Last Vehicle Rolls of Line at N.J. Plant

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Last Vehicle Rolls of Line at N.J. Plant

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,033 Times in 997 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Wed Apr 20, 6:36 PM ET

By DAVID PORTER, Associated Press Writer

LINDEN, N.J. - The last automobile manufactured in New Jersey rolled off the assembly line to little fanfare Wednesday, a quiet but momentous end to an industry that once employed thousands of workers and helped fuel the state's economy.

After operating for 68 years, during which it produced nearly 9 million vehicles and manufactured fighter planes during World War II, the General Motors plant in Linden produced its final sport utility vehicle, a white Chevy Blazer.

The GM plant and the Ford plant in nearby Edison, which closed in late February, were the last two auto assembly lines in New Jersey.

At a barbecue in a parking lot across from the plant Wednesday, about three dozen workers flipped burgers, drank beer and soft drinks and swapped stories. Most of the stories revolved around a common theme: leaving co-workers was akin to leaving family.

"This closing is not easy, even though we saw it coming," said Faye Reck, 52, who worked at the plant for more than 26 years. "It's like you're losing your family. You spent most of your life with these people. We're like brothers and sisters."

Declining sales of the Blazer and GMC Jimmy led the company to end production of the two SUVs that had been assembled at the plant since 1993. The plant had cut back from two shifts to one in 2002, causing about 1,000 layoffs. The 1,000 remaining workers learned last year that the plant would be ending production in early 2005.

In its heyday, the plant produced Buicks, Oldsmobiles and Pontiacs. During World War II, it was re-engineered to produce Grumman Wildcat fighter planes before resuming automobile production in 1946. In 1971, it became the first plant outside of Detroit to produce Cadillacs, according to a company release.

Ford operated several plants in New Jersey at various times in the last century, and there were more than 13,000 jobs in auto manufacturing in New Jersey as recently as 1990, said James W. Hughes, dean of the Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy at Rutgers University.

Continue Reading.... http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...last_vehicle_1

---------------------------------------------------------------

Coming from Jersey, this kind of hits close to home. I used to drive by this plant, and the Ford plant in Edison, when I was going to college at Rutgers. Sad to see the last plant close in Jersey.
    Last edited by nsap; 04-21-2005 at 08:02 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Contributor Premium Member nailhead425's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Last Vehicle Rolls of Line at N.J. Plant

Quote Originally Posted by nadepalma
    Many working in Linden were hired in the mid-1970s. Those with 30 years of employment by the time the union contract ends in 2007 will qualify for full retirement benefits.
    I should be so fortunate.

Meanwhile, GM struggles to stay profitable...
    Who is John Galt?
    -

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 griswold44's Avatar
    Thanks

Was the last Blazer a 4 or a 2 door? Is GM going to do anything with it or just send it to a dealers lot?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Has to be a 2-door, 4-door production stopped 1+ years ago. They should have made the last one a 2-door xtreme and sent it to the museum. That highly misunderstood working man's chassis did a lot for GM. 20+ years in service and people still complain about it not being good. It served a purpose, provided transportation to a specific niche, and took very well to modification. What more could you ask for?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Askani
    Has to be a 2-door, 4-door production stopped 1+ years ago. They should have made the last one a 2-door xtreme and sent it to the museum. That highly misunderstood working man's chassis did a lot for GM. 20+ years in service and people still complain about it not being good. It served a purpose, provided transportation to a specific niche, and took very well to modification. What more could you ask for?
    Well the 4 door was produced for fleets for 05 so it could have still been a 4 door. Does anyone one know the fate of the last one?

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) asim's Avatar
    Thanks

i have seen the old 4 door blazer like the one ppl are talking about here, but instead of the badge being blazer- it was marked TrailBlazer
    I'll make a new sig. Later.
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by asim
    i have seen the old 4 door blazer like the one ppl are talking about here, but instead of the badge being blazer- it was marked TrailBlazer

They did have a special top-of-the-line TrailBlazer edition of the regular Blazer from 1999-2001 (complete with gold badging, gold accents on the wheels, and special interior features), but of course that was dropped when the stand-alone TrailBlazer was introduced in 2002.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

I work down the highway from the GM Linden plant. It will be sad seeing it go - I loved looking at the new models on display in front - but it was understandable. The plant has a huge piece of property, with direct access to railroad lines (passenger and freight), and two or three major highways - with two airports,including Newark Internationa, within minutes.

The land must be worth a fortune. GM needs the money.

Ford's factorty down the street in Edison has already been demolished to make may for a huge development project (townhouses I think - I can't see with all of the excavated dirt they piled up.) Ford likely got a nice piece of change for its NJ land as well.

