GMI Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Volt Long Term Review - Page 3

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GMI Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Volt Long Term Review

Thanks
    My Ride
    '14 Volt, '17 Acadia, '08 STS

Re: GMI Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Volt Long Term Review

Quote Originally Posted by gopedxr7 View Post
    the lack of 5th seat i am sure is costing some sales. hopefully they correct that on the next generation. i have not been in the back of a volt to really look at it. but when i was a kid, RWD cars had a hump in the middle of the floor of the backseat. and we just spread our legs if we sad in the middle
    With the really cheap lease rates that have been offered in the past, I'm pretty sure I'd be leasing one if it had room for 5. Most of the time 4 seats is adequate for me, but with a family of 5, I have to at least have the ability to seat everyone in my car for the few times a year that it is a necessity. At the same time, I understand why this is only a 4 seater, and realize that it would significantly impact the design of the battery to have that 5th seat, so I don't expect it anytime soon.
    Past GM vehicles: 72 Cutlass S, 97 LeSabre, 00 Alero, 04 Grand Prix, 05 Vue, 06 Envoy XL, 09 Traverse, 12 Enclave, 08 Astra

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Overall a decent review. Kudos to Tahoe.

Now, onto the withering criticisms.....
    50-125 mph passing maneuver, skidpad lateral G force, parking lot burnout, and vertical rocket launch were all missing from the review.
    There was no comparison against the F-150 or the Audi A8.
    The article completely omitted the crewcab option and provided no details on the V12 turbo-diesel.

Finally, there were no salient quotes to honor john who no longer posts here,
    Quote Originally Posted by hopelessly deluded
    Measurable performance is not important, only that the vehicle be Toyota. That's all that counts, ever. The End.
    Other than those few minor details, the article was right on target.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to plane For This Useful Post:

Canuck (01-20-2014),Voltastic (01-19-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by emg77 View Post
    With the really cheap lease rates that have been offered in the past, I'm pretty sure I'd be leasing one if it had room for 5. Most of the time 4 seats is adequate for me, but with a family of 5, I have to at least have the ability to seat everyone in my car for the few times a year that it is a necessity. At the same time, I understand why this is only a 4 seater, and realize that it would significantly impact the design of the battery to have that 5th seat, so I don't expect it anytime soon.
    I expect not only a 5 seat Volt but a CUV version as well, by 2017. We shall see, though, GM is very tight-lipped now about their future plans, and good for them!

Personally, I actually prefer the front and rear console, 4-seat style, which I think is sportier. Like the Panamera! I just wish it had a few inches more rear legroom, otherwise the Volt's dimensions are perfect for me.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 1,068 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

good review of a UNIQUE car
    IMHO the VOLT [b**will [/b]be like the Prius in 5-10 years when People understand it and the Price WITHOUT TAX REBATES is in range of a family sedan
    for many years everybody complained the Prius NEVER pays for itself/ what if the traction Batts fail ETC
    and a quick tour of the internet shows people have figured out the Prius Battery "issues" / how to rebuild them /"Hack" them

ONE "ISSUE" I ran into that would make it a NO-GO PERIOD is at-30 range not plugged in the car can [b]NOT BE BOOSTED OR STARTED until plugged in (a re-volt equipped tow truck will get almost ANY other car started (A flat deck truck ride from the airport after X MAS does NOT go over well!!!) this happened to a co worker of mine this year and I experienced it trying to test drive a VOLT @ the dealer as they had unplugged it to move cars in/out of the show room and could NOT move it back with out a tow truck BUT Winnipeg/CDN prairies are a "harsh" climate for ANY CAR Period

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member Extreme4x4's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,140 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Explorer Sport

Quote Originally Posted by BBDOS CV8 View Post

The environment you describe is exactly ideal for Volts - they're great in hills, leave the trans in low up to 50mph and you will get great regen which will run the car for eons. And same around town, where trickling on overrun and braking will keep it charged. The torque from the motor is like the reverse of turbo-lag, it's almost more than instantaneous, but extremely smooth.

The really good thing is, it's a high-quality thing in general, with an excellent interior/seats. And, more like a strong V6 when you sink the welly.

I had it in extreme heat last year, and constant aircon use didn't make much difference in mileage around town. That's it's forte.

This is in 42 C heat - that's about 110 deg. F and it was flawless for the whole week, when a petrol car would be starting to get sluggish. Because of no heat generator running continuously under the bonnet especially when stopped, it also stays a lot cooler, inside and out.

