GM Inside News Forum banner

Shoppers Choose 10-best Road Trip Vehicles; Suburban, Acadia Make the List

4K views 44 replies 34 participants last post by  AndrewGS 
#1 ·
Editors of Kelley Blue Book's kbb.com Choose 10 Great New Road Trip Cars, Shoppers Rank Top Choices
5/21/07
prnewswire.com

Rank Vehicle
1 Jaguar XKR Convertible
2 BMW 3-Series Convertible
3 Chevrolet Suburban
4 Dodge Charger SRT8
5 Mercedes-Benz E320 BLUETEC(R)
6 GMC Acadia
7 Land Rover LR3
8 Ford Edge
9 MINI Cooper
10 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Hardtop

Chevrolet Suburban -- For really big road trips, the strapping Suburban
is the hauler of choice. Load it up with nine people, and Chevy's
family-style workhorse still has room for 45.8 cubic feet of gear. Combine
that kind of space with a maximum towing capacity of 9,700 pounds and
you've got a vehicle that can do the work of three.

GMC Acadia -- A three-row troop transport that's more stylish than a
minivan and more efficient than a full-size SUV, the GMC Acadia is
attractive and comfortable inside and has excellent road manners to boot.
Along with its cousins -- the Saturn Outlook, forthcoming Buick Enclave and
a yet unnamed Chevrolet version -- we expect the Acadia to become a common sight on road trips around the country.
Full Article: http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/05-21-2007/0004592218&EDATE=

See less See more
#4 ·
I wouldn't mind taking any of those vehicles on a road trip. :)

My brother in law in Georgia wants to buy an Altima Hybrid, but they're not sold in Georgia. I offered to pick one up for him in NJ and deliver it...and I'd probably be going solo! That would be a heck of a road trip. :D But he hasn't decided for sure if he wants to do it.

#6 ·
ronald mcretard said:
How in the hell did the Mini Cooper make the list? Did they survey people that are 4 feet tall?
That was for Ogre's & Trolls and whatever that guy on Lord of the Ring was.

#8 ·
jbartley said:
Mini cooper? Miata? 3-series coupe?

(a) can we say cramped?
(b) and if i'm on a road trip, i don't want to feel like i'm going to be run over by a truck?
(b) can we say cramped back-seat? no thanks.

were some of these cars picked for midget road trips?
No, they were picked because not everone is six-foot something, needs to drive something big and bulky to make them feel safe or needs a backseat to haul around a handful of friends..........:rolleyes:

#13 ·
ronald mcretard said:
How in the hell did the Mini Cooper make the list? Did they survey people that are 4 feet tall?
Actually, I'm 6'5", and have PLENTY of room in a Mini:) . Granted, no one could sit behind me, but Minis have a ton of room for bigger folks. Now the Miata, on the other hand...:rolleyes:

#15 ·
Where's the Ford Expedition EL? I'm really warming up to it, and I'm surprised it didn't make the list.

#17 ·
Well, this is coincidental 'cause I'm taking the Acadia on a road trip all next week. I'm going back to Colorado, up to Wyoming and who knows where else. :)

I can attest to the Suburban being perfect for long trips too because I've taken lots of trips in several different Suburbans. One thing they don't mention is the off-roadablilty that's great for driving backroads, trails, snow and on beaches.

As for the small cars, I found the Cobalt SS makes a heck of a fun and comfortable road trip car. Big trunk, smooth ride, comfy seats, great handling, great fuel economy and washes well in a gas station car wash. :)

#20 ·
I love how well it seems the Arcadia is being received by the public! I have seen lots of Arcadias and Outlooks on my commute to & from work. Hopefully GM has a huge winner here.

#22 ·
SigEpCutlass said:
I love how well it seems the Arcadia is being received by the public! I have seen lots of Arcadias and Outlooks on my commute to & from work. Hopefully GM has a huge winner here.
It's Acadia ;)

#24 ·
A roadtrip doesn't neccesarily have to be packing 4 kids into the car and driving across the U.S for summer vacation. It could be as simple as an afternoon, a day or weekend trip to the country.

Those of you who think sports cars/sports coupes shouldn't be on the list are delusional. GM scores two vehicles on the list and instead of being happy the bias and hatred of all other makes rears it's ugly head once again.

#26 ·
Sinner said:
A roadtrip doesn't neccesarily have to be packing 4 kids into the car and driving across the U.S for summer vacation. It could be as simple as an afternoon, a day or weekend trip to the country.

Those of you who think sports cars/sports coupes shouldn't be on the list are delusional. GM scores two vehicles on the list and instead of being happy the bias and hatred of all other makes rears it's ugly head once again.
Not bashing. Just questioning the criteria. Suburban and Mini couldn't be more dissimilar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.