GM and UAW reach tentative agreement to end month-long strike - Page 3

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GM and UAW reach tentative agreement to end month-long strike

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: GM and UAW reach tentative agreement to end month-long strike

They should all be fat and happy now that they have had their fill at the trough. Now we, the consumer, get to pay the increased prices to pay for the greed...as more sales go to manufacturers who don't have to put up with this nonsense and who continue to offer quality vehicles without the UAW extortion tax added on..

2. The Following User Says Thank You to criticalmass For This Useful Post:

eklauss (10-17-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Buick Regal Turbo Black

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    Hoo boy. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

GM needs someone like Crazy Henry's thug Harry Bennet to get in there and not back down an inch.

This ain't the 1930's, Ole Harry would get his _ss whooped.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to GM4EVA For This Useful Post:

LuxuryLover (10-22-2019)

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Buick Regal Turbo Black

Quote Originally Posted by Clownzilla View Post
    I think when somebody puts a piece of paper in front of them that they get $9K+ to sign, a good number of workers are going to care less about their brothers and sisters in Lordstown. It's human nature and enough UAW workers are going to succumb to it to pass it. A lot of the people in the interviews are talking about GM opening the factories back up but I just can't see that happening (besides Hamtramck). Who knows, guess we will see Thursday.

Just heard they are keeping DHam open, to build some type of future electric powered pickup truck, and they will give the membership a $11,000.00 signing bonus upon ratification. The temp workers will receive $4,500.00. Lordstown, Baltimore, Warren transmission, and a parts distribution plant in Fontana Calif are still scheduled to close, per agreement. No mention of Oshawa Ontario.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Yes, I guess so much focus was on Lordstown because of the size of the operation. I think Oshawa is still being converted to a parts and body stamping plant.
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Current Vehicles:

2017 Buick Lacrosse

2017 Buick Envision

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks

The media is reporting the agreement will end GM’s funding of the training center, where top UAW officials have stolen and embezzled funds. I wonder where the UAW officials will look to next for their next gravey-train?

Thanks
    My Ride
    2020 Camaro/Now on hold. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    [I]By Evie Fordham FOXBusiness

Family Circle magazine will send out its last issue in December after 87 years in print.
    This is horrifically sad news! This was by far my favorite magazine! Or would have been if I were a woman. Still, I'm feeling very empathetic today (hormones?) so I feel a very palpable pang of pain here.

RIP FCM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to IROCNROL1 For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (10-17-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 TruckMan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 1,299 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Sierra Denali 6.2L

GM ought to make the signing bonus only available to the union members that vote Yes to the contract. That would be interesting some leverage. I know that there are always a bunch of union diehards that always vote NO because they want to look like a bunch of bada$$es.
    GMI Site Rules: 11. "Trolling", or making posts with the sole intention of creating problems on the forums is obviously against the forum guidelines. We define trolling as a member that appears to have the sole purpose of posting just to spite the majority of the site or cause flame wars in threads they participate in. PLEASE respect differing opinions on the site at all times!

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,753 Times in 4,673 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by GM4EVA View Post
    This ain't the 1930's, Ole Harry would get his _ss whooped.
    He did, virtually.

Ford Motor Company
    In 1944, Jack Bugas left public service to join Ford Motor Company. Henry Ford, still deeply shaken by the Lindbergh kidnapping, hired Bugas away from the FBI to protect his grandchildren, Henry Ford II and his siblings. Bugas began working under head of security Harry Bennett.[15] Some say Bennett (who had originally been hired by Henry Ford to stifle attempts at unionization) targeted hiring the "tough-as-nails former FBI man"[16] in hopes of neutralizing him, as Bugas's 1941 FBI investigation and discovery of theft from Ford's Rouge plant implicated some of Bennett's cronies.[8][17]

Edsel Ford, Henry Ford's only child, once mentioned to Bugas "how vulnerable he felt his family was to Bennett's machinations."[8] Bugas quickly became an "Edsel loyalist," and with that an enemy of Harry Bennett. Bennett once recalled that Bugas "seemed to sit around most of the day, his jacket off and his gun jutting from the shoulder holster beneath his arm."[13] When Edsel Ford died an early death in 1943 at the age of 49, his widow Eleanor blamed Bennet.

After Edsel's death, Eleanor struggled to get Henry Ford to step down and let Edsel's oldest son Henry Ford II take control of the company, including by threatening to liquidate her and Edsel's Ford stock—almost half of the outstanding shares in the company. But according to Ford II, it was a few allies, most notably Jack Bugas, who ultimately swayed the senior Ford to step aside.

