GM Inside News Forum banner

Plug-in hybrids in new emissions scandal as tests show higher pollution than claimed

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  jpd80 
#1 ·
Plug-in hybrids in new emissions scandal as tests show higher pollution than claimed
Read also in French, German, Italian, Polish and Spanish.

Sales of plug-in hybrid vehicles are skyrocketing in Europe, but tests on the newest models confirm they pollute the climate far more than carmakers claim – even when starting with a full battery. Three of the most popular plug-ins in 2020 all emitted more CO2 than advertised, when tested in the real world, just as research on older PHEVs has shown.[1] Transport & Environment (T&E), which commissioned the tests, said governments should end the purchase subsidies and generous tax breaks for plug-in hybrids that are fuelling another emissions scandal.

Eoin BannonNovember 23, 2020 - 07:05.

The BMW X5, Volvo XC60 and Mitsubishi Outlander emitted 28-89% more CO2 than advertised when tested by Emissions Analytics on a fully charged battery in optimal conditions. On an empty battery, they emitted three to eight times more than official values. When driven in battery-charging mode, which could become more common as motorists charge up ahead of using electric mode in low-emissions zones, the PHEVs emitted three to 12 times more.

https://www.transportenvironment.or...s-scandal-tests-show-higher-pollution-claimed

See less See more
Reactions: BlackGTP
#2 ·
I'll need someone with some knowledge to explain this to me in small words. I'm getting hung up with gasoline - one gallon of gas contains a given amount of CO2, correct? No matter how you burn it, that gallon of gas will give out the same amount of CO2. So is this article simply saying that hybrids don't have the efficiency as advertised? Meaning they say 50 mpg and you are only getting 30 mpg? I think I'm right and this is a classic example of over-complicating things. Or are they saying the efficiency of the electric motors is pretty poor?

If true, the companies that are placing their bets on hybrids as the tech of the future (Toyota) might be in trouble.

Edit: I found the below interesting on how the resulting CO2 from the combustion process weighs more than the gallon of gas.
https://epicenergyblog.com/2013/05/24/how-many-pounds-of-carbon-dioxide-co2-does-a-gallon-of-gasoline-produce/

#3 ·
I'll need someone with some knowledge to explain this to me in small words. I'm getting hung up with gasoline - one gallon of gas contains a given amount of CO2, correct? No matter how you burn it, that gallon of gas will give out the same amount of CO2. So is this article simply saying that hybrids don't have the efficiency as advertised? Meaning they say 50 mpg and you are only getting 30 mpg? I think I'm right and this is a classic example of over-complicating things. Or are they saying the efficiency of the electric motors is pretty poor?

If true, the companies that are placing their bets on hybrids as the tech of the future (Toyota) might be in trouble.
Wait until they find out clean the electricity is(n't).........

Edit: I found the below interesting on how the resulting CO2 from the combustion process weighs more than the gallon of gas.
https://epicenergyblog.com/2013/05/24/how-many-pounds-of-carbon-dioxide-co2-does-a-gallon-of-gasoline-produce/
Two words, sorry, Four words..........

Carbon Tax, Bend Over!

A single carbon atom has a molecular weight of 12. After combustion, the vast majority of carbon atoms in a gallon of gasoline bond with two oxygen atoms, forming carbon dioxide (CO2) molecules. An oxygen atom has a molecular weight of 16. Therefore, a carbon dioxide molecule has a molecular weight of 44. So a single carbon dioxide molecule is 3.6 times heavier than a single carbon atom.

(C)12+(O)16+(O)16=44 which is 3.6 times heavier, didn't the 2 (O) already exist? :think:

#7 ·
Right, but the majority of the weight of a lot of hydrocarbon molecules is in the carbon atoms (one carbon atom is about 12x the weight of a hydrogen atom). Then you add two oxygen atoms (each about 16x the weight of a hydrogen atom) per carbon atom to produce carbon dioxide, and that dominates the weight of the outputs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.