The History of GM Design

  1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

    Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!
     
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 46

Thread: The History of GM Design

  1. #1
    News Contributor Premium Member EJD1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    5,494
    Thanks
    1,167
    Thanked 2,398 Times in 1,170 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 GMC Sierra

    The History of GM Design

    The History of GM Design
    Autoline This Week 2021
    Published on Jun 30, 2016


  2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EJD1984 For This Useful Post:

    knightfan26917 (07-03-2016),rockyspaw (07-04-2016),t-rexx (07-02-2016),XP300 (07-06-2016)

  3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  4. #2
    3.6 Liter SIDI V6 Watchdevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    1,073
    Thanks
    103
    Thanked 349 Times in 184 Posts

    Re: The History of GM Design

    Of course the beautiful cars we see in the video are not going to production!
    ---

  5. #3
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8 bmwboy2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Columbus Circle
    Posts
    3,398
    Thanks
    248
    Thanked 1,292 Times in 681 Posts

    Re: The History of GM Design

    Quote Originally Posted by Watchdevil View Post
    Of course the beautiful cars we see in the video are not going to production!
    So typical.. They show us these:






    ...and give us those:



    Last edited by bmwboy2007; 07-02-2016 at 02:45 AM.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bmwboy2007 For This Useful Post:

    jalberda (07-03-2016),knightfan26917 (07-03-2016)

  7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  8. #4
    Corvette C7 megeebee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    16,689
    Thanks
    5,074
    Thanked 3,234 Times in 1,933 Posts

    Re: The History of GM Design

    Quote Originally Posted by bmwboy2007 View Post
    So typical.. They show us these:






    ...and give us those:



    Not fair.

    Those concept cars came after the production cars you posted.

    These came after, and were obviously inspired by, the concepts:









    What book of rules states that every automaker that shows a concept is obligated to deliver it to a showroom? You guys don't even know if those two even COULD have been built as is. Concepts are not designed with production/assembly issues or Federal regulations in mind.
    Last edited by megeebee; 07-02-2016 at 09:22 AM.
    "The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere the ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity. "

    W.B. Yeats- 1919



    .

  9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to megeebee For This Useful Post:

    knightfan26917 (07-03-2016),ryannel2003 (07-02-2016),Tone (07-04-2016),usa1 (07-05-2016),yello430 (07-02-2016)

  10. #5
    3.6 Liter SIDI V6 Premium Member yello430's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    1,031
    Thanks
    407
    Thanked 592 Times in 284 Posts
    My Ride
    '20 Cadillac CT6

    Re: The History of GM Design

    Cool, I'm in the video of the 'patio' shot. Still using those old videos
    Hidden Content

    twitter: forzablitz

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to yello430 For This Useful Post:

    megeebee (07-04-2016)

  12. #6
    Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tampa
    Posts
    13,337
    Thanks
    5,697
    Thanked 848 Times in 469 Posts

    Re: The History of GM Design

    Quote Originally Posted by megeebee View Post
    Not fair.

    Those concept cars came after the production cars you posted.

    These came after, and were obviously inspired by, the concepts:









    What book of rules states that every automaker that shows a concept is obligated to deliver it to a showroom? You guys don't even know if those two even COULD have been built as is. Concepts are not designed with production/assembly issues or Federal regulations in mind.
    Cadillac announced back then that the Voyage and Solitaire were fully producible.....Roger Smith killed both. It is now 2016 and we are STILL waiting for Cadillac to be "The Standard of The World".
    "The only normal people are the ones you don't know well". unknown


    Hidden Content

    Hidden Content

    Hidden Content

  13. #7
    3.6 Liter SIDI V6 Premium Member yello430's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    1,031
    Thanks
    407
    Thanked 592 Times in 284 Posts
    My Ride
    '20 Cadillac CT6

    Re: The History of GM Design

    Quote Originally Posted by johnstarnes View Post
    Cadillac announced back then that the Voyage and Solitaire were fully producible.....Roger Smith killed both. It is now 2016 and we are STILL waiting for Cadillac to be "The Standard of The World".
    Good thing you weren't holding your breath.
    'Fully producible?' I don't think so.
    Roger was a smart guy, but he didn't know much about cars.
    Hidden Content

    twitter: forzablitz

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to yello430 For This Useful Post:

    megeebee (07-04-2016)

  15. #8
    Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tampa
    Posts
    13,337
    Thanks
    5,697
    Thanked 848 Times in 469 Posts

    Re: The History of GM Design

    Quote Originally Posted by yello430 View Post
    Good thing you weren't holding your breath.
    'Fully producible?' I don't think so.
    Roger was a smart guy, but he didn't know much about cars.
    "Fully producible".....have you never seen the video made back then about them on YouTube? I have many times.
    "The only normal people are the ones you don't know well". unknown


