UAW to Hire Ethics Officer and Implement Rules due to Corruption in its Ranks

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UAW to Hire Ethics Officer and Implement Rules due to Corruption in its Ranks

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

UAW to Hire Ethics Officer and Implement Rules due to Corruption in its Ranks

The acting UAW president is hiring an ethics officer and implementing administrative rules due to corruption in its ranks: https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...er/4180152002/

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 7,920 Times in 3,971 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Re: UAW to Hire Ethics Officer and Implement Rules due to Corruption in its Ranks

If the role is treated with respect within the UAW then it can have some impact as the role should be looking at expenditures and why they are taking place. However, the UAW should already have an internal audit department that should already be doing that....

My gut tells me this is like the mafia installing an ethics director within their organization...

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

eklauss (11-15-2019),TruckMan (11-13-2019)

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Re: UAW to Hire Ethics Officer and Implement Rules due to Corruption in its Ranks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    If the role is treated with respect within the UAW then it can have some impact as the role should be looking at expenditures and why they are taking place. However, the UAW should have an internal audit department that should already be doing that....

My gut tells me this is like the mafia installing an ethics director within their organization...

From afar - it seems as though some UAW members and/or board members realize the union was rife with corruption and theft. I suspect these drastic measures are an attempt to stave-off Federal oversight, similar to what occurred with the Teamster’s Union.

Since the theft and corruption reached the top of the UAW - it will be hard to eliminate the ingrained culture that exists, that permitted the corruption. The ongoing Federal criminal investigations are resulting in numerous convictions and indictments, which will help the UAW weed-out the crooks.

It will be interesting to see if the UAW expels those involved - including those that have already been convicted of crimes.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 1999 White C5 Coupe For This Useful Post:

eklauss (11-15-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 TruckMan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,216 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Sierra Denali 6.2L

A truly ethical person in this role would require the abolishment of the UAW, so obviously this is a fake position.
    GMI Site Rules: 11. "Trolling", or making posts with the sole intention of creating problems on the forums is obviously against the forum guidelines. We define trolling as a member that appears to have the sole purpose of posting just to spite the majority of the site or cause flame wars in threads they participate in. PLEASE respect differing opinions on the site at all times!

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TruckMan For This Useful Post:

gkr778 (11-13-2019),impala02 (11-16-2019),ksr (11-14-2019),Neanderthal (11-13-2019),The Handler (11-13-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,142 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 BMW 320i and '72 Nova

Quote Originally Posted by TruckMan View Post
    A truly ethical person in this role would require the abolishment of the UAW, so obviously this is a fake position.
    +1
    If complete abolition of UAW (which is indeed the ideal solution) doesn't happen, the next best option is for UAW to hire llamas and goats for their entire executive staff. Those critters would behave more "ethically" than the human beings staffing the union's leadership positions currently.
    God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

11. The Following User Says Thank You to gkr778 For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (11-13-2019)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

I feel like if this role is going to actually do something, it would almost have to be an independent consultant/firm hired on to monitor from outside, but not get entangled with the day-to-day within. It needs to have that separation for any chance of making a difference.

I'd say similar to independent auditors, but I've seen how corrupt that arena can be as well...
    Current Vehicles:
    1999 Tahoe 4x4 - daily driver
    1999 Camaro Z28 - bolt-on weekend vehicle
    2015 Equinox LTX - wife's car

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Z Fury For This Useful Post:

eklauss (11-15-2019),TruckMan (11-13-2019)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,684 Times in 4,146 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ha
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ha
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (11-13-2019),gkr778 (11-13-2019),posaune (11-14-2019),TruckMan (11-13-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by 1999 White C5 Coupe View Post
    The acting UAW president is hiring an ethics officer and implementing administrative rules due to corruption in its ranks: https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...er/4180152002/

Thanks for the laffs, C5!

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    If the role is treated with respect within the UAW then it can have some impact as the role should be looking at expenditures and why they are taking place. However, the UAW should already have an internal audit department that should already be doing that....

The fact that there's no existing internal audit or "ethics officer" after all these decades tells my brain all it needs to know. Again. UAW=Organized Crime Family.

Quote Originally Posted by TruckMan View Post
    Lipstick on a pig. Not intended to insult lipstick or pigs. This is like the House Ethics Panel.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

eklauss (11-15-2019)

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    So, does this mean you don’t believe the latest announcements from the UAW will make it squeaky-clean?
    Last edited by 1999 White C5 Coupe; 11-14-2019 at 07:30 AM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to 1999 White C5 Coupe For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (11-14-2019)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar IROCNROL1's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2020 Camaro/next year, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    Lipstick on a pig. Not intended to insult lipstick or pigs.
    Tread lightly here. This comment could be misconstrued as anti multi gender by the PCP. (Politically Correct Police)

Quote Originally Posted by 1999 White C5 Coupe View Post
    So, does this mean you don’t believe the latest announcements from the UAW will make it squeaky-clean?
    Not at all. I'm guessing Neanderthal is just overjoyed by the announcement. He did accidently put in a BS emoji but we all make mistakes.
    It sounded pretty good until I actually said it.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to IROCNROL1 For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (11-14-2019)

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,857 Times in 1,311 Posts

Banner headline: "Former Corporate Governance Watchdog at Enron Hired by UAW"
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ksr For This Useful Post:

eklauss (11-15-2019),Neanderthal (11-14-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by ksr View Post
    Banner headline: "Former Corporate Governance Watchdog at Enron Hired by UAW"
    Or "former Senate Ethics Committee Chairman hired..." or "Former House Ethics Committee Chairman hired..."

These guys should go on late night TV. They could replace the Jimmys or Four Eyes With Slick Hair because none of them are nearly as funny as this thread is.

Thanks again for making my day, as Inspector Callahan once said.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 CaptainDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,341 Times in 711 Posts

Because it was from a lack of training .... a lack of clear rules.

So it's not THEIR fault.

They didn't know that you shouldn't steal.

So, the UAW management creates a new position (executive level salary paid by your union dues) to tell the other union officers that they shouldn't steal.

Just theft of a (slightly) different type.
    Last edited by CaptainDan; 11-15-2019 at 01:37 PM.
    '16 Chevy SS
    a 4 door Camaro

Chevrolet VOLT Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,548 Times in 2,310 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels
    Like putting whipped cream on a dog turd,
    it’s hard to hide the true substance underneath

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

After the plant closures, ****ty deals (and now this) you still believe GM and UAW want to do the little guy any good, you are an idiot and you deserve it.

28. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information