GMI Drives: 2016 Cadillac CTS Luxury Collection 2.0T AWD - Page 5

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: GMI Drives: 2016 Cadillac CTS Luxury Collection 2.0T AWD

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    CTS Coupe 2012

Re: GMI Drives: 2016 Cadillac CTS Luxury Collection 2.0T AWD

Well I can say is, I love my CTS 2012 Coupe. It has 40,000 miles and no rattles or anything wrong with this car. Fit and finish are great. People still stop and look at it when walking by. The only thing I don't like is the front hood molding, it is too cheaply made of chrome plastic. It always gets chipped, that the only thing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,178 Times in 907 Posts
    My Ride
    CityBus Lafayette; Trek 7200

Quote Originally Posted by Envoy4Life View Post
    My particular CTS had General Motors’s ubiquitous two liter turbo four cylinder, packing 268 horsepower peaking at 5,600 RPM, and 295 pound-feet of torque, available from 3,000 to 4,500 RPM. The turbo four is paired to a new-for-2016 eight speed automatic transmission with stop-start technology. The powertrain is smooth, offers great power, and has virtually zero turbo lag. The engine sounds pleasant, does not buzz, and is a smooth operator. Mated to the 2.0T in the 2016 CTS is General Motor's Hydramatic 8 speed transmission, a new addition to the CTS for 2016. Shifts are smooth, quick, and precise, and it puts the engine in a proper spot to deliver power if the situation demands for it to do so. When in Touring mode, the transmission is somewhat eager to upshift in the name of fuel economy, but when in Sport mode, it holds revs for a bit longer, and downshifts with less hesitation than in Touring mode. The 2.0T/A8 powertrain combination rockets the CTS to sixty miles per hour in about six and a half seconds, and does so in a drama-free way. This is the best application of the 2.0T in my opinion, and it really suits the CTS well. The 2.0T/A8 combination with All Wheel Drive is rated by the EPA to deliver 21 miles per gallon in the city, and 29 miles per gallon on the highway.
    Good to hear - literally and figuratively - that GM has refined the LTG engine's character, at least in the '16 CTS. The engine note in your CTS acceleration video sounds notably more pleasant than what I remember on my brother's former '13 ATS 2.0T, which exhibited some harshness from idle to redline.

This bodes well for the LTG equipped '16 Camaro.
    Last edited by roy219; 01-08-2016 at 11:01 PM.
    My modes of transportation: CityBus Greater Lafayette, rental cars (usually GM), bicycling, and walking.
    "For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them." -Romans 1:18-19 (NKJV)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roy219 For This Useful Post:

Envoy4Life (01-09-2016),mgescuro (01-09-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,036 Times in 2,101 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

Quote Originally Posted by longislander View Post
    My point was, on my list of the 10 most important factors in deciding which car to buy, the stitches on the seams of the leather-wrapped steering wheel would be number 11.
    The crooked stitching and gaps, for me, fall under "attention to detail."
    On a list of top 10 important factors in buying a luxury car/product, would fall at #1 or 2.

At this point in time, nearly all cars have "hand-stitched" interiors of some sort. In my eyes, they are held to the same standard. I wouldn't accept it from Lexus or BMW or Jaguar. I won't accept it from Cadillac.
    The difference is, there's less of a chance finding it in a Lexus or BMW or Jaguar. But you seem to find it more often at Cadillac.
    And that should never be the case, especially if Cadillac has aspirations of limbing the luxury ladder.

That is the point being made.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mgescuro For This Useful Post:

Envoy4Life (01-09-2016),roy219 (01-09-2016)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 2,036 Times in 2,101 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

It's not okay for a Mercedes-Benz to rattle. At all.

But the issue is, Cadillac has to be as good, preferably even better than its established rivals because it wants to be seen as equal. Putting out products with shoddy quality is a big no-no if you're Cadillac. Mercedes-Benz cars are very well built, and Mercedes-Benz is arguably the king of luxury. Cadillac is currently an aspiring brand that's trying to be seen as a contender to the established marquees. Why would a buyer purchase a Cadillac car that lacks the cachet and prestige of established marquees and take poor quality with it?