    Hidden Content

    Hidden Content

    Hidden Content

  16. #9
    3.6 Liter SIDI V6 Premium Member yello430's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    1,031
    Thanks
    407
    Thanked 592 Times in 284 Posts
    My Ride
    '20 Cadillac CT6

    Re: The History of GM Design

    Quote Originally Posted by johnstarnes View Post
    "Fully producible".....have you never seen the video made back then about them on YouTube? I have many times.
    Like I said, Roger was a smart guy, just didn't know that much about cars. Regardless of what the video said, trust me, no one ever expected those cars to get to production.
    Just because he said it didn't necessarily make it so.
    Hidden Content

    twitter: forzablitz

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to yello430 For This Useful Post:

    megeebee (07-04-2016)

  18. #10
    Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tampa
    Posts
    13,337
    Thanks
    5,697
    Thanked 848 Times in 469 Posts

    Re: The History of GM Design

    Quote Originally Posted by yello430 View Post
    Like I said, Roger was a smart guy, just didn't know that much about cars. Regardless of what the video said, trust me, no one ever expected those cars to get to production.
    Just because he said it didn't necessarily make it so.
    If Roger was so smart why did was he the CEO of GM? As to trust, I'll trust the video and auto mags of the time who said it was producible and had to be produced to save Cadillac's reputation.
    "The only normal people are the ones you don't know well". unknown


    Hidden Content

    Hidden Content

    Hidden Content

  19. #11
    6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,086
    Thanks
    2,390
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 568 Posts
    My Ride
    '19 Honda Accord Sport

    Re: The History of GM Design

    Quote Originally Posted by megeebee View Post
    Not fair.

    Those concept cars came after the production cars you posted.

    These came after, and were obviously inspired by, the concepts:



    One of the most beautiful Cadillacs ever, IMO.
    2019 Honda Accord Sport

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ryannel2003 For This Useful Post:

    AMcA (07-05-2016),megeebee (07-04-2016)

  21. #12
    3.6 Liter SIDI V6 Premium Member yello430's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    1,031
    Thanks
    407
    Thanked 592 Times in 284 Posts
    My Ride
    '20 Cadillac CT6

    Re: The History of GM Design

    Quote Originally Posted by johnstarnes View Post
    If Roger was so smart why did was he the CEO of GM? As to trust, I'll trust the video and auto mags of the time who said it was producible and had to be produced to save Cadillac's reputation.
    OK then...
    Hidden Content

    twitter: forzablitz

  22. #13
    Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tampa
    Posts
    13,337
    Thanks
    5,697
    Thanked 848 Times in 469 Posts

    Re: The History of GM Design

    I REALLY look forward to seeing Cadillac's next "concept car" to see what comes next.
    "The only normal people are the ones you don't know well". unknown


    Hidden Content

    Hidden Content

    Hidden Content

  23. #14
    News Contributor Premium Member EJD1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    5,494
    Thanks
    1,167
    Thanked 2,398 Times in 1,170 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 GMC Sierra

    Re: The History of GM Design

    Quote Originally Posted by johnstarnes View Post
    I REALLY look forward to seeing Cadillac's next "concept car" to see what comes next.
    Honestly, I'm not too sure I am.

    I'm getting a little weary of GM showing concept cars that are nearly production ready (exterior). GM brass will make vague production comments getting our hopes up - Then.....................NOTHING!
    Elmiraj
    130R
    Avenir
    Avista

    I'd rather just have no concepts, with their recent track record.

  24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EJD1984 For This Useful Post:

    1958carnut (07-02-2016),2b2 (07-02-2016),377Z (07-13-2016),johnstarnes (07-02-2016)

  25. #15
    Chevrolet VOLT
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    St. George, Ut. (The Banned Section ;))
    Posts
    10,562
    Thanks
    13,932
    Thanked 4,054 Times in 2,615 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

    Re: The History of GM Design

    Quote Originally Posted by EJD1984 View Post
    Honestly, I'm not too sure I am.

    I'm getting a little weary of GM showing concept cars that are nearly production ready (exterior). GM brass will make vague production comments getting our hopes up - Then.....................NOTHING!
    Elmiraj
    130R
    Avenir
    Avista

    I'd rather just have no concepts, with their recent track record.
    You're not the only one. It is getting really old the things going on at GM when it comes to show cars, concepts and the like. Sometimes I'd just rather be surprised or get spy shots of an upcoming product because we know it will be so watered down if it makes it that far even.

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

    johnstarnes (07-02-2016)

  27. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2