Ruess comments on C8 Corvette encrypted ECU - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ruess comments on C8 Corvette encrypted ECU

Thanks
    Thanked 7,249 Times in 3,725 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Re: Ruess comments on C8 Corvette encrypted ECU

Quote Originally Posted by bmwboy2007 View Post
    The thought occurs to me that a hard shutoff switch might be worthwhile in vehicles subject to hacking. If all else fails, killing the engine could prevent much worse outcomes.
    That's a good idea! A mechanical switch to cut the fuel or something like that.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 8,700 Times in 5,616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by impala02 View Post
    What color C8 did you plan on buying before you learned about this?
    Blue Balls, GM's corporate color.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sfbreh For This Useful Post:

SVT74 (06-07-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,524 Times in 1,105 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

GM and JOHN DEERE BOTH fought against DMCA exemptions on "hacking" automotive systems most other companies did NOT "put up a FIGHT"

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasb.../#18c900f5d4c4

also GM and John DEERE have bean pushing against "right to repair" rules and OTHER consumer / 3RD party access into subsystems

it goes further then installing a "bullydog"
    it would include NON GM approved diagnostic scanners being able to change parts that need programming / initialization ETC OR even a reset / resync FORCING you to HAVE TO GO TO THE DEALER

VW group you use VAG-COM
    FORD has "forscan"
    and FCA there is "alfaobd" all capable of running dealer level diagnostic on your car + disable / enable features as you add components

6. The Following User Says Thank You to richmond2000 For This Useful Post:

377Z (06-06-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KingElv!s View Post
    Big Mother's going to give you 'updates' over the air whether you want them or not. Will it also feed your rate of speed to the local constabulary? Seems only a matter of time now.
    Everyone who is concerned with this should look into where the OnStar satellite radio (not Sirius/XM "radio" or AM/FM "radio" but the actual satellite communications transponder radio) board is in their cars. This can be removed without adversely affecting vehicle performance or Terrestrial/Satellite "radio" performance (except for and obviously losing all OnStar functions) and eliminate all ability and possibility for your car to communicate with OnStar.

It is usually not difficult once you know where that specific circuit board is hidden. I know in the Camaros it is behind the glove box, and there are how-to threads all over the internet on how to remove the transponder board. With the Camaros the only adverse affect is you lose your compass and of course OnStar is now dead.

Removing that radio board prevents any and all attempts for GM to contact your car.

The smart thing to do from my perspective is once every 6 months or so, reinstall the radio board, let your car link up to the satellite while sitting idle in your driveway for 10 minutes to check if there's any updates, let those updates download and install, and then when it's done you shut it off and remove the board.

Everyone at GM will think all you do with your car is let it run idle in the driveway for 10 minutes once every 6 months.

In general I have a difficult time accepting that the next car I buy will be a mobile communications center. I shouldn't have to remove the transponder board. OnStar should be completely optional, all hardware and software. If I want a care without OnStar, it has ZERO satellite communication (besides again XM/Sirius). I have a cell phone and the standard vehicle telematics allow me to synch my phone to the car and use that as my communications device if I so chose.
    Last edited by fastbal1; 06-06-2019 at 06:05 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,249 Times in 661 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fastbal1 View Post
    Everyone who is concerned with this should look into where the OnStar satellite radio (not Sirius/XM "radio" or AM/FM "radio" but the actual satellite communications transponder radio) board is in their cars. This can be removed without adversely affecting vehicle performance or Terrestrial/Satellite "radio" performance (except for and obviously losing all OnStar functions) and eliminate all ability and possibility for your car to communicate with OnStar.

It is usually not difficult once you know where that specific circuit board is hidden. I know in the Camaros it is behind the glove box, and there are how-to threads all over the internet on how to remove the transponder board. With the Camaros the only adverse affect is you lose your compass and of course OnStar is now dead.

Removing that radio board prevents any and all attempts for GM to contact your car.

The smart thing to do from my perspective is once every 6 months or so, reinstall the radio board, let your car link up to the satellite while sitting idle in your driveway for 10 minutes to check if there's any updates, let those updates download and install, and then when it's done you shut it off and remove the board.

Everyone at GM will think all you do with your car is let it run idle in the driveway for 10 minutes once every 6 months.

In general I have a difficult time accepting that the next car I buy will be a mobile communications center. I shouldn't have to remove the transponder board. OnStar should be completely optional, all hardware and software. If I want a care without OnStar, it has ZERO satellite communication (besides again XM/Sirius). I have a cell phone and the standard vehicle telematics allow me to synch my phone to the car and use that as my communications device if I so chose.
    Seriously, dude? Who does that? Sounds a bit paranoid to say the least.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bmwboy2007 For This Useful Post:

sdotjeezy (06-06-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

What you do with your car should be YOUR business. But there's more to it than GM having the ability to see if you have a lead foot...... they have already said future versions of OnStar will have the ability to track where you shop, eat, get gas, and well, everything so they can tailor advertisements to you. Wherever you do your grocery shopping, the system can track where your parking habits are and start showing you "20% off your next grocery bill" on the screen.

GM has already announced that is coming.

