GM's "29" Lapel Pins Need Revision; Market Share Falls Below 20%

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GM's "29" Lapel Pins Need Revision; Market Share Falls Below 20%

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,727 Times in 1,016 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Jaguar F-Type (Manual)

GM's "29" Lapel Pins Need Revision; Market Share Falls Below 20%

From The New York Times - January 6, 2004

In 2003, G.M.'s market share dropped to 28.3 percent, said Paul Ballew, G.M.'s chief sales analyst. That is down from 28.7 percent in 2002, and the first decline for G.M. in three years. Some G.M. executives have started wearing lapel pins with ''29'' on them to encourage employees to push the company's share over that figure.

Mr. Ballew said that ''2003 was a solid year for G.M., but we didn't get to where we wanted to be.'' However, instead of saying that the company would push for market share gains in the next year, he noted that G.M.'s market share for the last five years has remained stable in the 28 percent range despite tough competition.

From Automotive News - June 4, 2008

GM's U.S. market share dips under 20% - Japanese brands nearly outsell Detroit 3

Jesse Snyder - Automotive News - June 4, 2008 - 2:00 pm ET

DETROIT -- General Motors' U.S. market share fell below 20 percent for the first time as the impact of $4 gasoline knocked the Detroit 3 into a minority share of the U.S. market in May.

The 44.4 percent share not only was the worst-ever showing for GM, Ford Motor Co. and Chrysler LLC, but it was also less than 2 percentage points ahead of the Japanese brands. Led by Honda, Japanese brands gained 5.7 percentage points to finish May with a 42.5 percent share of light vehicles. The Detroit 3 lost 7.4 points.

Also in May, GM's U.S. market share fell below 20 percent for the first time since the automaker was formed in 1908. Excluding Saab, GM sold 268,892 vehicles, down 27.5 percent from May 2007, for a 19.1 percent market share.

GM's U.S. sales lead over Japanese automaker Toyota Motor Corp. narrowed dramatically as consumers shocked by soaring fuel prices shunned light trucks for small and compact cars.

Overall May sales plunged 10.7 percent to 1.4 million units, yet Toyota still gained more than a point of market share as its volume fell 4.3 percent. Toyota finished at 18.4 percent market share, only 0.7 percentage points behind GM. In units, GM's lead over Toyota fell to 11,488 from 102,033 just a year ago.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Ambalanche's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,187 Times in 594 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Sonoma Red GMC Sierra SLT

Re: GM's "29" Lapel Pins Need Revision; Market Share Falls Below 20%

Leave it to the NY TIMES! They are probably hoping GM will just go ahead and go bankrupt! They haven't been wearing the 29 lapel pins for quite some time! They stopped when they realized that market share isn't the end-all be-all, and profit is. Profit has been elusive, but at least they are working toward it.

Edit: I read it too fast, I guess the NY Times arn't the only ones rooting against the home team....
    Last edited by Ambalanche; 06-04-2008 at 03:46 PM.

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,727 Times in 1,016 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Jaguar F-Type (Manual)

Quote Originally Posted by Ambalanche View Post
    Edit: I read it too fast, I guess the NY Times arn't the only ones rooting against the home team....
    GM has nowhere to go but UP when it comes to their market share.

Let's hope those "29" pins come back in style real soon.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 vcs2600's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Perian View Post
    GM has nowhere to go but UP when it comes to their market share.
    I don't think that's the case. Cuts in truck production, and ending production of several lame-duck models (like the minivans) means they have not hit bottom yet.

Also blaming the messenger (NY Times) is always a great tactic.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar SUPERBADD75's Avatar
    Thanks

just another doom and gloom article, but unfortunately Detroit parked itself right in the middle of this with their truck addiction. hopefully something good will come out of it. maybe in the future they'll be able to respond to sharp trends a little quicker, or at least not be so resistant to change.
    Acura: Because if you want a really nice Honda, there's only one choice.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein
    - 2008 Trailblazer LT3
    - 2009 Mustang V6 5M Premium/Pony Pack

SUPPORT AMERICA: BOYCOTT WAL-MART

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Ambalanche's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,187 Times in 594 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Sonoma Red GMC Sierra SLT

Quote Originally Posted by vcs2600 View Post

Also blaming the messenger (NY Times) is always a great tactic.
    I'm not blaming the messenger, I'm blaming the biased NY Times for thier ALWAYS anything but US themes. Doesn't matter if it's Automobiles or Politics, the US SUCKS according to them and I for one am sick of it!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,560 Times in 1,089 Posts
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

Quote Originally Posted by Ambalanche View Post
    Leave it to the NY TIMES! They are probably hoping GM will just go ahead and go bankrupt! They haven't been wearing the 29 lapel pins for quite some time! They stopped when they realized that market share isn't the end-all be-all, and profit is. Profit has been elusive, but at least they are working toward it.

Its not the NYTimes thats the problem .

Perian has usefully super imposed two articles from two sources together in the the thread starting post.

(Its also correctly labeled as such.)

They only have 1 or 2 anti GM and 'I own stock in Toyota' people - really only one, recently added product reviewer.

In fact, some of the most objective, straight forward, non koolaid laced reviews on Toyota come from there.

The problem is AN, who's brazen bias overall is exceeded only by Consumer Reports.

