The Hidden Cost of Car Safety Features

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Hidden Cost of Car Safety Features

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,333 Times in 4,568 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news...cid=spartanntp

January 30, 2020

After the windshield cracked on Ted Hine’s 2017 Subaru Forester, he was shocked when a dealership quoted $1,400 for a replacement. Safelite AutoGlass, a national auto glass repair and replacement chain, was cheaper but still surprisingly high at $910. Hine recalled paying $150 as recently as five years ago for a similar repair on his previous car, and a mobile technician did the job right in his driveway.

“I’m 74 years old and retired, on a limited fixed income,” Hine said. “I can’t afford $900-plus for a windshield every time a truck randomly throws a rock at me.”

Hine’s Subaru has EyeSight, a suite of advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS) that includes forward collision warning (FCW), automatic emergency braking (AEB), lane departure warning (LDW), and adaptive cruise control (ACC). EyeSight’s components include a pair of cameras mounted inside the windshield that help ACC and other convenience and advanced safety systems, such as AEB, calculate the distance from the car to objects ahead. A windshield replacement for Hine’s Subaru now requires glass that’s more complex to manufacture, so the cameras can see clearly. The cameras must also be recalibrated by technicians using expensive equipment.

EyeSight is available on most new Subarus. The manufacturer isn’t the only one with this type of system. Most new cars and trucks for sale are now available with various ADAS features.

Continues at link

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Banned
    Thanks
    My Ride

Re: The Hidden Cost of Car Safety Features

Long read but interesting. It's an obvious topic when you stop and think about it, but I had never stopped and thought about it. Amazing about some of the costs they quoted with having all of these sensors. I still want them - I don't pretend that I've never looked down at the radio then looked up in a panic and had to hit the brakes hard. I for one appreciate all the help I can get to avoid such incidences.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

jzchev28 (02-04-2020),Robert1969 (02-03-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,749 Times in 2,430 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

And we wonder why the prices of vehicles are going into the stratosphere. All these things we think we have to have today. Remember the good old days with hand crank windows, AM/FM radio, 2 speed wipers and the like...

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

buildacariwant (02-01-2020),eklauss (02-03-2020),jzchev28 (02-04-2020),Mr.Buttons (02-01-2020)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

People also fall into this false sense of extra safety and they no longer have to worry about driving defensively. All of this over priced junk cannot avoid most accidents. Staying off your cell phones will give you a thousand times better safety.

9. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to joey For This Useful Post:

09W (02-01-2020),1958carnut (02-01-2020),bongos2u (02-01-2020),buildacariwant (02-01-2020),Ed753 (02-02-2020),mbukukanyau (02-01-2020),Mr.Buttons (02-01-2020),Neanderthal (02-01-2020),partsman (02-02-2020),richmond2000 (02-01-2020),Rumpole (02-01-2020),Ruperts Trooper (02-02-2020),sledgehammer777 (02-04-2020),SRFCTY (02-02-2020),Stéphane Dumas (02-01-2020),Vagon11 (02-01-2020)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    CTS-Vagon/11/BD/VetGS/19/white

For me the real crazy is the commercial where the dad looks in the back seat at the kids and misses the brakes in front. Then time slows and he looks at his wife and kids, but the car saves him. I know they think they are selling good, but I take serious issues with it. 1. wtf, why is he looking in the back seat at his kids in the first place? Wife is sitting next to him and is not driving. If the kids need attending, the passenger should be doing it. 2. Why is he looking at wife & kids when he is in an emergency situation, after he misses the braking car in front, he really thinks it is a good idea to look at the kids again, before the imminent crash? What the commercial conveys to me is don't pay attention, the car will take care of you, an incompetent idiot.

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Vagon11 For This Useful Post:

eklauss (02-03-2020),jzchev28 (02-04-2020),Mr.Buttons (02-01-2020),richmond2000 (02-01-2020),Robert1969 (02-03-2020),Rumpole (02-01-2020),Ruperts Trooper (02-02-2020)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,749 Times in 4,672 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by Vagon11 View Post
    For me the real crazy is the commercial where the dad looks in the back seat at the kids and misses the brakes in front. Then time slows and he looks at his wife and kids, but the car saves him. I know they think they are selling good, but I take serious issues with it. 1. wtf, why is he looking in the back seat at his kids in the first place? Wife is sitting next to him and is not driving. If the kids need attending, the passenger should be doing it. 2. Why is he looking at wife & kids when he is in an emergency situation, after he misses the braking car in front, he really thinks it is a good idea to look at the kids again, before the imminent crash? What the commercial conveys to me is don't pay attention, the car will take care of you, an incompetent idiot.
    He's a dumb

The ad writer/s a dumb

The agency staff probably don't drive.

Then at the end, the kid makes a face at dad because he's a dumbass and 6-year-olds making fun of adults is high humor and has been for a long time.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (02-01-2020),jzchev28 (02-04-2020),Mr.Buttons (02-01-2020),Vagon11 (02-02-2020)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news...cid=spartanntp

January 30, 2020

After the windshield cracked on Ted Hine’s 2017 Subaru Forester, he was shocked when a dealership quoted $1,400 for a replacement. Safelite AutoGlass, a national auto glass repair and replacement chain, was cheaper but still surprisingly high at $910. Hine recalled paying $150 as recently as five years ago for a similar repair on his previous car, and a mobile technician did the job right in his driveway.

“I’m 74 years old and retired, on a limited fixed income,” Hine said. “I can’t afford $900-plus for a windshield every time a truck randomly throws a rock at me.”

