Why GM should shift to Cadillac instead of reviving Hummer (Opinion)

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why GM should shift to Cadillac instead of reviving Hummer (Opinion)

News Contributor Premium Member EJD1984's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,341 Times in 1,148 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 GMC Sierra

Why GM should shift to Cadillac instead of reviving Hummer (Opinion)

Why GM should shift to Cadillac instead of reviving Hummer
    USA Today
    By Mark Phelan
    Jan 5, 2020

Please, General Motors, don’t revive Hummer.

The brand is toxic, and the idea that adding a brand can cure what ails your existing business – which, in case you’ve forgotten, is selling Cadillacs, Chevrolets, Buicks and GMCs – makes no more sense today that it did when the automaker tried it with Hummer, Saturn and Saab.

During its lost decades of the 1980s and '90s, GM wasted billions of dollars and the talent of countless engineers and designers chasing the fantasy of those three brands. They’re gone, and GM is better off without them, able to concentrate on providing strong lineups for fewer brands.

Talk about reviving Hummer as an all-electric brand of luxury off-roaders began in mid-2019. It shouldn’t survive into 2020.

It’s a mirage, like the illusion an idealized new relationship will improve the broken ones you already have.
    *Full Article at Link

2. The Following User Says Thank You to EJD1984 For This Useful Post:

Ed753 (01-06-2020)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: Why GM should shift to Cadillac instead of reviving Hummer (Opinion)

Maybe they will make it fully EV to compete with the Cybertruck?

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,184 Times in 1,150 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Jaguar F-Type (Manual)

GM says Cadillac will lead its big move into electric vehicles, but the process is taking too long. Adding Hummer would diminish the impact electric vehicles have on Cadillac, weakening a brand that deserves the automaker’s undivided attention.

If GM truly needs a second brand to sell luxury electric vehicles, it’s got a ready-made sales channel in GMC. The all-truck brand has a sterling image and already commands premium prices. If GM can’t profitably sell enough EV SUVs between Caddy and GMC, the problem isn’t the brands.
    REPEATING:
    If GM can’t profitably sell enough EV SUVs between Caddy and GMC, the problem isn’t the brands.

Amazing editorial, right on point.

Take the Hummer investment and continue to improve Cadillac. Where the hell is the Cadillac version of the Tesla Model 3? Let's go guys (and gals), there is much work to be done.

It's 2020; No one needs a new Hummer.

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Perian For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (01-06-2020),canadian.bacon (01-06-2020),EJD1984 (01-06-2020),JimmyDiablo (01-06-2020),Juche (01-06-2020),Mr.Buttons (01-07-2020),nadepalma (01-06-2020),Neanderthal (01-06-2020),sledgehammer777 (01-07-2020)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,725 Times in 2,415 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

That was a good piece and well worth the time to read it.
    The brand is toxic, and the idea that adding a brand can cure what ails your existing business – which, in case you’ve forgotten, is selling Cadillacs, Chevrolets, Buicks and GMCs – makes no more sense today that it did when the automaker tried it with Hummer, Saturn and Saab.
    If GM truly needs a second brand to sell luxury electric vehicles, it’s got a ready-made sales channel in GMC. The all-truck brand has a sterling image and already commands premium prices. If GM can’t profitably sell enough EV SUVs between Caddy and GMC, the problem isn’t the brands.
    Current electric-vehicle technology doesn’t lend itself to off-roading, another factor against a Hummer revival. Batteries are heavy. Weight, which can bog a vehicle down in sand or mud, is the enemy of off-road capability. Serious off-roaders who tackle challenges like the Rubicon Trail and Baja 1,000 are the last people likely to sign up for an EV.
    These were the things I found to be the best parts of the piece, and are quite true...

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

AusCalais (01-10-2020),Juche (01-06-2020)

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,240 Times in 1,486 Posts

Phelan is exactly right with every point he makes.
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,536 Times in 1,900 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Perian View Post
    Where the hell is the Cadillac version of a Tesla Model 3?
    They should not make that or a Model Y/Mach-E.
    The Cadillac EV/CUV should be a size or two larger and have none of this austere interior crap.
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

Hidden Content

2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to eaton53 For This Useful Post:

eklauss (01-06-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2020 Camaro/Now on hold. :(

Quote Originally Posted by 1958carnut View Post
    That was a good piece and well worth the time to read it. These were the things I found to be the best parts of the piece, and are quite true...
    I started to post this link yesterday but decided to leave it to the professionals. At one time, long ago, I was actually one of those guys who said "Wait till next year." concerning GM's comeback. I really thought it was going to happen at some point. The Gen 3 Camaro was first to give me pause.

