GM Inside News Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

UAW Asks GM to Shut Down Texas SUV Plant as Covid Cases Soar

5K views 44 replies 17 participants last post by  Diego 
#1 ·
#2 ·
"Confirmed Covid-19 cases in Texas have been rising by more than 5,000 a day in recent weeks, and the Lone Star State reported 4,288 new cases yesterday, according to the Texas Department of State Health Services. Cases in Tarrant County, where the plant is located, increased by 393."

(Just a little perspective)

Tarrant County include Dallas and Ft. Worth, county has almost 2 million people................

#4 ·
Just a little more perspective.....

Victoria (state In Australia) has new daily cases of double digits and are mainly located in isolated Melbourne suburbs

Melbourne's population is just under 5 million ......

If Some texas counties are getting cases in the thousands with a population of 2 million you guys have a big problem on your hands

#10 ·
No-worries, as soon as the election is over, it'll be gone ***poof***

Just a little more perspective.....

Victoria (state In Australia) has new daily cases of double digits and are mainly located in isolated Melbourne suburbs

Melbourne's population is just under 5 million ......

If Some texas counties are getting cases in the thousands with a population of 2 million you guys have a big problem on your hands
So your lock-downs and isolation isn't working?

Cases in Tarrant County, where the plant is located, increased by 393
393 cases in DFW area.

What the plant should be talking about is control measures, just like any other job hazard analysis
and work through appropriate control measures, be that masks or down drafts or face shields.
That is exactly how it's been explained and being handled.

yeah very true

but perhaps they're worried about people not conforming ?

I see 2 extreme types of people/ groups around nowdays

Those who believe Covid is all a hoax and those who are scared to death

I sit In the middle I believe there is a danger and the danger is real however I'm taking measures to ensure I'm as protected as I can be

I don't go out at the moment , only go into town when I need to and avoid large groups of people

The problem is the people who don't try to avoid contact and think the whole thing is a hoax - those types are potentially spreading the virus without their knowledge
My thoughts aren't far from yours, but there is a 3rd faction of people, the young, which we've informed with almost 4 months of facts and data.

Young people get sick or don't, but rarely die, so when you open up the bars, you go to the bar!

The key to control is "protecting" in those areas where it is susceptible to spread, or just avoiding those situations, restaurants are pretty-much done-for if you ask me.

#9 ·
yeah very true

but perhaps they're worried about people not conforming ?

I see 2 extreme types of people/ groups around nowdays

Those who believe Covid is all a hoax and those who are scared to death

I sit In the middle I believe there is a danger and the danger is real however I'm taking measures to ensure I'm as protected as I can be

I don't go out at the moment , only go into town when I need to and avoid large groups of people

The problem is the people who don't try to avoid contact and think the whole thing is a hoax - those types are potentially spreading the virus without their knowledge

#14 · (Edited)
The US also has unique challenges compared to most developed nations that doesn't really have much to do with current politics. It's both rich and poor with enormous economic and social inequality with unequal access to healthcare and a very sickened population as a result. The US is the only developed nation with a declining life expectancy for example, which is already considerably lower than Canada just to the North. We were always poised to struggle the most. Politicizing mask wearing certainly doesn't help contain the spread now. It's really just the perfect storm and I think we are losing the plot trying to point fingers. Politics has certainly sickened the US further, making it weaker and weaker and unable to cope with crisis in a unified manner. The US has never done a good job critiquing and solving its own societal problems. Even when they are exposed, we still don't get it and ultimately make no changes.

#17 ·
OTOH, getting back to thread title, if UAW gets a wild hair up their arse and goes on strike...

Are they masked up in this plant? Are they distancing as per SOP? Then how is this spreading?

Or does UAW just want a few weeks of paid leave for free?

#18 ·
I live in Louisiana, Texas's neighbor to the East. Mardi Gras gave us a head start on most other American states. California was first. Washington was second. However, Mardi Gras flooded the streets of the New Orleans French Quarter with revelers. Two weeks later, we were off to a roaring start. For several weeks, we had the highest infection rate on Earth. However, our Governor and most other elected officials fought like Trojans to bring the infection to a heel.

Most of the media attention at the time was going to New York--almost exclusively to New York City. After all, New York is an international capitol of trade and culture. New York City's population is more than double that of the entire State of Louisiana. However, New York came together with its neighboring states of New Jersey and Connecticut to fight COVID-19 on a unified front. When these states announced a plan, usually accompanied by Maryland down the Atlantic Coast, Louisiana made a similar announcement.

It was a difficult fight, but within a few weeks Texas ran us down and zoomed past us in COVID-19 infections--never to look back. Texas was not the only one. When most other American states saw that COVID-19 was getting out of control, Florida's beaches were covered with college students shoulder-to-shoulder in their swimsuits. When Florida infections started to noticeably increase, what was their first response? Nothing. What was their second response? To place a quarantine on visitors from New York and then a quarantine on visitors from Louisiana.

We had been fighting COVID-19 with everything we had. They had been lounging on the beach. Yet they blamed us for their infections. Texas followed a similar strategy. After months of doing nothing, they implemented a quarantine on Louisiana visitors. Eventually, both Florida and Texas relented and announced social distancing, but that lasted for a hot minute in each state. I have not not visited Florida recently, but my visit to Texas showed me that Texas business owners, at least, were not nearly as stupid. During a stop for lunch at a fast food restaurant, I was pleased to see that the restaurant continued its ban on dine-in sales.

The United States and South Korea both had their first COVID-19 cases on the same day. South Korea has wrestled the pandemic to the ground. Where is the United States? The United States has lost more fatalities to the pandemic than we lost to combat and disease in World War I. At its peak, New York suffered 5,000 new cases of COVID-19 per day. As of this writing, Florida is suffering about 10,000 new cases per day--twice that of New York at its worst. And Texas? Texas is suffering more than 8,000 new cases per day. This is better than Florida, but it is a disaster by any rational assessment. It is a disaster every day.

And, the real tragedy is that Houston, Texas has the largest health science center on Earth. To his credit, Texas Governor Gregory Abbott has finally started to take the pandemic seriously. He is reversing his previous lackadaisical approach to the pandemic. The governor of Florida is taking a more serious approach, as well. The governors may have seen the errors of their ways, but not all politicians are so enlightened.

Weeks ago, Texas Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick said: "There are worst things than death." Now that the Governor is singing a different tune, Patrick is fit to be tied. You can't fix stupid.

Unfortunately, Darwin can.

#30 ·
I'm guessing Door #3. Call me a cynic. Because I am one. For good reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.