Hine’s Subaru has EyeSight, a suite of advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS) that includes forward collision warning (FCW), automatic emergency braking (AEB), lane departure warning (LDW), and adaptive cruise control (ACC). EyeSight’s components include a pair of cameras mounted inside the windshield that help ACC and other convenience and advanced safety systems, such as AEB, calculate the distance from the car to objects ahead. A windshield replacement for Hine’s Subaru now requires glass that’s more complex to manufacture, so the cameras can see clearly. The cameras must also be recalibrated by technicians using expensive equipment.

EyeSight is available on most new Subarus. The manufacturer isn’t the only one with this type of system. Most new cars and trucks for sale are now available with various ADAS features.

Continues at link
    Mr. Ted Hine should buy comprehensive glass coverage (with a deductible or no deductible), so he won’t have to worry about paying $910 for glass replacement. Glass breakage coverage on vehicles is very affordable.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 1999 White C5 Coupe For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (02-02-2020)

09W
    Thanks

It's the 100 different 'very affordables' which add up to one big 'unaffordable'. Should Mr Hine also not worry about paying for a separate glass rider for 15 or 20 years when he may never break a windshield?

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 09W For This Useful Post:

jzchev28 (02-04-2020),Neanderthal (02-02-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by 1999 White C5 Coupe View Post
    Mr. Ted Hine should buy comprehensive glass coverage (with a deductible or no deductible), so he won’t have to worry about paying $910 for glass replacement. Glass breakage coverage on vehicles is very affordable.
    I've had my windshield replaced 3 times in my lifetime with glass coverage. $0 out of pocket.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

1999 White C5 Coupe (02-02-2020),gkr778 (02-02-2020),GMOwner (02-03-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by joey View Post
    People also fall into this false sense of extra safety and they no longer have to worry about driving defensively. All of this over priced junk cannot avoid most accidents. Staying off your cell phones will give you a thousand times better safety.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_...n_U.S._by_year

Except the death rate per mile driven has been going down in spite of people using cell phones while driving.... I do agree that nothing is better than being attentive and you can't 100% rely on these aids, but I think it's undeniable that they do more good than bad.

I want this safety help. I won't pretend my eyes stay glued to the road and hands glued to the steering wheel 100% of the time.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

eklauss (02-03-2020),gkr778 (02-02-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2020 Camaro/Now on hold. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    He's a dumb

The ad writer/s a dumb

The agency staff probably don't drive.

Then at the end, the kid makes a face at dad because he's a dumbass and 6-year-olds making fun of adults is high humor and has been for a long time.

Did you HAVE to bring up Gretchen Thornbutt again? I thought she had melted. Or melted down, leastwise.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IROCNROL1 For This Useful Post:

AusCalais (02-06-2020),Mr.Buttons (02-02-2020),Stéphane Dumas (02-02-2020)

Thanks
    Strange , I have been driving with a cracked windshield in my 2004 Silverado for ten years or more and have not had an issue it seems strange to me to even worry about it .
    2004 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 RCLB , 4.3 liter v6 5 speed .
    1985 Chevrolet Custom Deluxe 4x2 long bed 5 liter auto .

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by 1999 White C5 Coupe View Post
    Most people don't know about that coverage. Most people do not have to replace windshields. Most people don't know the cost of the toys in their cars.

Quote Originally Posted by 09W View Post
    It's the 100 different 'very affordables' which add up to one big 'unaffordable'. Should Mr Hine also not worry about paying for a separate glass rider for 15 or 20 years when he may never break a windshield?
    Insurance. Playing the odds. Odds are he wouldn't have gotten stuck with that whack the first time. Unfortunately the odds won.

Quote Originally Posted by hiluxxulih View Post
    Strange , I have been driving with a cracked windshield in my 2004 Silverado for ten years or more and have not had an issue it seems strange to me to even worry about it .
    Not everyone can do that. Some states will require you to replace that glass. Many cracks will get worse over time. You beat the odds on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by IROCNROL1 View Post
    Did you HAVE to bring up Gretchen Thornbutt again? I thought she had melted. Or melted down, leastwise.
    We met her twin sister recently. She's a local physician assistant. Manic, disorganized, can't read, full of herself. Is that close?
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 648 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_...n_U.S._by_year

Except the death rate per mile driven has been going down in spite of people using cell phones while driving.... I do agree that nothing is better than being attentive and you can't 100% rely on these aids, but I think it's undeniable that they do more good than bad.

I want this safety help. I won't pretend my eyes stay glued to the road and hands glued to the steering wheel 100% of the time.
    That's interesting, I thought I had heard rates were up. Maybe I was thinking of pedestrian deaths which are up a lot since 2010:

https://www.ghsa.org/resources/Pedestrians19
    Current ride: 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8L 5sp manual sedan
    Previous ride: 1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2L 5sp manual
    Next ride, pre-pandemic: Maybe a 2021 2.0T CT4, weekend car, keep the Sonic as DD
    Next ride, post-pandemic: Keep driving the Sonic!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to dannyg For This Useful Post:

Vagon11 (02-02-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by dannyg View Post
    That's interesting, I thought I had heard rates were up. Maybe I was thinking of pedestrian deaths which are up a lot since 2010:

https://www.ghsa.org/resources/Pedestrians19
    The local TV folks have run two or three features on local olympic marathon hopefuls. Two videos showed them running with traffic on country roads. That of course is contrary to everything we've been taught since childhood.

One girl was out in the traffic lane, the road had big bicycle/walking lanes on both sides of the roads.

Between distracted (50% by observation locally) or stupid drivers and stupid or intoxicated pedestrians, it's not a good idea for a warm soft flesh carbon unit to argue with a 3000-6000 hunk of steel going 30+ MPH.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Hidden Content

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

eklauss (02-03-2020)

30. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information