That's the problem with issues like this. It CAN NOT happen on a modern Cadillac.
    Bingo.
    At 19 miles, both the Cadillac and Mercedes should not have a squeak or rattle. Period. End of discussion.
    These days, even at 50,000 you shouldn't head a rattle or squeak from with car.
    At 100,000 (5 years), you still won't hear it from a Mercedes, but the chances of hearing grows. Can you say the same for a Cadillac?
    This is where Reputation starts kicking in. You'll start to heart the squeaks and rattles in BMW's around this time. Not so much with Mercedes. My 1995 C-Class started squeaking at the 18 year mark with a loose plastic part on the gate shifter, which was easily repositioned back. I can still go over a speed bump with the sunroof open, and not hear a squeak from the over all body. That to me is impressive, especially as sunroofs are notoriously squeaky and flex a bit in most cars.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mgescuro For This Useful Post:

CJH (01-10-2016),Envoy4Life (01-09-2016),member12 (02-16-2017)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,019 Times in 2,323 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

I still dont understand the misgivings with CUE. I've used it about ten times now and even my olderly in laws have got it down in their SRX. I had to help them pair their phones because the iPhone wasnt finding the car but that is the only issue they've had.

No pictures or videos of the bugs that showed up?

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,430 Times in 3,127 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Equinox V6| 2013 Traverse

Envoy4Life , thanks for a very detailed and balanced review.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

Envoy4Life (01-09-2016)

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,494 Times in 3,758 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Cadillac CTS Performance

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    I still dont understand the misgivings with CUE. I've used it about ten times now and even my olderly in laws have got it down in their SRX. I had to help them pair their phones because the iPhone wasnt finding the car but that is the only issue they've had.

Check out the rattle video, then look at the CUE screen. Even though the entire CUE system was turned off, the HVAC controls were still frozen on the screen. Wouldn't go away until I turned the car off and then back on.

Screen grab:

CUE took a huge step backwards with the 2016 update IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    Envoy4Life , thanks for a very detailed and balanced review.
    Thanks! Hopefully I answered all questions you had about the car. If you have any more, don't be afraid to ask!
    Current:

2016 Cadillac CTS4 2.0T Performance

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Envoy4Life For This Useful Post:

bballr4567 (01-10-2016),mbukukanyau (01-10-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 645 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mgescuro View Post
    The crooked stitching and gaps, for me, fall under "attention to detail."
    On a list of top 10 important factors in buying a luxury car/product, would fall at #1 or 2.
    If I'm honest, the last Jaguar XF I was in had a similar issue.

Bingo.
    At 19 miles, both the Cadillac and Mercedes should not have a squeak or rattle. Period. End of discussion.
    These days, even at 50,000 you shouldn't head a rattle or squeak from with car.
    At 100,000 (5 years), you still won't hear it from a Mercedes, but the chances of hearing grows. Can you say the same for a Cadillac?
    This is where Reputation starts kicking in. You'll start to heart the squeaks and rattles in BMW's around this time. Not so much with Mercedes. My 1995 C-Class started squeaking at the 18 year mark with a loose plastic part on the gate shifter, which was easily repositioned back. I can still go over a speed bump with the sunroof open, and not hear a squeak from the over all body. That to me is impressive, especially as sunroofs are notoriously squeaky and flex a bit in most cars.
    In my experience, Mercedes is a cut above all of their competitors in this area and has been for a very long time (with some exceptions).
    Last edited by member12; 01-10-2016 at 01:05 AM.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 555 Posts
    My Ride
    '18 Dodge Charger SXT Blacktop

Everyone knows how much I love the new CTS... I honestly do. It's a beautiful car and it drives damn near perfect in my mind. However, quality just isn't there. Years ago I drove my friends then brand new 2014 CTS Premium with maybe 5k miles on it and when I slammed (not hard btw) the passenger door the puddle light on the mirror fell off and was hanging there. This happened on a car that stickers for $70k.

My next choice in car is up between a brand new Accord EX-L V6 or a certified CTS 3.6 V6. Quality issues on the latest generation of Cadillac's will steer me into my 3rd Accord. Damn shame, because I want to give Cadillac another chance.

Check out the rattle video, then look at the CUE screen. Even though the entire CUE system was turned off, the HVAC controls were still frozen on the screen. Wouldn't go away until I turned the car off and then back on.

Screen grab:

CUE took a huge step backwards with the 2016 update IMHO.

Thanks! Hopefully I answered all questions you had about the car. If you have any more, don't be afraid to ask!
    My experience with the 2016 version of CUE was the opposite. I was amazed at how much faster processing was and it felt more refined and less buggy overall to me. However I only spent a few hours with the system so that could be the reason why.

