Hummer Super Bowl Ad To Feature LeBron James

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hummer Super Bowl Ad To Feature LeBron James

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,011 Times in 1,095 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Jaguar F-Type (Manual)

Hummer Super Bowl Ad To Feature LeBron James

The Wall Street Journal
    January 10, 2020

GM has enlisted NBA superstar LeBron James to promote Hummer’s return, including a plan to air a commercial during the Super Bowl next month, said one of these people and another person with knowledge of the advertising plans.

GM executives have talked about the possibility of adding more rugged, off-road models to challenge the rising popularity of Fiat Chrysler’s Jeep brand.

Barclays analyst Brian Johnson said a strategy to put Hummer under the GMC banner makes sense as a way to leverage a well-known name without building costly sales and distribution infrastructure around it, which hurt Hummer last time around.

“Had gas prices not skyrocketed, and had they perhaps marketed it within another brand as opposed to having to set up infrastructure, maybe it would have stuck around longer,” Mr. Johnson said.

The Hummer name is derived from the military vehicle known as the Humvee, which is still made by AM General of South Bend, Ind. GM acquired the civilian version in the late 1990s and aggressively expanded its dealership network while gaining attention from celebrity owners like Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Early Hummer models weighed 6,000-plus pounds and returned just 10 miles a gallon in average fuel economy. A Sierra Club official once said Hummer “embodied the worst impulses of the American auto industry.”

Mr. James has a long list of endorsements, including a lifetime deal with Nike Inc. Forbes ranks the Los Angeles Laker as the highest-paid player in the National Basketball Association and estimates that he will bring in $92 million in salary and endorsements for the 2019-2020 season.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,011 Times in 1,095 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Jaguar F-Type (Manual)

Re: BREAKING: Hummer Super Bowl Ad To Feature LeBron James

The Hummer electric pickup will be sold as an individual model within GMC.
    This is only a possible disaster.

A good way to bring back the storied Hummer name without spending a boatload of capital.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Perian For This Useful Post:

ksr (01-10-2020)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,043 Times in 3,403 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

The thing though is, they got to make it true to the H1.

All 4 corners independent suspension

tires that can self inflate and deflate

locking diff, front and back

ZR2 Shocks on all 4 corners

a simple interior layout.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,921 Times in 974 Posts

What is Lebron going to talk about on the ad...how to get your friends to quit on the team they're under contract with in order to force said team to trade them to the same team as Lebron.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (01-10-2020),Chassis Guy (01-10-2020),CJH (01-10-2020),Neanderthal (01-10-2020)

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

I have never liked having professional sports players as spokespersons for products.

So many professional sports players are thugs, criminals and drug abusers. Their endorsements always turns me off to the product.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 1999 White C5 Coupe For This Useful Post:

Al465 (01-10-2020)

Thanks

^^^^This post is racist as -----. The dude literally built a state of the art school for inner city kids to have a chance at a decent education, and you just come in and call him and his kind thugs, criminals and drug abusers. I mean, what in the hell does he have to do, in your eyes to see him as a decent human being. Look past the skin, my dude, I'll send some prayers your way in hopes that the man upstairs changes your though process.

#ThisisMurica2020
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

91fairladyZ (01-10-2020),AutoCrazy (01-12-2020),BahamaTodd (01-12-2020),Juche (01-11-2020),mbukukanyau (01-12-2020),wallus13 (01-11-2020)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar PHAT-JAY's Avatar
    Thanks

Funny....
    IF IT AINT RWD; AND A CHEVY I DONT RIDE IT!!!!!

ALL CHEVY'S NEED TO BE RWD!!!!!

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Accord Coupe' V6 6spd

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    What is Lebron going to talk about on the ad...how to get your friends to quit on the team they're under contract with in order to force said team to trade them to the same team as Lebron.
    Well, he did buy a Hummer right before he was initially drafted... I guess that makes him qualified.
    "I do not care about inequality because I'm not envious. I care about poverty."

Apostrophes: Hidden Content

Spelling: Hidden Content

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mentat Bashar For This Useful Post:

Cobaltss_King (01-12-2020)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 HHR SS

Something about a Ship of Fools seems appropriate here. GM bringing this name back is questionable.

