Workhorse: Lordstown Sold to EV pickup truck maker - Page 4

  1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

    Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!
     
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 46 to 55 of 55

Thread: Workhorse: Lordstown Sold to EV pickup truck maker

  1. #46
    1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    North Coast of America
    Posts
    38
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 33 Times in 15 Posts

    Re: Workhorse: Lordstown Sold to EV pickup truck maker

    Well there is a lot that has to happen yet here. The UAW needs to join in and they are not impressed.

    Workhorse would only employ a small number of peop,e GM did. The pickup truck is not anything special.

    The key here is fleet sales to the postal and delivery fleets. If Workhorse can do that they may have a shot.

    The other problem is they don’t have the money to buy the plant from what I have heard. Not sure it is true but it is plausible.

    Could GM set them up in the plant for a stake in the company?

    GM could also supply them with chassis and tech help.

    Either way I would not get too excited over this as it is only a better than nothing deal as it stands.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  3. #47
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    3,278
    Thanks
    363
    Thanked 448 Times in 188 Posts

    Re: Workhorse: Lordstown Sold to EV pickup truck maker

    I'm not fan of the UAW, but they know the situation is that the new company will hire, at most, a small fraction of the workers that GM did. The company will buy a 6 M SF facility that will cost it dearly from just a facilities perspective, it will drown in debt before you know it and be out of business in 5 years.

  4. #48
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    A sunny cave in Transylvania
    Posts
    33,018
    Thanks
    7,255
    Thanked 5,622 Times in 3,630 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

    Re: Workhorse: Lordstown Sold to EV pickup truck maker

    Quote Originally Posted by IROCNROL1 View Post
    I beg to differ. I've sold (actual tIMY did) the Brooklyn Bridge seven times now. Every new owner was extremely pleased with the purchase. At least initially, which is all that matters.

    Sincerity and a bargain basement price go a long way in expediting a transaction.
    “Sincerity - if you can fake that, you've got it made.”

    ― George Burns

    Quote Originally Posted by scott3 View Post
    Well there is a lot that has to happen yet here. The UAW needs to join in and they are not impressed.

    Workhorse would only employ a small number of peop,e GM did. The pickup truck is not anything special.

    The key here is fleet sales to the postal and delivery fleets. If Workhorse can do that they may have a shot.

    The other problem is they don’t have the money to buy the plant from what I have heard. Not sure it is true but it is plausible.

    Could GM set them up in the plant for a stake in the company?

    GM could also supply them with chassis and tech help.

    Either way I would not get too excited over this as it is only a better than nothing deal as it stands.
    I believe the PUT development is stalled in 2017. Wayback Machine, Sherman!
    2017 Soul &, Wolf Grey

    We choose to go to the Moon in this decade, and do the other things...not because they are easy, but because they are hard; because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept. John Kennedy

    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  6. #49
    4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    everywhere
    Posts
    1,938
    Thanks
    783
    Thanked 356 Times in 163 Posts
    My Ride
    07 Vette Cruze 2015 Colorado

    Re: Lordstown Sold?

    Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    So....is this where we are? Apparently we're now making up companies to claim a win? Has anyone even heard of "Workhorse" electric trucks?

    Edit: Apparently they're real, lets see how this plays out...good news for the Lordstown folk if this pulls through and is viable.
    Has anyone noticed the rear bumper is a GM style one with the foot step?

  7. #50
    4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar IROCNROL1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Fairfax, Iowa
    Posts
    2,648
    Thanks
    65
    Thanked 65 Times in 35 Posts

    Re: Workhorse: Lordstown Sold to EV pickup truck maker

    Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    “Sincerity - if you can fake that, you've got it made.”

    ― George Burns
    Not to twist words or intentions, but tIMY sincerely wanted to make the sale(s) and worked diligently to make it happen. GM could learn a lot from him. Or have they already?
    It sounded pretty good until I actually said it.

