Once world’s largest automaker, GM retreats overseas as other companies take the lead

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Once world’s largest automaker, GM retreats overseas as other companies take the lead

Thanks
    Thanked 1,423 Times in 754 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Cadillac XT5 - 16 Traverse

Once world’s largest automaker, GM retreats overseas as other companies take the lead

MON, DEC 16
    Paul A. Eisenstein
    CNBC

- At its peak in 2016, the Detroit automaker’s global volume hit a record 10.01 million, declining to 8.38 million just two years later.
    - Since taking the helm 6 years ago, CEO Mary Barra has followed a strategy that might be referred to as one of strategic retrenchment.
    - The company’s abandoned a number of once-critical markets, including Western Europe, India and, most recently, Russia.

Long the world’s largest automaker, General Motors has watched an assortment of key competitors push past it in the global sales race this past decade and may soon find itself slipping into the No. 5 spot behind the likes of Volkswagen, Toyota and the company that will be created by the soon-to-merge Fiat Chrysler and PSA.

While the Detroit giant initially put up a fight to hang onto its global sales crown, GM has now abandoned its longtime strategy of growth, almost no matter what the cost. Since taking the helm about six years ago, CEO Mary Barra has followed a strategy that might be referred to as one of strategic retrenchment, abandoning a number of once-critical markets, including Western Europe, India and, most recently, Russia.

“They’re in retreat, peeling off the places where they don’t think they can make money for the foreseeable future,” said Joe Phillippi, founder and senior analyst at AutoTrends Consulting.

General Motors lost its position as the world’s bestselling automaker in the run-up to its 2009 bankruptcy, the company emerging from Chapter 11 protection having abandoned four of its North American brands: Hummer, Pontiac, Saab and Saturn. It briefly regained the lead from Toyota when the 2011 tsunami led to major production cuts by all Japanese automakers. A year later, Toyota was back on top and, since then, GM has fallen further and further behind Volkswagen and the Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi Alliance, as well.

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE
    Last edited by nadepalma; 01-09-2020 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Reformatted, moved to Newsticker

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride

Re: Once world’s largest automaker, GM retreats overseas as other companies take the

With GM sales down a whopping 11.2% in Canada year to date - perhaps they should try a little harder here.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kool1 For This Useful Post:

tgagneguam (12-16-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,749 Times in 2,430 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Re: Once world’s largest automaker, GM retreats overseas as other companies take the

Gotta retreat in all these less than stellar markets so they can refocus on Zero-Zero-Zero.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

Extreme4x4 (12-16-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,243 Times in 1,486 Posts

The retreat is sad, particularly selling off Opel and Vauxhall. GM used to be a major player in Europe. They've let Holden wither and die. GM isn't the only company to cease manufacturing in Australia, but the products they've dumped on Holden are clearly not what those buyers want. Canada has been in freefall since the genius decision to drop the Pontiac brand.
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ksr For This Useful Post:

Evo69 (12-16-2019),Juche (12-16-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    15 ATS Performance AWD

Quote Originally Posted by 1958carnut View Post
    Gotta retreat in all these less than stellar markets so they can refocus on Zero-Zero-Zero.
    Zero markets. Zero revenue. Zero profit. Genius!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CadillacSA For This Useful Post:

joey (12-17-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Cadillac CTSV

It's not about revenue, it's about profits. I think GM was smart to pull out of Europe and the other countries. if you listen to the European auto execs they see a reckoning coming with the forced conversion to BEVs before the public is ready for them. India-- No profits to be made there because of its bureaucracy. GM has tried and tried. No profit opportunity in Russia either. I'm saddened about Australia. GM made massive investments when the tax laws favored local manufacturing ... then they didn't. Hopefully they give it another try.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 648 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Sonic

One detail, I think I read GM continues to sell in Russia but no longer manufactures there. For example:

http://cadillacsociety.com/2019/12/0...ronezh-russia/
    Current ride: 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8L 5sp manual sedan
    Previous ride: 1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2L 5sp manual
    Next ride, pre-pandemic: Maybe a 2021 2.0T CT4, weekend car, keep the Sonic as DD
    Next ride, post-pandemic: Keep driving the Sonic!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dannyg For This Useful Post:

Juche (12-16-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,334 Times in 4,568 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

So where does sales without profit land GM other than in bankruptcy and bragging rights of having the most sold. Russia will be a basket case for years to come, especially with the world shifting away from oil and Russia's economy is totally unprepared for that. India is a basket case as well, it is not China and doesn't yet have a path to prosperity. Even Europe, the argument can be made that profits are possible, however, right or wrong GM has demonstrated over the past 20+ years that they can't turn it around. They did the right thing in leaving.

Volume without profits is nothing but ego. It's the same as being the first one handing in your test but getting an F. Being first without results is worthless.

Volume & profit needs to be looked at together. GM failed that comparison a long time ago, long before the bankruptcy - I think once they ceased to have the most profit and most volume they ceased to be the biggest.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (12-16-2019),gkr778 (12-16-2019),wallus13 (12-16-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Opel Corsa GSI

Quote Originally Posted by dannyg View Post
    One detail, I think I read GM continues to sell in Russia but no longer manufactures there. For example:

http://cadillacsociety.com/2019/12/0...ronezh-russia/
    I remember Opel was forced by GMHQ out of Russia after the build a new plant and Dealer network. Was an expensive experience for Opel. After that it was Australia IIRC.