Then GM flat out stated they couldn't compete with foreign companies building economy cars. Their solution? Saturn. Adding yet another division to an already bloated portfolio of brands. IMHO, the money would have been better spent giving Chevrolet those resources. After all, Chevy had already been around a few years and was well recognized as an economy brand. But no, new is better. Until it isn't.

The final straw for me was Hummer. Yet another brand with stand alone dealerships selling a crude military style vehicle (H1) backed up by an overly large (H2) supposedly offroad capable monster with less storage room than a Gen 6 Camaro. How on Earth did supposedly intelligent investors sink so much money in trying to sell a limited lineup of fad vehicles? Reminds me of the Scotch Tape Store on Saturday Night Live. Once again, GM didn't ask me. If they had, I would have suggested putting them in GMC dealerships to help mitigate potential losses. But then how could I even have such audacity as to question brilliant decisions like these?

Anyway, I'm certain GM has learned some valuable lessons and won't repeat these mistakes.

Wait till next year.
    Last edited by IROCNROL1; 01-08-2020 at 08:52 AM.
    It sounded pretty good until I actually said it.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to IROCNROL1 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (01-06-2020),Ed753 (01-06-2020),Juche (01-06-2020),Mr.Buttons (01-07-2020),Neanderthal (01-06-2020),ryannel2003 (01-06-2020),Tiocfaidh ar la (01-07-2020)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,589 Times in 3,671 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Mark Phelan is on point

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,725 Times in 2,415 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Quote Originally Posted by IROCNROL1 View Post
    I started to post this link yesterday but decided to leave it to the professionals. At one time, long ago, I was actually one of those guys who said "Wait till next year." concerning GM's comeback. I really thought it was going to happen at some point. The Gen 3 Camaro was first to give me pause.

Then GM flat out stated they couldn't compete with foreign companies building economy cars. Their solution? Saturn. Adding yet another division to an already bloated portfolio of brands. IMHO, the money would have been better spent giving Chevrolet those resources. After all, Chevy had already been around a few years and was well recognized as an econnomy brand. But no, new is better. Until it isn't.

The final straw for me was Hummer. Yet another brand with stand alone dealerships selling a crude military style vehicle (H1) backed up by an overly large (H2) supposedly offroad capable monster with less storage room than a Gen 6 Camaro. How on Earth did supposedly intelligent investors sink so much money in trying to sell a limited lineup of fad vehicles? Reminds me of the Scotch Tape Store on Saturday Night Live. Once again, GM didn't ask me. If they had, I would have suggested putting them in GMC dealerships to help mitigate potential losses. But then how could I even have such audacity as to question brilliant decisions like these?

Anyway, I'm certain GM has learned some valuable lessons and won't repeat these mistakes.

Wait till next year.
    Mistake, rinse, repeat. Mistake, rinse, repeat.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

Ed753 (01-06-2020),IROCNROL1 (01-06-2020),Mr.Buttons (01-07-2020),Neanderthal (01-06-2020)

ksr
    Thanks

Then GM flat out stated they couldn't compete with foreign companies building economy cars. Their solution? Saturn. Adding yet another division to an already bloated portfolio of brands. IMHO, the money would have been better spent giving Chevrolet those resources. After all, Chevy had already been around a few years and was well recognized as an econnomy brand. But no, new is better. Until it isn't.

Wait till next year.
    I've got a book here that I originally bought for my late father. It's called "Cadillac, The Enduring Legend." Published in 1989. It's one of those coffee table sort of books that you see at the front of a Barnes and Noble (probably bought at Walden Books back then).

The last chapter talks of Cadillac's then-recent struggles with quality and downsizing and lookalike models. The next-to-last paragraph says that Chuck Jordan, GM's chief of styling, was said to have said that 1992 would be the year that all of GM's divisions were once again distinct and instantly recognizable from each other.

The final paragraph contains this:

"Gradual improvements in all areas, including quality, are Cadillac's plans for the next couple of seasons. In 1992, in its ninetieth year, Cadillac intends to be unequivocally the "Standard of the World" once again."

