Lee Iacocca passed away at 94 - Page 3

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lee Iacocca passed away at 94

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,986 Times in 3,807 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Re: Lee Iacocca passed away at 94

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Burr View Post
    Thanks for the info. I had heard that Edsel died from a broken heart.
    I believe he did, essentially. Henry had a long and wide mean streak.

On another note, I always thought McNamara was a fool. He may have done some good work in WWII, but if he wasn't the stereotypical classic pencil-pushing geek who never set foot in the real world, I don't know who is.
    What was his mantra, Cost/Benefit Analysis? He's the guy who forced the F-111 to do duty for the Navy and the AF IIRC, the compromises didn't work out great for either. Some people shouldn't be allowed to touch anything past an adding machine.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Greg Burr's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2017 Ford Mustang Pony

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post

On another note, I always thought McNamara was a fool. He may have done some good work in WWII, but if he wasn't the stereotypical classic pencil-pushing geek who never set foot in the real world, I don't know who is.
    What was his mantra, Cost/Benefit Analysis? He's the guy who forced the F-111 to do duty for the Navy and the AF IIRC, the compromises didn't work out great for either. Some people shouldn't be allowed to touch anything past an adding machine.
    I worked in a non-automotive unit of Ford in San Francisco, USL Capital. I toiled in the finance system that he built. He was a whiz kid and was mentioned at length in The Reckoning. As for the F-111, my father told me about how that plane was no good for the Navy: it was too heavy to take off and land on a carrier, so you can guess how that worked out. Then McNamara went to the World Bank. My dad considered him as an example of someone who gets to be in charge of thinks even if he messes up royally. He got the gigs probably because he was a Harvard man.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Burr For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (07-08-2019)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Funny thing about Henry and Edsel is that Henry Ford gets all the credit but, really, Edsel (and Henry II) had much, much, much more to do with creating the Ford we know today than Henry Sr did. Total Performance, F-Series Truck dominance, the Mustang, the Ford V8 engine.....all of those are covered with the fingerprints of his kids.
    Last edited by SVT74; 07-07-2019 at 12:19 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SVT74 For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (07-07-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,521 Times in 1,103 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Quote Originally Posted by bmwboy2007 View Post
    Lido was one of the great ones, no doubt.. The K car cheapness was rather breathtaking however.. There was no way to make those cars desirable to any but the most budget bound.
    I disagree on desirable towards the K car
    it was VERY MODERN and VERY AFFORDABLE and the US economy was reeling from oil crises and down turn in the economy and the Japanese were NOT QUALITY outside of battery radios
    the K car "family" was WAY BETTER then what FORD OR GM was offering TILL the Taurus came out years later

also on reliability remember NOTHING WAS RELIABLE in the early 80's and driveability was BAD to say the least

9. The Following User Says Thank You to richmond2000 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (07-07-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000 View Post
    it was VERY MODERN and VERY AFFORDABLE and the US economy was reeling from oil crises and down turn in the economy and the Japanese were NOT QUALITY outside of battery radios
    the K car "family" was WAY BETTER then what FORD OR GM was offering TILL the Taurus came out years later

also on reliability remember NOTHING WAS RELIABLE in the early 80's and driveability was BAD to say the least
    I had a '79 Parisienne (the big car, Bonnie was a mid-size at the time, don't ask) and an 82-ish 'vette stick shift. Other than some electric problems when I first bought the car used, no problem with the Poncho. My 'vette was trouble-free...until the AC compressor went kaputski. That was about the equal of the car's value at that point, so it went bye-bye.