Now, do you really want that garbage? I surely don't.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fastbal1 For This Useful Post:

377Z (06-06-2019),richmond2000 (06-06-2019),rjpoog1989 (06-09-2019),Rumpole (06-07-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride

Wow - are you a CIA agent? What do you do in your life to make you go to such extremes?

Thanks
    My Ride

What you do with your car should be YOUR business. But there's more to it than GM having the ability to see if you have a lead foot...... they have already said future versions of OnStar will have the ability to track where you shop, eat, get gas, and well, everything so they can tailor advertisements to you. Wherever you do your grocery shopping, the system can track where your parking habits are and start showing you "20% off your next grocery bill" on the screen.

GM has already announced that is coming.

Now, do you really want that garbage? I surely don't.
    If Stop & Shop knows I'm headed to Big Y and wants to throw some $$ my way to get me go to their store instead , I'm fine with it. Saves me money. I presume you pay cash, don't have a cell phone, have no computer and get your TV via antenna, correct?

My only concern is when the police and insurance companies start to get the data. Instant insurance increases and speeding tickets the second you go over the speed limit.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    Wow - are you a CIA agent? What do you do in your life to make you go to such extremes?
    It's not that extreme - takes about 15 minutes to remove the board from the Camaro, which will be the first thing I do when I buy mine.

I'm not a foil hat conspirator. It's just a privacy.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    If Stop & Shop and Big Y want to throw some $$ my way to get me to shop at their stores, I'm fine with it. Saves me money. I presume you pay cash, don't have a cell phone, have no computer and get your TV via antenna, correct?
    OnStar can override and control your car. Anywhere it can get a cell signal. Lock your keys in it? Call OnStar or use your mobile app and they can unlock your doors remotely. Someone steals it (which is not impossibly but very unlikely today without either a tow truck or expensive equipment - your average off the street drug head who used to pop the door lock with a coat hanger and hotwire the ignition switch with a flathead screw driver car thief is out of business with modern anti-theft features) and they can track it and slow it down to a complete stop. And now and in the future the ability to update software without you even asking for it.

Your cell phone also gives you something valuable for logging and tracking you. Onstar doesn't. Everything onstar tracks has incentive to be used against you rather than for you. Not true of your phone.

You can turn your phone's connectivity off at will, by putting it in airplane mode. Shuts down the radio completely. OnStar doesn't give you the control over it's connectivity. You cannot completely shut the satellite transponder down.

In the end it comes down to not providing any value for what they are taking from you and risking. Because like you mentioned, most everyone already has a device that does everything in their pockets and it's useful everywhere they go...rather than just in their car, which people average maybe 1-2 hours a day in.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 sdotjeezy's Avatar
    Thanks

Ok...that's ridiculous, for 1 you're not special. How many vehicles with OnStar are on the road today???? Millions, they've never involuntarily interfered with anyone's driving activity... not once not ever. This IS a prime example of tinfoil hat levels of paranoia on display.
    Last edited by sdotjeezy; 06-06-2019 at 08:35 AM.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '17 Nissan Versa Note

Hidden Content

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

People bitch and moan about what GM is doing but have their life on their cellphones which is way worse. You phone is open to the world a lot more than your car is including you computer. Going forward with more autonomous cars is going to make them more and more connected to the manufactures system. I for one don't believe full autonomous will be mainstream. It will only be viable in big cities. Otherwise most people will still be driving their cars.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    Ok...that's ridiculous, for 1 you're not special. How many vehicles with OnStar are on the road today???? Millions, they've never involuntarily interfered with anyone's driving activity... not once not ever. This IS a prime example of tinfoil hat levels of paranoia on display.
    They haven't interfered, but they do collect data:

https://www.apnews.com/31c018cdbc634d42a7c97d04774954b1

I'll probably bring my screwdrivers to the dealer when I pick my new car up and remove the board right there at the dealer.
    Last edited by fastbal1; 06-06-2019 at 08:54 AM.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 sdotjeezy's Avatar
    Thanks

They haven't interfered, but they do collect data:

https://www.apnews.com/31c018cdbc634d42a7c97d04774954b1

I'll probably bring my screwdrivers to the dealer when I pick my new car up and remove the board right there at the dealer.
    So what if they collect data....I have a watch that if I leave on when I go to sleep at night, knows if I'm banging my wife or not...My cellphone knows where I am at all times, my computer knows every sketchy site I've visited...does it bother me? No because I have absolutely nothing to hide. I still don't know why I keep getting Russian bride ads tho...hard pass on that
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '17 Nissan Versa Note

Hidden Content

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pontiacgt02 View Post
    People bitch and moan about what GM is doing but have their life on their cellphones which is way worse. You phone is open to the world a lot more than your car is including you computer. Going forward with more autonomous cars is going to make them more and more connected to the manufactures system. I for one don't believe full autonomous will be mainstream. It will only be viable in big cities. Otherwise most people will still be driving their cars.
    Well since I'll never own an automatic transmission even semi-autonomous is out for me. If I have to keep the last manual on earth till I die I'll do that before driving an automatic.

22. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast