Japanese automakers tout US-based jobs at all-time high

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Japanese automakers tout US-based jobs at all-time high

Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 623 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Cadillac XT5 - 16 Traverse

Japanese automakers tout US-based jobs at all-time high

Japanese automakers have cumulatively invested about $51 billion in manufacturing in the United States over the span of decades, JAMA data shows. From 2011 to 2018, direct employment in the U.S. at Japanese automakers grew by nearly 29%. In 2018, JAMA manufacturers built 3.7 million vehicles and 4.4 million engines.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/21/japa...-on-trump.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Re: Japanese automakers tout US-based jobs at all-time high

I love this

Japanese automakers, led by Toyota Motor President Akio Toyoda, had more harsh words for U.S. President Donald Trump Tuesday after he labeled international auto imports a threat to national security last week.
    OK, I'm primed to see the sparks fly, then I read this.

“We are dismayed to hear a message suggesting that our long-time contributions of investment and employment in the United States are not welcomed,” said Toyoda, chairman of the Japanese Automobile Manufacturing Association.
    Wow, that is really harsh! Media credibility takes another hit.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Trump should keep slapping Mary B. instead of picking on Japan and the EU. The sale of Lordstown and parts production for Oshawa are just smoke screen to cover up the thousands still loosing their jobs.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to joey For This Useful Post:

Let Them Fail (05-22-2019)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 CMiatso DaBang's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joey View Post
    Trump should keep slapping Mary B. instead of picking on Japan and the EU. The sale of Lordstown and parts production for Oshawa are just smoke screen to cover up the thousands still loosing their jobs.
    Naaah.. Trump should slap the **** out of Americans who buy those Japanese or European vehicles then bitch and complain about loosing their jobs.

"yes GM and Ford.. Employee is all.. Save all the plants that U have in abundance over the combined JAMU ones, so that we can go out and spend out GM or Ford paychecks on Toyota, Honda, VW, etc"

Yeah that makes sense.. Ain't nothing over at any of those brands not on par or better than why GM and Ford are selling. U wanna be blown away? Explain to me why anyone would buy a Titan, Ridgeline, or Tundra over the American trucks?
    My current crop is 2016 CTSV Fully loaded, 2016 Corvette Z06 3LT fully loaded, 2015 GMC Yukon SLT Fully loaded, 2014 Impala LTZ, fully loaded, 2011 Chevy Cruze (kid's) LTZ, fully loaded, 1966 Chevy Impala SS 396 4spd Muncie 3.73 gears, 2003 Harley Softail with Rinehart exhaust, 2016 Harley Night Rod Special Hidden Content

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Sierra Denali Ultimate

Nah Trump should slap all of those people that don't know the difference between lose and loose.

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CMiatso DaBang View Post
    Naaah.. Trump should slap the **** out of Americans who buy those Japanese or European vehicles then bitch and complain about loosing their jobs.

"yes GM and Ford.. Employee is all.. Save all the plants that U have in abundance over the combined JAMU ones, so that we can go out and spend out GM or Ford paychecks on Toyota, Honda, VW, etc"

Yeah that makes sense.. Ain't nothing over at any of those brands not on par or better than why GM and Ford are selling. U wanna be blown away? Explain to me why anyone would buy a Titan, Ridgeline, or Tundra over the American trucks?
    Define "American"

Titan - Built in Tenn.
    Tundra - Built in Texas

The Ridgeline is built in Canada which is not America. And what about FIAT? Dodge is built in the US but is foreign owned. And if "Buying American" IS the driver here, why buy a Mexican built Chevy over any of them? Certainly not for those stellar safety scores.

I know quite a few takers of all three Japanese makes. Some of them came from Domestic makes that were not reliable or dependable. Others wanted a car-like ride which the Ridgeline offers. Others are diehard Taco buyers who won't buy anything else. And then there are those who are lured by RAM's incredible interior and amenities (and the fantastic ZF tranny mentioned in that other article).

