Why So Many Carmakers Use ZF's Eight-Speed Automatic - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why So Many Carmakers Use ZF's Eight-Speed Automatic

GMI Staff Member Premium Member NoStopN's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,378 Times in 1,393 Posts
    My Ride
    '19 Ram 1500, '69 GMC 2500

Re: Why So Many Carmakers Use ZF's Eight-Speed Automatic

Quote Originally Posted by Stéphane Dumas View Post
    I guess Nissan could knock at ZF door to replace their CVT.
    I was looking at their website for the Titan the other day & still can't believe that Nissan designed this truck with a 7-speed (presumably in-house). I might understand using the Aisin 6-speed for torque capacity, but the ZF 8-speed has shown to be able to handle the torque rating that the Cummins 5.0 carries.

Otherwise, I must say that I'm impressed at the capability of the ZF trans for my Ram. It's quite a shock to someone's system who had come from an archaic 4-speed transmission vehicle. I haven't driven either Ford or GM truck with their 8- or 10-speed transmissions, but they had their work cut out for them after Ram started using the ZF unit.
    Hidden Content

I love you, Dad. 8/25/57-3/28/11

Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Evo69's Avatar
    Thanks

The ZF 9 speed helped kill the Dodge Dart and Chrysler 200.
    Hidden Content
    I find it sad that some people wish for GM to fail and can't comprehend any good news. A plausible explanation for this kind of behavior is that you have a miserable life so you wish the same to others. Cory Pham, Autoblog Poster

GM must return its divisions to being interdependent entities within the corporation. Decentralize and free the different divisions talents to foster brand differentiation and customer loyalty.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Evo69 View Post
    shhhh are you trying to ruin the circle jerk here?

With that said and having not driven a ZF 8 speed transmission vehicle I would say that the 10 speed GM/Ford unit is comparable to it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by roadkillz View Post
    shhhh are you trying to ruin the circle jerk here?

With that said and having not driven a ZF 8 speed transmission vehicle I would say that the 10 speed GM/Ford unit is comparable to it.
    Well, this was was good enough for (excluding locals): Rolls-Royce Ghost,[18] Rolls-Royce Wraith (2013), Bentley Mulsanne, Bentley Continental GT, Bentley Bentayga, Audi RS 6, Audi SQ7, Rolls-Royce Ghost Black Badge, Rolls-Royce Wraith Black Badge, Rolls-Royce Dawn Black Badge, Aston Martin DBS Superleggera, BMW 7 Series (F01), BMW X5 50i (E70), BMW 5 series (F10/11), BMW 3 Series (F30) 335d, Jaguar F-Type (V6 and V8), Rolls-Royce Phantom, Maserati Quattroporte (2013–), Aston Martin Vanquish (2015), Aston Martin Rapide S (2015),[14] Alpina B3 (F30/31), Alpina B4 (F32/33), Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio, Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio, Aston Martin DB11, Aston Martin V8 Vantage (2019), Alpina B5 (G30/31), BMW 5 series (G30/G31/F90), BMW X5 M (F85), BMW X6 M (F86), BMW 7 Series (G11/12),[15] BMW X5 (F15)[16] BMW X3 30D (G01).

Ford and GM can only dream about such success and with this proven track, imagine how much cheaper it can be to just licence this instead spending years in development (along with associated costs) and then offer it only on the top trims. FCA bet the farm on it and it won.
    Last edited by canadian.bacon; 05-23-2019 at 08:12 AM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to canadian.bacon For This Useful Post:

gkr778 (05-23-2019),Neanderthal (05-23-2019),richmond2000 (05-23-2019)

CJH
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,483 Times in 856 Posts
    My Ride
    Audi S4, Merc GL

Quote Originally Posted by sydtron View Post
    ZF does great at longitudinal automatics, but after their 9-speed transverse (ZF 9HP) problems I sure wouldn't want them to tackle a CVT.
    I know there were some mechanical problems with the intial run, but wasn't a lot of it "tuning" that the automakers themselves had programmed?

Quote Originally Posted by NoStopN View Post
    I was looking at their website for the Titan the other day & still can't believe that Nissan designed this truck with a 7-speed (presumably in-house). I might understand using the Aisin 6-speed for torque capacity, but the ZF 8-speed has shown to be able to handle the torque rating that the Cummins 5.0 carries
    It's the Mercedes 7-speed. They use it in the Armada/QX80 as well. It's not as good as the ZF 8-speed, but its pretty stout.

Quote Originally Posted by roadkillz View Post
    It's not. It has potential, but its not there yet.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by CJH Hidden Content
    Don't be loyal to a company, be loyal to good product and service.
    Past Rides:
    Audi A6 4.2L
    QX80 - @Big Salvage Yard in the Sky
    Audi S4 2.7TT
    Durango Limited Hemi 5.7L
    Ford Explorer 5.0L
    Pontiac Grand AM 3.4L
    Chevy Corsica 3.0L
    Toyota Tercel "Turdcel"
    Ford LTD Station Wagon 5.0L "Blue Thunder"

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CJH For This Useful Post:

gkr778 (05-23-2019),Neanderthal (05-23-2019)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,977 Times in 3,801 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

The 6A in the 200s also had hinky issues. Mine was very jerky in the lower gears, they reflashed it three or four times and that helped but you could still tell it wasn't all there.

KIA does all their transmissions internally. I wish I had the ZF equivalent in my Soul. The corporate 6A is OK but compared to the ZF 8A, it's generations back.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks
    Thanked 1,809 Times in 959 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 BMW 320i and '72 Nova

Dodge Dart (PF) never offered ZF 9HP during its lifecycle. The only torque converter automatic available on that car was the Hyundai Powertech/Transys 6F24.