Notice :

From Automotive News - June 4, 2008

GM's U.S. market share dips under 20% - Japanese brands nearly outsell Detroit 3

Jesse Snyder - Automotive News - June 4, 2008 - 2:00 pm ET

DETROIT -- General Motors' U.S. market share fell below 20 percent for the first time as the impact of $4 gasoline knocked the Detroit 3 into a minority share of the U.S. market in May.
    This is an important, newsworthy story for sure, but it appears that AN is in their rapid fire volley mode to boost Toyota who performed below almost all analysts expectations although with a good volume performance.

Toyotas qualitative shorts saleswise, are even larger and may be significant - as an example, Lexus is possibly in freefall in a worldwide sense.

So AN focuses (early on in their May '08 sales reporting) on everything negative thats newsworthy - outside of Toyota, and avoids or downplays anything positive for any competitor that seriously did better than Toyota.

Honda and Nissan, in more ways than one were the real overall star performers for May amongst the 'big' 7.

Hyundai handily out performed Toyota as well.
    Last edited by AMERICA 123; 06-04-2008 at 05:08 PM.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

I remember reading the articles in which 29 lapel pins were worn prior to Wagoner taking over full control of GM. Apparently, the thinking was if GM didn't return to 29 share in its home market, of which Wagoner had direct control as president of GM NA, Wagoner allegedly wasn't supposed to be awarded the top job at GM. That threat worked out well, didn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by vcs2600 View Post
    ...Also blaming the messenger (NY Times) is always a great tactic.
    Bingo. It's historical that GM's share fell below 20%, and it deserves to be reported. GM executives apparently need constant reminders that their plan is not at all working. Losses mount, both in share and on the balance sheet.

I cannot wait till people start chiming in with lame cop-outs like "all I care about is profitability." GM's structure doesn't lend itself to profits at its present share, let alone less share. They have continued to try to cut their way to profits, yet it hasn't worked consistently for over two decades now. Anyone worth their salt in business could tell that growing the business profitably is where it's at.

Level I Members
    Thanks

Yea lets blame NY Times for speaking the truth and lets not blame rick and lutz that gave us this mess. How about blaming those two idiots who lost over 10% of market share, billions and billions dollars, closed down who know how many plants, fired so many people. But yea lets blame NY times how they are so biased against gm for just speaking the truth. The truth is RIck and Lutz will send this company in chapter 11 soon. Truck, suvs and even seven passanger crossovers are history. But no we should blame NY Times for point out facts.

Thanks

What a mess. I have always supported Wagoner and Lutz, however, I think that their time to leave has come. The problem is finding someone to take over. I can think of only one person and that is Roger Penske but he would not likely want it. Perhaps a top level executive with GE? How about some ideas from the readership?
    1966 Corvair Corsa

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

It hurts, no matter who is to blame.

It hurts that;
    1. American don't care about other Americans
    2. We are handing off our companies and jobs to foreign groups
    3. We are increasing our deficit at a rate that is near impossible to pay off
    4. Some Americans have so little concern for the companies that made our great country have the strength that it has today that they would rather tear them down than build them up.

I, for one, am getting REALLY tired of the, "it's all about me" scene.

It is NOT what makes you happy that you or your parents should be concerned about, it is that YOU do what is RIGHT and make OTHERS happy that you and your parents should be concerned about.

People are so concerned about being happy they don't care that others loose jobs or that their own taxes increase due to their stupidity. Sorry to hurt your feelings, but walmart, toyota and the like don't build their things overseas so they can sell it to you cheaper. They do it so they can make more money. It is ALL about greed and I'm tired of it.

It is greed that makes us not care what will happen to the guy making the Focus, or the schools loosing money because we have to pay off a trade deficit. It is greed that caused our current housing crisis. STOP WITH THE DARN GREED!!

Ok, enough ranting on my part. I'll cool down now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AMERICA 123 View Post
    Its not the NYTimes thats the problem...
    The problem is AN, who's brazen bias overall is exceeded only by Consumer Reports.
    I've talked with hundreds of people over time about GM's plight, and never met anyone who truly desired the harm that would fall upon the employees, economy, country etc. if GM were to fail. Some think bashing GM will "wake them up" and get management to "fly right", others think they need to be loyal fans no matter what and GM will (as if by magic) find it's way.

Sadly, all approaches to dealing with GM have failed. I think bankruptcy can not be avoided.

Banned
    Thanks

told 'em three years ago to get rid of Red Ink Rick, lost $55 Billion more. told 'em to listen to Return to Greatness and pick up 5 points, or not and lose 5. I was wrong, they lost 10. at least this year I have a commitment from George Fisher to speak before the Board, we'll see...

check out your friendly Buickman on the cover of second section Wall Street Journal today.

keep the faith my brothers.

jd

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,404 Times in 812 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    What a mess. I have always supported Wagoner and Lutz, however, I think that their time to leave has come. The problem is finding someone to take over. I can think of only one person and that is Roger Penske but he would not likely want it. Perhaps a top level executive with GE? How about some ideas from the readership?
    +1 for Penske but you're right if he likely want it

As long as it not Robert Nardelli, given the way he run at Chrysler. Maybe someone else from GE or from Boeing one of Mullaly's former right-hand men? Then I have a bad felling than someone from Paris France might land at GM instead of Chrysler...*cough.....cough....Ghosn......cough... cough*

Thanks
    My Ride
    Holdens, Saabs and 1 Escalade

Gee, didn't see this coming years ago.

8 brands, 50 models, and 20% total US marketshare.

epic lulz

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast