holden only bothers with black interiors (based on my prior searches of the Holden website, I'm not sure if the situation has changed). Having sat in a 2020 GMC Acadia last week (appointed in high quality cream leather- I think this was the option: https://www.gmc.com/suvs/acadia/denali/interior), I was surprised at how nice it was. I certainly didn't think it was plain. And no, I'm not American and yes I was compared it to a Japan made SUV (4Runner) which costs about as much as Acadia (if my memory serves). Of course I didn't find the interior plastics to be demonstrably inferior to the competition either (compared to some other GM offerings) so maybe I've become "domesticated".

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,299 Times in 1,443 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

Quote Originally Posted by CadillacSA View Post
    Yes but that is in Australia. With respect, Australians are a boring lot so Holden only bothers with black interiors (based on my prior searches of the Holden website, I'm not sure if the situation has changed). Having sat in a 2020 GMC Acadia last week (appointed in high quality cream leather- I think this was the option: https://www.gmc.com/suvs/acadia/denali/interior), I was surprised at how nice it was. I certainly didn't think it was plain. And no, I'm not American and yes I was compared it to a Japan made SUV (4Runner) which costs about as much as Acadia (if my memory serves). Of course I didn't find the interior plastics to be demonstrably inferior to the competition either (compared to some other GM offerings) so maybe I've become "domesticated".
    Maybe it gets better materials in the U.S?

GM has a habit of using materials that look cheap and being tight arses when it comes to RHD vehicles

Offering boring colours is a cost cutting measure not a market driven exercise
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Piece of **** Subie Liberty
    Quote Originally Posted by HockEYE View Post
    And yet another so-called “auto journalist" giving a review and carelessly tossing “ADAS (Advanced Driver Assist Systems)” into the same nondescript basket.

As the general public (very) S L O W L Y becomes aware, this so-called ADAS stuff really has 2 parts, some technology to assist in seeing and being warned of potential safety issues, and some more advanced tech that attempts to automate some of the actual driving of the vehicle (Steering, Acceleration, and Braking), (Adaptive Cruise with Lane Centering).

For the segment of drivers like myself, that would love to have the technology of Tesla’s Autopilot, (but don't want to deal with the inconvenient of EV’s), we’d like these reviewers to actually test these “Level 2 Automated Driving Systems” and report in detail which is the best.

It is virtually impossible to tell (in this review) which of these 3 vehicles does “Level 2” the best? Currently I’m in the market for a new SUV and “Level 2” performance will be a large decision factor for me. My guess is the Nissan (ProPilot) is closest to Tesla’s, the Toyota next, and as far as I can tell, no GM vehicles other than Cadillac (at great extra cost), have any Level 2 capability.

But (Luckily for GM), one would never know this from this review!
    I'm not an auto generalist [sic] I'm an Integrated Logistics Support Analyst with an avionics background and 25 years experience troubleshooting the design and implementation of technical systems. That includes assessing end user engagement, human machine interface and system performance. That includes Air Land Sea sub surface, fixed plant, semi autonomous and network enabled platforms.
    Level 2 ADAS systems are not advanced enough to warrant grading between the three shown here. They're all OK but I wouldn't bet my life on any of them. If one was a stand out I would have mentioned it.

If you can't afford A Tesla (which I wouldn't bet my life on either) buy a Volvo. They have superior pilot assist capability and the best lane centering performance. Go on youtube and search "two crashes high " and "Loflyt" if you want to see it in action.

Thanks for starting your critique with an insult, rather than a question. It was really nice meeting you.
    Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

Hidden Content

Follow me on Hidden Content
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! Hidden Content

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mikmak For This Useful Post:

chinamonty (11-26-2019),richmond2000 (11-27-2019),Self Reliance (11-25-2019),V-Car (11-27-2019),VS Ute 5Litre (11-25-2019),XP300 (11-25-2019)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by wallus13 View Post

You do realize the writer of this is not a professional right? I think he does an awesome job and appreciate these reviews.
    Thanks. I appreciate the opportunity to share my thoughts.

Hidden Content

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mikmak For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (11-27-2019),Self Reliance (11-25-2019),wallus13 (11-26-2019),XP300 (11-25-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by CadillacSA View Post

The stand out is probably the plastic surround for the touch screen. It is the same soft flimsy material that was on the (old) Malibu. The vents felt like they'd fall out of the roof and we only have the grey plastic, same as the Equinox which fell very down rate. It may just be the colour... (it's not). Even the luggage screen felt cheap, and was already stretched. Compared to the luggage screen in my Commodore wagon, you could feel the difference in quality just holding it, let alone extending and engaging it. Again, it may be just what we are used to, but I can only comment from the point of reference that we have.

Hidden Content

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mikmak For This Useful Post:

VS Ute 5Litre (11-25-2019)

Thanks

Thanks mikmak,

My 2013 Acadia Denali has been the perfect vehicle for our move from the Chicago burbs to Florida. In addition, my wife usually volunteers me to drive friends, relatives and whoever she can find, to and from the Orlando area airports. The Acadia is up to 73,000 miles and has been almost trouble free. Buying the extended warranty was the right thing to do for the few times something needed fixing after the GM warranty.

Now, I'm ready for the 2020 model. They are bringing back my favorite feature, the HUD. In my 2013, I never look down at the speedo.
    -
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and the government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution, so the second will not become the legalized version of the first - Thomas Jefferson
    -

Thanks
    My Ride
    I'm glad to hear you are enjoying yours. I just really wanted this new one to hit the mark. It's possibly a little unfair that I keep comparing Acadia against the ZB Commodore /Regal, but for me if the former has the same material quality and manners of the latter, it would be much better received in this market.

Hidden Content

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mikmak For This Useful Post:

chinamonty (11-26-2019)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Mr.Buttons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 586 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NHRATA01 View Post
    The Lambdas are not what you want to use as an example when trying to make an argument of durability in GM's favor.
    How about the Omega Moons?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,844 Times in 1,313 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    Come after 5 years, whose interior will hold out better after family use, and whose technology features will still work.

Interior packaging is what matters most in an SUV, not the fake leather.
    not to be a "pain" BUT WHAT GM SUVS are you looking at ???

GMT800 2001 - 2006 paint peeling off off dash pad
    GMT900 2006 - 2014 dash cracking / falling apart around the PASS airbag the paint on the controls rubbing off leaving nothing but white smudge to denote what the buttons do
    K2 series 2015 - now vibration and squeak that are not repairable by the dealer

GM might "know SUVS" BUT the interiors are NOT a league of their own or even up with some of the competition

from the review I would say the NISSAN is the "best family bus" with the acadia trying to be a sedan while being a bus

and I would say the ADAS as long as it is included and works as well as the rest it is a "win"

PS the Toyota is the KLUGER in Japan and as far as I know every market outside the USA/Canada

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,278 Times in 3,507 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000 View Post
    not to be a "pain" BUT WHAT GM SUVS are you looking at ???

GMT800 2001 - 2006 paint peeling off off dash pad
    GMT900 2006 - 2014 dash cracking / falling apart around the PASS airbag the paint on the controls rubbing off leaving nothing but white smudge to denote what the buttons do
    K2 series 2015 - now vibration and squeak that are not repairable by the dealer

GM might "know SUVS" BUT the interiors are NOT a league of their own or even up with some of the competition

from the review I would say the NISSAN is the "best family bus" with the acadia trying to be a sedan while being a bus

and I would say the ADAS as long as it is included and works as well as the rest it is a "win"

PS the Toyota is the KLUGER in Japan and as far as I know every market outside the USA/Canada
    I bet you a vehicle will hold up as well as an owner will take care of it. Toyotas have rust issues. My take on a vehicle is how well it holds up after Warranty. After the warranty is over, its the owners job to maintain it. Usually warranties will last well past payoff date depending on how one financed the vehicle.

I see lots of less than year old Toyotas with fading paint here in So Cal, heck I used to own one and it faded.. its also a factor of where the vehicle is mostly parked.

Bottom line, take good care of your cars, My Chevrolets have always been dealer serviced, I will not hesitate to replace an interior piece trim that a kid broke or repaint the vehicle at Chevrolet when wife scratches it.

Reasonable use of machines means they will require maintenance.

My Corolla was dealer maintained, a 2002, conked out in 2006 with an engine that had built in slug in the motor. Why I have no idea. It was my sixth Toyota, why that motor went bad, who knows.. But the interior trim pieces of that car were horrible, they would peal like crazy, had the door panels replaced twice in that car and the roof cloth pealing off..

Anyways..

If Toyota is your religion, so be it, I have since moved on.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

91fairladyZ (11-28-2019),richmond2000 (11-28-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride

I have updated the review. Downandout pointed out that I didn't mention the economy of the Acadia which, on the highway, is pretty impressive. For reference, the Nissan sits in between Kluger and Acadia when it comes to economy.

Additionally, I clarified my view on the ADAS Level 2 systems for HockEYED.

Don't forget folks, this is a forum so if you want to know more, just ask me.

Hidden Content

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikmak For This Useful Post:

mbukukanyau (11-28-2019),richmond2000 (11-28-2019)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,299 Times in 1,443 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

I have a legit question

How much of an issue was the LHD biased seating arrangement in the Acadia?

Sliding the bigger part of the seat to get into the 3rd row
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    I have a legit question

How much of an issue was the LHD biased seating arrangement in the Acadia?

Sliding the bigger part of the seat to get into the 3rd row
    No worse than it was in the Pathfinder....

Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,844 Times in 1,313 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    I bet you a vehicle will hold up as well as an owner will take care of it. Toyotas have rust issues. My take on a vehicle is how well it holds up after Warranty. After the warranty is over, its the owners job to maintain it. Usually warranties will last well past payoff date depending on how one financed the vehicle.

I see lots of less than year old Toyotas with fading paint here in So Cal, heck I used to own one and it faded.. its also a factor of where the vehicle is mostly parked.

Bottom line, take good care of your cars, My Chevrolets have always been dealer serviced, I will not hesitate to replace an interior piece trim that a kid broke or repaint the vehicle at Chevrolet when wife scratches it.

Reasonable use of machines means they will require maintenance.

My Corolla was dealer maintained, a 2002, conked out in 2006 with an engine that had built in slug in the motor. Why I have no idea. It was my sixth Toyota, why that motor went bad, who knows.. But the interior trim pieces of that car were horrible, they would peal like crazy, had the door panels replaced twice in that car and the roof cloth pealing off..

Anyways..

If Toyota is your religion, so be it, I have since moved on.
    I agree for the MOST part a GM RWD SUV will be on the road when the cockroaches inherit the earth

up here in the "true north" NISSANS have a 10 year tops shelf life toyotas 15/20 MAX ford/GM sedans are like cockroaches and survive even if rust has taken 1/2 the body
    if you see a car from the 90's it is ALMOST 100% FORD OR GM - RESTORED / a TEXAN

I will give you that the first gen tundra / sequia HAD WORSE interiors for aging then almost anything I have seen / the GMT 900s are a close second

23. The Following User Says Thank You to richmond2000 For This Useful Post:

mbukukanyau (11-28-2019)

Banned
    Thanks

Thousands of Toyota customers with 20 plus year old Landcruisers really cant be wrong as far as longevity and things still working

Customers don't want bargain basement interior quality they want it to look nice and be functional

Looking at the interior of Equinox and Acadia in particular they are functional but they look very very plain
    I've been in 20-year old LandCruisers and you are right. They are built like castles. There's a reason they quickly displaced every other off-roader in the third world.

I'd buy a LandCruiser pickup over any pickup. They last forever, they are capable off-roaders not posers, and just look at how good they look.

25. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information