This is from an Australian - I wouldn't own a US spec Cruze, Malibu or Impala after seeing them close up last year - the Volt is extremely special, not perfect but brilliant and the best savings, even running on gasoline, are to be had around town. I'm considering getting one - even first gen. It's least-economical on the open highway, but even there it is far from bad. Plus - the steps they took to keep the battery pack alive means they could almost be immortal.

Holden version
    What would hurt the car for me isn't the mountains, but the cold. Anything battery powered sees a tremendous reduction in range when it is cold/very cold. I understand the torque can be a great advantage in the mountains, though. To the nearest big city is 80 miles. So, that run would really reduce economy.

Maybe in the future, GM will come up with a more efficient generator (gas engine) for the Volt.
    The resident "girl"

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member BBDOS CV8's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Holden Monaro (Barbados)

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme4x4 View Post
    What would hurt the car for me isn't the mountains, but the cold. Anything battery powered sees a tremendous reduction in range when it is cold/very cold. I understand the torque can be a great advantage in the mountains, though. To the nearest big city is 80 miles. So, that run would really reduce economy.

Maybe in the future, GM will come up with a more efficient generator (gas engine) for the Volt.
    Maybe not so much as you think - not sure on the interlinking/overlapping but the two coolant systems of the ICE and battery pack would combine I would imagine to assist with heating like a conventional car. The battery pack has an ideal working temp of 50-90 deg F and is carefully warmed to that. As Zete said, on charge/remote start it is warmed to that (plus seats, steering wheel) and does not deplete range. In use, heat would be generated by the battery pack and/or ICE an used. Perhaps we need a Volt eng to chime in. So IOW, battery usage to warm the car might only occur if stationary in a blizzard, when your conventional ICE would be running under load to power your heater anyway even in a gasoline car with stop-start.

And my experience of the Volt at speed on the freeway is, yes it uses more fuel than in urban usage: but still 10-20% less than say a Cruze or similar to a diesel Cruze. Around town, in range-extender mode that difference blows out to 30-40%. So economy on the range-extender isn't wow-amazing on the freeway - merely, better than a 'normal' car: but it's still consistently better in any condition. If you drive 100mph absolutely everywhere, it might be lineball. Otherwise, the Volt is always in front, urban or freeway of a gasoline car in the Cruze/Focus class.

And in terms of equipment, sound system, fit, finish and comfort as a personal conveyance the Volt will blow virtually anything short of Cadillac level away. And even them, for silence and smoothness. It still stays with me - how smooth and silent progress, lack of ICE revving/gearchanges even in a smooth auto, lack of CVT whine; is that you keep thinking something is missing for the first few days.
    Last edited by BBDOS CV8; 01-19-2014 at 05:44 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BBDOS CV8 For This Useful Post:

plane (01-19-2014),Voltastic (01-19-2014)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Commodore & Volt

Quote Originally Posted by BBDOS CV8 View Post
    Maybe not so much as you think - not sure on the interlinking/overlapping but the two coolant systems of the ICE and battery pack would combine I would imagine to assist with heating like a conventional car. The battery pack has an ideal working temp of 50-90 deg F and is carefully warmed to that. As Zete said, on charge/remote start it is warmed to that (plus seats, steering wheel) and does not deplete range. In use, heat would be generated by the battery pack and/or ICE an used. Perhaps we need a Volt eng to chime in. So IOW, battery usage to warm the car might only occur if stationary in a blizzard, when your conventional ICE would be running under load to power your heater anyway even in a gasoline car with stop-start.

And my experience of the Volt at speed on the freeway is, yes it uses more fuel than in urban usage: but still 10-20% less than say a Cruze or similar to a diesel Cruze. Around town, in range-extender mode that difference blows out to 30-40%. So economy on the range-extender isn't wow-amazing on the freeway - merely, better than a 'normal' car: but it's still consistently better in any condition. If you drive 100mph absolutely everywhere, it might be lineball. Otherwise, the Volt is always in front, urban or freeway of a gasoline car in the Cruze/Focus class.

And in terms of equipment, sound system, fit, finish and comfort as a personal conveyance the Volt will blow virtually anything short of Cadillac level away. And even them, for silence and smoothness. It still stays with me - how smooth and silent progress, lack of ICE revving/gearchanges even in a smooth auto, lack of CVT whine; is that you keep thinking something is missing for the first few days.
    Yes it gets underway quickly with NO fuss, makes me laugh when I hear the racket in the next lane, along with the lurching / twisting body work, while in the Volt the acceleration is quite very quite and linear smooth.
    It is a very quite car and noise sealed to a very high standard, chassi is very rigid thanks to the battery pack giving it a neutral RWD feel under a high number of conditions.
    Very calming to drive while enjoying decent sound tracks.

