GM Inside News Forum banner

New Report Accuses GM, BMW, Mercedes, VW, Other Makers of Labor Abuses in China

2K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  Greg Burr 
#1 ·
#9 ·
Commies, in fact all tyrannies, use forced labor as SOP. It's simply the nature of the beast. Call it politics if you choose, but it's simply the way they roll. A more interesting headline would be "No Labor Abuses Found In China."
Now that would be progress.

With the recent reports that I've seen on Nike, I wouldn't doubt that this is true. The concentration camps for the Uyghur Muslims aren't some conspiracy theory. They do exist. And there was recently leaked drone footage of them being herded on to trains.

Sounds like Albert Speer and Nazi Germany. If this is over the political line and violates the "vapid conversation only" rule, then I'm sorry. Assess me points, ban me, whatever. It's also true and is something that our media and most of our government is shamefully silent about. And it is certainly GM-related.
This title is wrong.
It should say "New Report Accuses Anyone Who Makes Anything In China (Is Guilty) Of Labor Abuses."
That is about 99% correct.

I don't know but just skimming through it, it has all the markings of what could be another major scandal.
Could be. Will it get any publicity?

#3 ·
With the recent reports that I've seen on Nike, I wouldn't doubt that this is true. The concentration camps for the Uyghur Muslims aren't some conspiracy theory. They do exist. And there was recently leaked drone footage of them being herded on to trains.

Sounds like Albert Speer and Nazi Germany. If this is over the political line and violates the "vapid conversation only" rule, then I'm sorry. Assess me points, ban me, whatever. It's also true and is something that our media and most of our government is shamefully silent about. And it is certainly GM-related.

#6 ·
That was kind of the defense by Albert Speer and of German companies like IG Farben and Krupp at Nuremberg. "We needed workers. We didn't ask where they came from." And where they came from was concentration camps and foreign workers pressed into service. Fritz Sauckel was hung for providing those workers, and in retrospect Speer likely should have been as well (he got 20 years).

I'm not in the "everyone I hate is Hitler" camp. But there's parallels here. The PRC is not a good place.

#16 · (Edited)
The CEO of VW Group proudly claimed how VW was bringing jobs to the more western parts of the PRC and then feigned ignorance when asked about the forced labor of Uighurs.

Doesn't matter that the PRC is led by a "communist" dictatorship (more of a fascist dictatorship these days), where Xi tries to garner support by riding up his base with a xenophobic, ultra-nationalist platform (which is why the PRC has engaged in territorial disputes and expansion, and is doing everything it can to destroy the culture of minority groups like the Uighurs and Tibetans, so that there would be no threat of an independence movement).

The irony is that there is little to no worker's rights in these countries that had adopted a political system on the basis of worker's rights.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.