When 28-year-old Ford II was selected by his grandfather in 1945 to succeed him as president of Ford (at that time America's largest private corporation), Bugas was immediately put in charge of taking control of the company from Harry Bennett's entrenched gangster element in management, and of ousting Bennett.[3] When Bugas fired Bennett in his office, Bennett called Bugas a "son of a bitch" and drew a loaded .45 automatic on him (which Bennett kept in his desk drawer, often taking target practice into the wall over a visitor's shoulder[15]). In response, Bugas pulled a .38 from his shoulder holster, exclaiming, "Don't make the mistake of pulling the trigger, because I'll kill you. I won't miss. I'll put one right through your heart, Harry."[18][19]

Kiplinger Magazine wrote in 1947 that "no one has risen faster in the Ford organization than big, brown-eyed John Bugas."[20] The "practical and energetic man"[21] ultimately became second in command at Ford as "Henry Ford II's closest confidant,"[22]. He helped restructure and revitalize the struggling company, which faced considerable financial and strategic challenges transitioning from military manufacturing to a peacetime economy, and by 1956 make it a publicly traded corporation. The Ford initial public offering was the largest and most oversubscribed the United States had ever seen, raising nearly $700 million — roughly $5 billion in today's terms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bugas
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

GM4EVA (10-18-2019),LuxuryLover (10-22-2019)

Chevrolet VOLT Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,930 Times in 2,545 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

GM could have offered all of this straight up and saved itself a month of
    strike. The terms aren't extortion as I think both sides got everything they were going to get. GM seems to have folded quicker than superman on washing day.

The absolute irony to all of this is that GM's deal is probably less in total
    terms than what Ford and FCA will offer their workers.
    Last edited by jpd80; 10-17-2019 at 06:05 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jpd80 For This Useful Post:

Chassis Guy (10-17-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
    GM could have offered all of this straight up and saved itself a month of
    strike. The terms aren't extortion as I think both sides got everything they were going to get. GM seems to have folded quicker than superman on washing day.

The absolute irony to all of this is that GM's deal is probably less in total
    terms than what Ford and FCA will offer their workers.
    If GM offered this up front then the UAW would STILL strike and GM would of had to offer even more.
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Current Vehicles:

2017 Buick Lacrosse

2017 Buick Envision

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clownzilla For This Useful Post:

eklauss (10-18-2019),TruckMan (10-19-2019)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 HHR SS

Quote Originally Posted by 1958carnut View Post
    I await this all electric pickup with bated breath.
    Just don't hold your breath till it becomes a success!

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 HHR SS

A lot of workers being interviewed are saying if the contract doesn't have everything they want then they will vote it down. Maybe just talking tough to the media but this just shows the lack of wanting to actually negotiate and just wanting everything they demand. Since the UAW negotiators knew this could happen I think it's just good enough to pass. However, I think people will be surprised how many workers will vote this down.
    Entitlement runs rampant. It will be interesting to see the details. I see the demands driving less and less UAW jobs, myself.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1999 White C5 Coupe View Post
    The media is reporting the agreement will end GM’s funding of the training center, where top UAW officials have stolen and embezzled funds. I wonder where the UAW officials will look to next for their next gravey-train?
    They can work with the Mexican drug cartels. The truck factories amazingly get unionized and the cartels have a good way to smuggle drugs into the United States.

Pope Benedict XVI

Current Vehicles:

2017 Buick Lacrosse

2017 Buick Envision

Chevrolet VOLT Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,930 Times in 2,545 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

If GM offered this up front then the UAW would STILL strike and GM would of had to offer even more.
    I doubt that very much. If an offer like this was developed in the first week, the UAW would be compelled to take it to members for consideration and most likely, it would have passed

Especially considering what you said in post 20,
    I think when somebody puts a piece of paper in front of them that they get $9K+ to sign, a good number of workers are going to care less about their brothers and sisters in Lordstown. It's human nature and enough UAW workers are going to succumb to it to pass it.
    In the end, this was all about job security for 9,000 members that had been casuals for years, GM softening a bit on new products and work at one or two plants that were closing and yes, a decent sign on bonus and pay raises through the contract.

They were never going to make GM reopen all of its old closed plants, that make no economic sense, so the best they could hope fore is job security and better pay rates. All of that and more achieved over a Ford / FCA with no strike action in the wind....
    Last edited by jpd80; 10-17-2019 at 07:37 PM.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpd80 For This Useful Post:

GM4EVA (10-18-2019),LuxuryLover (10-22-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
    I doubt that very much. If an offer like this was developed in the first week, the UAW would be compelled to take it to members for consideration and most likely, it would have passed

Especially considering what you said in post 20,

In the end, this was all about job security for 9,000 members that had been casuals for years, GM softening a bit on new products and work at one or two plants that were closing and yes, a decent sign on bonus and pay raises through the contract.

They were never going to make GM reopen all of its old closed plants, that make no economic sense, so the best they could hope fore is job security and better pay rates. All of that and more achieved over a Ford / FCA with no strike action in the wind....
    I don't know. A lot of workers seem obsessed about Lordstown an there is no way that can be economically viable at this point.

Pope Benedict XVI

Current Vehicles:

2017 Buick Lacrosse

2017 Buick Envision

25. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information