  8. #51
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    A sunny cave in Transylvania
    Posts
    33,018
    Thanks
    7,255
    Thanked 5,622 Times in 3,630 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

    Re: Workhorse: Lordstown Sold to EV pickup truck maker

    Quote Originally Posted by IROCNROL1 View Post
    Not to twist words or intentions, but tIMY sincerely wanted to make the sale(s) and worked diligently to make it happen. GM could learn a lot from him. Or have they already?
    i FEEL aSSURED tHAT tIMY is most mostly sincere.

    Is that bridge still for sALE?
    2017 Soul &, Wolf Grey

    We choose to go to the Moon in this decade, and do the other things...not because they are easy, but because they are hard; because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept. John Kennedy

    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

  9. #52
    1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    In the moment
    Posts
    68
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My Ride
    2004 Olds Silhouette

    Re: Lordstown Sold?

    There is so much wrong with the name of this thread...

    Lordstown is not sold, not even close to being sold. Workhorse was named as one of the companies interested in acquiring the facility, but GM will negotiate with a consortium of companies, (I'm assuming) in order to complete a deal to buy the plant. It's not clear if Workhorse will be the only occupant under this scenario.

    The W-15 truck shown in the photos is based on a Silverado, but uses a 40 kWh battery set and a BMW gasoline motor/generator to provide power when the battery runs out of energy. In some regards, very much like the Voltec power train.

    The bidding for the USPS vehicle is still in the early stages, there's no indication that Workhorse is a front runner of any kind. From what I've read, if Workhorse gets the USPS bid, the postal truck will be assembled in the Lordstown facility. Other Workhorse products are already being built in Union City, IN. FWIW, much bigger and better established companies are also in the bidding process. It remains to be seen what will happen with the bidding.

    I think that with the advances in technology and possibly a simplified manufacturing process for these trucks (assuming they still source chassis from GM), it seems unlikely that they could utilize the 6 million square foot facility and employ anywhere near what one shift of Cruze production necessitated.

    As a former resident of the Valley, I hope that something good comes back to Lordstown. It was upgraded in the last several years to include it's own stamping plant and a new body shop/paint line. I believe it's also flex capable, meaning you could build more than one type of vehicle there, also. The best case scenario would be another GM car or truck line built there. Failing that, possibly a sale to FCA (which seems to be on a roll lately) or to a better established player in the electric car field.
    Thanks,
    George

    geozinger_again

  10. #53
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    A sunny cave in Transylvania
    Posts
    33,018
    Thanks
    7,255
    Thanked 5,622 Times in 3,630 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

    Re: Lordstown Sold?

    Quote Originally Posted by geozinger_again View Post
    There is so much wrong with the name of this thread...

    Lordstown is not sold, not even close to being sold. Workhorse was named as one of the companies interested in acquiring the facility, but GM will negotiate with a consortium of companies, (I'm assuming) in order to complete a deal to buy the plant. It's not clear if Workhorse will be the only occupant under this scenario.

    The W-15 truck shown in the photos is based on a Silverado, but uses a 40 kWh battery set and a BMW gasoline motor/generator to provide power when the battery runs out of energy. In some regards, very much like the Voltec power train.

    The bidding for the USPS vehicle is still in the early stages, there's no indication that Workhorse is a front runner of any kind. From what I've read, if Workhorse gets the USPS bid, the postal truck will be assembled in the Lordstown facility. Other Workhorse products are already being built in Union City, IN. FWIW, much bigger and better established companies are also in the bidding process. It remains to be seen what will happen with the bidding.

    I think that with the advances in technology and possibly a simplified manufacturing process for these trucks (assuming they still source chassis from GM), it seems unlikely that they could utilize the 6 million square foot facility and employ anywhere near what one shift of Cruze production necessitated.

