Honda CEO Tells Of Quality "Crisis"; Engineer Blames "Crazy Complexity"

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Honda CEO Tells Of Quality "Crisis"; Engineer Blames "Crazy Complexity"

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,949 Times in 1,078 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Jaguar F-Type (Manual)

Honda CEO Tells Of Quality "Crisis"; Engineer Blames "Crazy Complexity"

The Detroit News
    December 10, 2019

At a two-day gathering for Honda's suppliers in March, Chief Executive Takahiro Hachigo sounded the alarm.

At the Hotel Higashinihon in Utsunomiya, Hachigo told them the Japanese automaker was facing a crisis after a string of costly recalls and other quality blunders and it needed to plot a new course, according to two people who attended the meeting.

"Decades ago, localisation ... was the buzz word and our tech center independence was a key driver for innovation," said a former Honda executive who now is the head of one of its suppliers. "Those days are over."

In the 1980s and much of the 1990s, the name Honda struck terror into the hearts of executives at the big three U.S. carmakers in Detroit because they simply couldn't match its low-cost, efficient, well-built cars.

But after a slew of recalls since 2014 for problems with components such as airbags, sliding doors and engines, Honda's status as a benchmark for quality and efficiency has been seriously damaged - and the quality crisis is hitting profits.

According to five Honda insiders, quality blunders have helped squeeze the operating margin at its global automotive business to 2%-3% - giving it less room for manoeuvre just as bigger rivals are building partnerships and overhauling their operations to become stronger.

In J.D. Power's study of vehicle dependability in the United States, one of Honda's two main auto markets along with China, the Japanese brand fell to 18th place this year from 5th in 2015 and 4th in 2002, its highest ranking.

A senior engineer described Honda's problem as "crazy complexity," where too many regional models, types, options and derivatives were "eating up our profit." Honda's 2020 Accord sedan comes in 13 versions, including three hybrids. GM's rival Malibu has only five.

"Quality is acting up," the engineer said. "Honda has created too many regional models, in addition to an array of types, options and derivatives for its global models."

In the United States, for example, Honda's 2020 Accord sedan comes in 13 versions, including three hybrids. GM's rival Malibu has five, though it doesn't have hybrid models. At the two-day meeting in Utsunomiya, Hachigo and his procurement managers told suppliers to help Honda slash its range of cars and dumb down model types and options. They called on suppliers to use more common parts, from engines and transmissions to door handles, rear view mirrors and even knobs and switches, according to two people who attended the meeting and slides Honda used in presentations.

In the four years before the Takata debacle, warranty provisions ranged from 171 billion to 274 billion yen, before surging to 727 billion in the year ending March 2016.

In 2018, for example, Honda recalled about 600,000 cars in China because sludge was collecting in the engines of six models when driven in cold weather while the sliding doors on its U.S. Odyssey minivans started opening while the vehicles were moving.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Perian For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (12-11-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,949 Times in 1,078 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Jaguar F-Type (Manual)

Re: Honda CEO Tells Of Quality "Crisis"; Engineer Blames "Crazy Complexity"

In the United States, for example, Honda's 2020 Accord sedan comes in 13 versions, including three hybrids. GM's rival Malibu has five, though it doesn't have hybrid models. At the two-day meeting in Utsunomiya, Hachigo and his procurement managers told suppliers to help Honda slash its range of cars and dumb down model types and options. They called on suppliers to use more common parts, from engines and transmissions to door handles, rear view mirrors and even knobs and switches, according to two people who attended the meeting and slides Honda used in presentations.
    This is incredible.

The can-do-no-wrong Honda Motor Company has become a 1980s version of General Motors.

General Motors on the other hand, is on its way to becoming a 1980s version of the much admired (then) Honda Motor Company. Anyone who questions this statement should take a look at the new Tahoe & Suburban.

5. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Perian For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (12-11-2019),Al465 (12-11-2019),BlackGTP (12-11-2019),bongos2u (12-11-2019),Citation84 (12-23-2019),eklauss (12-11-2019),jzchev28 (12-11-2019),mbukukanyau (12-11-2019),posaune (12-27-2019),SRFCTY (12-11-2019),Stéphane Dumas (12-11-2019),Vagon11 (12-11-2019)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Blaming parts suppliers for poor quality is a cheap excuse that Honda should not learn from GM. You get what you pay for and if any manufacturer looks at lower cost parts at lower specs, you get quality problems.

The use of common parts also brings out rebadging: a downfall to GM in the 80's and 90's. Not to mention a recall will effect 100's of thousands of models that use a common part.

Acura has done well with sporty/luxury versions of Honda products. I'm sure many parts are already reused for the engine and electrical.

Quality testing and high tolerance requirements makes for a better product, not dumbing down the design.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to joey For This Useful Post:

Chassis Guy (12-13-2019)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Mercedes is also finally realizing their crazy number of model derivatives. Customer choice is good but it's going to eventually catch up with the company.
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Current Vehicles:

2017 Buick Lacrosse

2017 Buick Envision

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clownzilla For This Useful Post:

69gtsdart (12-12-2019),Neanderthal (12-11-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    Cruze 2.0L Turbo Diesel

One thing Honda can't do that GM can....blame it on the union.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lowboy For This Useful Post:

canadian.bacon (12-12-2019),hydrogen (12-16-2019),V-Car (12-17-2019)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar gkr778's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,344 Times in 1,209 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 BMW 320i and '72 Nova

Quote Originally Posted by joey View Post
    Acura has done well with sporty/luxury versions of Honda products.
    Acura did that better 20 years ago than they do now. Their lineup of sedans (ILX, TLX, RLX) doesn't compete well with other luxury brands, or even the Honda branded counterparts.

