GM Inside News Forum banner

Steve Carlisle Appointed Executive Vice President and President, GM North America

5K views 37 replies 22 participants last post by  Neanderthal 
#1 · (Edited)
Steve Carlisle Appointed Executive Vice President and President, GM North America
General Motors
July 8, 2020

Barry Engle leaving GM to pursue new leadership opportunities. Rory Harvey appointed vice president, Cadillac Sales, Service and Marketing

Steve Carlisle, executive vice president and president, North America, effective Sept. 1

Rory Harvey has been appointed vice president, Cadillac Sales, Service and Marketing

DETROIT – General Motors Co. (NYSE: GM) today announced the appointment of Steve Carlisle, 58, as executive vice president and president, North America, effective Sept. 1. He has been senior vice president and president, Cadillac, since April 2018.

With Carlisle’s appointment, GM will have one sales, service and marketing leader across its full portfolio of automotive and connected services brands in North America, including Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, Cadillac, OnStar, ACDelco and GM Genuine Parts. He will report to GM President Mark Reuss.

“Steve will help us scale the considerable transformation progress we have been making, while at the same time preserving the sufficient autonomy necessary to maintain four distinct vehicle brands,” said GM Chairman and CEO Mary Barra. “This role will build on Steve’s progressive leadership within GM, particularly over the past two years at Cadillac. This change will also improve the collaboration and decision-making that fuel innovation.”

Before joining Cadillac, Carlisle had been president and managing director, GM Canada, since November 2014. Born and raised in Woodstock, Ontario, Carlisle began his GM career in 1982 as an industrial engineering co-op student at the Oshawa Truck Assembly Plant.

Over the course of his career with GM, Carlisle has held senior leadership positions, including vice president, Global Product Planning and Program Management, 2010-2014; vice president, U.S. Sales Operations, 2010; and president and managing director, Southeast Asia Operations, 2007-2010.

Leading Cadillac’s global operations on a day-to-day basis will be Rory Harvey, 52, who is appointed vice president, Cadillac Sales, Service and Marketing, reporting to Carlisle. Harvey joined Cadillac in March 2018 as vice president, Cadillac North America Sales, Service and Marketing.

Prior to that, he was chairman and managing director of Vauxhall Motors in the U.K. Throughout his more than 30 years with GM, Harvey has held a variety of positions in Europe and the Middle East.

“Rory has been one of the chief architects of Cadillac’s brand strategy, working with Steve,” Barra said. “He has a strong commitment to Cadillac, its dealers and customers, so we will have great continuity as Steve takes on broader responsibilities.”

Carlisle succeeds Barry Engle, 56, who is leaving GM to pursue leadership opportunities that leverage his broad executive expertise in a variety of industries.

“Barry has been a strong contributor to our transformation efforts – first in South America, then more broadly across all operations outside North America and China, and ultimately running North America,” said Barra. “The cumulative impact of his efforts over the past five years leave us fundamentally better positioned to deliver on the vision of zero crashes, zero emissions and zero congestion.”

Engle served as executive vice president and president, GM North America since November 2019, and as executive vice president and president, Americas, from April through October 2019.

He joined GM as executive vice president and president, South America, in September 2015. In October 2017 he was appointed executive vice president and president, International, and his responsibilities expanded to include all operations outside of North America and China.

See less See more
#4 ·
“Steve will help us scale the considerable transformation progress we have been making, while at the same time preserving the sufficient autonomy necessary to maintain four distinct vehicle brands,” said GM Chairman and CEO Mary Barra. “This role will build on Steve’s progressive leadership within GM, particularly over the past two years at Cadillac. This change will also improve the collaboration and decision-making that fuel innovation.”

I am so glad I don't speak in bureaucratese mumbo-jumbo jabberwokkie. As LBJ used to say, it's a turrible thing. Turruble.

#5 ·
+1
At least Barra didn't say "zero, zero, zero".

Ah, never mind:
Mary Barra said:
“The cumulative impact of his efforts over the past five years leave us fundamentally better positioned to deliver on the vision of zero crashes, zero emissions and zero congestion.”

#11 ·
Come on Steve is just "Letting Cadillac be Cadillac" ;).

Can't wait to see what other fruit falls outta Old Steve's bu...I mean tree.

I wasn't aware that you can be both President and Vice President....is that really a thing in the CEO world?

I'm assuming when Vice President Steve drops the ball President Steve will be yelling at him?....How will that look and sound in his office?

#13 ·
"...With Carlisle’s appointment, GM will have one sales, service and marketing leader across its full portfolio of automotive and connected services brands in North America, including Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, Cadillac, OnStar, ACDelco and GM Genuine Parts. He will report to GM President Mark Reuss.."

So, if I read this press release correctly, mediocrity will now report to Mediocrity [who ultimately reports to MEDIOCRITY].

For the past 30+ years of following this once-glorious American corporate icon, I am amazed at the consistently shallow talent pool that GM has managed to cull. Navigate to GM's website to witness the "Storied 20" who drive this corporation. From Executive Vice Presidents to Chief Officers, it illustrates clearly the story of industry-average margins despite claims of "shrinking to profitability." It explains the lack of vision when it comes to accurately predicting the direction of the automobile industry, be it in a full complement of timely [highly profitable] luxury SUV's or the premium customers are willing to pay for fine interior design and materials selection. It explains the defection of truly progressive managers, and it simultaneously explains the inability to attract inspired outsiders to truly innovate when innovation is necessary. It explains quite a bit.

Instead, the Peter Principle is firmly entrenched at the "technology company" we all know and love as GM... (Of course, I get that the Peter Principle assumes someone was actually once competent at something, but you get the idea!).

#15 ·
Well, now I guess finally he will let GM be GM.

#17 ·
WTF is executive vp + president all about? Does the Genial Motors infrastructure schlubbery not know the function of a VP? Or is this just about collecting two paychecks, when perhaps one would be overpayment?

Enquiring minds want to know.

#22 ·
Thank you for the welcome, vanshmack, but I never left! I check nearly daily, but typically find that many here articulate my thoughts more clearly or more quickly, so I don't usually post. With this thread, though, I absolutely couldn't stop myself for some reason... I blame it on 'Rona!

Speaking of which, I hope you and your family are well, taking thoughtful, deliberate action to balance socializing and living with taking appropriate precautions for the people around you... Actually, I can think of many people on this site for whom I'd wish the same and to whom I would send positive, healthy thoughts!

Well, maybe not Neanderthal; I don't much like him (I know you know I'm teasing you, Neanderthal! :) ).

Be well, vanshmack!

Oh, and perhaps posting a quick pic of your 2020 GMC Sierra Elevation might be nice... I bet it's hot!

#38 ·
Ask the man on the street and he'll say GM is a car company. Or maybe a truck company. Possibly one in 1000, maybe 1 in 10,000, will say, "Oh yeah! GM! The technology company!" The bottom line is GM is a car company. A speech by GMary will not change anything.

Execs like GMary speak multisyllabic gobbledygook all the time. Likely it's only other high class execs who believe such drivel. :drive:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.