QOTD: "one feature we've come to expect in all Teslas: shoddy fit and finish"

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: QOTD: "one feature we've come to expect in all Teslas: shoddy fit and finish"

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,186 Times in 1,150 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Jaguar F-Type (Manual)

QOTD: "one feature we've come to expect in all Teslas: shoddy fit and finish"

Car & Driver Magazine
    June 24, 2020

Tested: 2020 Tesla Model Y Long Range Crosses Over Into the Mainstream

The 2020 Model Y is the first Tesla that doesn't purport to do things in a bold and radically new way. Rather, it's a crossover version of the Model 3 sedan aimed squarely at the mainstream buyer.We like the Model 3, so a car that's just like it but has a roomier back seat—with nearly two more inches of headroom—and a bigger cargo hold—fitting seven carry-on bags behind the seats to the 3's four—sounds great, right? In reality, the Y's dimensions work against it. Even though the Y and 3 share powertrains and batteries, the less refined driving character of the former is instantly discernible by anyone who has driven the latter. There is more body roll, and a keen tush detects a bit of flex in the unibody when the chassis is stressed in corners or by pockmarked roads. The quick steering makes the 350-pound-heavier Model Y feel twitchy in comparison with the 3, and our test car's optional 20-inch wheels contribute, no doubt, to suspension crash over expressway expansion joints.

This Model Y came with the one feature we've come to expect in all Teslas: shoddy fit and finish. We noted inconsistent gaps between the body panels—not all of which sit flush, by the way. There's a definite orange-peel effect to the paint, which also had some chips fresh from the factory, according to the owner. A few wires hang in the open from the dashboard into the passenger's footwell. Tesla placed the tire-pressure sticker on the door jamb in such a way that the white label peeks through the gap between the front fender and the door panel. And a series of persistent creaks and rattles from the back seat and cargo area made the owner send this car back to Tesla for a fix. The company says the rattle is a known problem without a solution, so the owner found a workaround. He slightly reclines part of the rear bench to stop the seatbacks from rubbing against one another.

Tesla has built its business by selling desirable EVs at luxury prices. But the Model Y, which lacks a lot of amenities for its price, makes clear that Tesla wasn't looking to innovate here. The company took one of its established vehicles—the cheapest one, at that—and made an appliance of it, just like so many other automakers have done with their EVs.

And yet, Tesla loyalty runs so deep, this electric crossover will surely sell like gangbusters. And that's fine. There's nothing dreadfully wrong with the Model Y. But we can't help but feel that Tesla punted on this one. The company known for daring played it safe, and the result doesn't score big with us.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tesla Scores Dead Last In 2020 J.D. Power Initial Quality Study

Bloomberg.com
    June 24, 2020

J.D. Power featured Tesla in its study for the first time despite the manufacturer not granting the market researcher permission to survey its car owners in 15 states, including California, home to its headquarters. The sample of surveys from customers in the rest of the country found that Tesla owners reported 250 problems per 100 vehicles, which would be more than any other brand. The industry average was 166.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Perian For This Useful Post:

eklauss (06-25-2020)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,186 Times in 1,150 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Jaguar F-Type (Manual)

Re: QOTD: "one feature we've come to expect in all Teslas: shoddy fit and finish"

In fairness, a completely different read from Consumer Reports:

https://www.consumerreports.org/hybr...hings-to-know/

---------------

J.D. Power featured Tesla in its study for the first time despite the manufacturer not granting the market researcher permission to survey its car owners in 15 states, including California, home to its headquarters. The sample of surveys from customers in the rest of the country found that Tesla owners reported 250 problems per 100 vehicles, which would be more than any other brand. The industry average was 166.
    Wow. Welcome to 1976. Who in their right mind would put up with this? What is Tesla doing? Short term gain = long term pain.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perian For This Useful Post:

eklauss (06-25-2020),Neanderthal (06-25-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,335 Times in 4,568 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Re: QOTD: "one feature we've come to expect in all Teslas: shoddy fit and finish"

My take has always been that most consumers don't care much about a misaligned panel, that's just something that enthusiasts care about. However, everyone does care about squeaks and rattles as they'll drive the typical person nuts.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

eklauss (06-25-2020),wallus13 (06-24-2020)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 566 Posts

"250 problems per 100 vehicles?" Yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Perian View Post
    In fairness, a completely different read from Consumer Reports:

https://www.consumerreports.org/hybr...hings-to-know/ ...
    I would expect nothing less from CR, objectivity be d*mned.
    2005 CTS-V, LS6, supercharged, L-T headers, etc SOLD !!!
    2011 Cruze ECO, 1.4T, 6-spd manual. (my DD) SOLD !!!
    2012 SRX, 3.6, AWD (wife's car)
    2017 Volt Premier Iridescent Pearl Tricoat (son has taken it over)
    2016 ATS Premium 6MT (my DD)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2003 Cadillac Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    My take has always been that most consumers don't care much about a misaligned panel, that's just something that enthusiasts care about. However, everyone does care about squeaks and rattles as they'll drive the typical person nuts.
    Apparently, squeaks and rattles don't exist in Tesla's:

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/08/10...y-a-landslide/
    2018 Chevy Tahoe
    2017 Chevy Suburban
    2003 Cadillac Escalade -- 200K miles and still rollin' (current ride)
    Past Rides:
    2014 Buick Verano (Lease)
    2011 Cadillac CTS 3.0 (Lease)
    1998 Camaro Z28 -- RIP 1/2016

emh
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 632 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Perian View Post
    Wow. Welcome to 1976. Who in their right mind would put up with this? What is Tesla doing? Short term gain = long term pain.
    Tesla clearly needs to do better, but 250 problems per 100 cars isn't 1976. In fact, it's not that far off of Tesla's main competition in the same survey: Land Rover with 228 problems per 100 cars, Audi with 225, Volvo with 210, Mercedes with 202, Jaguar with 190, Porsche with 186, Acura with 185, BMW with 176 etc.
    "The irony of the Information Age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion" -- John Lawton

Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 DTS Perf-Plat

I don't care how many or how few problems it has, if the lower door panels aren't soft and caressable, forget it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ral1960 For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (07-03-2020)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,753 Times in 4,673 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

First rule of journalism is BE CONSISTENT. Even if you're wrong, be consistent. So Tesla is clearly the car for journalists. Yes we can!

Quote Originally Posted by ral1960 View Post
    I don't care how many or how few problems it has, if the lower door panels aren't soft and caressable, forget it.
    AMEN brothuh! As a fellow sufferer of Car and Driver Writer Door Panel Caressing Obsession/Disorder, I can fail your pain! Those slick hard lower door panels just throw me right into a major depression.

DSM 5 coded 300.33333 1/2.
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 07-03-2020 at 04:25 PM.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

15. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information