New Report Accuses GM, BMW, Mercedes, VW, Other Makers of Labor Abuses in China

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Report Accuses GM, BMW, Mercedes, VW, Other Makers of Labor Abuses in China

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    4.3L Vortec

New Report Accuses GM, BMW, Mercedes, VW, Other Makers of Labor Abuses in China

"General Motors, along with several other top automakers including BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Volkswagen, have been accused of using forced labor at factories in China by an Australian think tank".

More at the link...

https://www.thedetroitbureau.com/202...uses-in-china/

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 9,543 Times in 4,663 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Re: New Report Accuses GM, BMW, Mercedes, VW, Other Makers of Labor Abuses in China

I have a lot of thoughts on this, but I'm unclear as to where GMI's political line is drawn and this topic touches on communist politics. So until I get clarification, I will not respond. In other words, I'm asking the moderators to give us some clarification as I don't think I'm the only one who isn't clear.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (07-28-2020),1999 White C5 Coupe (07-28-2020),mbukukanyau (07-28-2020)

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,303 Times in 1,511 Posts

Re: New Report Accuses GM, BMW, Mercedes, VW, Other Makers of Labor Abuses in China

With the recent reports that I've seen on Nike, I wouldn't doubt that this is true. The concentration camps for the Uyghur Muslims aren't some conspiracy theory. They do exist. And there was recently leaked drone footage of them being herded on to trains.

Sounds like Albert Speer and Nazi Germany. If this is over the political line and violates the "vapid conversation only" rule, then I'm sorry. Assess me points, ban me, whatever. It's also true and is something that our media and most of our government is shamefully silent about. And it is certainly GM-related.
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ksr For This Useful Post:

Extreme4x4 (08-02-2020),Neanderthal (07-28-2020),TruckMan (07-28-2020)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 3,558 Times in 1,909 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

This title is wrong.
    It should say "New Report Accuses Anyone Who Makes Anything In China Of Labor Abuses."
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

Hidden Content

2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to eaton53 For This Useful Post:

09W (07-28-2020),mbukukanyau (07-28-2020),Neanderthal (07-29-2020),Ruperts Trooper (07-28-2020),sdotjeezy (07-28-2020),TruckMan (07-28-2020)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,363 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

to me reading the article it sounds like GM is NOT DIRECTLY involved beyond "A" doing business in China the way everybody does AND the way the JV partner does

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,303 Times in 1,511 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000 View Post
    to me reading the article it sounds like GM is NOT DIRECTLY involved beyond "A" doing business in China the way everybody does AND the way the JV partner does
    That was kind of the defense by Albert Speer and of German companies like IG Farben and Krupp at Nuremberg. "We needed workers. We didn't ask where they came from." And where they came from was concentration camps and foreign workers pressed into service. Fritz Sauckel was hung for providing those workers, and in retrospect Speer likely should have been as well (he got 20 years).

I'm not in the "everyone I hate is Hitler" camp. But there's parallels here. The PRC is not a good place.
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ksr For This Useful Post:

Extreme4x4 (08-02-2020),Neanderthal (07-28-2020),richmond2000 (07-29-2020)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,523 Times in 1,904 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by ksr View Post
    That was kind of the defense by Albert Speer and of German companies like IG Farben and Krupp at Nuremberg. "We needed workers. We didn't ask where they came from." And where they came from was concentration camps and foreign workers pressed into service. Fritz Sauckel was hung for providing those workers, and in retrospect Speer likely should have been as well (he got 20 years).

I'm not in the "everyone I hate is Hitler" camp. But there's parallels here. The PRC is not a good place.
    Indeed, GM's Opel and Ford factories in Germany would probably have no choice of their labour during WW2 but neither parent company could be held responsible.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ruperts Trooper For This Useful Post:

09W (07-28-2020),richmond2000 (07-29-2020)

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,839 Times in 2,488 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

I don't know but just skimming through it, it has all the markings of what could be another major scandal.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

Extreme4x4 (08-02-2020),Neanderthal (07-28-2020)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,832 Times in 4,716 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    I have a lot of thoughts on this, but I'm unclear as to where GMI's political line is drawn and this topic touches on communist politics. So until I get clarification, I will not respond. In other words, I'm asking the moderators to give us some clarification as I don't think I'm the only one who isn't clear.
    Commies, in fact all tyrannies, use forced labor as SOP. It's simply the nature of the beast. Call it politics if you choose, but it's simply the way they roll. A more interesting headline would be "No Labor Abuses Found In China."
    Now that would be progress.

Quote Originally Posted by ksr View Post
    With the recent reports that I've seen on Nike, I wouldn't doubt that this is true. The concentration camps for the Uyghur Muslims aren't some conspiracy theory. They do exist. And there was recently leaked drone footage of them being herded on to trains.

Sounds like Albert Speer and Nazi Germany. If this is over the political line and violates the "vapid conversation only" rule, then I'm sorry. Assess me points, ban me, whatever. It's also true and is something that our media and most of our government is shamefully silent about. And it is certainly GM-related.
    Quote Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
    This title is wrong.
    It should say "New Report Accuses Anyone Who Makes Anything In China (Is Guilty) Of Labor Abuses."
    That is about 99% correct.

Quote Originally Posted by 1958carnut View Post
    I don't know but just skimming through it, it has all the markings of what could be another major scandal.
    Could be. Will it get any publicity?
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (07-28-2020),Extreme4x4 (08-02-2020)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,042 Times in 2,598 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels
    Australia stands to lose a lot here by speaking up but it goes to who we are in trading our coal,
    iron ore, wheat, barley and university education..

It's not enough to take billions in trade and look the other way but our timing couldn't be worse
    as trade with China will be severely impacted by Australia's continued criticism of Beijing.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpd80 For This Useful Post:

Extreme4x4 (08-02-2020),richmond2000 (07-29-2020)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Mr.Buttons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,256 Times in 715 Posts

Look,for the rest of the world to get the product it need, a few eggs have to be broken and why not in a country that prides itself in breaking eggs?.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,801 Times in 3,775 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Buttons View Post
    Look,for the rest of the world to get the product it need, a few eggs have to be broken and why not in a country that prides itself in breaking eggs?.
    Human beings are not eggs, I know you were probably being ironic

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
    Australia stands to lose a lot here by speaking up but it goes to who we are in trading our coal,
    iron ore, wheat, barley and university education..

It's not enough to take billions in trade and look the other way but our timing couldn't be worse
    as trade with China will be severely impacted by Australia's continued criticism of Beijing.
    China shot itself in the foot by threatening Australia, India and New Zealand. The cold war is going to freeze soon

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

Extreme4x4 (08-02-2020),Neanderthal (07-29-2020)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,042 Times in 2,598 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels
    South China Sea issue now looms large

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
    South China Sea issue now looms large
    India has been flexing a lot around the Malacca Straits and joint exercises with USA and Japan. The UK is also going to be flying the flag in South China sea with their new pocket carrier

27. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information