Motor Trend Midsize 3-Row SUV Comparison

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Motor Trend Midsize 3-Row SUV Comparison

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    18 CTS

Motor Trend Midsize 3-Row SUV Comparison

As usual the Kia Telluride wins. The Ford Explorer comes in 8'th out of 9 despite being a brand new vehicle and the only RWD based one in the comparison.

3-Row SUV Comparison Test: Kia Telluride vs. Toyota Highlander vs. Ford Explorer and Six Others
    The 3-row midsize SUV takes its place as the modern-era family-hauler.
    Miguel Cortina, Words. Wesley Allison, Photos. Brandon Lim, Photos.
    Mar 23, 2020
    Motor Trend

The 21st Century has seen Americans ditching minivans for midsized three-row SUVs. In the last decade and a half, about a dozen minivans have been discontinued as the family-hauler of choice. And in the past three years, new names like Atlas, Ascent, Telluride, and Palisade have joined the hyper-competitive three-row SUV segment.

I grew up surrounded by minivans because our family of six required a family hauler that was spacious and comfortable. And we made good use of them. A big family like ours needed a vehicle with plenty of space for six and their gear; a minivan was the only option. Space, safety, and reliability were at the top of my parents' list of must-have transportation features. SUVs were for off-roading, not the road trip or morning school run.

But now, SUVs have evolved and taken over the carpooling and road-trip game. And there are so many to SUVs choose from. So MotorTrend will answer for you: Who makes the best midsize three-row SUV for a big family?

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE
    Last edited by nadepalma; 03-23-2020 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Reformatted; moved to newsticker

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 3,127 Times in 1,622 Posts

Re: Motor Trend Midsize 3-Row SUV Comparison

Surprisingly the Highlander finished 5th...I thought this was going to be the coronation article for it proclaiming it to be king of the segment.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

Thanks
    Thanked 4,280 Times in 2,766 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

This from the text is quite telling
    6th Place Chevrolet Traverse
    A strong SUV just three years ago, the Traverse has suffered at the hands of the newer players in the segment. A rental car feel at a high price.
    I'm a bit betwixt of one side or the other on this. On the one hand for as good as the Traverse is, is GM about it's usual business of just good enough and failure to advance and continually improve to keep up with the continual onslaught of those all new entries continually coming into the arena or what?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 4,280 Times in 2,766 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    Surprisingly the Highlander finished 5th...I thought this was going to be the coronation article for it proclaiming it to be king of the segment.
    Me too to a degree. But as stated by others in these threads here at GMI, the Hyundai/Kia thing is a force to be reckoned with as of late.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,174 Times in 2,664 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels
    In spite of all the negativity written about the Explorer, it picked up a ton of high series retail sales in February before coronavirus struck.

So now it looks like we’re in a period of enforced austerity where people’s earnings and savings are severely drained. So I think this whole year will be a write off for everyone save for those manufacturers throwing 2020 stock under a bus with 20%, maybe 30% discounts.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jpd80 For This Useful Post:

Extreme4x4 (03-23-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,150 Times in 1,592 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 BMW 320i and '72 Nova

The article indicates there's a significant gap between the top four finishers in this test (Telluride, Pilot, Ascent, and Palisade) and the rest. Looks like Toyota didn't aim very high with the 2020 Highlander. Then again, it probably doesn't need to.
    God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

10. The Following User Says Thank You to gkr778 For This Useful Post:

eklauss (03-25-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
    The article indicates there's a significant gap between the top four finishers in this test (Telluride, Pilot, Ascent, and Palisade) and the rest. Looks like Toyota didn't aim very high with the 2020 Highlander. Then again, it probably doesn't need to.
    I expected it to do at least as well as the pilot. The H/K twins are in another league and honestly felt that the Subaru would be towards the rear. I guess we now know who paid up this time.

Also finally glad to.see a review that doesnt place the cx9 higher because of it's fun to drive traits...a family hauler is useless if it cant haul a family.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar impala02's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 BMW 535i xDrive

I think the surprise here is the poor showing of the Explorer. More like the biggest embarrassment as the brand new Explorer finished in 8th place. Absolutely pathetic.

From the article:
    We were most disappointed by the interior of the Explorer, which was rife with poor material choices, creaky joinery, and even exposed wires. "There's an abuse of scratchy plastics on the doors and dash," associate online editor Nick Yekikian said. "The leatherette feels like rubber. It's almost mushy. The center console lid closes with a really unsatisfying clap." The Explorer XLT starts at a tempting $37,770, but our model came with almost $10,000 in options, bumping its price to $47,715—yet the amount of cheap, black plastic on its grille, profile, mirror caps, and throughout its interior had us wandering if this was the work truck version.
    Exposed wires? Are you kidding me? And their pricing is out of control. When I was shopping in Dec/Jan, I was floored by the pricing of the XLT and quickly moved on.