Me? I think the pickup truck is the most uninteresting, most boring class of vehicle outside of the work van. But, they are a necessity for some and a statement piece for the others. Point is, having a choice is better for the consumer. If the entire population of truck owners only drove Fords and GM's then these companies will get lax and rest on their laurels because there will be no reason to improve.
    Last edited by Let Them Fail; 05-22-2019 at 09:54 AM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Let Them Fail For This Useful Post:

joey (05-22-2019),richmond2000 (05-22-2019)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 CMiatso DaBang's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Let Them Fail View Post
    Define "American"

Titan - Built in Tenn.
    Tundra - Built in Texas

The Ridgeline is built in Canada which is not America. And what about FIAT? Dodge is built in the US but is foreign owned. And if "Buying American" IS the driver here, why buy a Mexican built Chevy over any of them? Certainly not for those stellar safety scores.

I know quite a few takers of all three Japanese makes. Some of them came from Domestic makes that were not reliable or dependable. Others wanted a car-like ride which the Ridgeline offers. Others are diehard Taco buyers who won't buy anything else. And then there are those who are lured by RAM's incredible interior and amenities (and the fantastic ZF tranny mentioned in that other article).

Me? I think the pickup truck is the most uninteresting, most boring class of vehicle outside of the work van. But, they are a necessity for some and a statement piece for the others. Point is, having a choice is better for the consumer. If the entire population of truck owners only drove Fords and GM's then these companies will get lax and rest on their laurels because there will be no reason to improve.
    Definition of American vehicles is GM or Ford

I didn't even mention FCA. And Ram does not have an "incredible" interior. It has a nice interior in certain trims..

Second.. and my point. There has never been a lost of perception on GM or Ford trucks in terms of capability, reliability, or endurance. There are plenty of things one can easily point out in the negative about the Japanese made trucks. REGARDLESS.. U want GM and Ford to continue employing Americans.. yet your name is LET THEM FAIL. Amazing.

"GM/Ford Employee every one.. don't close up any plants.. while we buy Toyotas and Hondas.."

Yeah that makes sense
    My current crop is 2016 CTSV Fully loaded, 2016 Corvette Z06 3LT fully loaded, 2015 GMC Yukon SLT Fully loaded, 2014 Impala LTZ, fully loaded, 2011 Chevy Cruze (kid's) LTZ, fully loaded, 1966 Chevy Impala SS 396 4spd Muncie 3.73 gears, 2003 Harley Softail with Rinehart exhaust, 2016 Harley Night Rod Special Hidden Content

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CMiatso DaBang View Post
    Definition of American vehicles is GM or Ford

I didn't even mention FCA. And Ram does not have an "incredible" interior. It has a nice interior in certain trims..

Second.. and my point. There has never been a lost of perception on GM or Ford trucks in terms of capability, reliability, or endurance. There are plenty of things one can easily point out in the negative about the Japanese made trucks. REGARDLESS.. U want GM and Ford to continue employing Americans.. yet your name is LET THEM FAIL. Amazing.

"GM/Ford Employee every one.. don't close up any plants.. while we buy Toyotas and Hondas.."

Yeah that makes sense
    It makes less sense telling these same employees to buy Korean/Chinese/Mexican/Polish/Brazilian/etc. Fords and GM's. At least buying another brand that's built by Americans is contributing to the US workforce while those others (K/C/M...) literally contribute ONLY to the pockets of the execs at GM and Ford.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Let Them Fail For This Useful Post:

joey (05-22-2019)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    19 F150 Screw 3.5 EB

Quote Originally Posted by Let Them Fail View Post
    Define "American"

Titan - Built in Tenn.
    Tundra - Built in Texas

All F Series trucks are built in US plants as well as the engineering in US facilities.

My last 07 F150 had 197k miles when I bought my new one. No engine or transmission repairs ever. Outside of tires and brakes I spent less than $1000 keeping it on the road. Don't think a Japanese truck with worse FE and make believe reliability is worth the lack of usefulness.

There isn't any real competition from the Japanese trucks and yet the domestics keep improving. As far as being boring, I can use the capabilities of my truck far more often than I ever did with my 08 Mustang GT.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information