MotorTrend parent discontinuing 19 automotive magazines

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MotorTrend parent discontinuing 19 automotive magazines

Thanks
    Thanked 8,172 Times in 4,070 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/motortr...tive-magazines

December 9, 2019
    By Gary Gastelu

MotorTrend parent TEN Publishing is canceling 19 automotive magazine titles at the end of this year. Folio first reported that MotorTrend Group president and General Manager Alex Wellen sent a memo to staffers on Friday announcing the decision.

“While TEN Publishing will no longer print the following magazines, [MotorTrend Group] will continue to offer our audiences and advertisers digital coverage for these discontinued print titles online," Wellen wrote.

The magazines include Automobile, 4-Wheel & Off-Road and Car craft, while Motor Trend, Hot Rod and Four Wheeler will continue in print.

According to Folio, Wellen’s memo said the titles would continue in digital form. No layoffs related to the print cancellations have been announced, but Motor Trend Editor in Chief Ed Loh tweeted on Friday: “Floored by the grace and professionalism of all my colleagues today, both current and (newly) former. Will be sighing and thinking of many of you this weekend.”

Article continues at link including list of all print titles canceled.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride

Re: MotorTrend parent discontinuing 19 automotive magazines

No surprise but I'm still saddened to see one of the magazines that I subscribe to go (Automobile). I've said it many times, I miss the excitement of getting the latest copy of a car magazine and reading it from cover to cover. Now, by the time I get my magazine I've typically already read what interests me on GMI. Time have changed, the auto industry is changing, including the reporting on the industry - paper no longer needed.

I wonder how much longer Car & Driver and Motor Trend have until their print versions are ended?

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

DequindreToo (12-11-2019),Dheart (12-10-2019),eklauss (12-10-2019),Evo69 (12-09-2019),Extreme4x4 (12-09-2019),ksr (12-09-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Lincoln Nautilus

Automobile, Car & Driver, and Motor Trend use to be the car rags I subscribed to and collected. But like anything else, it became obsolete and I stopped that over 10 years ago and just recycled everything.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BORG For This Useful Post:

Citation84 (12-23-2019),eklauss (12-10-2019),Evo69 (12-09-2019),kmacleod (12-09-2019),LONGHORN (12-10-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,200 Times in 2,086 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Considering you can find most everything in any of the magazines online at their site these days, this was only a matter of time. I do however still like getting my Motor Trend in the mail every month and exploring it from cover to cover. That "fun" just never seems to want to die.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by BORG View Post
    Automobile, Car & Driver, and Motor Trend use to be the car rags I subscribed to and collected. But like anything else, it became obsolete and I stopped that over 10 years ago and just recycled everything.
    Same here, though I did keep a few of my favorites from the early 90's maybe late '80's. Haven't looked at them in a long time!

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    CTS-Vagon/11/BD/VetGS/19/white

Motor Trend Editor in Chief Ed Loh tweeted on Friday: “Floored by the grace and professionalism of all my colleagues today, both current and (newly) former. Will be sighing and thinking of many of you this weekend.”

Weren't these the same people who measured the C8 at 650HP? And picked the veloster as HIPO car of the year? I always hate to hear people going to lose their livelihood, but in this case, they sort of did it to themselves.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vagon11 For This Useful Post:

eklauss (12-10-2019),neshapop (12-11-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Today's magazines are nothing but lots of ads cover to cover, not that much in common with the older ones.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to canadian.bacon For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (12-09-2019),Citation84 (12-23-2019),eklauss (12-10-2019),neshapop (12-11-2019),StarCruiser (12-12-2019)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 sdotjeezy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vagon11 View Post
    Motor Trend Editor in Chief Ed Loh tweeted on Friday: “Floored by the grace and professionalism of all my colleagues today, both current and (newly) former. Will be sighing and thinking of many of you this weekend.”

