Viva Gran Turismo!

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Viva Gran Turismo!

GMI Contributor Premium Member Ming's Avatar
    Thanks

Viva Gran Turismo!

Viva Gran Turismo!
    The Motley Fool
    By Jeff Hwang
    February 23, 2005

You might call it an import tuner's game, and you wouldn't be far from the truth. But at the heart of it, this is a pure car guy's game, and there is no rival.

After months and months and a year of delays, Sony's PlayStation 2-exclusive Gran Turismo 4 is finally here. GT4 -- the "real driving simulator" -- is the game that sells more PS2s and $150 racing controllers than any other. More than Take-Two Interactive's Grand Theft Auto and Konami's Metal Gear Solid -- games that have debuted on the PS2 long before being ported to other systems -- GT4 is the reason that Microsoft absolutely needs Halo.

The latest Gran Turismo offers more than 500 real car models of all varieties spanning the last 120 years (not a typo!), dating back to the 1886 Daimler Motor Carriage and 1886 Benz Patent Motor Wagon, and going forward to the new turbocharged 2005 Mazdaspeed 6 (sold as the Atenza in Japan), as well as several concept cars. Along with its usual stable of several generations of Japanese sports cars, GT4 will be the first in the series to include the BMW M3, referred to by some as the world standard for FR (front engine, rear wheel drive) sports cars. The new generation Ford Mustang and the Ford GT supercar also make their debuts, as does General Motors' new generation (2004) Pontiac GTO.

And with the growing popularity of the JGTC (the Japanese equivalent of NASCAR) -- which was brought on U.S. soil for the first time this past December -- the game features an expanded lineup of JGTC race cars, generally considered to be the fastest grand touring cars in the world. Import tuning fans will also appreciate cars from Japan's most famous tuning shops, including Amuse, Mine's, Spoon, and RE Amemiya.

In addition to realistic driving physics, what has set the Gran Turismo series apart since its inception is the ability to tune and upgrade the vehicles. You can upgrade your car's exhaust system, install a racing ECU, add a turbo, and tune your suspension settings to your liking -- just like in real life.

Racing in GT4 spans more than 50 courses on a wide range of tracks. These include real-world racetracks such as Tsukuba Circuit and Fuji Speedway in Japan, Laguna Seca in California, and Germany's famed Nurburgring. In addition, there are several fantasy tracks based in locations such as the Grand Canyon, New York, Tokyo, and even a drag race on the Las Vegas Strip! Among the usual race modes are off-road rally racing and endurance racing.

Article Source: http://www.fool.com/News/mft/2005/mft05022320.htm

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 giagastormer's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Viva Gran Turismo!

If you can wait, it will be $20 by June.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

I couldn't.

Oh yeah, and the license tests are just as frustratingly hard as always.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Hopefully there is more GM cars in this game than others.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

I just want to hear the game.

One of the biggest pissoffs in GT3 was that a 700hp open header Camaro or even a shelby cobra has the Japanese sound of performance - a lout farting buzz.

I will absolutely not go near this game if the big ole hunks of iron don't sound 100% accurate.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6 DemonKnightDK's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm gonna have to dissagree there.. Halo one for X box is still almost 30bucks... They will milk this game for all its worth. As long as people are buying it for 50, it will sell for 50, once the sales start dropping, they will lower it.

(I'm getting mine tomarrow)
    When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty.
    GB Shaw

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by [Corporal Dan]
    I just want to hear the game.

One of the biggest pissoffs in GT3 was that a 700hp open header Camaro or even a shelby cobra has the Japanese sound of performance - a lout farting buzz.

I will absolutely not go near this game if the big ole hunks of iron don't sound 100% accurate.
    i got it yesterday, they have addressed it. but not to the extent that i would have liked, i think they were more concentrated on the visuals..which are amazing..however, i haven't driven all the older muscle/pony cars yet.

Its worth it. believe me. License tests are just as frustrating, visual quality is incredible, and car selection (while more foreign than domestic) is great. DIDNT SEE A C6 which angers me...but that's what i can say.