    As a former resident of the Valley, I hope that something good comes back to Lordstown. It was upgraded in the last several years to include it's own stamping plant and a new body shop/paint line. I believe it's also flex capable, meaning you could build more than one type of vehicle there, also. The best case scenario would be another GM car or truck line built there. Failing that, possibly a sale to FCA (which seems to be on a roll lately) or to a better established player in the electric car field.
    Pretty well nailed it, zinger. In other words, nothing has happened unless you consider talk and rumors something "happening."
    2017 Soul &, Wolf Grey

    We choose to go to the Moon in this decade, and do the other things...not because they are easy, but because they are hard; because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept. John Kennedy

    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

  11. #54
    4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar IROCNROL1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Fairfax, Iowa
    Posts
    2,648
    Thanks
    65
    Thanked 65 Times in 35 Posts

    Re: Workhorse: Lordstown Sold to EV pickup truck maker

    Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    Is that bridge still for sALE?
    Unfortunately, not at present. tIMY is currently enjoying yet another taxpayer financed, government sponsored vacation. Free meals and boarding along with free gym membership and library privileges. He is trying to cut the vacation short via good behavior though. We'll see.
    It sounded pretty good until I actually said it.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to IROCNROL1 For This Useful Post:

    richmond2000 (05-14-2019)

  13. #55
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC DeeAgeaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    142
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts

    Re: Lordstown Sold?

    Quote Originally Posted by geozinger_again View Post
    There is so much wrong with the name of this thread...

    Lordstown is not sold, not even close to being sold. Workhorse was named as one of the companies interested in acquiring the facility, but GM will negotiate with a consortium of companies, (I'm assuming) in order to complete a deal to buy the plant. It's not clear if Workhorse will be the only occupant under this scenario.

    The W-15 truck shown in the photos is based on a Silverado, but uses a 40 kWh battery set and a BMW gasoline motor/generator to provide power when the battery runs out of energy. In some regards, very much like the Voltec power train.

    The bidding for the USPS vehicle is still in the early stages, there's no indication that Workhorse is a front runner of any kind. From what I've read, if Workhorse gets the USPS bid, the postal truck will be assembled in the Lordstown facility. Other Workhorse products are already being built in Union City, IN. FWIW, much bigger and better established companies are also in the bidding process. It remains to be seen what will happen with the bidding.

    I think that with the advances in technology and possibly a simplified manufacturing process for these trucks (assuming they still source chassis from GM), it seems unlikely that they could utilize the 6 million square foot facility and employ anywhere near what one shift of Cruze production necessitated.

    As a former resident of the Valley, I hope that something good comes back to Lordstown. It was upgraded in the last several years to include it's own stamping plant and a new body shop/paint line. I believe it's also flex capable, meaning you could build more than one type of vehicle there, also. The best case scenario would be another GM car or truck line built there. Failing that, possibly a sale to FCA (which seems to be on a roll lately) or to a better established player in the electric car field.
    Workhorse is planning a 60 kWh battery with the 1.5L turbo 3 cyl engine from the BMW i8 with 80 miles of all electric range before range extender kicks in.

    They could certainly use the GM 1.5L turbo i4 engine.

    The alternative is a shuttered plant.

    Many of the former GM Lordstown employees have accepted transfers to other GM facilities.

    The heart of the matter is future employment for young people in the area not current middle age workers.

  14. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 43
    Last Post: 02-14-2011, 08:38 PM
  2. NIB GM Navigation System Complete SOLD SOLD
    By fever42 in forum Cars/Parts For Sale
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-24-2009, 10:48 AM
  3. GM to cut 3rd shift at Lordstown, Ohio small-car plant
    By GM2004 in forum Automotive Industry & GM News
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-06-2006, 12:51 PM
  4. Saturn ION Production to Move to Lordstown
    By plane in forum GM Heritage Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-22-2005, 11:23 PM
  5. GM Lordstown nears switch to Cobalt production
    By Ming in forum Global Chevrolet News
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 09-03-2004, 03:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2