I once owned a '90 Beretta assembled in Linden, and felt especially proud of purchasing a car made in my own backyard.

Guess those days are over for good.

Thanks

That kind of made me sick when I heard that the last Cavalier would not be saved and simply sent to a dealers lot. Sadly I think nobody will save this thing in a museum because the only thing it represents is the last car built in New Jersey. Does anybody know that happened to the last Camaro? I remember it was a bright rally red Z28 that rolled of the assembly line on August 29th 2002. That was a sad time and I'm still bitter. I cant imagine what these people are thinking.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SSrevolution
    That kind of made me sick when I heard that the last Cavalier would not be saved and simply sent to a dealers lot. Sadly I think nobody will save this thing in a museum because the only thing it represents is the last car built in New Jersey. Does anybody know that happened to the last Camaro? I remember it was a bright rally red Z28 that rolled of the assembly line on August 29th 2002. That was a sad time and I'm still bitter. I cant imagine what these people are thinking.
    The last Cavalier may still be at the plant because don't the manufacturers hold cars at the plant and wait for some already on dealers lots to sell? If so then the last Cavalier may still be there. I have a feeling GM is just going to send the last Blazer to a dealers lot or send it to Avis . They should at least keep the last Blazer considering it's been around since 1969 & its the last car to be produced in N.J.
    Last edited by griswold44; 04-22-2005 at 05:30 PM.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

The same week that Hummer starts building the H3, Chevy produces its final Blazer in Linden.

But trust me, it needed to happen. As a NJ resident living here where there are over 1,000 people per square mile, more densely populated than Japan, the land is valuable. NJ also has the 1st or 2nd highest incomes of any of the 50 states. The land sits only minutes away from New York City.

I also know GM didn't get much from the state to stay. But we have a booming economy, booming population and a huge immigrant population.

Besides, they are building the Solstice in our neighbor to the South in Delaware, so if I need to see a plant I will go there.

But still I will miss seeing the Edison and Lynden plants among the smoke stacks and traffic jams when I sometimes venture to the Far East in my state.

Still we have the 1 million acres of the Pine Barrens forest preserve if we need some wild life. Then there is Atlantic City and the beaches. Great Adventure and the tallest, fastest roller coaster in the world in Jackson, NJ.

We'll be alright.

So come to NJ. Come visit, stay a while or stay forever. New Jersey and you, perfect together.
    Last edited by ethayes; 04-22-2005 at 09:18 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ethayes
    The same week that Hummer starts building the H3, Chevy produces its final Blazer in Linden.

But trust me, it needed to happen. As a NJ resident living here where there are over 1,000 people per square mile, more densely populated than Japan, the land is valuable. NJ also has the 1st or 2nd highest incomes of any of the 50 states. The land sits only minutes away from New York City.

I also know GM didn't get much from the state to stay. But we have a booming economy, booming population and a huge immigrant population.

Besides, they are building the Solstice in our neighbor to the South in Delaware, so if I need to see a plant I will go there.

But still I will miss seeing the Edison and Lynden plants among the smoke stacks and traffic jams when I sometimes venture to the Far East in my state.

Still we have the 1 million acres of the Pine Barrens forest preserve if we need some wild life. Then there is Atlantic City and the beaches. Great Adventure and the tallest, fastest roller coaster in the world in Jackson, NJ.

We'll be alright.

So come to NJ. Come visit, stay a while or stay forever. New Jersey and you, perfect together.
    Was the first H3 produced before the final Blazer? If so then we can safely say that GM produced the H3 while they were still making Blazers.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Hummer H3 production began on Monday April 18, 2005. GM haulted production of the Blazer at the Linden, NJ plant on Wednesday April 20, 2005. For three days straight GM was producing both the Hummer H3 and Blazer models.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 AndrewGS's Avatar
    Thanks

This sucks. Another great GM nameplate put to rest. I'd also like to know the model and fate of the last Blazer.

As for the property, it costs quite a bit to close and sell a factory because of all the EPA work that has to be done. Another American factory closed by GM, a new one being opened shortly by Toyota.
    Andrew - Hidden Content - Hidden Content - KD5FHW
    2014 Chevrolet Sonic RS
    2014 Ford Flex Limited EcoBoost

Hidden Content
    Do you remember back in old LA, when everybody drove a Chevrolet? ♫

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ethayes
    Hummer H3 production began on Monday April 18, 2005. GM haulted production of the Blazer at the Linden, NJ plant on Wednesday April 20, 2005. For three days straight GM was producing both the Hummer H3 and Blazer models.
    Thank You.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information