GM Inside News Forum banner

GM to work closely with CATL in EV push

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Neanderthal 
#1 ·
GM to work closely with CATL in EV push
YILEI SUN and BRENDA GOH
June 04, 2020
Reuters via Autonews.com

HANGHAI -- General Motors will "work very closely" with Chinese battery maker Contemporary Amperex Technology as it ramps up electric vehicle production in the world's biggest auto market, a senior executive said.

The automaker has said it would invest $20 billion by 2025 in electric and automated vehicles.

"We have already established a good working relationship and supply agreement with CATL," said Julian Blissett, GM's China president. "We will work very closely with CATL in the future."

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE

#2 ·
Good luck, suckers! (You'll need it.) :fall:

#3 · (Edited)
So, as most U.S. citizens are now balking at buying Chinese products, primarily as they see the government's heavy-handed need to control everything and paranoia when they can't, GM is bucking this tide and getting into bed deeper with them? I'm thinking this is ill-advised, and as Neanderthal says, "Good luck, suckers!"

Reactions: Syclone478
#6 ·
I'm thinking this is ill-advised, and as Neanderthal says, "Good luck, suckers!"
CATL is one of the big three firms, along with Panasonic and BYD, providing lithium ion battery technology for the EV/PHEV/HEV market globally. They have some of the most extensive R&D, manufacturing, and testing capabilities in the industry. CATL's work improving energy density of cobalt free LiFePO4 battery cells is quite impressive.

Having a good working relationship with CATL is advantageous for General Motors.

#4 ·
Note that it says “in the world’s biggest car market”...that’s China. Working with Chinese companies for vehicles sold in China makes sense. Here we’ll have Ultium batteries etc. That’s my take.

Reactions: richmond2000
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.