Quote Originally Posted by 1958carnut View Post
    This from the text is quite telling I'm a bit betwixt of one side or the other on this. On the one hand for as good as the Traverse is, is GM about it's usual business of just good enough and failure to advance and continually improve to keep up with the continual onslaught of those all new entries continually coming into the arena or what?
    You would think that the new Explorer on an all new platform would wipe the floor with the Traverse...
    2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    2015 BMW 535i xDrive
    2011 BMW 328i xDrive

13. The Following User Says Thank You to impala02 For This Useful Post:

eklauss (03-25-2020)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,174 Times in 2,664 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by impala02 View Post
    I think the surprise here is the poor showing of the Explorer. More like the biggest embarrassment as the brand new Explorer finished in 8th place. Absolutely pathetic.

From the article:
    We were most disappointed by the interior of the Explorer, which was rife with poor material choices, creaky joinery, and even exposed wires. "There's an abuse of scratchy plastics on the doors and dash," associate online editor Nick Yekikian said. "The leatherette feels like rubber. It's almost mushy. The center console lid closes with a really unsatisfying clap." The Explorer XLT starts at a tempting $37,770, but our model came with almost $10,000 in options, bumping its price to $47,715—yet the amount of cheap, black plastic on its grille, profile, mirror caps, and throughout its interior had us wandering if this was the work truck version.
    Exposed wires? Are you kidding me? And their pricing is out of control. When I was shopping in Dec/Jan, I was floored by the pricing of the XLT and quickly moved on.

Quote Originally Posted by 1958carnut View Post
    This from the text is quite telling I'm a bit betwixt of one side or the other on this. On the one hand for as good as the Traverse is, is GM about it's usual business of just good enough and failure to advance and continually improve to keep up with the continual onslaught of those all new entries continually coming into the arena or what?
    You would think that the new Explorer on an all new platform would wipe the floor with the Traverse...
    It did with sales in February, a lot of them were high series too, lots of STs.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
    It did with sales in February, a lot of them were high series too, lots of STs.
    And that's the only one on this list that excites me even the slightest, as Ford at least attempted to do a performance trim with a hotter engine. No one else is doing this. I really hope the ST trim sells well to show others there is a market for this... I'd still love to see the 3.0TT in the Traverse or even in an Equinox SS.
    Current Vehicles:
    1999 Tahoe 4x4 - daily driver
    1999 Camaro Z28 - bolt-on weekend vehicle
    2015 Equinox LTX - wife's car

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Z Fury For This Useful Post:

eklauss (03-25-2020),RedSkyBlackDream (03-25-2020),sledgehammer777 (03-24-2020)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,569 Times in 4,180 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

I am looking at replacing my 2013 Traverse in about 4 years, at about 200K, with the way it is now, it does not seem like it’s going to have problems at those miles. Fingers crossed. I would be inclined to go with a LWB BOF, probably low miles, used, just like we did with Traverse, however, we might just get another vehicle in this segment.
    I just do not see how the others overcome Traverse Size to win in a family vehicle. Explorer is the only one that comes close in interior space, as far as I can tell. Unless space no longer matters to families.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

eklauss (03-25-2020),orville (03-27-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by impala02 View Post

From the article:

Actually not surprised about the Explorer at all, the non-ST trims had been getting hammered in all of it's reviews...cheap interior, squishy handling, build issues, etc...IMO the Highlander's disappointing finish is more surprising than anything.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

20. The Following User Says Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

gkr778 (03-24-2020)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Actually not surprised about the Explorer at all, the non-ST trims had been getting hammered in all of it's reviews...cheap interior, squishy handling, build issues, etc...IMO the Highlander's disappointing finish is more surprising than anything.
    Doesn't bode well for the Mustang when it moves to that platform.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PastorChevyGuy View Post
    Not really, its how the lower trims are calibrated more than anything...No one is complaining about the Aviator's ride or the STs ride, is the mustang even moving to this platform I didn't think it was.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

23. The Following User Says Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

CJH (03-24-2020)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,566 Times in 1,180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PastorChevyGuy View Post
    Not really, its how the lower trims are calibrated more than anything...No one is complaining about the Aviator's ride or the STs ride, is the mustang even moving to this platform I didn't think it was.
    It was going to but I think they decided to keep it on an updated version of it's current platform.

25. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information