Ruess comments on C8 Corvette encrypted ECU - Page 3

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ruess comments on C8 Corvette encrypted ECU

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: Ruess comments on C8 Corvette encrypted ECU

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    So what if they collect data....

And that's exactly what they like, people like you.

They don't like people like me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,256 Times in 631 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fastbal1 View Post
    And that's exactly what they like, people like you.

They don't like people like me.
    I'd like to dig deeper into this mindset if you don't mind because i've always had some sort of curiosity in regards to Americans that think like this. What exactly is your endgame with this...are you just happy w/ "them" hating "people like you"? What is your perceived gain by "shutting out" "big brother"? Do you watch OTA TV w/ an antennae, are your computers air gapped? Do you keep money stuffed in a mattress? Do you have a social media acct? So I'm assuming you live off the grid as well...are you logged in at the library on a shared computer in "incognito mode"? I just want to get a little insight into how far are you willing to go to remain anonymous. Because if you don't do all of these, they have enough data on you already so it's all a waste of your time.

Also, I think it'll be a great idea to bring a screwdriver w/ you when you purchase to remove the board...You should also go for the coup de gras and put a piece of aluminum foil over the XM antennae just to make sure.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,618 Times in 1,161 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

the NEW generation Uconnect has OTA capability and the forums are full of people that have had there sound quality messed up because of a BAD OTA update and FCA wont/cant stop the OTA rollout affecting more and more radios

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000 View Post
    the NEW generation Uconnect has OTA capability and the forums are full of people that have had there sound quality messed up because of a BAD OTA update and FCA wont/cant stop the OTA rollout affecting more and more radios
    And that's another thing - if it ain't broke don't fix it!

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    I'd like to dig deeper into this mindset if you don't mind because i've always had some sort of curiosity in regards to Americans that think like this. What exactly is your endgame with this...are you just happy w/ "them" hating "people like you"? What is your perceived gain by "shutting out" "big brother"? Do you watch OTA TV w/ an antennae, are your computers air gapped? Do you keep money stuffed in a mattress? Do you have a social media acct? So I'm assuming you live off the grid as well...are you logged in at the library on a shared computer in "incognito mode"? I just want to get a little insight into how far are you willing to go to remain anonymous. Because if you don't do all of these, they have enough data on you already so it's all a waste of your time.

Also, I think it'll be a great idea to bring a screwdriver w/ you when you purchase to remove the board...You should also go for the coup de gras and put a piece of aluminum foil over the XM antennae just to make sure.
    You completely miss the difference between your cell phone and your car.

First off, for a car like the Camaro SS and higher trims, and all Corvettes, take it to a track and pull some serious G's on the turns, and OnStar WILL be calling. It's not only air bag deployment that triggers OnStar calling, it's also the accelerometer reading. It has absolutely, factually happened. Because the accelerometer in the car thinks it's been in an accident when strong enough g forces are pulled in high speed tight cornering maneuvers. Of which the Camaro SS, straight from the factory, is definitely capable of doing.

Besides why should your car communicate with ANYTHING? What is that all about? Why do you encourage that? A car is meant for driving, for transportation. Not to go online and be connected to the web. You get in, you drive. Focus. That's it. End of story. End of arguments. You're done with everything when you get into a car to drive. Turn on the radio or listen to your iPod and that's it.

This notion that cars need to be just as connected as your cell phone is absolutely stupid. It's a trucking car!

And no, I'm not covering my antenna because I like satellite radio. But they can only tell I am listening to them on my car's radio, they can't see vehicle dynamics.
    Last edited by fastbal1; 06-06-2019 at 12:34 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to fastbal1 For This Useful Post:

Mr.Buttons (06-06-2019)

Thanks

First off, for a car like the Camaro SS and higher trims, and all Corvettes, take it to a track and pull some serious G's on the turns, and OnStar WILL be calling. It's not only air bag deployment that triggers OnStar calling, it's also the accelerometer reading. It has absolutely, factually happened. Because the accelerometer in the car thinks it's been in an accident when strong enough g forces are pulled in high speed tight cornering maneuvers. Of which the Camaro SS, straight from the factory, is definitely capable of doing.

Besides why should your car communicate with ANYTHING? What is that all about? Why do you encourage that? A car is meant for driving, for transportation. Not to go online and be connected to the web. You get in, you drive. Focus. That's it. End of story. End of arguments. You're done with everything when you get into a car to drive. Turn on the radio or listen to your iPod and that's it.

This notion that cars need to be just as connected as your cell phone is absolutely stupid. It's a trucking car!

And no, I'm not covering my antenna because I like satellite radio. But they can only tell I am listening to them on my car's radio, they can't see vehicle dynamics.
    I can't drive my phone??!?!?! I guess I've been using it wrong all this time. I can talk on my car though, so that's probably why i got confused.

Yeah...that happened because the accelorometer returned a false return of a rear end car accident...you know to call for help in case the driver was incapacitated. that is the only time where on star interrupted, if you have an example of OnStar calling because of lateral Gs...please post it because i've never seen or heard of that. Anyway, all of this connectivity was bound to happen and I don't care that it is happening one way or another, it has zero effect on my life.
    Last edited by sdotjeezy; 06-06-2019 at 03:56 PM.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 RamJet502's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2001 Chevy Silverado

Meh, the new Duramax was supposedly "unhackable" - it's not. It did turn a $500 modification into a $4,000 modification but it still can be done.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2001 Trans Am Black

There's like one document instance of OnStar false-ing for an accident while on a track. I'm sure there's more than a few of them getting emergency response personnel to an accident of an incapacitated person. There have been plenty of 5th and 6th gens run on a track without triggering OnStar so it's a bit absurd to say they WILL be calling.

