UAW issues response after talks with Detroit Big Three on closing plants

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: UAW issues response after talks with Detroit Big Three on closing plants

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member jzchev28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,474 Times in 1,266 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Silverado LTZ 6.2L

UAW issues response after talks with Detroit Big Three on closing plants

DETROIT, Mich. - The United Auto Workers Union has been urging General Motors, Ford, and Fiat Chrysler to stop production for two weeks in an effort to keep its members safe from the coronavirus.

"As you know, the UAW has strongly requested that the Big 3 automakers cease production for the next two weeks to safeguard our members, the workforce that makes their products and our communities.
    We spent hours tonight in talks with the leadership of the Big 3, demanding that they do the right thing for our members. All three companies have agreed to new measures that will increase adherence to CDC recommendations on social distancing in the workplace. Most importantly, all three companies have agreed to review and implement the rotating partial shutdown of facilities, extensive deep cleaning of facility and equipment between shifts, extended periods between shifts, and extensive plans to avoid member contact. They will be working on shift rotation to minimize risk. The companies have also agreed to work with us in Washington, D.C., on behalf of our members as we manage the disruption in the industry.

Continued at link: https://nbc25news.com/news/coronavir...VsZPnwEDYtQsxg

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 10,659 Times in 5,170 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 CT4-V - Black

Re: UAW issues response after talks with Detroit Big Three on closing plants

Only semi-related as it is a union thing. A friend of mine is a teacher which are unionized in CT. She said she doesn't know how they'll complete they year with losing all of this time. I said simple, summer vacation is gone. Her response was that the union contracts say school has to be out by June 30th and she became pretty uptight at the thought, especially when I said "what is more important, you sitting by the pool or the kid's education?". Bottom line is apparently the pool is more important. She's now mad at me

I sincerely hope her opinion isn't representative of the Connecticut teachers thinking. And if it is and our politicians give in it will truly be a huge travesty.

Though this is disregarding the fact that the coronavirus might still be circulating by summer.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

JimmyDiablo (03-18-2020),jzchev28 (03-18-2020),TruckMan (03-18-2020)

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Kia Soul Turbo/ 2018 CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    Only semi-related as it is a union thing. A friend of mine is a teacher which are unionized in CT. She said she doesn't know how they'll complete they year with losing all of this time. I said simple, summer vacation is gone. Her response was that the union contracts say school has to be out by June 30th and she became pretty uptight at the thought, especially when I said "what is more important, you sitting by the pool or the kid's education?". Bottom line is apparently the pool is more important. She's now mad at me

I sincerely hope her opinion isn't representative of the Connecticut teachers thinking. And if it is and our politicians give in it will truly be a huge travesty.

Though this is disregarding the fact that the coronavirus might still be circulating by summer.
    I hope this is not a common response, but my cousins wife is a teacher and this came up when we saw them the last time a few days ago (and probably the last time for a while). She was telling us about what is going to happen when school is/gets postponed, and when the topic of summer vacation being gone....she right away scoffed at that and said none of the other teachers will agree to that.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mjd1001 For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (03-18-2020)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

CJH
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,894 Times in 1,060 Posts
    My Ride
    Audi S4, Merc GL

We are starting online school in two weeks through the school district with their normal teachers, so I doubt we are going to lose summer vacation.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by CJH Hidden Content
    Don't be loyal to a company, be loyal to good product and service.
    Past Rides:
    Audi A6 4.2L
    QX80 - @Big Salvage Yard in the Sky
    Audi S4 2.7TT
    Durango Limited Hemi 5.7L
    Ford Explorer 5.0L
    Pontiac Grand AM 3.4L
    Chevy Corsica 3.0L
    Toyota Tercel "Turdcel"
    Ford LTD Station Wagon 5.0L "Blue Thunder"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CJH For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (03-18-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2020 CT4-V - Black

Quote Originally Posted by mjd1001 View Post
    I hope this is not a common response, but my cousins wife is a teacher and this came up when we saw them the last time a few days ago (and probably the last time for a while). She was telling us about what is going to happen when school is/gets postponed, and when the topic of summer vacation being gone....she right away scoffed at that and said none of the other teachers will agree to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by CJH View Post
    We are starting online school in two weeks through the school district with their normal teachers, so I doubt we are going to lose summer vacation.
    Sad to hear teachers putting their pool time ahead of the kids.

But good if they can find alternatives!

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 548 Posts
    My Ride
    2001 Trans Am Black

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post

My wife is a NY teacher, the governor will wave the 180 day requirement.

Also they are still teaching, just doing it remotely. She assigns work daily and the students complete it daily, as well as online live Q/A. Same with my kids and their schools, even elementary.
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am
    2016 Chevy SS Sedan
    2017 Chevy Traverse
    2019 Chevy Colorado

Past:
    2016 Chevy Traverse
    2012 Buick Regal GS
    2010 Chevy Traverse
    2003 Cadillac Seville SLS
    2003 Chevy Blazer M5
    1989 Pontiac Firebird

12. The Following User Says Thank You to NHRATA01 For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (03-18-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 Chevy Cruze Premier

Quote Originally Posted by NHRATA01 View Post

Also they are still teaching, just doing it remotely. She assigns work daily and the students complete it daily, as well as online live Q/A. Same with my kids and their schools, even elementary.
    I think the 180 day requirement is a Federal one, not State. They will need to get a waiver from the Feds in order to shorten the School year.
    ------------
    Goochman

2018 Chevy Cruze Premier RS
    2009 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
    2014 Ford Explorer Limited

Thanks
    My Ride
    2020 CT4-V - Black

Quote Originally Posted by NHRATA01 View Post

I'm fine with the online teaching, but this 180 day nonsense has to go. Yes, if they can complete the required curriculum within the 180 days then great, but it drives me nuts to hear that summer break is more important than an education.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information