Oil, Gas Prices in Retreat; Return of $3/Gallon Gasoline? - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil, Gas Prices in Retreat; Return of $3/Gallon Gasoline?

Thanks

Re: Oil, Gas Prices in Retreat; Return of $3/Gallon Gasoline?

Quote Originally Posted by KingElvis View Post
    Huh?

We're just getting below $4 here in Chicago.

Couldn't believe the Marlboro pack price either - our cigarettes are $8 a pack.
    Chantix works! (if you can handle the bizarre and hyper-vivid dreams that are a side effect - not to mention copious flatulence) $8 per pack is past time to quit. I said enough at $3.50 a pack. Wow.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like" - Will Rogers

"Fearful men seek the sacred mountains,
    sacred groves, sacred trees and shrines" - Buddha

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RamJet502 View Post
    I didn't know you lived in Council-tucky, I miss that cheap mid-grade gas with 10% ethanol.
    OMIGOD! A former I-wegan? I don't actually live in Council-tucky (phew!), but pretty close. How long have you been away? It's quite different from when I moved here from California. E10 is $2.82, actually - that is until that station ran out of gasoline Friday evening! Lots of Nebraska plates in the gas station lines here over the weekend.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like" - Will Rogers

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 tama z71's Avatar
    Thanks

There's an election coming. Buy all your gas before the votes are tallied.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tama z71 View Post
    There's an election coming. Buy all your gas before the votes are tallied.
    Couldn't it simply be the Almighty Market working the way it's supposed to? Extraneous travel is down, carpooling is popular, people are consolidating trips and errands. Couldn't it just be that we're using less, thereby dropping demand? Not everything is connected to the election.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KingElvis View Post
    Huh?

We're just getting below $4 here in Chicago.

Couldn't believe the Marlboro pack price either - our cigarettes are $8 a pack.

$8 a pack!! You need ciggs? I can get'em for you for less than half that.

6.0 Liter L76 V8 Premium Member jbernie's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Chevrolet Volt

Quote Originally Posted by Whitesky View Post
    Now hopefully truck and SUV sales pick up.

hehe.. the price of gas drops just in time to allow people to buy SUVs again when no one can afford to buy one in the first place...

Maybe we should invest in lubricant stocks because there seems to be a lot of being screwed in the *** going on.....
    Talk is cheap, sometimes it is on sale.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,743 Times in 4,671 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

$3.19 I sore yesterday.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

Thanks

Hopefully we learned a lesson at $147 a barrel. I don't see SUV sales climbing too much again. Most people now know better, and those that can afford it are often avoiding them just because of the image. Awful vehicles that never served a purpose in the first place. At Least most modern sports cars are efficient in their uselessness. Personally the only time the Silverado is used is to tow the race trailer and motorcycles. THe rest of the time its the Impala.

Gas here in Nova Scotia is still $1.199/L which is $5.03 in US dollars and gallons, which is fkin nuts. While much of it is tax, it still hasn't dropped nearly as much as it should, and is for some unknown reason still 25% more expensive than it was when oil was rising up and hit $90/bbl. Haven't figured that one out at all.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 calgaryhhr's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Chevy HHR 09 Ford Flex Ltd

Quote Originally Posted by give_it_all_ View Post
    In my town by Toronto, we are at $1.09/litre, or $3.73/ US Gallon. Much better than the $1.3x that it was at
    It's a real shame that you folks in Toronto have cheaper gasoline than us folks out here in Alberta. We bust our butts to find and extract the oil and somehow the cheapest gasoline I can find is about $1.17.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC the_smurf2008's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Camaro

Here in Rockport Tx the cost of fuel is just above $3.00 @ $3.03 to $3.09 per gallon
    word is to look for $2.50 ( I have friendsin the fuel biz) due to the sell off that is the reaction to the wall street debacle.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member WishIhadatruck's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Cruze Eco MT

Even if gas dropped to $1.00 per gallon I bet many of the previous BOF SUV/Truck buyers wouldn't go back due to fears that gas will go back up again, because it will. I'm sure it would cause BOF SUV/Truck sales to stabalize or go up slightly but they will never go back up to where they were. The market for more fuel efficient vehicles will probably remain fairly strong as well although it might taper off slightly until gas prices start back up. You can always stick with your gas guzzler for now and wait for prices to jump back up before you downsize later.
    Current:
    '96 Buick Roadmaster Wagon
    '14 Cruze Eco Manual
    '03 2500 8.1L Suburban
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 escaladelover's Avatar
    Thanks

Hopefully Large Hybrid SUV's will come up.
    Tony Soprano would be so proud of this.
    R.I.P James Gandolfini

You know he's driving one of these up in Heaven.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 RamJet502's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2001 Chevy Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by Saturn69 View Post
    OMIGOD! A former I-wegan? I don't actually live in Council-tucky (phew!), but pretty close. How long have you been away? It's quite different from when I moved here from California. E10 is $2.82, actually - that is until that station ran out of gasoline Friday evening! Lots of Nebraska plates in the gas station lines here over the weekend.
    I lived in Davenport, IA for 4 years during college, then I spent 3 years working in Omaha, and I moved to Vegas in April. The winters I spent in the midwest took years off my life but I do miss affordable gas, $2.82 is great!

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 PontiacBixler's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 Pontiac G6 GT Coupe

With oil trading at its current price, gas should be a lot less. It's the typical scam, someone whispers the words hurricane, heavy winter or mild winter and gas prices skyrocket, but when oil drops faster than it went up the price at the pumps take 7x the rate of speed of decline.

I filled up my Jeep Grand Cherokee on Saturday utilizing our local grocery store's gas price savings deal and paid $1.95/gallon, totaling $35. It felt soooooooooo good to not have to put $75+ in that tank that day.

However it is a double edged blade:
    -If gas prices went down that low on an average again, would the economy strengthen with people buying things again and traveling?
    or
    -Would people star buying the big honking SUVs again so that along with more usage comes higher oil prices in turn higher prices at the pump.
    or
    -Would development on Electric/Hydrogen vehicles cease due to the "good old" days being back and we have a repeat of the EV1 situation where they disappeared?
    What is happening to the GM that grew up with for these many decades? If I could I would institute a hostile take over and kick the entire board and executives out and fill the positions with creative minds under the age of 35.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RamJet502 View Post
    I lived in Davenport, IA for 4 years during college, then I spent 3 years working in Omaha, and I moved to Vegas in April. The winters I spent in the midwest took years off my life but I do miss affordable gas, $2.82 is great!
    Yeah, but it gives me a chuckle when I see people from California on TV wearing parkas.....in 56° weather! Puhleeze! I grew up in SoCal, near San Diego and served my Navy term at Lemoore NAS near Fresno. Kinda miss it sometimes.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information