This particular car was a 2.0T Luxury and I didn't notice any quality defects or hear any rattles on this car. I believe it had 3k miles or so when I drove it.
    Last edited by ryannel2003; 01-10-2016 at 10:47 AM.
    2018 Dodge Charger SXT Blacktop (Plum Crazy Purple)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ryannel2003 For This Useful Post:

mgescuro (01-11-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 645 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ryannel2003 View Post

My experience with the 2016 version of CUE was the opposite. I was amazed at how much faster processing was and it felt more refined and less buggy overall to me. However I only spent a few hours with the system so that could be the reason why.

This particular car was a 2.0T Luxury and I didn't notice any quality defects or hear any rattles on this car. I believe it had 3k miles or so when I drove it.
    I think he has a bad unit. For years, I'd get rental cars with Ford's Sync that froze up like that. It wasn't every car, but it was often enough where I thought they had a problem. I still thought it was a good system in need of a better processor, but after getting stuck with Explorers and other Fords for a few years, I can see exactly why the infotainment freezing up and not responding would be absolutely infuriating.

I got upgraded to Cadillacs two or three times, and I honestly never had a problem operating CUE although I always thought they can use more processing power. I've been told that the 2016's addressed that problem.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2001 Trans Am Black

Quote Originally Posted by longislander View Post
    To me the CTS is such a comfortable and great looking/riding/driving car, that the issues in the review which are being made SUCH a big deal of in this thread ("UNACCEPTABLE" et al), are nothing but minor nit-picks.
    Also, are you saying that it's OK for a Mercedes to rattle, but not a Cadillac, because it (in some people's eyes - not mine) has more "cachet"???
    To me, of course not. No 55K car I buy should rattle. But regardless I'm not buying a Benz anyway, always been a GM guy.

However what I am saying is to the general public and 30-something professional eager to impress, they are more likely to forgive a Benz if it rattles than a Cadillac. Not saying it's fair, but it's the reality. Years of building (vs. losing) brand equity gets you more leeway.
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am
    2016 Chevy SS Sedan
    2017 Chevy Traverse

Past:
    2016 Chevy Traverse
    2012 Buick Regal GS
    2010 Chevy Traverse
    2003 Cadillac Seville SLS
    2003 Chevy Blazer M5
    1989 Pontiac Firebird

20. The Following User Says Thank You to NHRATA01 For This Useful Post:

Envoy4Life (01-11-2016)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

I have a 1995 C-Class that started to squeak about 2 years ago, where the plastic surrounding the gate shifter started to come loose. Otherwise, no squeaks or rattles anywhere. My 2015 E-Class is the same build quality. I thought I hear a rattling once in the door, but it turned out to be a dime.
    No doubt that all cars will eventually develop squeaks and rattles over the course of their lifetime.
    But at 19 miles? Come on. And then the bad stitching and plastic gaps on the steering wheel? You shouldn't expect that from ANY car at ANY price point, but definitely not one at the $50,000 price point.
    I have a word for that — UNACCEPTABLE.
    When did you buy a 1995 C Class? And when did you buy a 2015 E Class? They weren't listed or mentioned before.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Jesda's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,516 Times in 1,159 Posts
    My Ride
    MX5, STS

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post

The issue isn't usability. I find the UI to be perfectly reasonable.

The problem is that once you sync your data and stream audio and map a destination, it bogs down. It needs better hardware and the software needs further optimization.
    My blog: Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Jesda's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,516 Times in 1,159 Posts
    My Ride
    MX5, STS

My 1995 C-Class started squeaking at the 18 year mark with a loose plastic part on the gate shifter, which was easily repositioned back. I can still go over a speed bump with the sunroof open, and not hear a squeak from the over all body. That to me is impressive, especially as sunroofs are notoriously squeaky and flex a bit in most cars.
    The first C-class was a cheap car that drives cheaply as well. The fact that yours is taking so long to rattle like a sack of bricks is pure luck. They're generally mediocre cars. They'd never hold up here in the great lakes region.

A handful of people have flawless Fiats and Range Rovers too. That's not the norm.

Really, that whole era for Daimler-Benz was pathetic. Find a better example of MB quality, like the W124 or the current S-class. You have to be insane or a fanboy to defend the W202, W210, or W220.

I, for example, have put 150k+ on FWD Northstar Cadillacs without major issues, driven hard in varying conditions all over the country. I know for a fact that this is out of the ordinary for these cars. Any knowledgeable auto enthusiast wouldn't suggest an older front-drive Cadillac or late 90s/early 2000s MB coupe or sedan to anyone they actually liked.
    Last edited by Jesda; 01-21-2016 at 01:56 AM.
    My blog: Hidden Content

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Jesda For This Useful Post:

megeebee (02-01-2016)

25. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345