FCA continues to use the ZF 9HP in the current generation Cherokee, Compass, Renegade, Doblò/ProMaster City, Pacifica, 500X, and Toro.
    God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,497 Times in 3,761 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Cadillac CTS Performance

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    Why? Because it's a damn good trannie. I've had two in my Mopars, both linked to the Pentastar. Smooth, seamless, kick down quickly, upshift almost imperceptibly. Someone did their job.
    Quote Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post

ZF 8HP is the best torque converter automatic transmission ever made for passenger cars and light trucks. No one else has been able to match its combination of smoothness, high performance, and wide range of applications.
    Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000 View Post
    I have one in my RAM and it is near as perfect as it can be

I can NOT tell what gear it is in it is so smooth it will downshift lightning quick when "poked" MUCH better than the LAST few GM electronic trannies I have owned
    Quote Originally Posted by canadian.bacon View Post
    I had one in my Ram too, smooth as silk. Always keeps the engine in the most efficient powerband, quick and quiet.
    This is one of the things that keeps me looking back at getting another Ram, compared to the Chevy 6 speed. All in the low trims.
    Quote Originally Posted by big swede View Post
    Totally agree. It's also most likely a big reason my Challenger GT is averaging 5mpg better than my wife's Camaro despite the GT being driven much harder.
    Quote Originally Posted by fastrehotrods View Post
    Guess I'll add to the mix with my Ram 8 speed being flawless. Never once had an issue or complaint with it in daily use or towing, even with jumping up to 35's.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryannel2003 View Post
    I absolutely love the ZF in my V6 Charger. When the transmission kicks down you get a smooth surge and power and it holds the gears in the right part of the power band at all times. Combine that with the Pentastar and it's easy to see why the combo works so well.
    Reading all of this makes me even more mad that the GM 8 speed in my CTS is absolute junk.

My car feels like it's about to blow up from 30-55 MPH. Fortunately, there's a TSB out for it, but still, it's definitely unsettling for a $60,000+ sedan, especially when there's an excellent ZF 8 speed on the market.
    Current:

2016 Cadillac CTS4 2.0T Performance

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,519 Times in 1,101 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

I wonder how much the GM units it is GM programming for that EXTRA 1 MPG
    the 10 speed in the F150 is a VERY good transmission

FCA may USE ZF's OWN programming and NOT making their OWN and ZF also selling to RR and BMW ETC would spend a LOT of time "perfecting" the driving dynamics OVER the MAX fuel economy

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by CJH View Post
    It's the Mercedes 7-speed. They use it in the Armada/QX80 as well. It's not as good as the ZF 8-speed, but its pretty stout.
    I hadn't read that info anywhere. But, it also helps support my original statement about using it & the Aisin for the Cummins instead of just the one ZF transmission for both models. Maybe they got some killer deals on buying them instead of the ZF?

Quote Originally Posted by Envoy4Life View Post
    Reading all of this makes me even more mad that the GM 8 speed in my CTS is absolute junk.

My car feels like it's about to blow up from 30-55 MPH. Fortunately, there's a TSB out for it, but still, it's definitely unsettling for a $60,000+ sedan, especially when there's an excellent ZF 8 speed on the market.
    Time for a 300 Pentastar? Probably faster with equal or better FE?

FCA may USE ZF's OWN programming and NOT making their OWN and ZF also selling to RR and BMW ETC would spend a LOT of time "perfecting" the driving dynamics OVER the MAX fuel economy
    Personally, I can't sneeze at a full size, crew cab, 5000+ lb. truck that can pull 17-18 MPG like clockwork. Even with a few prods of the throttle in each tank, I get the same reliable FE every time. I really can't sneeze at a truck like this that gets better FE than a 1000 lb. lighter, regular cab truck with a 4-speed auto. The great driving dynamics are a well enjoyed bonus.
    Last edited by NoStopN; 05-23-2019 at 03:56 PM.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NoStopN For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (05-23-2019),richmond2000 (05-24-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Envoy4Life View Post

Going shopping? Class action lawsuit? NHTSA Recall?

Have you contacted GM Case Management? 1-800-462-8782.

Quote Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
    Dodge Dart (PF) never offered ZF 9HP during its lifecycle. The only torque converter automatic available on that car was the Hyundai Powertech/Transys 6F24.

FCA continues to use the ZF 9HP in the current generation Cherokee, Compass, Renegade, Doblò/ProMaster City, Pacifica, 500X, and Toro.
    According to Wiki my 200 had the 62TE
    The 62TE is a six-speed derivative of the 41TE first introduced on 2007 Chrysler Sebring models fitted with the 3.5 L EGJ V6. Applications also include the Pacifica crossover (4.0 L), the RT Platform minivans (3.8 L & 4.0 L V6; also 2.8 L Diesel for Europe), and the Dodge Journey (3.5 L & 3.6L).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultradrive#62TE

I wonder how much the GM units it is GM programming for that EXTRA 1 MPG
    the 10 speed in the F150 is a VERY good transmission

I believe Mopar builds their own version under license.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    I believe Mopar builds their own version under license.
    I think so, but considering that they tweak the ZF design, most people still credit ZF. Either way, most people that I have talked to in my life who swore that they would never buy another Mopar product had a story about transmission trouble.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

18. The Following User Says Thank You to NoStopN For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (05-24-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by NoStopN View Post
    I think so, but considering that they tweak the ZF design, most people still credit ZF. Either way, most people that I have talked to in my life who swore that they would never buy another Mopar product had a story about transmission trouble.
    How far the mighty have fallen. I remember when the old Torqueflite was the cat's meow among the Big Three automatic transmissions. But those original engineers are all probably pushing daisies now.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (05-24-2019)

21. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information