Weren't these the same people who measured the C8 at 650HP? And picked the veloster as HIPO car of the year? I always hate to hear people going to lose their livelihood, but in this case, they sort of did it to themselves.
    Technically they didn't measure the C8 at 650hp....they just wasted everyone's time posting an article w/ that obviously incorrect rating as its basis...and the Veloster perf car of the year article, yeah that was a yuge WTF moment. But what are they supposed to do when H/K is pumping huge amounts of advertising $$$s into their account. Are they supposed to show their loyalty to the truth or to their bottom line?
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

15. The Following User Says Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

eklauss (12-10-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    Monaro converted GTO; '69 442

I always loved Car Craft, and was a subscriber for many years. I was fortunate enough to have the car in my sig featured in it; my sig pic is actually from the photo shoot. It was quite a feeling to have my copy arrive and see my own work in it, along with my mug behind the wheel. Disappointing to think that people won’t have the same pleasure in the future. The thought of being featured on a website just doesn’t quite feel the same somehow.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chris442 For This Useful Post:

eklauss (12-10-2019),impala02 (12-10-2019),NoStopN (12-12-2019),richmond2000 (12-09-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chris442 View Post
    I always loved Car Craft, and was a subscriber for many years. I was fortunate enough to have the car in my sig featured in it; my sig pic is actually from the photo shoot. It was quite a feeling to have my copy arrive and see my own work in it, along with my mug behind the wheel. Disappointing to think that people won’t have the same pleasure in the future. The thought of being featured on a website just doesn’t quite feel the same somehow.
    Car culture as a whole is dying....what sells now is celebrity gossip/fashion, maybe motortrend can start a new magazine called fashion trend where they can tell us what type of skinny jeans are in.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    Car culture as a whole is dying....what sells now is celebrity gossip/fashion, maybe motortrend can start a new magazine called fashion trend where they can tell us what type of skinny jeans are in.
    Ha! MotorTrend would deem skinny jeans as "Not Practical" and recommend you a nice pair of Mom Jeans.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Buttons View Post
    Ha! MotorTrend would deem skinny jeans as "Not Practical" and recommend you a nice pair of Mom Jeans.
    As long as they highlight my fupa, I'm all in.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

JimmyDiablo (12-09-2019),Mr.Buttons (12-09-2019),Tomko (12-09-2019),wallus13 (12-10-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member Extreme4x4's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,243 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Explorer Sport

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    Actually, when I was checking Google to try to find what magazines are all discontinued, I found a site that listed a bunch that are not automotive related. Same problem there. Storied names that my Mom would get when I was a kid and had been around forever, are gone. So, it is hitting everything.

The internet is killing them all, including newspapers. Now, I might add that newspapers have hastened their demise by trying to pass off opinion as news pieces. Our local small town paper was bought out by a large conglomerate, and I wouldn't read it now if you paid me. Regurgitated opinion junk and slanted articles. If I wanted to read that, I would get the Arizona Republic (the company that owns them bought it).
    The resident "girl"

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Extreme4x4 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (12-09-2019),BlackGTP (12-09-2019),eklauss (12-10-2019)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,960 Times in 4,284 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Buttons View Post
    https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...MygMegUIARDvAQ

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme4x4 View Post
    Actually, when I was checking Google to try to find what magazines are all discontinued, I found a site that listed a bunch that are not automotive related. Same problem there. Storied names that my Mom would get when I was a kid and had been around forever, are gone. So, it is hitting everything.

The internet is killing them all, including newspapers. Now, I might add that newspapers have hastened their demise by trying to pass off opinion as news pieces. Our local small town paper was bought out by a large conglomerate, and I wouldn't read it now if you paid me. Regurgitated opinion junk and slanted articles. If I wanted to read that, I would get the Arizona Republic (the company that owns them bought it).
    Funny about those newspaper takeovers. While it's usually a left taking over a right, some time back in Little Rock, Gannet (publisher of the Arkansas Gazette) decided to use their big big muscles to take over the more conservative Arkansas Democrat, owned by a man named Walter Hussman IIRC. It was considered a given, another local paper bites the dust, taken over by Gannet which even then was big and was taking over papers all over the country.
    There was a protracted battle and guess what? Gannet left town whimpering with their tail between their legs, Gazette was broke and Hussman, winner of the Battle of the Bucks, bought it. LOL.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar PHAT-JAY's Avatar
    Thanks

Going to miss LowRider.
    IF IT AINT RWD; AND A CHEVY I DONT RIDE IT!!!!!

ALL CHEVY'S NEED TO BE RWD!!!!!

26. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information