NSX is a nice halo vehicle for the brand, though.
    God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

14. The Following User Says Thank You to gkr778 For This Useful Post:

CJH (12-11-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,173 Times in 4,071 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
    Acura did that better 20 years ago than they do now. Their lineup of sedans (ILX, TLX, RLX) doesn't compete well with other luxury brands, or even the Honda branded counterparts.

NSX is a nice halo vehicle for the brand, though.
    I do wonder if their approach with Acura is hurting the mainstream Honda brand in a way. Being Acura is more near-luxury vs. actual luxury and it seems mainstream brands can now cover near-luxury, is Acura taking away some goodies and fun stuff from Honda in order to differentiate themselves from one another? Not sure if I explained my meaning very well...

It is hard to believe Honda has sunk so low in the rankings, yet they have. The interesting part is they are still perceived as grade A Japanese quality - perceptions take a long time to change. People still stay away from domestics even though they are much better now (excluding FCA) and flock to Honda even though they've tanked.....

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

eklauss (12-11-2019),gkr778 (12-11-2019)

CJH
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,625 Times in 911 Posts
    My Ride
    Audi S4, Merc GL

I think Honda is having an identity crisis, they don't know what they want to be anymore.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by CJH Hidden Content
    Don't be loyal to a company, be loyal to good product and service.
    Past Rides:
    Audi A6 4.2L
    QX80 - @Big Salvage Yard in the Sky
    Audi S4 2.7TT
    Durango Limited Hemi 5.7L
    Ford Explorer 5.0L
    Pontiac Grand AM 3.4L
    Chevy Corsica 3.0L
    Toyota Tercel "Turdcel"
    Ford LTD Station Wagon 5.0L "Blue Thunder"

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CJH For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (12-17-2019),gkr778 (12-11-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by CJH View Post
    I think Honda is having an identity crisis, they don't know what they want to be anymore.
    Makes sense, Honda is a company founded on fun, sporty cars and the market has shifted to the opposite - roomy, comfortable, not-fun CUV's.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

eklauss (12-11-2019),gkr778 (12-11-2019),skylark68 (12-12-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    It is hard to believe Honda has sunk so low in the rankings, yet they have. The interesting part is they are still perceived as grade A Japanese quality - perceptions take a long time to change.
    +1
    At the same time, consumer perception (positive or negative) can only last so long if that perception deviates from reality. If Mr. Hachigo doesn't solve the quality and manufacturing complexity issues at Honda, some of the goodwill the company built up over several decades may be lost.
    God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gkr778 For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (12-11-2019),richmond2000 (12-11-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
    +1
    At the same time, consumer perception (positive or negative) can only last so long if that perception deviates from reality. If Mr. Hachigo doesn't solve the quality and manufacturing complexity issues at Honda, some of the goodwill the company built up over several decades may be lost.
    GM is a great example! Used to have a sterling reputation and it took them a long time to squander that reputation and it appears it will take an even longer time to redeem themselves.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

gkr778 (12-11-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 869 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    Makes sense, Honda is a company founded on fun, sporty cars and the market has shifted to the opposite - roomy, comfortable, not-fun CUV's.
    I wonder if the first seeds of Honda's identity crisis might be related to the dropping of the Prelude and the introduction of the Element aka Excrement aka Ugliyment?

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stéphane Dumas For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (12-17-2019),BlackGTP (12-11-2019),skylark68 (12-12-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Stéphane Dumas View Post
    I wonder if the first seeds of Honda's identity crisis might be related to the dropping of the Prelude and the introduction of the Element aka Excrement aka Ugliyment?
    Could be. I wonder what Honda's demographics are. Obviously they still do very well in the USA, but who is buying them? Used to be a young persons car company, a lot of youth buying Civics, etc.. Used to be you couldn't swing a stick without hitting a Civic, now I don't see them very often. I wonder if Honda's customer base is aging as they've become confused what to do. Seems like sporty is kind of easy to do (evidence is GM - sport is the one thing they do very well and fall down everywhere else), without that easy target to hit ".90 g's on the skidpad" do they not know what to do?

Though to be fair, I get the general sense that a lot of the manufacturers are not sure what the 20 something age group wants.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (12-11-2019),Citation84 (12-23-2019),Stéphane Dumas (12-11-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,745 Times in 1,247 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Quote Originally Posted by Perian View Post
    This is incredible.

The can-do-no-wrong Honda Motor Company has become a 1980s version of General Motors.

General Motors on the other hand, is on its way to becoming a 1980s version of the much admired (then) Honda Motor Company. Anyone who questions this statement should take a look at the new Tahoe & Suburban.

I don't see ANYTHING about the NEW Tahoe/Suburban that has ANYTHING to do with 1980's Honda
    the TAHOE has 7 versions in itself + a similar number for GMC's version + a few more for the CADDY version and EVERY VERSION has unique interiors AND front/rear ends

IMHO the 80's Suburban was a LOT like Honda is referencing ONE basic component set for EVERY VERSION front / rear same outside of badging across truck AND SUV versions identical interior across all versions
    BUT that was the REBADGE-ARAMA era

Thanks
    My Ride

Somewhat ironically, a Honda ad 40 years ago had the answer that Honda as a company needs today.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gkr778 For This Useful Post:

Chassis Guy (12-13-2019),Neanderthal (12-12-2019)

32. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information