Ruess comments on C8 Corvette encrypted ECU - Page 4

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ruess comments on C8 Corvette encrypted ECU

Z28
    2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

Re: Ruess comments on C8 Corvette encrypted ECU

Better encryption such as for C8 ECU was indeed inevitable to protect intellectual property. Auto industry has been very slow to deploy strong encryption for ECUs and other software. If you think all encryption is hackable, try hacking digital-cable's 20-year-old encryption techniques to get free HBO and see how far you get.

Boasting/threatening/taunting about committing federal cybercrimes seems non-boring but unwise. This could be a good time for our hackers to re-review the Bill Shatner SNL skit where he addresses trekkies.

fb1, what is the new vehicle you are planning to buy next? Removing the onstar transponder board before leaving dealership lot is awesome and legendary. Please videotape/share if convenient - it may go viral. Also please include that first-call to onstar with the salesperson when the onstar person tries to get you to sign up. I would pity the onstar rep who takes that call, but they have already heard everything and are inevitably super-nice and jovial about everything.

btw, when i drove CTS-Vs at Monticello track in NY, at least one driver got the undesirable badly-timed call from onstar asking if he had been in an accident. I recall the track staff saying those calls were not uncommon. That one day the call was reportedly triggered by a deceleration sensor exceeding alarm threshold while we excercised the CTS-V's astonishing braking capabilities. Zero airbags deployed.
    Last edited by Z28; 06-09-2019 at 03:46 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    GMC Sierra/2014/Summit White

Re: Ruess comments on C8 Corvette encrypted ECU

Quote Originally Posted by fastbal1 View Post
    Well since I'll never own an automatic transmission even semi-autonomous is out for me. If I have to keep the last manual on earth till I die I'll do that before driving an automatic.
    I plan to keep my Camaro until I die or total it. I will also make sure I always own a truck that I can drive myself. I don’t want any vehicles with capability to do anything for me. It’s bad enough that my wife has her phone synced to the Jeep and it shuts off the radio to answer the call. If there’s a good song on it pisses me off to no end...
    Daily Driver:
    2014 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT RS / Crystal Red Tint
    - 3.6 V6 / 6MT

Wife’s Ride:
    2017 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk / Jetset Blue
    - 2.4l tigershark / 9AT

Weekend Warrior:
    2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT / Summit White
    - 6.2 Ecotec III / 6 AT
    - Crew Cab / Standard Bed
    - 2 inch coil spacers / Zone AAL / BfGoodrich All-Terrain KO2 / Ranch Sierra Cap

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information