The Volt for me is the perfect Urban car, nimble and sharp handling in traffic, in L you can almost drive just with accelerator pedal, does all I need like no other car out on todays market.

When I step back into my old ICE car (It's like going vintage).

I'm really looking forward to what the future in EV's will bring (4WD with millisecond torque vectoring control) once they are more common and more affordable.
    They have proven they can do what no traditional mechanical car can do..... get you round corners like it was magic.
    The Volt is an amazing taste for now and I know there will be more, I love plugging in every night and unplugging in the morning, takes me seconds while I walk around the car, in future charge pads for convenience or for the lazy will be an option.

Besides if you have solar panels like I have you literally can drive 72Km in summer - driving on SUNSINE that fell on your roof.
    Can't beat that !
    Last edited by OzMartin; 01-20-2014 at 03:15 AM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Chevy Malibu LT

The biggest annoyance for me is actually the lack of a power adjustable seat. My wife sometimes drives the car and she's 9" shorter than I am.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Genghis View Post
    The biggest annoyance for me is actually the lack of a power adjustable seat. My wife sometimes drives the car and she's 9" shorter than I am.
    Not much advantage to having power seats unless it also has memory. Which I do wish it had. There have been many calls on the forum wish lists for power seats in the Volt, so I expect GM has received that message and will follow through. My guess is MY2015, when I'm expecting a refresh, and an all-new Volt for MY2017, but these are just educated guesses.

Walking
    Thanks

I bought my 2013 Volt Dec 2012.
    In 20,000 hard city miles here in PGH I've used 26 gallons of gas.
    Changed the oil once.
    Been to the gas station twice. (also put about 3 gallons from gas can that was left over from lawn mower)
    After more than 40 years of owning and maintaining cars ... have to say this Volt is by far the least cost to maintain by far.
    I don't miss the 80 or so trips the gas station my Volt has saved me.
    I don't miss changing the oil every couple months.
    I love the no shifting (not "continuously variable" the Volt drive is no shifting always in gear) drive.
    I love not having to "air out " the garage as I'm leaving or coming home.
    I love not having to use the fan I have rigged up in my garage to get rid of the excess heat when I used to bring in my gas burner.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to pjkBP For This Useful Post:

ZombiesAreComing (10-18-2015)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,276 Times in 3,067 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Equinox V6| 2013 Traverse

Saw this at a local dealership

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

DAyers (10-17-2015),MiatsoCi (10-14-2015)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

The 2016 Volt is starting to show up in small numbers so far in California but I understand more are on the way. I was disappointed to learn that my local Chevy dealer does not have any yet, although I have head the dealer in the next town over has put at least one on the road. As I am not quite half-way into the lease on my 2014 Volt I am anxious to see the new one so I can appreciate the changes Chevy has made to it.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Just reg stuff in the Garage

It was a great review, thanks Tahoe. My wife is about to turn her 2013 in, residual is too high or we'd keep it, Ally won't negotiate. We keep spreadsheets on various things & the volt was one so I was looking at some of the aggregate numbers. 40238 miles 2055.3 on gas, lifetime mpg 705.12. It's still estimating & getting & up 05 mile charges regularly. There's a bunch more data I just have to organize it, total kwh used is one, eng hours, gal used.

The battery is going strong with a bunch of cycles, the ice has 2k miles, the brakes are barely touched. One of the best cars the world never saw. I didn't like the seats, too cheap, the rest of the car I liked it, a lot.

We have an elr (2016) now & it's got 499 miles, 39 on gas & we're getting +50 mile charges out of it already. The car has been slow & pessimistic to catch on but this morning it predicted 51, a record.

Voltec is awesome, & I drive a vette.

married to 'Poolside', you find me doing pool maint a lot. One of these years we're going to take August *Off*. maybe.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZombiesAreComing For This Useful Post:

tripowergto (10-19-2015),Voltastic (10-18-2015)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Just reg stuff in the Garage

It's prob my browser but I can't get an edit to work any more. this sentence - It's still estimating & getting & up 05 mile charges regularly <-- should read 'It's still estimating & getting & 50 mile & up charges regularly'. My apologies.

married to 'Poolside', you find me doing pool maint a lot. One of these years we're going to take August *Off*. maybe.

Walking
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Tundra, 2010, Black

great photos))

23. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information