Don't think I ever drove a K car. Omni,yes. It had lots of troubles. Plus the dealer was a douche and a prick.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chinamonty View Post
    Mustang Wagon for his hearse? sad when anyone dies but 94 is a pretty good innings. RIP Lee and thanks for you input to the automotive world.
    Honestly, a mint condition 1st gen Dodge Caravan would be a most appropriate hearse for him. Triple black.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to fastbal1 For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (07-07-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000 View Post

Well, Japanese quality was tops going back to 1976 when the Civic and Corolla started selling a 100,000+. By the time the K-Cars came out in ‘81, the Honda Accord had been on Car and Driver’s 10 best list 2 times.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to fastbal1 For This Useful Post:

gkr778 (07-08-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by fastbal1 View Post
    Honestly, a mint condition 1st gen Dodge Caravan would be a most appropriate hearse for him. Triple black.
    That's a great idea, plus it could spike the market for cherry old Caravans of that era.

Quote Originally Posted by fastbal1 View Post
    Well, Japanese quality was tops going back to 1976 when the Civic and Corolla started selling a 100,000+. By the time the K-Cars came out in ‘81, the Honda Accord had been on Car and Driver’s 10 best list 2 times.
    Yeah, the Yanks had big union troubles at the time, nobody gave a damn, guys left soft drink bottles and other gifts inside doors and other places.

When I worked the line in the early 70s, with Johnny Cash, I had a bud who did the drive-offs at Final. Some of that crap that was "Finished, ready to ship" was seriously ragged. Some of the damn things would hardly start or ran like someone had crossed the plug wires. Which wouldn't surprise me, a buddy and I did that to his older brother once on his '54 Ford and we had a good laugh when he got back home. "I wondered why this thing was running like crap!"

Nobody cared, you couldn't get fired, hard work was rewarded the same as the worthless turds who got paid to breathe air.

Honda came in and built a plant at Marysville Ohio and va va va voom they were off and running. They didn't run their plant on the American model, unlike VW in PA who imported American bosses and American unions and they were officially screwed at that point, it just took time for the pieces to all fall off in-flight.

Honda should have coined the phrase "We Are Professional Grade" because they trained the core workers, some went to Japan to get immersed in some culture, they wore coveralls, management and workers, they all had the same locker room, there were no "Management" parking spots or worse yet, "Management" free cars maintained by the company. Which divorces said management from reality and they have no idea if the factory is building Good Stuff or Hopeless Junk.

I had a '71 Hondacar, I ran that thing mercilessly--but changed O&F religiously with the best oil I could find--and it never gave me a lick of trouble. Bulletproof.
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 07-07-2019 at 10:33 PM.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

gkr778 (07-08-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 961 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 BMW 320i and '72 Nova

Honda should have coined the phrase "We Are Professional Grade" because they trained the core workers, some went to Japan to get immersed in some culture, they wore coveralls, management and workers, they all had the same locker room, there were no "Management" parking spots or worse yet, "Management" free cars maintained by the company. Which divorces said management from reality and they have no idea if the factory is building Good Stuff or Hopeless Junk.

I had a '71 Hondacar, I ran that thing mercilessly--but changed O&F religiously with the best oil I could find--and it never gave me a lick of trouble. Bulletproof.
    +1
    Yet Iacocca along with other executives at U.S. automakers claimed (incorrectly, of course) that "unfair trade practices" accounted for Honda's success.

Here's an excellent article that Joel Kotkin wrote for the November 1986 issue of Inc. magazine, comparing Lee Iacocca and Soichiro Honda:

Mr. Iacocca, Meet Mr, Honda
    God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

18. The Following User Says Thank You to gkr778 For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (07-08-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
    +1
    Yet Iacocca along with other executives at U.S. automakers claimed (incorrectly, of course) that "unfair trade practices" accounted for Honda's success.

Here's an excellent article that Joel Kotkin wrote for the November 1986 issue of Inc. magazine, comparing Lee Iacocca and Soichiro Honda:

Mr. Iacocca, Meet Mr, Honda
    Interesting piece, thanks.
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 07-08-2019 at 08:37 AM.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    19 F150 Screw 3.5 EB

Mr Honda was a genius, but that was a very biased article.

21. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information