Having the least loyal, most "me first" person as spokesman is terrible. "The decision" is all you needed to know, but it has continued.

I'm not racist, but why not choose someone else? There are many other possibilities, maybe someone who could sell the off-roading capabilities to the public. This isn't an Escalade!

Oh well.

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,058 Times in 1,409 Posts

I never liked the Hummer brand name, but at least it's only being brought back as a model, or sub-brand, under GMC.

Did Lebron clear this with his Chinese overlords? I like the idea of a big name spokesman, but not so sure this is the right time for Lebron. His reputation isn't exactly sterling right now.
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,197 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chassis Guy View Post
    Something about a Ship of Fools seems appropriate here. GM bringing this name back is questionable.

Having the least loyal, most "me first" person as spokesman is terrible. "The decision" is all you needed to know, but it has continued.

I'm not racist, but why not choose someone else? There are many other possibilities, maybe someone who could sell the off-roading capabilities to the public. This isn't an Escalade!

Oh well.
    He's a better former owner than a certain ancient washed up actor/politician as a brand ambassador. Lebron can at least bring in his legion of youth for new customers to GMC.

Quote Originally Posted by ksr View Post
    I never liked the Hummer brand name, but at least it's only being brought back as a model, or sub-brand, under GMC.

Did Lebron clear this with his Chinese overlords? I like the idea of a big name spokesman, but not so sure this is the right time for Lebron. His reputation isn't exactly sterling right now.
    With China mandating total EV no ICE, it's even more reason to use Lebron no?
    Last edited by JimmyDiablo; 01-10-2020 at 07:04 PM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to JimmyDiablo For This Useful Post:

usa1 (01-12-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chassis Guy View Post

Oh well.
    Not liking lebron doesnt make you racist...hell I dont like him as a ball player, I hate what he did to the NBA, but to shun the endorsement because pro athletes are thugs (codeword), criminals, and drug abusers is flat out BS and needs to be called out.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

CJH
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,646 Times in 926 Posts
    My Ride
    Audi S4, Merc GL

Not liking lebron doesnt make you racist...hell I dont like him as a ball player, I hate what he did to the NBA
    Not a fan, he's no MJ. If you want to make a fresh start, I would have much preferred somebody up and coming, like a commercial with Giannis + Luka or something like that.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by CJH Hidden Content
    Don't be loyal to a company, be loyal to good product and service.
    Past Rides:
    Audi A6 4.2L
    QX80 - @Big Salvage Yard in the Sky
    Audi S4 2.7TT
    Durango Limited Hemi 5.7L
    Ford Explorer 5.0L
    Pontiac Grand AM 3.4L
    Chevy Corsica 3.0L
    Toyota Tercel "Turdcel"
    Ford LTD Station Wagon 5.0L "Blue Thunder"

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,596 Times in 1,046 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

Feb. 2 nd is not that far away....

Looking forward and hopeful its not a shot of the taillight for all to gaggle over.
    2008 black c6 corvette z51 m6 on black c7 z51 19/20s and 2018 Bright red alfa stelvio ti sport on 20 s with sport seats

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JBsZ06 For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (01-10-2020),impala02 (01-10-2020),jzchev28 (01-11-2020)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,157 Times in 4,387 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

^^^^This post is racist as -----. The dude literally built a state of the art school for inner city kids to have a chance at a decent education, and you just come in and call him and his kind thugs, criminals and drug abusers. I mean, what in the hell does he have to do, in your eyes to see him as a decent human being. Look past the skin, my dude, I'll send some prayers your way in hopes that the man upstairs changes your though process.

#ThisisMurica2020
    This is the silliest bucket of snowball rubbish I've seen in a long time. Thug is code word for...thug. Try growing up sometime, snowflake.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

25. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (01-10-2020),1999 White C5 Coupe (01-11-2020),Bigdog (01-14-2020),BlackGTP (01-10-2020),canadian.bacon (01-13-2020),jzchev28 (01-11-2020),posaune (01-13-2020),RamJet502 (01-14-2020),Stéphane Dumas (01-11-2020),TruckMan (01-10-2020)

26. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information