But it seems they are back to Russia. Opel press release from today:

Monday 16-12-2019

Rüsselsheim. Opel is back in Russia: The first models of the Rüsselsheim-based German carmaker have arrived in the showrooms of selected dealers in major Russian cities. As of today, customers in Russia can order the successful Opel Grandland X SUV from Eisenach and the Zafira Life.

Groupe PSA started the regular production of the family van Zafira Life in its plant in Kaluga, some 200 kilometers southwest of Moscow. The Opel Vivaro transporter units for the local market will also roll off the production line in Kaluga as of early 2020.
    Source: https://int-media.opel.com/en/12-16-...tion-in-kaluga

Thanks
    My Ride

I think profit is important, you can't keep losing money for decades. Of course I always ask why GM was so incompetent that they could not make money in Europe with Opel while others can?

Of course you could also ask why GM can't make money selling small cars when Honda and Toyota can...

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kool1 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (12-16-2019),CJH (12-16-2019),Ed753 (12-18-2019),joey (12-17-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by kool1 View Post
    I think profit is important, you can't keep losing money for decades. Of course I always ask why GM was so incompetent that they could not make money in Europe with Opel while others can?

Of course you could also ask why GM can't make money selling small cars when Honda and Toyota can...
    Same reason that GM and Ford make money selling trucks and I bet Honda and Toyota don't - volume. GM and Ford built a reputation for bad quality small cars, and let Honda/Toyota build a great reputation in that arena. Now they have the volume and GM/Ford don't (really don't now that they are abandoning the market). Hard to make money with a low margin product selling in low volumes.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (12-16-2019),richmond2000 (12-16-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,896 Times in 1,346 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

I think a lot of it is GM NOT incorporating all the core products together and having Opel / Holden / GM NA / GMDAT each design OWN products with little relation to every other product

P
    the Spark and Sonic and Cruze are NOT RELATED same with the Opel Adam / Corsa

FORD had the fiesta / focus / ecosport all on one and Mondeo / Fusion where as close as they can be

IMHO GM NEEDED a "one FORD" more than FORD needed "one ford"

rime example Holden - did what it wanted and made a car MOSTLY Australia ONLY and GM NA goes and builds a competing car
    Most companies would have taken Zeta and "globalized" it for Buick / Caddy / Impala
    - GM has 3 1/2 RWD sedan chassis all doing ALMOST the same thing each a bespoke operation and needing FULL budgets instead of "chopping" zeta down to make a Alpha like chassis OR an Alpha XL for a Zeta replacement / Omega
    AND NONE of the "caddy" chassis are configured to do SUVs

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to richmond2000 For This Useful Post:

Angurisha (12-20-2019),Juche (12-16-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    Same reason that GM and Ford make money selling trucks and I bet Honda and Toyota don't - volume. GM and Ford built a reputation for bad quality small cars, and let Honda/Toyota build a great reputation in that arena. Now they have the volume and GM/Ford don't (really don't now that they are abandoning the market). Hard to make money with a low margin product selling in low volumes.
    GM did sell big volumes of small cars in the past but they didn't invest or market them. Too obsessed with pick up trucks. GM blew it.

Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000 View Post
    I think a lot of it is GM NOT incorporating all the core products together and having Opel / Holden / GM NA / GMDAT each design OWN products with little relation to every other product
    So many blown opportunities to scale small cars globally. GM could have had 2-3 good global small cars like Civic and Corolla.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kool1 For This Useful Post:

canadian.bacon (12-18-2019),Ed753 (12-18-2019),richmond2000 (12-17-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    My Ride

GM did sell big volumes of small cars in the past but they didn't invest or market them. Too obsessed with pick up trucks. GM blew it.

So many blown opportunities to scale small cars globally. GM could have had 2-3 good global small cars like Civic and Corolla.
    They were selling big volumes, but how much of that volume was dependent upon big rebates and sales to car rentals - meaning profitless? They were obsessed with pickups because that's where the profit is.

And with GM's cost structure, especially pre-bankruptcy, I suspect it was impossible to make a profit on a small vehicle in the USA with high cost union labor.

However, all these problems were self inflicted over the long term. GM agreed to those labor contracts, ultimately leading them to be uncompetitive. And I also agree that GM should have scaled the small cars (actually, all vehicles) globally. The seeds of their failures were sown in their successes earlier on. GM's structure of each division acting as their own company led to success through the 60's, but worked against them as they entered the 70's. That same success allowed GM to award rich contracts to the union, but there was no way to take those rich contracts back once the competition became more fierce.

But hindsight is 20-20.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,749 Times in 2,430 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    They were selling big volumes, but how much of that volume was dependent upon big rebates and sales to car rentals - meaning profitless? They were obsessed with pickups because that's where the profit is.

And with GM's cost structure, especially pre-bankruptcy, I suspect it was impossible to make a profit on a small vehicle in the USA with high cost union labor.

However, all these problems were self inflicted over the long term. GM agreed to those labor contracts, ultimately leading them to be uncompetitive. And I also agree that GM should have scaled the small cars (actually, all vehicles) globally. The seeds of their failures were sown in their successes earlier on. GM's structure of each division acting as their own company led to success through the 60's, but worked against them as they entered the 70's. That same success allowed GM to award rich contracts to the union, but there was no way to take those rich contracts back once the competition became more fierce.

But hindsight is 20-20.
    I still think if the small cars were stellar products and GM had built a reputation like Honda and some others, the small car thing and the outrageously unprofitable BS wouldn't have been going on. Then again GM needs more innovative or outside the box thinking too which IMO would help in this.

28. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information