Uaw, gm open 2019 contract talks - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Uaw, gm open 2019 contract talks

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,495 Times in 3,153 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Equinox V6| 2013 Traverse

Re: Uaw, gm open 2019 contract talks

Trailblazer is not selling, Mexico has something to do with it

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,297 Times in 2,178 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

The very least GM should be doing is bringing all of its high profit full sized truck production back to the USA. They can argue all they like about slender margins on smaller cars and Utes but when it comes to truck production, there's no place to hide, those jobs should be stateside.

Take inspiration from JFK's speech,
    We choose to go to the Moon...We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard; because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one we intend to win, and the others, too
    Last edited by jpd80; 07-21-2019 at 04:00 AM.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Clownzilla's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joey View Post
    GM is employing unionized South Koreans. Does that make it any different? Why build there if they don't buy there. I get their stupid thinking that China means millions of sales (Until China tosses them out.) GM pulled out of Australia, India, Russia and the EU. Pull out of South Korea. They probably won't because they're in bed with LG, since GM doesn't know how to build a battery or electric motors for EV's.
    I'm thinking more on the end of practicality and not necessarily unionization. Lordstown is tooled to build vehicles GM is discontinuing and it seems like GM has enough capacity in vehicles they sell after expansions at other US plants. It's not good for people losing their jobs but keeping excess capacity in dying segments is tough to do. However, I do think GM is making a mistake by dropping cars and going 110% on SUV's but the factory decisions make sense when their goal is to drops a large portion of their cars.
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Current Vehicles:

2017 Buick Lacrosse

2017 Buick Envision

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Clownzilla View Post
    I'm thinking more on the end of practicality and not necessarily unionization. Lordstown is tooled to build vehicles GM is discontinuing and it seems like GM has enough capacity in vehicles they sell after expansions at other US plants. It's not good for people losing their jobs but keeping excess capacity in dying segments is tough to do. However, I do think GM is making a mistake by dropping cars and going 110% on SUV's but the factory decisions make sense when their goal is to drops a large portion of their cars.
    While I'm not an auto plant engineer, it does make sense to close a plant if none of it's equipment can be used on future models. Might make more economic sense to expand other plants then gut the entire Lordstown plant. But the VSS-F platform is the bases for the micro CUV's and future EV cars/CUV's. So I don't get the "Lordstown was only built for small cars" line. Oshawa is being turned into a parts plant. GM's Korea sales are just a hundred cars a month. Why bother making the TRAX and Encore there? China doesn't import the TRAX. they build their own locally.

It just seems like GM is more worried about Mexican workers: As soon as the Cruze was killed in Mexico, the Blazer was put there. Blazer sales at 12K for the first 1/2 year is not great. I'm sure basing it out of Mexico is part of the problem.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information