Thanks

Forzas better. If you crash you actualy bash up the car. GT must of not been able to get aproval for actual damage.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

S10: That's basically it. If you're pissed about no damage in GT4, blame the lawyers. They're the same people you blame because Porsche, Ferrari and Lamborghini aren't in there either.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Silverado Trail Boss

I blame this game for popularizing the ricer phenominon to the depths of bad taste its currently at.
    "Government at its best is a necessary evil, at its worst it is an intolerable one" - Thomas Paine
    Currenty Ride:
    2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    Previous:
    2009 Volvo C30
    2007 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab LTZ
    2005 Pontiac GTO
    1993 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Thanks

Im not pissed. I just dont understand that when you look at the cover of GT and see "Ultimate Driveing Simulator" I expect to see the whole thing. In Forza you can light up the rear tires and smoke em till they are useless but in GT they spin but you putter forward. I just dont think they did all they could.

Its just to pretty so maby they had to skimp on something so we will never know what the reason was. I just prefer, if i mess up and bang into the wall I want to see with my mess up the rest of the race.

To each is own though and everybody has there own tastes.

BTW Jay Lennos Buick is in GT
    Last edited by S10Blazer; 02-24-2005 at 02:16 AM.

Thanks

Project Gotham (one and two) drives better.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Smilingoat's Avatar
    Thanks

this game was a pretty big disapointement to me, the reason i personally play racing simulators is so i can see in at some degree how a car drives, and with the extensive testing of these cars in GT4 you get the best yet at how these cars really perform. but, again, we find a ratio between american cars and japanese cars to be very bias, im interested in american cars, so out of 700 total cars, why is there only 1 cadillac? and thats a concept car (cein). there are more versions of the nissan 350Z than chevies in the game. and then theres the C6, or should i say lack there of, they have been delaying the game for 2 years, the least they could have done is put in the C6, or even the new Z06 (they were adding new cars up to the last 2 weeks before release).

again, the variety of cars in the game are extreamly limited for the american and european enthusiasts. maybe when forenza (the Xbox simulator) has a sequal we will finally have a game that matches the GT series with some variaty of cars people in the US and europe truely care about.

News Contributor
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smilingoat
    this game was a pretty big disapointement to me, the reason i personally play racing simulators is so i can see in at some degree how a car drives, and with the extensive testing of these cars in GT4 you get the best yet at how these cars really perform. but, again, we find a ratio between american cars and japanese cars to be very bias, im interested in american cars, so out of 700 total cars, why is there only 1 cadillac? and thats a concept car (cein). there are more versions of the nissan 350Z than chevies in the game. and then theres the C6, or should i say lack there of, they have been delaying the game for 2 years, the least they could have done is put in the C6, or even the new Z06 (they were adding new cars up to the last 2 weeks before release).

again, the variety of cars in the game are extreamly limited for the american and european enthusiasts. maybe when forenza (the Xbox simulator) has a sequal we will finally have a game that matches the GT series with some variaty of cars people in the US and europe truely care about.
    You seem to say the same things I am hearing from different people.I am going to be so mad at the game for the biasness,that I will not buy it until the price goes down. This game has had a lot of bad reviews,by that I mean imports out numbering the american cars.That is just messed up.Oh well,I guess I will see what xbox has to offer with the forza.
    Last edited by pupp1; 02-24-2005 at 02:01 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pupp1
    You seem to say the same things I am hearing from different people.I am going to be so mad at the game for the biasness,that I will not buy it until the price goes down. This game has had a lot of bad reviews,by that I mean imports out numbering the american cars.That is just messed up.Oh well,I guess I will see what xbox has to offer with the forenza.
    What Gran Tourismos have you been playing? They have ALWAYS had more japanease cars than any other, reason? BECUASE ITS MADE IN JAPAN!

Sony-Japaneas
    GT4-Japaneas

So, logically, it only makes sence that there are more japanease cars because its made by japanease people for a japanease system, and sold to japanease citizens prior to being ported over here.

It bothers me also, but its not like it hasn't been done before in Gran Tourismo 1, 2, and 3. All of the sudden were pissed off? Get over it already, your not going to get anything even remotely close to it on any other system.

As for crash damage, no car manufactorer wants to see their car messed up, so getting liscenced cars that are willing to be messed up is a tough task. So you can either have real cars, or crash damage...yeah, I'd go with the one they went with.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information