You don't happen to heed those buy gold commercials that used to run on The Blaze channel, do you?
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am
    2016 Chevy SS Sedan
    2017 Chevy Traverse

Past:
    2016 Chevy Traverse
    2012 Buick Regal GS
    2010 Chevy Traverse
    2003 Cadillac Seville SLS
    2003 Chevy Blazer M5
    1989 Pontiac Firebird

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NHRATA01 For This Useful Post:

Rumpole (06-07-2019),sdotjeezy (06-06-2019)

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    CTS-Vagon/11/BD Vette/16/blk

Quote Originally Posted by pontiacgt02 View Post
    People bitch and moan about what GM is doing but have their life on their cellphones which is way worse. You phone is open to the world a lot more than your car is including you computer. Going forward with more autonomous cars is going to make them more and more connected to the manufactures system. I for one don't believe full autonomous will be mainstream. It will only be viable in big cities. Otherwise most people will still be driving their cars.
    Funny that, I was at the vet yesterday for some major issues and googled on my phone some of the drugs they were prescribing for my dog. I put in the letters gab and tra and both gave correct full spellings for the drugs I was going to look for. A little disturbing. Oh, and I'd never looked (or even heard of one of the drugs) before in my life.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vagon11 View Post
    Funny that, I was at the vet yesterday for some major issues and googled on my phone some of the drugs they were prescribing for my dog. I put in the letters gab and tra and both gave correct full spellings for the drugs I was going to look for. A little disturbing. Oh, and I'd never looked (or even heard of one of the drugs) before in my life.
    It happens to me all the damn time, I just accept it as being convenient and carry on. Google knows all...just sign up for Google Rewards and get some playstore credits for participating in confirming information they know about you anyway.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

Hidden Content

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '05 300C - '09 G8

Quote Originally Posted by NHRATA01 View Post
    There's like one document instance of OnStar false-ing for an accident while on a track. I'm sure there's more than a few of them getting emergency response personnel to an accident of an incapacitated person. There have been plenty of 5th and 6th gens run on a track without triggering OnStar so it's a bit absurd to say they WILL be calling.

You don't happen to heed those buy gold commercials that used to run on The Blaze channel, do you?
    You missed his point - I'm the type of hacker that will hack out of pure boredom/just wanting a challenge. I'd tap into someones "Camaro SS" data just to see what their performance recorder says for the heck of it. Yes, THAT hacker. I'm not here to put you at risk by taking over your car and I most surely do not care about any of your personal information but I AM here to simply be curious/nosy.

Would I not creep you out if I told you that we've never met and I live on the other side of the USA from you yet I knew what route you took to work every morning, what Starbucks you stopped at on the way and that you leave your car idling for about six minutes while you ran in every day to grab your coffee?

It's not necessarily about having anything to hide. It's the fact that this every day information about you is accessible if someone was simply interested enough.
    RedSkyBlackDream

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NHRATA01 View Post

Actually there's more than a couple documented instances of this. And if there's a few posted on line you know there's been more that have not been documented on line.

You think this is something I just thought about last night? I am in the electronics industry, and I've done my research.
    Last edited by fastbal1; 06-07-2019 at 05:42 AM.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    CTS-Vagon/11/BD Vette/16/blk

Quote Originally Posted by RedSkyBlackDream View Post
    You missed his point - I'm the type of hacker that will hack out of pure boredom/just wanting a challenge. I'd tap into someones "Camaro SS" data just to see what their performance recorder says for the heck of it. Yes, THAT hacker. I'm not here to put you at risk by taking over your car and I most surely do not care about any of your personal information but I AM here to simply be curious/nosy.

Would I not creep you out if I told you that we've never met and I live on the other side of the USA from you yet I knew what route you took to work every morning, what Starbucks you stopped at on the way and that you leave your car idling for about six minutes while you ran in every day to grab your coffee?

It's not necessarily about having anything to hide. It's the fact that this every day information about you is accessible if someone was simply interested enough.
    As I said before, your cellphone tracks you much more closely than your car. You might loan your car and someone else drives it. I don't know of anyone that gives their smartphone to someone else for the day. And I also don't know of anyone willing to give up their cell, at least those that have one. I do know one woman who has never had a cellphone. Actually with android, you can login to google and google has a history of your location data right there to see. I imagine there are people at google who can access. And of course your cell carrier knows roughly where you are in order for the tower to ping your phone. And of course there were the stories of the cell carriers selling location data to bounty hunters. So long story short, would not creep me out at all. I know the data is out there.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RedSkyBlackDream View Post

If you're the type of hacker that knows my route to work...can you tell me if taking the surface roads when I run into traffic on I10 @ Elysian Fields gets me to work faster than if I stay on the interstate?
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

Hidden Content

19. The Following User Says Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

JimmyDiablo (06-07-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Thing is, again, you can turn your phone/antenna off. You cannot do that with you car.

The transponder board goes.

21. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information