I read that in 1989 or 1990 and, when 1992 rolled around, the new Seville/STS and Eldorado actually did seem like there was some truth to it. STS made just about everyone's list of best cars. The design and engineering and success of those cars should have resulted in more models like them, particularly a smaller, 3 Series competitor. But Cadillac quickly rested on those laurels and stagnated again.

Nonetheless, reviving Hummer is the answer to nothing.
    Last edited by ksr; 01-06-2020 at 09:54 AM.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ksr For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (01-06-2020),IROCNROL1 (01-06-2020),Neanderthal (01-06-2020)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,709 Times in 4,657 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by Perian View Post
    REPEATING:

Amazing editorial, right on point.

Take the Hummer investment and continue to improve Cadillac. Where the hell is the Cadillac version of the Tesla Model 3? Let's go guys (and gals), there is much work to be done.

It's 2020; No one needs a new Hummer.

Good point about the target market hating Hummer type critters. Pious drivers don't normally "trade up" to Hummahs. OTOH, people like Aaahnold apparently trade down the other way. Or up. Or however he sees it. He likes Greta, he'll do anything for his hero.

Wait till next year.
    Yeah! Just you wait! And nobody better let Mary hear about this travesty, she could cancel all of GM's subscriptions to USA TODAY.

Quote Originally Posted by 1958carnut View Post
    Mistake, rinse, repeat. Mistake, rinse, repeat.
    Yes we can.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

IROCNROL1 (01-06-2020),Mr.Buttons (01-07-2020)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6 tripowergto Jan2003's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 537 Posts

Can't we just bring back a small lineup of RWD Pontiac's instead? EV can be optional.
    2018 Hot Wheels 2SS Camaro Conv ~ 2016 2LT Corvette 7spd ~ 2017 Camaro RS V6 6spd ~ 2014 Chevy Volt(traded) ~ 2009 Pontiac G8 GT ~ 2002 Firebird Formula 6spd

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tripowergto Jan2003 For This Useful Post:

JTWard1951 (01-09-2020),StarCruiser (01-11-2020)

ksr
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tripowergto Jan2003 View Post
    Can't we just bring back a small lineup of RWD Pontiac's instead? EV can be optional.
    Better idea than Hummer and I'd be all for it. But it won't happen. Much as I hate to say it, Pontiac being my favorite brand, but GM doesn't need another brand.

Although is adding another brand really a big drag on resources? Even when they still had Pontiac, it was in shared dealerships with GMC and Buick, so axing it completely never made any sense to me. It could have been maintained even with one model, like a GTO or Firebird. A relaunch wouldn't have to mean new dealerships.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to ksr For This Useful Post:

StarCruiser (01-11-2020)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6 tripowergto Jan2003's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 537 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ksr View Post
    Better idea than Hummer and I'd be all for it. But it won't happen. Much as I hate to say it, Pontiac being my favorite brand, but GM doesn't need another brand.

Although is adding another brand really a big drag on resources? Even when they still had Pontiac, it was in shared dealerships with GMC and Buick, so axing it completely never made any sense to me. It could have been maintained even with one model, like a GTO or Firebird. A relaunch wouldn't have to mean new dealerships.
    Agreed on all counts. As unlikely as any Pontiac return may be, it's still more rational then bringing Hummer back.
    2018 Hot Wheels 2SS Camaro Conv ~ 2016 2LT Corvette 7spd ~ 2017 Camaro RS V6 6spd ~ 2014 Chevy Volt(traded) ~ 2009 Pontiac G8 GT ~ 2002 Firebird Formula 6spd

27. The Following User Says Thank You to tripowergto Jan2003 For This Useful Post:

StarCruiser (01-11-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Cadillac CTSV

8-9 years ago GM could have licensed or sold the Hummer brand to the Chinese where Hummer had achieved cult status. They passed on it with the idea that they could hold it in their back pocket and use it as a sub-brand for a GMC model such as a hybrid or BEV. I'm sorry but the Hummer brand is now way passed the best sell by date and deserves to remain in the dust bin of history.

29. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rumpole For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (01-06-2020),canadian.bacon (01-06-2020),Ed753 (01-06-2020),ksr (01-06-2020),Mr.Buttons (01-07-2020),Neanderthal (01-06-2020),Tiocfaidh ar la (01-07-2020)

30. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information