GM Inside News Forum banner

#OTD: One Half Trillion Dollars

3K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  Mr.Buttons 
#1 ·
Bloomberg News
November 24, 2020

Tesla Nears Half a Trillion Mark After Soaring 525% This Year

Tesla Inc. is smashing through records as its impending addition to the S&P 500 Index has sparked a buying frenzy among investors, pushing the company’s market valuation close to the $500 billion mark for the first time.

Shares of the electric vehicle company have soared this year, rising nearly 525%, with gains accelerating over the past week after S&P Dow Jones Indices last Monday said Tesla will be added to the benchmark. The stock surge helped co-founder Elon Musk add $100.3 billion to his net worth this year and overtake Bill Gates to become the world’s second-richest person.

#2 ·
This is completely my fault.

Every time I wonder out loud how Tesla can survive, the stock goes up another twenty percent.

While perhaps I should stop speaking, you have to give Mr. Musk credit where credit is due. What an amazing ride. The executives at GM, Ford, FCA, Toyota etc, must be dumbfounded watching this.

I know I am.

Market Summary > Tesla Inc
NASDAQ: TSLA
521.85 USD 0.00 (0.00%) Closed
Pre-market 541.00 +19.15 (3.67%)

#10 ·
If anyone really wants the stock to tank, give me money to invest in Tesla. The stock value will be sure to tank if I invest in it.

Kidding aside, that is absolutely amazing and far beyond what Tesla will ever return. Overexuberance at its best. It's an exciting company, I understand the allure - but I don't see it ever bringing in the amount of profits needed to justify the market cap.

#3 · (Edited)
For comparison, the market cap for GM is about $64B, Ford about $35B. Wall Street has spoken as clearly as it can:

EV = good
ICE = bad

I can't blame the auto executives for trying to ride the EV gravy train. We'll see which ones do the best job balancing ICE and EV over the next say 10 years.

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/GM/

#5 ·
Once Tesla works through these growing pains regarding production quality, the rest of the industry will be kinda effed. That is what worries me about the big 2s transition to EVs, will it be enough to make inroads with Tesla's target demographics?

#9 ·
Tesla will slow down once GM gets its cars and trucks going. Tesla cars are so boring. Yes they are fast but the styling is nothing great. That is where GM can shine. Tesla interiors are boring and have no style and it seems people that are buying them are people who will keep a car forever and that is not a good thing for any manufacture.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.