GM's Future EVs to Debut Industry’s First Wireless Battery Management System

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: GM's Future EVs to Debut Industry’s First Wireless Battery Management System

Thanks
    Thanked 1,099 Times in 469 Posts
    My Ride
    18 Regal GS / 04 Canyon Z71

GM's Future EVs to Debut Industry’s First Wireless Battery Management System

General Motors’ Future Electric Vehicles to Debut Industry’s First Wireless Battery Management System
    General Motors
    September 9, 2020

Technology developed in collaboration with Analog Devices, Inc.

DETROIT — General Motors will be the first automaker to use an almost completely wireless battery management system, or wBMS, for production electric vehicles. This wireless system, developed with Analog Devices, Inc., will be a primary driver of GM’s ability to ultimately power many different types of electric vehicles from a common set of battery components.

The wBMS is expected to drive GM’s Ultium-powered EVs to market faster, as time won’t be needed to develop specific communications systems or redesign complex wiring schemes for each new vehicle. Instead, the wBMS helps to ensure the scalability of Ultium batteries across GM’s future lineup, encompassing different brands and vehicle segments, from heavy-duty trucks to performance vehicles.

Much like the pack design of GM’s Ultium batteries, which is flexible enough to incorporate new chemistry over time as technology changes, the wBMS’ basic structure can easily receive new features as software becomes available. With expanded over-the-air updates provided by GM’s all-new Vehicle Intelligence Platform, the system could even be upgraded over time with new software-based features via smartphone-like updates.

“Scalability and complexity reduction are a theme with our Ultium batteries – the wireless battery management system is the critical enabler of this amazing flexibility,” said Kent Helfrich, GM executive director of Global Electrification and Battery Systems. “The wireless system represents the epitome of Ultium’s configurability and should help GM build profitable EVs at scale.”

The wBMS will help GM’s electric vehicles balance chemistry within the individual battery cell groups for optimal performance. It can also conduct real-time battery pack health checks and refocus the network of modules and sensors as needed – this helps safeguard battery health over the vehicle’s lifespan.

By reducing wires within the batteries by up to 90 percent, the wireless system can help extend charging range by creating lighter vehicles overall and opening extra room for more batteries. The space and flexibility created by this reduction in wires not only enables a cleaner design, but also simpler and more streamlined battery restructuring as needed and more robust manufacturing processes.

This wireless system also provides a unique repurposing capability for battery reuse in secondary applications more easily than conventional wired monitoring systems. When the wireless packs are capacity-reduced to the point where they are no longer ideal for optimum vehicle performance, but still functional as consistent power supplies, they can be combined with other wireless battery packs to form clean power generators. This can be done without a redesign or overhaul of the battery management system traditionally required in second-life usage.

GM’s wireless battery management system is protected by cybersecurity measures that are foundational to the company’s all-new electrical architecture or Vehicle Intelligence Platform. The DNA of this system includes protective features within the hardware and software layers, including protection of wireless communications.

“General Motors is paving the way toward an all-electric future, and Analog Devices is proud to work with this highly respected automotive leader on the next generation of electric vehicles,” said Greg Henderson, Analog Devices, Inc. senior vice president of Automotive, Communications, and Aerospace & Defense. “Our collaboration is aimed at accelerating the transition to electric vehicles and a sustainable future.”

The wireless battery monitoring system will be standard on all planned GM vehicles powered by Ultium batteries.
    Last edited by BahamaTodd; 09-09-2020 at 08:19 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BahamaTodd For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (09-09-2020),mbukukanyau (09-09-2020),rand49er (09-09-2020)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 9,892 Times in 4,818 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Re: GM's Future EVs to Debut Industry’s First Wireless Battery Management System

The more I read these articles the more I appreciate the amount of work GM has put into this system, seems like moonshot stuff. Of course, I do realize I don't fully understand the science, therefore I can't tell where the science ends and marketing spin picks up. Either way, I suspect GM is ahead of other manufacturers.

I feel like GM has looked hard at it's legacy production and areas where they can do better and translated that to this new battery tech and production.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

eklauss (09-11-2020),rand49er (09-09-2020)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,124 Times in 3,940 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Re: GM's Future EVs to Debut Industry’s First Wireless Battery Management System

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    The more I read these articles the more I appreciate the amount of work GM has put into this system, seems like moonshot stuff. Of course, I do realize I don't fully understand the science, therefore I can't tell where the science ends and marketing spin picks up. Either way, I suspect GM is ahead of other manufacturers.

I feel like GM has looked hard at it's legacy production and areas where they can do better and translated that to this new battery tech and production.
    I remember Reuss saying on Autoline a few years back that their goal is to own and lead in both battery chem and electric vehicles including, propulsions and related manufacturing infrastructure.
    I have seen people claim that LG chem owns the batteries. The only LG chem battery Chemistry is in the Bolt and spark EV. The Volt and Ultium are GM chemistry. What LG brings into the equation is battery manufacturing knowhow. And since its a JV for Ultium, GM is going to get a front row seat on manufacturing batteries on a large scale.

This is the real deal it would seem.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (09-09-2020),eklauss (09-11-2020),rand49er (09-09-2020),Rumpole (09-09-2020)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,099 Times in 469 Posts
    My Ride
    18 Regal GS / 04 Canyon Z71

According to this article, the next Ultium EV that we will see after the Hummer and Lyriq, is the Chevy pickup.

https://spectrum.ieee.org/cars-that-...lyand-remotely

A reborn, electric GMC Hummer with up to 1,000 horsepower will be the first of about 20 GM Ultium-powered models, mainly for the U.S. and Chinese markets, when it reaches showrooms next year. It will be followed by a Cadillac Lyriq crossover SUV in 2022, and soon thereafter by an electric Chevrolet pickup.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BahamaTodd For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (09-09-2020),eklauss (09-11-2020),rand49er (09-09-2020)

11. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information